Home Make It So!

Crew exchange

My personnal feeling about this game is that the best improvement DB can do is to permit some sort of crew exchange inside the fleets.
Last day I spaced out a 4 stars character since I already had it immortal.
I bet 9/10 member of my fleet would have been very happy to get it.
Could you permit, let's say once a day or once a week, ONE crew exchange for each player inside the fleets.
For example I would exchange 35/100 2/4 stars Amanday Greyson with a teamate 50/100 1/4 stars Duchamps. This should be rarity for rarity but otherwise free.

Comments

• MururoaMururoa ✭✭✭
    Doh, I though that EVERYBODY would have been willing to exchange crew.
    It appears it's not the case :(
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problems and exploits crew exchanges bring are huge compared to the benefits seen by "legit" players.

It is asking for people to create slave accounts to feed into a main account and the game becomes about whoever can most efficiently create and manage as many accounts as possible.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mururoa wrote: »
    Doh, I though that EVERYBODY would have been willing to exchange crew.
    It appears it's not the case :(

It’s a noble idea but there are far too many problems associated with it. Other games I’ve seen that allow trading between players tend to have stiff restrictions on people having multiple accounts; DB likely sees multis as opportunities for more revenue.
    There are also no less than three threads already proposing some variant of this same idea on the front page. It is not a new or innovative suggestion.
  • The problems and exploits crew exchanges bring are huge compared to the benefits seen by "legit" players.

It is asking for people to create slave accounts to feed into a main account and the game becomes about whoever can most efficiently create and manage as many accounts as possible.

Is that any worse than the game being about who can spend the most obscene amounts of money?
  • R'TardigradesR'Tardigrades ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The basic motivation for this suggestion still remains a major problem in my eyes: that the sheer multitude of super rare and legendary crew, who already have low droprates, dilutes the chance of scoring multiples for any one character even further. 

A very simple way to discourage slave accounts would be to prevent accounts identified as belonging to the same user (as deduced by IP logging and cookies) from joining the same fleet. It's not foolproof, but it would certainly discourage the practise, and do so without prejudice against the legit players who play multiple accounts.

As I've mentioned, I would be more likely to pay for premium packs and double the crew offers if I thought there was any realistic chance of scoring enough multiples to immortalise certain super rare and legendary crew (particularly non-event crew). Right now, the economics of the game seem to be that a small number of whales generate the majority of the revenue. If I felt I had any chance of immortlising certain super rare or legendary crew by spending moderately on premium packs or double the crew offers, I would choose to do so more often ... and I reckon there are likely a lot of other players like me.

So I would argue there is a possibility, on the face of it at least, for such a scheme to eventually generate more revenue by encouraging a greater number of players to spend modest amounts more frequently, in the hopes of scoring that one extra star they need to ice a particular crewman.
    edited July 2018
    Other than trading, the other mechanism which might make sense to me is to skew Beholds in order to drop crew already owned far more frequently.

I've scored a Legendary Behold about 12 times while playing the game, and not once has it dropped the choice for a multiple of a card I already owned, so I can only presume this is not current practise.
    The problems and exploits crew exchanges bring are huge compared to the benefits seen by "legit" players.

Is that any worse than the game being about who can spend the most obscene amounts of money?

No, because in the current system, the owners of the game get paid and continue to produce it. If the game is all about creating multiple accounts, they aren't making anything unless they start charging for additional accounts.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t understand how people think a business can survive without paying customers. If you opened a business would you want everyone hanging out for free or would you want people to buy things?
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭

If people work hard and choose to spend their money on this game then surely that's their choice? They have my respect because its their money that keeps the game going. Also, everyone's opinions on what obscene means is different. I think the amount I've spent in 4 months is obscene. Am sure a few whales would find my total laughable.

and those players that are F2P, they also have my respect because Damon, the sheer tenacity and love for this game they have is worthy of respect.

Personally, I lasted 6 days before I started giving DB my money :s and I don't really have any!
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
    edited July 2018
    I'm not against DB monetising the game in general -- indeed, I'd love for them to make as much money as possible from this app. My flip remark about money being the decisive factor in the competitive aspect of this game was a response to the suggestion that players putting in the work creating and managing multiple accounts to gain an unfair advantage would offend the sensibilities of "legit" players. My point was simply that, in the eyes of many of us, paying to *guarantee* wins in events (and thereby *guaranteeing* the loss of everyone else who don't pay as much) might seem just as unsportsmanlike and a discouraging sort of "unfair advantange". (Of course, I actually *would* have a problem with players using slave accounts to try to take advantage of a trading scheme, which is why I mentioned a sensible remedy. I just don't get how a player who paid for victory would feel it any less hollow than that of he who laboured on an exploit.)

But I would ask to put that aside, because it is completely tangential to my principle concern. I've long since given up emotional investment in most competitive aspects of the game (except the arena, where real-time skill and strategy are actually significant determiners of the competitive outcome). To me, the game is mostly about my personal satisfaction of collecting, managing resources, and individual achievement. To that end, I am discouraged by how the enormous multitude of super rare and legendary characters dilutes my chances to immortalise any one of them.

Using citations alone, it would take me roughly 8 straight years of daily play, banking 800 honour per day, to FF all 12 of my non-event Legendary crew. I spent a lot during my first 8 months of play -- almost too much to admit -- only to end up no closer to immortalising any legendary crew. I used to be whale material; but since then I've stopped buying bulk dilithium completely because I find premium packs to be such poor value: even when I am lucky enough to score a legendary behold, it has not dropped a double for me even once.

Returning to monitisation: which is preferable? To have a few people buy a lot of the things, or a lot of people buy a few of the things? It's hard to know prima facie -- very much depends on details. But as I explained above, I believe greater total revenue could possibly be realised in the latter case. And one way would be to persuade players like me of the value of premium packs, by allowing us another (inefficient) means of pursuing multiples of desired crew, particularly Legendary. If I could partially fuse some of my Legendaries up to the point of needing only one or two more stars to FF (rather than 3 or 4) the chance of scoring just one more through a premium pack becomes tantalising, and I'd be much more likely to consider purchasing a few premium packs once again.

I don't even think this would affect the super whales' spending either. They will always have an incentive to spend a huge amount -- especially as DB keep adding new crew all the time -- in order to top the leaderboard.

And I addressed the problem of multiple accounts above by suggesting a restriction on accounts from the same device/household from joining the same fleet (or the same squadron, depending on which one is the locus for trading).
  • MururoaMururoa ✭✭✭
    Ok, it appears that there is some problems I didn't see.
    Ofc it should generate some sort of black market wich is not a good thing for honest players.
    Remains the fact that leveling 5 stars up to immortal is way too hard. I dont tell about leveling all the 5 stars we have to immortal but a decent part.