Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Star Trek Discovery Episode 14 SPOILER Thread. Spoilers! You were warned.

Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Strange New Worlds
What a ride! I am only halfway through the episode now, but I thought some comments were needed.

First - awesome that Admiral Cornwell is leading a band of now Federation outcasts on the crusade to battle the Klingons for what's left. One of her first statements was remnant of Picard to Captain Garrett were nearly identical "Your arrival here may be too late."

This suggests they will have to go back in time to correct this debacle.

My only gripe so far is the Stardates are off, but decidedly probably necessary. The Stardates Cornwell posted in the briefing would have put them somewhere between the last 10 episodes of TOS, which would NOT have been 10 years before as suggested. If they had used stardates based on TOS, they would have been something like "Stardate 0115.8".

And...now we know why the Mega Event this month has Adorians and Cornwell as primary! :)

Okay - back to the show for me! Enjoy!
I want to become a Dilionaire...

Comments

• Options
    If they really want to stop the war before it starts, they should complete the mission to Qo'nos of mapping the cave system, then returning to the past 9 months prior to wage the war on the Klingons first, to see if that puts them in their place, so to speak.

The big surprise of "Captain" Georgeou is going to make things seriously interesting for the 2-part finale!
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    ^^yeah I wonder how long philippa#2 can keep up the show untill stuff gets mutinous again :p

Was this infact the very first episode of STD where no one got killed? I dont remember seeing any blood anyways... :DD

Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I made the mistake of reading reviews of this episode before I watched it. Sadly, all the reviewers said they were underwhelmed. I disagree completely, I think it was great as a "setup" episode. The character interactions were great!

Saru was noble and wise. Stamets and Tilly remain awesome. Sarek was at his best. Detmer is hot. Emperor Georgiou was dead sexy. And Burnham was... well, passable.

I loved how Katrina Cornwell looks visibly destroyed by the toll the last 9 months have taken on her.

I LOVED the scene with the spores on the "Genesis Moon."

I guess the only thing about this episode I didn't like is the whole Klingon thing. Okay, I get that they're not united and they're randomly attacking. But they're hitting within 100AU of Earth (Literally inside the Solar System) and none of them bombarded Earth? If they're all trying to one-up each other, you'd think one of them would attack it. Seems like an easy target now.

That's still my biggest problem with this show. The drama and character stuff is great, but they're still sort of trying to figure out the whole "world-building" thing. Which is ironic, because Star Trek has one of the biggest worlds in Sci-Fi.
  • Options
    Okay, Tilly giving "BFF" advice to Burnham was great! Did you notice Tilly was more casual and wearing boots (Killy Tilly Boots?) instead of the other footwear?

Yes, Special Effects gets an A++ for this episode.

Klingon houses being in "disagreement" on how to run the Empire has always been a theme in ST. Especially 80 or so years hence, in Picards time, so it makes complete sense to me how they are in disarray.

"Starbase One" is a little confusing, because in all ST lorte to date, SB-1 has been EarthDock. ?!? It even looked like it was orbiting Earth, or maybe that was the point...

Detmer getting more screen time was much needed, and I hope they build her character more next season.

Oh, Please DB - make the Spore moon on the Galaxy map?
  • Options
    I think the very first thought all Star Trek fans had at the end of the previous episode was, “they need to go back in time.” but naturally that doesn’t appear to be in the cards on this show.
    I’ve been liking the show a good bit more since the Mirror Universe appeared but it still has some major flaws. I’m inclining more and more to think that this is suppose to be an alternate universe because it just doesn’t fit the main Star Trek universe’s history. I think that TOS intimates at a couple of points that the Feds and the Klingons have had a small semi-war before but from the way it gets talked about it could just be skirmishes and the continuous threat of war rather than actual war and no where near the level of destruction seen in STD. Also, I was hoping their solution to the Klingons would end up having something to do with Tyler and L’Rell and the genetics of Klingons rather than straight up blowing something up. Finally, we only get a total of 13 episodes for this entire season!? Really?! That’s half as much as literally every other series of Star Trek ever. Extremely disappointing.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well obviously we know they can't leave this timeline intact. The Federation is effectively wiped out. So yea, they're definitely going back in time at some point, the question is how far?

I would guess the best place to go would be the Battle of the Binary Stars. Stop it from ever starting. But what do I know, I'm just a Star Trek fan.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well obviously we know they can't leave this timeline intact. The Federation is effectively wiped out. So yea, they're definitely going back in time at some point, the question is how far?

I would guess the best place to go would be the Battle of the Binary Stars. Stop it from ever starting. But what do I know, I'm just a Star Trek fan.

That’s good speculation. If they can figure out how to do that they should also deduce hey, lets go back and give them the Vulcan Hello

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally, we only get a total of 13 episodes for this entire season!? Really?! That’s half as much as literally every other series of Star Trek ever. Extremely disappointing.

I agree, but unfortunately, the full 26-episode season is more the exception than the rule these days. Most hour-long TV dramas are 13 eps or less. Although that's often offset by many shows fitting more than only one season within a calendar year (but again, not Discovery, alas — S2 is supposedly not coming until 2019).

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Finally, we only get a total of 13 episodes for this entire season!? Really?! That’s half as much as literally every other series of Star Trek ever. Extremely disappointing.

I agree, but unfortunately, the full 26-episode season is more the exception than the rule these days. Most hour-long TV dramas are 13 eps or less. Although that's often offset by many shows fitting more than only one season within a calendar year (but again, not Discovery, alas — S2 is supposedly not coming until 2019).

Which is why I will cancel CBS All Acess and renew when it comes back. Lately shows have been taking sssoooo long between seasons. It’s ridiculous to wait an entire year or longer to put out the next season. That could backfire and get people to forget they are interested in it.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »

Which is why I will cancel CBS All Acess and renew when it comes back. Lately shows have been taking sssoooo long between seasons. It’s ridiculous to wait an entire year or longer to put out the next season. That could backfire and get people to forget they are interested in it.

Yeah, despite the fact that DSC kept getting pushed back from its original planned premiere date, I feel like it was probably rushed to air in the first place (evidenced, imo, by the incredibly shaky start to the series), even though they thankfully made up for that by mid-season. One of the reasons for pushing to get it on the air was no doubt the multiple other wheels that had already been set in motion regarding the launch of their new service, with Discovery as its flagship, so to speak.

I won't be happy waiting a year for the next season (especially if they pull a cliffhanger as I suspect they will), but I guess I'd rather they return a year later, at the same level of quality (or higher), than to try to meet a shorter deadline at the expense of good writing and good production value.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Technically, it is 15 episodes this season, according to IMDB, and they are all titled, and scheduled to air. My take is this though: Episodes 1 & 2 were more like a 2 hour special or TV Movie outside the series (It's called Discovery...not Star Trek: Shezhou, or Star Trek: Klingon Blood War. That was a little confusing to me watching the first two episodes.), setting things up for the actual show, which then has 13 episodes. Furthermore, we had sneak peeks almost 18 months before the actual series started, which suggest to me they had wanted to air the first 2 episodes as a TV movie like months before the series start. In the end, I believe it would have been a marketing nightmare NOT to combine the two as they did.
  • Options
    Zann Calcore (ISA)Zann Calcore (ISA) ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    @Enterprise Was Best My CBS is set to renew the day after the finale so I went ahead and canceled it. I can watch the finale and finally get rid of the useless CBS crowding my screen space, lol.

@Data1001 I really, really hope they don’t give us a bloody fricking cliffhanger at the end of the season. I know that Star Trek series have done it before, but that happens to be one thing I hate. I mean, I don’t mind if I’ve got it all on Netflix or DVD or Amazon and can watch it back to back easily, but I still remember watching the first part of the Voyager episode Equinox and then realizing I didn’t have the sixth season (this was long before most stuff was digital and I had rented most Voyager seasons through Blockbuster, yes, Blockbuster). It was 2 years or more before I finally was able to find that whole season and see the second part of that cliffhanger. I think DS9 did things better most of the time. Maybe because they were more practiced at continuing storylines but they could do finales that would satisfy but still leave questions and such for next time. I think it’s the 4th or 5th season finale that does that especially well.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    I also believe they will jump back in time utilizing the Mycelium Network, but to the point in time they jumped to the Mirror Universe and essentially disappeared for nine months, not all the way back to the Battle of the Binary Stars. "Captain" Georgiou will die before then, during the tension between her, Cornwell, and Burnham in regards to the action being taken after mapping out Qo'nos from the inside out. L'Rell will be the one to reunite the houses into a single Klingon Empire once they go back.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista