Home Ready Room
Options

Rarity vs scarcity

Typically I'd judge rarity on how hard something is to come by. Usually, in the physical world, this means there are more physical copies of one item than another and the ones with fewer copies are more rare. In the digital world (not just this game but many like it), rarity seems to be more a tier system than about attainability.

My question is: is there a sort of real rarity (scarcity) within each tier? For example, out of the green cards that I get I see Telek R'Mor all the time. Every time I turn around I'm air-locking his Romulan butt. It took me months to get a Gaia Odo and more months to get my second one. My 2* Janeway is another one that I hardly ever see. It happens in other tiers as well. In blue, as long as I've been playing this game I've only every gotten one Talos IV Spock while I see Jazz Musician Riker a lot.

I suspect there is a planet of cloned Telek R'Mors because that guy hitches a ride back home after after all the voyages.

Not a complaint. Just a curiosity.

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...I think I saw my very first R’Mor in months just the other day. You must be getting shipments of him that are supposed to come this way. :smile:
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...I think I saw my very first R’Mor in months just the other day. You must be getting shipments of him that are supposed to come this way. :smile:

I'll see if I can send you some chef neelixes...neeli...neelixen. I'll send send you some plural chefs.
  • Options
    Chef''s neelix?

Like attorney's general or commander's in chief?
  • Options
    Chef''s neelix?

Like attorney's general or commander's in chief?

I don't know why my autocorrect wanted to apostophe all of those
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Plural not possessive. But I suppose a chef could have a Neelix. Like a sous chef.... But in space.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    muwoo wrote: »

I'll see if I can send you some chef neelixes...neeli...neelixen. I'll send send you some plural chefs.

Neelices?
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

Neelices?

That's the one! You nailed it!
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    @muwoo After many many months of playing (ok 21 months), I would say your situation reflects one (or both) of two things: normal random variation, or occasional tweaking of the drop rates by DB for various crew. Not sure why they would bother with the 2* crew, but my (purely anecdotal) observations suggest that certain crew (or variants) are periodically featured. Either because they are about to show up in an event, or just because someone at DB decided we need to have more Away Team Neelices. (I do like that one!)
  • Options
    I get Prisoner 'Bones' McCoy, Idrin, Brahms a lot in my end. I also keep Reed and E Dax a lot.

I'm trying to get Starfleet Uniform Khan for my 2*, the only uncommon crew left.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    I get Prisoner 'Bones' McCoy, Idrin, Brahms a lot in my end. I also keep Reed and E Dax a lot.

I'm trying to get Starfleet Uniform Khan for my 2*, the only uncommon crew left.

I haven't been able to get a 3rd copy. Send Bones over.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more cards that enter the pool the lower the chances of getting the one you want classic example for me would be section 31 Reed I have waited months for two copies of him funnily enough I did get two copies in fairly quick succession. So yeah I think DB have a master switch.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options

How do you send card over once you get it?
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

How do you send card over once you get it?

Just a joke. I wish you could trade. That might be a fun perk for fleets.
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    My question is: is there a sort of real rarity (scarcity) within each tier?

I think they're all equal in the eyes of RNGesus. But it's true that we each have our own albatross...
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Elynduil wrote: »
    My question is: is there a sort of real rarity (scarcity) within each tier?

I think they're all equal in the eyes of RNGesus. But it's true that we each have our own albatross...

I kind of figured but thought it was worth an ask.
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    For example, out of the green cards that I get I see Telek R'Mor all the time. Every time I turn around I'm air-locking his Romulan butt. It took me months to get a Gaia Odo and more months to get my second one.

For me it was the opposite. I airlocked dozens of Gaia Odos but Telek way really rare.

PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    For me, I’ve gotten lots of Constable Odo cards as well.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Further to what has already been noted by some other players, I think if you pull enough Basic Packs you should be able to get all of the 1* and 2* Crew within the game (other than the ones exclusively available in the Honor Hall).

If you find yourself in the situation where you have a healthy amount of Credits, I have enjoyed pulling a large number of Basic Packs all at once, and can confirm from multiple personal experiences that the 0.02% chance of receiving a Legendary character can in fact occur.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    I've never gotten a legendary but a couple times a super rare which was a fun surprise.