Home The Bridge

Watching an ad causes STT to look for other devices on your network

Blast HardcheeseBlast Hardcheese ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in The Bridge
I recently installed the iOS 14 public beta so I could see what security messages might pop up while running Star Trek. Given that the Offer Wall is gone in iOS, I wasn't expecting nearly as much fun with it.

However, when testing an ad warp, I got the following security alert:

"Star Trek would like to find and connect to devices on your local network."

I opted to not allow this, and still got the ad reward. I have not yet encountered other warnings, and the rest of the game appears to still be fully functional after denying permission.

Comments

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that nugget of information from the one announcement that admits IronSource has been involved in regular ad delivery, I can’t say I am surprised. This is why I no longer use ad warps or doublers.
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there was a similar message regarding Bluetooth with a iOS update within the last few years. Guessing ad networks really want to know where your at.
  • I'm assuming the IronSourceSDK is doing at least one thing not mentioned in the "Change of Ownership, Offer Wall and Privacy Concerns" post from this afternoon.
  • I am very concerned that this, like the battery state information, is to help the third party serving us ads connect a single person to multiple otherwise anonymous marketing IDs from multiple apps and/or devices.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I am very concerned that this, like the battery state information, is to help the third party serving us ads connect a single person to multiple otherwise anonymous marketing IDs from multiple apps and/or devices.

I'm not saying it's IronSource, but recently I've gotten a LOT more game ads with the "Not For Children" warning.....

It's IronSource.....
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately (last month or so), pretty much the 90% of the ads I see in the game are from certain zombie game. And I don't like zombie stuff, I don't have anything like that in my phone and definetely I don't search anything like that.

So that's means that in IronSource they think that Spain is absolutely doomed by COVID and all of us we're going to die here, so they're so kind to offer to me a game that could serve as "Apocalyse Survival Guide" xD

Thank you for that, @Haere Lintesereg . It made me smile. :smile:
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • KaiRoKaiRo ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying it's IronSource, but recently I've gotten a LOT more game ads with the "Not For Children" warning.....

The ads apparently have been IronSource all along, not just recently.

That said, I'm still not playing that zombie game, despite all the ads for it that I've seen. But then, I'm taking the free Warps I get for watching them.
    "Don't try to be a great man... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."
    -- Dr. Zefram Cochrane, around 2073
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    KaiRo wrote: »

The ads apparently have been IronSource all along, not just recently.

That said, I'm still not playing that zombie game, despite all the ads for it that I've seen. But then, I'm taking the free Warps I get for watching them.

The game with the "Not for kids" warning I get is some kind of empire building thing. I actually only ever got the ads for that one zombie game with the girl and the dog, and I barely see it any more.....

It's funny how most of the games use those same "pull the pin" puzzles. Just drop in their own character artwork in the same ones.......

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?