Home Ready Room

Warship Tuvok or Romulan Data

So this is kind of a difficult one for me. The Big Book of Behold Advice ranks Romulan Data in the 3rd tier and Warship Tuvok in the 5th tier.

Warship Tuvok - Even at 1* he would provide an improvement to my security shuttles. Riding in the wake of only 4* Mirror Jadzia, he would be my #2 Security base and my #1 go to for Security Shuttles. And it seems like he'll get bonuses in a lot of events.

Romulan Data - I don't feel like I need more engineering crew as I have
4* Etana Jol who has the same skill configuration with better numbers.
4* Caretaker, 4* Ahdar Ru'afo. Along with a 1* Human Q, 1* Niners Rom. But I do not have an Engineering primary Data though and would like one. I fear that i might be missing out if I leave him behind, and aside from Mirror Data, Romulan Data seems to be the highest rated Data in the Behold Advice Book. So would I be missing out on a truly awesome character if I passed him over and took Tuvok?
Anyone else feel like weighing in on this?

Thanks!!!
Captain BIOMECHANIK =)

Comments

• Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I would personally go with data because I like the character.

Also Data is useful for clearing certain nodes in episodes, one needs the Android trait along with engineering. You should also be looking at crew for voyages, and more engineering would be good for when engineering comes up as a silver/gold skill.

Security is useful, but there are a lot of powerful security and command crew out there, so I would not worry too much about this, you will get better crew as you play.

Edit: I'm being stupid with the next comment, I was reading these as 1/1 not 1/4
    Forget the one star crew, they should be frozen as soon as you need the space for other crew.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pick Data as a more common crew in events. But I don't think you would go wrong, either way.
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Better base SEC than you have will come to you, probably fairly soon. My own judgment is that Tuvok is really nothing special, and a two-skiller with weak proficiencies. I'm kind of surprised he is ranked as high as he is in the BBoB. Data's competition has grown quite a bit over the last year, but he is still rock-solid, and one of the most frequent event crew choices, including this week. I think long-term, you will be happier having taken Data.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Better base SEC than you have will come to you, probably fairly soon. My own judgment is that Tuvok is really nothing special, and a two-skiller with weak proficiencies. I'm kind of surprised he is ranked as high as he is in the BBoB. Data's competition has grown quite a bit over the last year, but he is still rock-solid, and one of the most frequent event crew choices, including this week. I think long-term, you will be happier having taken Data.

I am not a fan of base/shuttle crew and have gotten far less use out of them than voyage crew. But I believe I'm in the minority in that and so for the sake of objectivity and helping folks prepare for faction events, those crew are rated a bit higher than where I'd personally take them.

What happened with Tuvok in particular is he was a tier down below Proto Worf, but when I looked at them side by side I thought Tuvok was clearly better and swapped them. it was before High Roller, which may not affect much, but at least he was closer to the #1 spot than he is now.

There aren't many 2-skillers I would categorize as special and agree with you there, but the #1 Tuvok, #1 Vulcan and #2 Hologram SEC puts him in a nice spot among event crew imo.

@ OP, Without checking, I believe Data has had six variant events in the last 14ish months and five Romulan events, mega included. Those are pretty hefty numbers considering a solid ENG base and uncommon skill set. I like him a lot, have gotten good use out of him personally, and would take him as a quality crew worth investing in.

Tuvok is strong, but not as versatile as Data and as others said, we're more likely to get SEC options down the line with Kortar being the last good mega there and SEC in general being the last power creeped skill. I don't think High Roller Sisko and Hawk are the end of the SECkoning. If you get another chance to grab someone like them in an event, I'd go for it. Both are great voyagers as well.
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with those who would go for Data. I have him at 4/5, and while Etana is starting to surpass him, I've got a not infrequent need to dig into my second/third tier engineers (Ahdar is my first).

Data's character/traits qualified him for 16% of past events, though Tuvok's 13% isn't far behind thanks to hologram. Both are well above average. But as mentioned above there are much better options to fill your SEC-CMD than Tuvok - hold out for Durango or Falcon in the portal, High Roller whenever he arrives, or a lucky Hawk draw this week.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Wow, I'm kinda surprised. It seems like a unanimous vote for Data. I've always been of the opinion to grab the best crew regardless of what I might need at the moment. Assuming that the long term benefits will out way the short term gains.

Currently my need is strong, security with lasting power. I was leaning towards Tuvok because he would be a powerful seat in shuttle missions from day one and doesn't look like he'll fizzle out in the long term. But he's only a 2-skiller which does limit his usefulness.

As a F2P player I rely heavily on voyages for crew, Chronitons and supplies and don't really have the resources to break into top tier rankings and win the legendary crew rewards from events. So a 1* Security base of 900 is pretty attractive. However a couple people seem to be indicating that a Security power creep is under way or on the way. In which case I feel like I should just continue with my original philosophy and take the more versatile character, that being Data, and wait to get a powerful 3-skill Security crew who will be helpful on voyages. But with my crew mainly coming from community rewards can I realistically expect that?

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I am leaning more towards Data at this point but still want to mull it over a little. Keep the comments coming if you have more.
    Thanks. =)
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of comments:

- If Voyages are your main resource for new crew then 3-skill crew are definitely the way to go. Don't even think about 2-skillers really.

- There are 3-skill 1/5s with a base of 900 (or near) ... the likes of the new Sisko (High Roller), Hawk, Durango Troi, Falcon O'Brien, Klingon Janeway ... and second tier like Maquis Tuvok ... and other decent options ... quite a reasonable list actually (bold in portal).

- For base a better option ... in my humble opinion ... is to lean on non-FF 4* crew ... for example, for a long time I used a 2/4 Mirror Jadzia Dax, a 3/4 Klingon Neelix, a 3/4 The Clown, a 3/4 Robin Hood (and others) ... all have decent base stats ... the Dax and Neelix are still where they are, but have been surpassed by 5*s I picked up (Weyoun Clone 5, Mirror Reed) and The Clown and Robin Hood have been immortalised (RH is frozen). There are many other 4* crew with decent base SEC when non-FF (Ba'ku Worf, Warship Yar, ...)
    That said, I do not airlock crew that I do not have, so I have a fleet of non-FF 4*s (77 to be exact) ... though these days hardly any see use.

Like others have said ... crew come and go ... when I first started playing (2016) Scientist Degra was the nuts and was an auto pick ... now he's just average and next week we get a new Seven (free) that I'm sure will surpass Degra on all fronts. Degra was my first 5* and I used him a ton, but the past year he's been little used.
    The same will be the case for all 2-skill crew.
  • RaraRacing. I appreciaate what you had to say.
    Right now my best security are many of the ones you mentioned.
    4* Mirror Jadzia
    2* Baku Worf
    2* Klingon Neelix
    1* Lt. Ash Tyler
    1* Clown
    1* Klingon Torres
    1* Friar Tuck Data
    1* Assimilated Tuvok
    1/5* Suus Mahna Sarek & 1/5* First Officer Riker are my only 5* Security
    So it is tempting to want to cut out the time it would take to find 2-3 copies of everyone on that list when I could just grab a beefy 5* who is ready to run at 1*. But then he is locked into shuttle only crew and therefore limited in scope.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I immortalized Warship Tuvok as he is one of my favorite characters and, until recently, was one of the few 5* crew I had in hand that could help both voyages and shuttles (I’ve since landed a Falcon O’Brien...oh well). As a complement to Kortar, Klingon Janeway, and Mirror Shukar at the top of my SEC staff, Tuvok does get regular usage as a true monster for shuttles, especially with SEC/COM being a fairly common pairing. He goes on COM/SEC voyages and iampicard selects him for some others as well. As a main crew variant, he should be useful for events, though I would not expect the event he was featured in to be a future re-run as it was in a mega.

Would Data be better overall, even if you’re more loaded for ENG than SEC? Probably. I think Automaton_2000 is right that we haven’t seen the last SEC monster for a while, and that the upcoming mega event is ripe for a SEC powerhouse recurring legendary character. But would you be sad about investing effort and resources into Tuvok? I don’t think so, based on my experiences thus far.
  • Dirk, correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Warship Tuvok would hold his own on Voyages until being fused up a few stars?
  • Dirk, correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Warship Tuvok would hold his own on Voyages until being fused up a few stars?

That always depends on your personal crew roster. If he's better than what you have, then he's going to improve your Voyage total. But two-skill crew cap that usefulness much more quickly than a three-skill crew. You will eventually outgrow them, and they will be relegated to other uses, like shuttles.

It sounds like you are really looking for a reason to take Tuvok, and that's fine. This is a game about collecting the crew you want. Eventually you end up with more than enough crew to cover just about any scenario. Take the ones you want to look at in your roster.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dirk, correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Warship Tuvok would hold his own on Voyages until being fused up a few stars?

That would be a reasonably correct statement. Back at 1/5* and 2/5* he was really only used on my crew as a shuttle reservist when other COM/SEC crew were away on voyages. I want to say he also was helpful in an event with Vulcan as a bonus trait but don’t quote me on it.

Then again, I had Kortar, Mirror Picard, Mirror Kirk, and T’Kuvma immortalized and was working on Klingon Janeway at the time, so there were plenty of people in front of Tuvok...if your stable of high-SEC crew isn’t as well-developed, you may find more use for him at partial fusions than I did.