Home The Holodeck
Options

Discovery or Orville

2»

Comments

• Options
    I am a UK resident and would love to be able to see Orville.

It has been hyped in alot of forums I visit.

Unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere.
  • Options
    I am a UK resident and would love to be able to see Orville.

It has been hyped in alot of forums I visit.

Unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere.

My wife and I really enjoyed Disco.

• Options
    I like them both. Each serves a purpose...Entertainment. I have a bowl of Snickers just waiting for the next episodes.
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen Discovery, but I gave Orville a try. At first it felt too campy, and too forced when it tried to be poignant. But once the show "Discovered" its legs, Orville turned into something entertaining. A SF (trekish) show with a fun side so it does not take itself too seriously. I think the turning point of the first season, for me, was the S1:E8 "Into The Fold" episode where the Doctor and her family crash land. I think the writers and the actors found their stride and the rest of the series was pretty good TV.

I heard that S2 was delayed, as MacFarlane felt they were rushing production and didn't want the season to completely **tsk tsk**. I hope the extended hiatus is worth the wait.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    Where do I find it to watch
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarge(R3S) wrote: »

Discovery is only on CBS All Access in the U.S. I think other streaming services have it in other parts of the world. I don't know about Orville.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarge(R3S) wrote: »

Discovery?

The Orville?

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    When The Orville was announced and I saw the previews, I was skeptical. It looked like a Trek rip-off. I think I saw an interview somewhere with Seth McFarlane about approaching Paramount to let him do a Star Trek spinoff series, but I think Discovery was already approved, so he went and made his own.

HE is obviously a huge ST fan, as there are so many nods to GENE's vision in his scripts and directing, that it truly gives you the Trek vibe. (Yes, I agree more than Discovery does.) And of course, all the hilarious tongue-in-cheek gags and brilliant writing, and the obvious chemistry between the actors, that make it one of the vastly more entertaining shows on TV right now.

As for which one is best? Neither. You can't compare the two. Discovery has the license (both literally and creatively) to take Star Trek any direction they want. And with 3 spinoffs already in the works, you can't argue with success.

I just hope Orville goes on for at least 5 or 6 years or much longer. I will watch both with equal interest and be entertained by both in the different ways they are meant to.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Orville definitely felt more like Star Trek than discovery (I never capitalize discovery out of spite). I don't like discovery's style or how CBS runs it. Seems irrelevant but I'm still holding a grudge after the whole Axanar thing.

Just give Star Trek back to Paramount.
  • Options
    I like Orville much more than Discovery. Orville feels like TNG a bit funnier ;-)
  • Options
    Both, Both, Both