Home The Bridge

Server/Network issues and losing voyages

Maybe a vent. Maybe a feature request.

I like to set alarms on my phone so I can check in a few minutes before my anti-matter runs out and manually recall a voyage. But sometimes, either the app won't connect due to a server-side issue, or there are network issues. Or sometimes I just get busy with driving or working. As a result, my voyages are sometimes likely to fail before I can get back into the game.

I got lucky a few times like a few minutes ago, where I finally got into the game at the last second before the voyage failed. It seems like they designed this feature to either encourage people to spend real money or send numerous tickets to support, however.

They really need to just let us recall our voyages at 0 anti-matter, or give us some sort of way to set thresholds so my crew knows I want them to come back before the voyage fails. Having to babysit this app and hope everything goes smoothly multiple times per day just adds stress for no other reason than they think they can get me to chip in a dollar to try to keep what I earned.

Comments

• Sure, let them allow you to auto recall at 0 AM instead of failing, but it should cost you 50% of your rewards to do so.

Seems fair to me.
  • Well, like right now... there's clearly a server issue going on causing tremendous lag. I'm sure more than a few people are going to lose voyages if they tried to login over the last 15 minutes.

If people are smart, they will send support tickets in that case. But it doesn't seem like we should have to if they had designed this mode to accommodate these kinds of preventable issues.
  • I'd never wait until the last minute, too many things can go wrong - personally I rarely let the AM get under 200 as real life is likely to get in the way and ensure I need to pony up some dil.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    hailing starfleet! Starfleet, are you there?
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • I'd been pounding "Recall" for the last 200 antimatter as my voyage dwindles to nothing. "Hailing Starfleet" the whole time, despite the voyage animation going on as usual in the background. Finally got out with 55 antimatter to spare. You're killing me, DB.
  • My voyage failed because of the lag/server issues. It’s annoying, I couldn’t event refill the AM it just failed. 6hrs wasted.
  • My voyage failed because of the lag/server issues. It’s annoying, I couldn’t event refill the AM it just failed. 6hrs wasted.

I submitted a ticket when that happened last week, and support was great about compensating me for it. I'd recommend giving that a shot.

But still, my point stands that we shouldn't have to do tickets for something like this. I get that they want there to be some risk involved with what are essentially easy rewards. But it is silly to say that we are sending space ships out there and don't have any set of criteria we can provide them (like once you get down to 200 anti-matter, please come straight home). All they can do is fly until they run out of gas and then die.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I agree when there are server-side issues, DB should make it right (and in my experience, they have).

However, I disagree on a warning or being allowed to recall at zero AM. It’s your voyage and your responsibility to make sure you recall before zero AM. It’s easy rewards, for what, just making sure you keep an eye on it. As pointed out, if you run out of AM, you can spend the dilithium. If not, start again. You don’t have to spend anything, just accept the occasional loss for whatever reason. Or, don’t wait until the last minute...
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ops has been looking into the server issue for the past hour. I don't have an ETA.
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • >As pointed out, if you run out of AM, you can spend the dilithium

Except we aren't always getting the option to spend dil. I didn't get the option last week for my ticket. CaptainUnderpants didn't get the dilithium option just now. We both just got a message that the voyage failed with no option to pay to extend it.

And we do pay for the voyages in a way. There's a huge opportunity cost involved with sending our best characters away for 1/4th or 1/3rd of a day that could have helped improve shuttle drops or event rewards.

I like the randomnesss of voyages and think the rewards are great. I just think they need to build in some kind of safety net and not leave it all up to whether or not you can be on the device for the last few minutes of a voyage.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    In situations like that, send in a ticket and ask for lost rewards. Imho, a “safety net” is overkill. A chance at loss is part of the game/voyage. If that loss comes due to server issues, ticket it. If not, try try again...
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Yeah I submitted a ticket. We’ll see what happens when CS looks at it in a month.
  • Black Pebble posted in the engineering room:

Ops made some database changes, and things should be back to normal now. If you ended up having to use Dilithium to recover your voyage, please submit a ticket to Player Support, and they should be able to help you.

It will expedite things if you clearly indicate that your ticket is related to Voyages, and that Dilithium was involved.

When you send in your ticket, make sure you mention voyages and dilithium in your subject. You should hear back from them very quickly.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, like right now... there's clearly a server issue going on causing tremendous lag. I'm sure more than a few people are going to lose voyages if they tried to login over the last 15 minutes.

If people are smart, they will send support tickets in that case. But it doesn't seem like we should have to if they had designed this mode to accommodate these kinds of preventable issues.

This is typical. And as they well know, maybe 1 out of 20 tickets that should be made get made. Probably closer to 1 out of 200 since most aren't on the forums. People also don't send in tickets because of the trouble doing so, the absolutely asinine wait time for a response, tickets being closed because DB doesn't respond on time, and the EXCEEDINGLY COMMON occurrence of support NOT READING the tickets and sending a blanket response.

But I concur, we need to be submitting tickets for all these errors, encouraging DB to actually do the barest amount of bug fixing and QA.