Home Make It So!
Options

Packs are essentially broken

(I'm posting this here in the forlorn hope that someone at DB might read it and take it to heart. Maybe future players will benefit from any changes implemented, but I won't be one of them.)

I stopped renewing my monthly card some time ago because of the frustration from packs. I've been playing almost 2 years, so nearly every pack has a character I've immortalised. The odds of getting that character every single time shouldn't be as high as they are, but - well, we all know the feeling. But so many packs have characters I WANT, which makes the near-guarantee of getting one I don't need feel like I'm being punished for my loyalty. :(

Buying packs used to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game. Watching those 10 slots fill up with new characters was great in the early days. Later on, the odd duplicate was no big deal, especially once honour points were introduced. Now, for a player like me, packs contain nothing but frustration: the one character I don't need, plus a whole raft of ship schems (useless given how many replicator rations I get from voyages). Even the airlock blues are more useful than schems. And I WANTED to spend money. All DB needed to do was add a refresh/respin option to the Behold dilemma and I'd have thrown more money at the game.

Well, I had enough dil from the "immortalise X crew" rewards (I've maxed now at 350) that I decided to take a chance in the last event. I really wanted Queen Guinevere Kira, but I was certain I'd get Tourist Reed. I can almost always FF the threshhold character in Galaxy events so he was the one I really didn't need. Sure enough, Pull #1 gave me Tourist Reed. And so did Pull #2. No Guinevere. Nothing useful at all. :(

And now...

I really wanted Breen Dukat. So I took another chance with the remaining dil, pretty much knowing I'd get Weyoun, who I already have immortalised. Yup - Pull #1 gave me Weyoun and a few airlock blues. I had just enough left for one more try, and yeah, at this point it was just sheer bloody-mindedness. It was also the single worst pull I've ever had, in many months of playing every single day.

so6mpi7uvn3s.jpg

I'm sure you can guess what the first one is. Yes, another Weyoun. And that's it. :( DB have lost yet another loyal (VERY loyal) player. I'm not angry; I'm really just sad. Sad because the fun has gone and sad because of how predictable these last 4 pulls were. If DB were deliberately trying to chase me away, they couldn't have done a better job.
"There are two types of beings in the universe - those who dance, and those who do not."

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a brutal pull
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    20 pulls on the Borg pack resulted in 14 Ichebs, the least Borg of all the Borg offered......... :neutral:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Disgraceful. Yes, I'm over 2 years myself, and DB should really work to keep us around, instead of constantly disappointing us.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Veleia wrote: »
    All DB needed to do was add a refresh/respin option to the Behold dilemma and I'd have thrown more money at the game.

I really wanted Breen Dukat.

You could have bought the pack which guarantees 2 Dukats. In that case your Dil would have even grown. You would have had at least 2 copies of Dukat + maybe more with the "free" pulls that come with this offer etc (saying because you mentioned spending money, if you only meant the monthly card with that that is no option oc).

In general dublicates are normal in CCG´s when you play for some time. And the path to characters we want will generate many dublicates up to super rare as well. Especially if you want certain legendaries to be FF.

That aside, and sadly, DB like all mobile game companies is more interested in acquiring fresh costumers than truly benefitting older ones. Hence they also cut a new deal last year:

http://tp.tilting-point.com/disruptor-beam-tilting-point-user-acquisition-funding-star-trek-timelines/

So while the packs are not broken mobile game business kinda is. In reality the best customers get the "red carpet" treatment, not so in games stuff.

• Options
    Adam2791Adam2791 ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan for what reason this observation was deemed unnecessary would have been of interest.
  • Options
    same frustration here... stopped paying money - no packs, no monthly card. even stopped watching ads.
    one positive aspect: received several 10x10 offers during the last weeks, which I haven't seen for months, but sorry DB - not interested anymore!
  • Options
    Vaelerys TargaryenVaelerys Targaryen ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the commiseration, guys. I know I'm not alone in mourning what the game (and indeed the whole industry) has become. That merger doesn't bode well for anyone, sadly, but I guess it's just a sign of the times. :(

I am still bewildered by DB's logic, though (or lack thereof). If their main interest is in the money NEW players will throw at the game, and they genuinely don't care about the loyal long-termers, then surely it could only benefit DB to grant a few of our wishes to keep us (or rather - our money) in the game as well. Even if we were able to collect/FF every single character in the game and then stopped playing, feeling satisfied, they'd still be counting all the money we'd spent to get there.
    "There are two types of beings in the universe - those who dance, and those who do not."
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    pulled 40 premium packs the other day, only 2 golds. /rage
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    RaijinmeisterRaijinmeister ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    And people wonder why the law is striking loot boxes...

It's gambling, by design isn't made to amuse you only to take your money.
  • Options
    I just let the monthly card accumulate now so if there's a pack with something I really want in it I can have a binge. Given there's only 5 purples I haven't immortalised (Clown, Bell, COPFA, Yates and Q), it's a rare enough occurrence to have a good stock ready.

But yeah, for a collecting game that wants me to give it money (and I want to give it money), it's doing a terrible, terrible job of offering anything I want to buy.
  • Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    I can’t think of a fair route the long termers can be offered that doesn’t tilt the game. The fully immortalled beholds are an awful spend deterrent and to be honest, as crappy as these odds have become this mythical ‘refresh’ would only be all immortals 99% of the time as welll...leading to more despair at how stacked against you the odds truly are. As a long time player I’ve realized the only way to stick around without resentment is to stop spending on anything obviously dubious...like your Weyoun pulls. Now I use play the cards I’ve got...until it’s time to get my coat
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1ev226ncr4ek.png

Just got my first one
  • Options
    I can’t think of a fair route the long termers can be offered that doesn’t tilt the game. The fully immortalled beholds are an awful spend deterrent and to be honest, as crappy as these odds have become this mythical ‘refresh’ would only be all immortals 99% of the time as welll...leading to more despair at how stacked against you the odds truly are. As a long time player I’ve realized the only way to stick around without resentment is to stop spending on anything obviously dubious...like your Weyoun pulls. Now I use play the cards I’ve got...until it’s time to get my coat

This partially caused by DB’s laziness in regards to updating the packs. There are now 6 months of event and limited card not added to regular packs.
  • Options
    it's the same with me on 4* nearly every pack i pull is a F U
  • Options
    Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I've been feeling this for awhile. I am 8 crew away from having everything FE. I am missing only 16 stars from having every 4* in the game FF/FE, and I am pretty certain, it won't happen on its own for years (one of them is Bell and another Fierce Guinan).

The game is simply an unrewarding grind now, with little chance of changing.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    1ev226ncr4ek.png

Just got my first one

DB - this should NEVER happen! Fix this.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    pulled 40 premium packs the other day, only 2 golds. /rage

I didn’t even do the pulling and I feel the rage.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    And something does need to be done about beholds that result in all choices being toons one already has immortalized. Am missing maybe 40 characters...I get that it’s chance, but it gets old.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    A dil “refresh” option does seem the most sensible way to fix this issue. But man, that’s just brutal.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch, I too got a Weyoun from the pack, airlock she went. I also got Sheriff Worf in a behold. I already have him immortalized so out he went too!

On the bright side, my Dukat is 3/4 FE so IF they ever update the months old portal table I might get lucky. No point buying packs anymore.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    PaPa ✭✭
    That's really a stupid pull. And I don't get the random items where you have to click on them to see what you got. I mean, a 10x pull is already filled with random items/crew, is this supposed to be a random random item?
  • Options
    Veleia wrote: »
    All DB needed to do was add a refresh/respin option to the Behold dilemma and I'd have thrown more money at the game.

I really wanted Breen Dukat.

You could have bought the pack which guarantees 2 Dukats. In that case your Dil would have even grown. You would have had at least 2 copies of Dukat + maybe more with the "free" pulls that come with this offer etc (saying because you mentioned spending money, if you only meant the monthly card with that that is no option oc).

In general dublicates are normal in CCG´s when you play for some time. And the path to characters we want will generate many dublicates up to super rare as well. Especially if you want certain legendaries to be FF.

That aside, and sadly, DB like all mobile game companies is more interested in acquiring fresh costumers than truly benefitting older ones. Hence they also cut a new deal last year:

http://tp.tilting-point.com/disruptor-beam-tilting-point-user-acquisition-funding-star-trek-timelines/

So while the packs are not broken mobile game business kinda is. In reality the best customers get the "red carpet" treatment, not so in games stuff.

The key here, and I hope the OP comes back, is the $9.99 option to guarantee a copy of a character you want is a nice new trend. That said, a respin on beholds would really extend to life of the game generally
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Over 200 5* cards in the game. I have 51 immo'd, less than 25%. So why does this happen? Really? Is there something you can do? Extra roll, something?

vmbed3h2ukrc.png
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Twice in one day??? This is ridiculous.....
    25fxq6mj5cdg.png