Home The Bridge
Options

Winning arena matches and losing rank?

How can I start an arena match ranked in the 1200's, win and finish ranked over 1500?

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what others have posted here about Arena and ranks, it appears that the rank shown at the beginning of a battle is often not the actual rank. I assume it may have something to do with it not updating that as frequently. Apparently going to the leaderboard for that division is the only accurate way to assess your current rank.

So in your case, you had probably dropped prior to that match, but it didn't show that in your displayed rank. Another possibility, I suppose, could be that the match was long enough that several opponents took you on and beat you while you battled, so that you might've dropped during your match. Though I'd tend to think the former explanation is more likely what happened.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess has always been two people challenge the same opponent, the first one wins and the opponent drops rank. Then you win and swap ranks, but the rank is now lower so you get that lower rank. It's a classic race condition that DB should have guarded against, but I have 0 confidence they handled it,.
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I lost a fight and gained rank. I have literally no idea how that happened.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens in Gauntlet too, when you see your rank on the main screen, then changes when you start a round. Server Display bug.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    The display bug that Data1001 noted is a possibility - especially if you weren't aware of it. But I tend to believe it derives from parallel combats being conducted involving you and/or your opponent (as both Data1001 and AviTrek described).

The one I really like is when I take on the 2nd place ship ('cause that's as high as it'll let me challenge no matter how many times I refresh), beat it, get the 10K credits, and have Picard pop up to tell me I'm #1. Umm, if I'm first, what happened to my 15K credits? (No, I'm not actually annoyed at the missing credits, just amused that the ranking and rewards don't match up.)
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Avitek is right I have had this happen a few times. Usually when it happens I am battling for top 5. Which many others do too. Pretty much this shows that the one that loses is swapped in rank with the one that won. And now imagine you won and the other person that fought won too. Basically it all depends on who is swapped first, whether you actually get the rank that you fought for or the the other persons rank which fought the same opponent.

As far as, you not seeing actual rank, once you select which division you will fight in, any rank you select is the actual rank you are fighting for. So if your rank was wrong, you still are battling for the rank you selected. If you win, may be possible that the loser could drop a 1000 in rank.
  • Options
    RogaDanarRogaDanar ✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    My guess has always been two people challenge the same opponent, the first one wins and the opponent drops rank. Then you win and swap ranks, but the rank is now lower so you get that lower rank. It's a classic race condition that DB should have guarded against, but I have 0 confidence they handled it,.

This is what I believe happened as well, it is just annoying.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Avitek is right I have had this happen a few times. Usually when it happens I am battling for top 5. Which many others do too. Pretty much this shows that the one that loses is swapped in rank with the one that won. And now imagine you won and the other person that fought won too. Basically it all depends on who is swapped first, whether you actually get the rank that you fought for or the the other persons rank which fought the same opponent.

As far as, you not seeing actual rank, once you select which division you will fight in, any rank you select is the actual rank you are fighting for. So if your rank was wrong, you still are battling for the rank you selected. If you win, may be possible that the loser could drop a 1000 in rank.

The fight for the top spot can't be just chain spot taking, because it literally happens anytime you go for top 5. I have gotten 1st a ridiculous number of times and only gotten 10k credits because I was attacking 10th place. I think the ranking just changes very fast and you don't have to lose to drop, it might be even done is micro brackets where it automatically puts you to the top of the general area you were fighing into. Certainly near the top that seems to be the case.