Home Strange New Worlds
Options

In Honor of "SOLO"

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does his God need a starship?
  • Options
    He only needs a strong ship, a tall sail, and a solar wind to sail it by.
  • Options
    [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just watched The Last Jedi. Looking forward to Solo hitting the small screen.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just watched The Last Jedi. Looking forward to Solo hitting the small screen.

After watching Solo I thought to myself:
    "We probably would've been better served by a Rebel's 2-parter." Small screen indeed.

Donald Glover was mighty though.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really liked the movie. I don't know why it was disliked. The Last Jedi was not great, but Solo was quite good.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    People don't like The Last Jedi because it subverted expectations. That's exactly WHY I love it. As someone who thought Star Wars was WAY too "low-brow," Last Jedi represented a more intelligent take on it.

That being said, don't get me wrong - I completely understand Star Wars fans wanting to see the story they're expecting to see.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    People don't like The Last Jedi because it subverted expectations. That's exactly WHY I love it. As someone who thought Star Wars was WAY too "low-brow," Last Jedi represented a more intelligent take on it.

That being said, don't get me wrong - I completely understand Star Wars fans wanting to see the story they're expecting to see.

The Last Jedi just didn't have the big reveal Empire Strikes Back does, but had some very distinct similarities. It's a big defeat that has to be recovered from and frankly a downer if left unto itself. It does however take that to a whole new level of smack down. Frankly, if Carrie Fisher had not passed, I think it would have been a wonderful lead into what they were going to do with her character.

And Yay Rebels. Honestly, Rebels is my favorite trek since 1983.
    Too bad it got replaced by the anthology series.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    1sz7tn12zd1f.jpg

Last time I checked, the Christian God (if that's the "God" he's referring to) hates sin, not people. Dude is a little confused.
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    No kidding. Since he's in Starfleet, he's not supposed to believe in God either.
  • Options
    1sz7tn12zd1f.jpg

Last time I checked, the Christian God (if that's the "God" he's referring to) hates sin, not people. Dude is a little confused.

Can't tell if serious or kidding. Please simply enjoy the Westboro Baptist Church parody. Love to all.

Sincerely,

God
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    No kidding. Since he's in Starfleet, he's not supposed to believe in God either.

Not sure putting on the uniform causes you to check all your beliefs at the door, just not be overruled by them.

Does Commander Kira not still revere the Prophets (even though she has a more concise understanding of what they are)?
  • Options
    [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Since he is not wearing prosthetics, I assume he is a human. The only human in Starfleet shown in any series to have a significant spiritual journey is Chakotay. There are no Jews, Christians, Buddists, Muslims, Hindus, etc. shown as serving in Starfleet. Maybe religion has been shoved underground? The implication, IMO, is that, on Earth at least, religion has been relegated to the dustbin of history.

As far as Kira goes, most of Starfleet scoffs at Bajor's worship of the "Wormhole Aliens."

The Klingons are the only major power shown to have a major belief system that includes an afterlife.

I stand by my assertion that a Human Starfleet Officer invoking God is an oxymoron, or at least non-canon.
  • Options
    Since he is not wearing prosthetics, I assume he is a human. The only human in Starfleet shown in any series to have a significant spiritual journey is Chakotay. There are no Jews, Christians, Buddists, Muslims, Hindus, etc. shown as serving in Starfleet. Maybe religion has been shoved underground? The implication, IMO, is that, on Earth at least, religion has been relegated to the dustbin of history.

As far as Kira goes, most of Starfleet scoffs at Bajor's worship of the "Wormhole Aliens."

The Klingons are the only major power shown to have a major belief system that includes an afterlife.

I stand by my assertion that a Human Starfleet Officer invoking God is an oxymoron, or at least non-canon.

Once again, you should all probably just laugh at the Westboro Baptist joke, and not turn this into an argument about what fictional characters on a TV show might believe offscreen, where they live 99% of their fictional lives.
  • Options

Once again, you should all probably just laugh at the Westboro Baptist joke, and not turn this into an argument about what fictional characters on a TV show might believe offscreen, where they live 99% of their fictional lives.

I had to look that up cause the first church joke that came to mind was the old Ray Stevens song "Mississippi Squirrel Revival."
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to look that up cause the first church joke that came to mind was the old Ray Stevens song "Mississippi Squirrel Revival."

OMG! I still have the 45 of that song. My grandfather and I would listen to it before he passed. We even sent it to a local televangelist to see what would happen... (lo and behold, the man actually had his choir sing it. We were disabled on the couch laughing)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

You mean like Kirk when confronting Apollo stating "Mankind has no need for Gods. We find the one adequate."?

Roddenberry for the most part wanted religion gone and thought it a trap to be outgrown, but even in TOS there are little pieces like this.

Knowing that Ro was in defiance of regulations in wearing her earring, even if you had folks like Catholics on board, you'd not have them wearing crucifixes when on duty etc, so it would be realistically very easy to have or not have folks having some religious bent in the uniform with no way to tell other than essentially a Lower Decks type observation.