Home Ready Room
Options

Event packs vs standard packs

Which am I better off buying? I'm aware that the event pack has the advantage (or disadvantage based on what cards you already have) of consistency, but then since one slot basically gets taken away to fill the guarantee, do you end up losing out longterm on beholds? Either Super rare or legendary?

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great question that I hadn't considered. I look forward to answers. If I were a betting being, I would guess that you do lose Beholds, but gain a more guaranteed outcome. It probably comes down to preference.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say: it depends.

First consideration — looking at an event pack: 1) do you have any of the crew already FF?; and 2) would you be happy with getting any of them (or, more precisely, are there ones in there that you do not want to get)?

Also, I have gotten plenty of Beholds in event packs (in addition to the featured crew), so it's not always an either/or proposition in that regard.

Finally: do you already have a lot of super-rares fully-fused? If so, a regular premium pack is more likely to give you crew you don't need (even in SR Beholds).

For me, I usually no longer buy regular premium packs, because I expect to get nothing but Honor from them. (Though I will occasionally spring for a 10x10-for-$10 offer, just because there are more opportunities for me getting a good crew member or three.) But I may stay away from event or special packs if I have any of the 4* crew FF.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been my experience that event packs “pack” more punch. I can get the super rare event crew and a 5* behold in the same pack. To me, the $25 pack is always worth it even if I dump the event crew. I almost always get at least one legendary behold out of each 5 pack.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stopped buying regular premium packs entirely, outside of the 10 for $10. The only time I hesitate on event packs is if I have one of the 4* FF, to avoid duplicates.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get more far 4* crew for my dilithium by extending voyages than I could by packs. Event packs seem good, but most events I'm going to get a FF crew out if it (from finishing one I had already, or from galaxy) so an event pack has a high potential for duplicate crew.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get more far 4* crew for my dilithium by extending voyages than I could by packs. Event packs seem good, but most events I'm going to get a FF crew out if it (from finishing one I had already, or from galaxy) so an event pack has a high potential for duplicate crew.

This is also my experience -- for super rare crew, extending a Voyage is much more cost-effective. But if you're going for legendary crew, only money, packs, or placing in the top 1000 of an event will do.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    I also find that I can get more 4* crew from voyages, although it all really depends on your crew. If you have a good crew already and can get to about 8 hours regularly with no extension, then it's better to extend than buy packs. However, if you are just starting out, then buying packs may be the way to go since it's much easier to also build up 2* and 3* crew. You lose out on beholds, but personally I think it's worth giving up.

Having said that, I personally only get standard packs when they're free. Otherwise, I think being guaranteed to get one out of a small pool of crew is better than trying my luck against the entire 4* pool. Once you get a lot of immortal 4* crew, I suspect you'll feel the same because of the risk of duplicates.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!