Home The Bridge
Options

Has anyone noticed how quickly the Admiral Division is losing players?

I haven't noticed this in the other divisions, but I'd guess it's happening there too. But as someone aiming for that top 5% in all divisions, only Admiral has given me trouble. I've noticed the rank I need has gone up by 1000 in recent months. I used to have to maintain a slot above ~7200, and now I gotta keep afloat at ~6200. Which means, in that time, 20,000 players have given up on Admiral division.

You'd think--or I did, anyway--the opposite would happen. As STT grows, there ought to be more players, meaning there's always a little more room for players in the top percentages. Does anyone know what's going on? Is the game losing players? Or just the arena?

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would guess some people don't particularly bother with Arena if they their ship schematics being offered that month aren't anything they need/want. They may concentrate on one of the other divisions and do just enough to collect their dailies — I know people who do that, and they don't even make an effort to win, just start the battle and set their device down, waiting for their ship to be blown up.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I would guess some people don't particularly bother with Arena if they ship schematics being offered that month aren't anything they need/want. They may concentrate on one of the other divisions and do just enough to collect their dailies — I know people who do that, and they don't even make an effort to win, just start the battle and set their device down, waiting for their ship to be blown up.

I do that because after a few days it kicks you out of the division all together. If you try to get back in, you end up at rank +70k and you can only gain 3000 ranks a day (if you’re not spending dils for extra tickets).

You just can’t ignore a division all together or it will take you a month to catch up to get schems you want the next months.

Looks like the player base is shrinking.

• Options
    Nice that I am not the only one who see DB best times are gone, the reasons should be clear (bugs/fails more and more)
    Unfair and hit the player on the base / sugar in the ... for some big cheating spenders can't work for long time.
    Have a look to the forum for the fleet recruitments, there can you see it too, dbdb hasn't work and now they have done.
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess some people don't particularly bother with Arena if they their ship schematics being offered that month aren't anything they need/want. They may concentrate on one of the other divisions and do just enough to collect their dailies — I know people who do that, and they don't even make an effort to win, just start the battle and set their device down, waiting for their ship to be blown up.

I just do enough to collect daillies. It is too much effort AND time to maintain high postiion, but little reward
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don’t do arena, just one run for those credits you get from the daily

• Options
    k3vk3v ✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention, as it is very important.

I don't want to spend money on a dying game that may disappear in the next few months.
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Since voyages came out and replicator rations are more plenty, I dont really do the arena anymore. I do it once a day for the 25k, maybe all 5 missions if I feel like it. Even then I only do Capt. division. No real reason why
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    If they did away with the ships altogether, I wouldn't shed a tear. Other than daily creds, I wouldn't bother, just doesn't seem worth the time.
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Wundigore wrote: »
    k3v wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention, as it is very important.

I don't want to spend money on a dying game that may disappear in the next few months.

Looking at the fleet players by event rank, somewhere over 52k accounts have scored at least 1 VP so far this weekend. That is just the lowest number in my fleet. I do not think the game is going anywhere any time soon.

Ok, I saw this and assumed they all did at least a ticket or so, so I jumped on my alt and failed the first battle for 75 VP. Last place in the event is 55,687. comparatively 8 weeks ago, last place was around 78,300. I wouldn't take event pop of 55k as a good sign for the health of the game.

Edit: I'm not saying it's anything conclusive. just that the 55k number is not in itself a good sign, and in fact worrying if you watch the trends.
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    Ok, I saw this and assumed they all did at least a ticket or so, so I jumped on my alt and failed the first battle for 75 VP. Last place in the event is 55,687. comparatively 8 weeks ago, last place was around 78,300. I wouldn't take event pop of 55k as a good sign for the health of the game.

Edit: I'm not saying it's anything conclusive. just that the 55k number is not in itself a good sign, and in fact worrying if you watch the trends.

Are you sure that is the last place or is it just that there are 20k people with that one failed mission just to get something from the event... like what i am asking is that are you now ranked less than 24 spots above 55,687, correct?
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    kapu wrote: »

Are you sure that is the last place or is it just that there are 20k people with that one failed mission just to get something from the event... like what i am asking is that are you now ranked less than 24 spots above 55,687, correct?

Correct, there are 4 people below me
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might not help that DB are advertising another Star Trek game :smile:

However, on looking at the arena it does appear as if there are 125,000 people or so playing, if you scroll down to the bottom of the rewards handouts in Admiral Division that's more than when I started 10 months or so ago. kbzapys22qx5.png
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    u9jhme4j1aip.png

dumqf3f7opoj.png

• Options

However, on looking at the arena it does appear as if there are 125,000 people or so playing, if you scroll down to the bottom of the rewards handouts in Admiral Division that's more than when I started 10 months or so ago. kbzapys22qx5.png

Arena numbers are pretty much unusable. If you hit the two weeks inactive, you do not automatically drop out. You do not exit rankings till someone attacks you, possibly and beats you. This is why it's possible to take a two week plus login break and possibly only drop out of one or two divisions. I went a month earlier this year and only dropped out of commander. There are THOUSANDS of accounts that need clearing out
  • Options

If you mean Fleet Command, I played that for 3 weeks, it's hot garbage. ;)
  • Options
    Commander TuckerCommander Tucker ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Three days ago, the day I started this thread, is when the top 5% for Admiral division fell into the 6200s. It just got reassessed down to 6203. Tomorrow we'll be in the 6100s.

Which means approximately 2,000 people will have dropped out of Admiral division in four days.

Maybe it means nothing other than people aren't playing Admiral division. But as someone who keeps up with that 5% number because it's a constant struggle to stay above it, I can tell you it's been falling steadily for a while, and fast.
  • Options
    This is probably due to multiple reasons, but I’d say the primary ones are that this month’s rewards are not desired by many players and because the Cloak has been fritzing lately people are falling in rank without even realizing it.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    Summer vacation time in the northern hemisphere might have something to do with this. Also, perhaps, the recent influx of ST:Discovery players is settling out to those who like the game itself.

I think it’s interesting that this idea, i.e. STT is failing, is so persistent here on the Forums. This idea was prominent on the old (now archived) Forums two years ago, when I first started playing and visiting/lurking. The idea, the game, the Forum contributors ... all are still here. 🖖🏻

Meh, people always doom say, even when things are on the way up.

DB is very close to the vest with player numbers. Counter intuitively, dropping arena population numbers could be a good thing. As noted above, dormant accounts don't drop out till they are attacked, so hypothetically as new players come in and start moving up the board they are clearing out the drift wood.

Event population is a better indicator, but even that varies with popularity, and even active players will fully skip an event. Summer vacation is a tough thing to blame too, as some folks have more time to play with reduced work or school comittments and some less with family and vacation time.

I would say though, this is very different from past "game is dying" talk. 1) most folks discussing this know none of this is conclusive, just alarming, and 2) we are actually looking at what numbers we can instead of pulling things out of our unmentionables because DB did something we don't agree with.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Also, event population made a solid jump over the last 36 hours. Now around 65,000. Much more consistent with regular event population fluctuations base on character popularity. Also, typically by Friday population would be within about 5,000 of final numbers, the 10k jump is very uncharacteristic so if anything I think it at least shows folks are less excited by Skirmishes and less anxious to do what ever effort they do plan to put in.
  • Options
    Also, event population made a solid jump over the last 36 hours. Now around 65,000. Much more consistent with regular event population fluctuations base on character popularity. Also, typically by Friday population would be within about 5,000 of final numbers, the 10k jump is very uncharacteristic so if anything I think it at least shows folks are less excited by Skirmishes and less anxious to do what ever effort they do plan to put in.

Skirmish participation seems to be somewhat tempered by the amount of time required to clear them. Even assuming you have all the right variables in place (Right ship crew and an event crew) you're looking at around 3 minutes per skirmish run, times 22 runs to get to threshold; a little over an hour. If you don't have all of those things, you're in for an even longer haul. People are likely waiting for blocks of time where they can do some slightly-more-mindful tapping than what's required in a galaxy.

I already follow that strategy for galaxy usually; I do Chron-hoarding rather than pre-farm items, so if I wait till Saturday that's one extra day of chrons to go with my supply kit. The only reason I didn't do so for this event was that chron-bouncing means I'm using at least two supply kits, and I had too much RL stuff to do today and tomorrow.
  • Options
    It's because arenas are broken ... you can rank #1 and go to bed , then enjoy your 4k rank ... happens to me all the time , i just CBA , not going to get up 2h earlier just to play before the reset ....
  • Options
    It's because arenas are broken ... you can rank #1 and go to bed , then enjoy your 4k rank ... happens to me all the time , i just CBA , not going to get up 2h earlier just to play before the reset ....

Different time zones. You should see what happens to me in the gauntlet. I sleep for the previous 8 hours to the reset, so I can drop from second to 50th, and try to get back in to the top 10 before awards are given out. But I still haven't reached #1 because I lose out on two of the most important rounds before the end.
  • Options
    Commander TuckerCommander Tucker ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would say though, this is very different from past "game is dying" talk. 1) most folks discussing this know none of this is conclusive, just alarming, and 2) we are actually looking at what numbers we can instead of pulling things out of our unmentionables because DB did something we don't agree with.

Thanks for saying so. Not trying to doomsay in this thread. Just pointing out something I've noticed and really wish would reverse because I want to finish off my IKS T'Ong, dangit.