Home The Bridge
Options

Changes to schedule for releasing event information

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in The Bridge
Hello, Captains,

Earlier this year, we let you know that we were committing to sharing key information about events a week before they are scheduled to run. The primary intent was to give you time to prepare crew for the next event. We wanted to give you the best chance of excelling in Timelines and help to grow the relationship between us, the developers, and you, our players.

As you may have seen the past few weeks, we bit off more than we can chew. There were a few instances of Incorrect information going out, and we’ve been inconsistent about when we deliver information about events and updates. We want to do a better job providing you with a polished experience, and that means we need to take more time doing our due diligence.

This means that going forward, this will be the new schedule for sharing event information:
• Friday morning: Event title, type, and Featured Crew (new characters) are announced.
• Tuesday afternoon: Additional information on bonus crew (such as all Augments, or all versions of Worf) is released.

We know this means you won’t have as much time to level up new crew or remove immortalized crew from the Cryostasis Vault in preparation for an upcoming event. We were faced with the choice of continuing to try and deliver information as we have been (this choice would be prone to inaccuracies) or to develop a more rigorous production process which would result in more limited information (but which will be more reliable).

Will changing to this schedule mean there won’t be any bugs? No, but it’s one of the many steps we’re taking to ensure stability and earn your confidence going forward. Game development is a process that involves many moving parts and rapid updates. We want to have a higher level of confidence in regards to event information before we share it with you. This will be an ongoing process, our intent is to get better at it over time.

Live long and prosper,
The STAR TREK TIMELINES Team

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    You're stating Featured Crew (New characters). on Tuesday

Does that mean:

1) If an existing crew is featured it will not be announced on Friday but on Tuesday when bonus crew is announced?
    2) If an existing crew is featured it WILL be announced on Friday?
    3) Are you anticipating a change where not all versions of featured crew are considered bonus, or are you speaking to what other characters other than the alternates to featured crew will be considered bonus that will be on the Tuesday announcement?

Please clarify.
  • Options
    "Tuesday afternoon" so non-US players will get to know on Wednesday morning and as result will most likely have to pay more to un-freeze event crew.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we no longer get advanced notice for crew, will that mean we no longer need to pay to take the first dozen out of the vault?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan, you know with a bit of planning you could have events ready a week in advance and stick with the old schedule. There is no reason to shorten the time because DB is editing items up until the last minute.
  • Options
    Shan,

Since it seems like every (DB and the players) need more time. Maybe it's beneficial to change the event schedule as well. Maybe an event every 2 weeks instead of every week. Or shorter events that start on Friday and end on Monday?
  • Options
    Shan, I'm sorry, but this is exactly the wrong response to your QA problems.

The delays of the past couple weeks are completely backwards from what you're saying here. In the past few weeks, it's been the bonus crew we know in advance, then the feature crew were given later. How is announcing the other way around supposed to help?

A much simpler answer: take a week or two to "pause," (either don't run an event, or run an exact duplicate of a previous one), and use that time to work ahead.

Not that you'll listen to common sense...
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was not an easy decision to make, and I understand your concerns.
    Let's see how this works for everyone involved. It does not mean there will not be improvements to the process down the line.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. Maybe we can get some re-runs on a rotating fortnightly schedule to allow more time for planning?

This would allow us to fuse up some existing characters as well.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    This is a disappointing development. Releasing existing crew further in advance gave FTP players a reasonable amount of time to get their event crew ready to go, they may not be able to go toe to toe with big spenders, but at least they'd have the ability to be somewhat competitive.

If the timetable is to be so short and only include Wednesday chronitons cadet challenge for getting ready, there will need to be some adjustments to how events are handled. Voyages will help, but more Merit based unfreezing from cryostasis should be made available. Perhaps the gauntlets on Tuesday & Wednesday should have a higher chance of dropping chronitons.

I would urge that DB try to make this the temporary plan and aim for a better timetable in the future.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't need any story other then "we are Klingons! We fight for honor! ". That's your whole story right there.
    This made me smile, thanks.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I still can t get how DB doesn t know all this stuff at least weeks in advance, but instead seems to make some calls regarding new events, crew, bonus, just a couple days before the event wents live. :|
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still can t get how DB doesn t know all this stuff at least weeks in advance, but instead seems to make some calls regarding new events, crew, bonus, just a couple days before the event wents live. :|
    I know. It's kind of baffling that they don't have a production schedule where at a minimum the November events are already done and ready to go and they're currently working on December events. Even if it currently involves needing flexibility for some Discovery crew waiting on approval and stuff like that. Instead it feels like kids cramming to get a last minute assignment done to they can turn it in tomorrow.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    UnkieB wrote: »
    I know. It's kind of baffling that they don't have a production schedule where at a minimum the November events are already done and ready to go and they're currently working on December events. Even if it currently involves needing flexibility for some Discovery crew waiting on approval and stuff like that. Instead it feels like kids cramming to get a last minute assignment done to they can turn it in tomorrow.

Maybe theres another reason that just came to my mind.

Until now, ppl knew before event start, what crew(except Discovery crew this month) and what kind of event the nxt week isl so they had the chance to say, well i planned buying event packs this week but now i safe up for nxt week, cause this event even has crew i am more eager to have. Now the event is already running before info goes live, and ppl that wanted to buy prob did buy the event packs. So if nxt week has great crew as well, high chance they will buy again and spend more, while with advanced info they might had passed to buy event packs for the previous event.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Running one or two exact replays of events makes the most sense, are you guys to rebuffer
    Put a couple of events "in the can" ready to go.

We the players would value any chance to add stars to existing Crew and it would give you time to get back on track.

Alternatively
    Do an event with out crew being a prize.

Do a Galaxy (yes, even I the hater of Galaxy's)
    Where... All Klingons are bonus and honor is the prizes in various quantity.

You won't need any story other then "we are Klingons! We fight for honor! ". That's your whole story right there.

Them we can beat each other's brains in trying to win all the honor we can and you can catch up.

I actually think this is a good idea. At any rate, there is a lot of noise saying take a week off and catch up. Especially if this is true:
    All of our Mega-Events storylines, characters, and rewards are tightly planned out in advance.
    Then just a single week should get back on track. The fact is, the announcement timeline change and repeated errors like wrong event crew, wrong stats for galaxy, wrong shuttles for event crew, etc, really makes it quite hard for us to believe things are "tightly planned" nor much in advance, as were claimed for normal events in the past.
  • Options
    This is not acceptable! I need more time to level or remove crew from freezer. You can do better.
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    Let's see how this works for everyone involved. It does not mean there will not be improvements to the process down the line.

It doesn't work!! There needs to be vast improvements. Actually this **tsk tsk**!! I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but I'm sure it has something to do with money.
  • Options
    Guest Guest  ✭✭✭

Sadly, this is a cop out answer.

DB knows what needs to be done. Changing the announcement schedule shouldn't be the answer. You should know weeks in advance what crew are planned for an event.
  • Options
    CaptainUnderpantsCaptainUnderpants ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Guest  wrote: »
    You should know weeks in advance what crew are planned for an event.

If you believe their previous comments they do have them planned in advance. Yet...actions suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    Stellar IceStellar Ice ✭✭✭✭✭
    If events are planned out months ahead of time, why is communicating them merely a week ahead of time such an issue all of the sudden? I understand the Discovery thing with CBS. But now that that's over with, what's the problem? If you don't have the basics down by Wednesday of the week before an event enough to give players time to prepare our crew and inventory, why is the player base made to suffer because DB is the one who is unprepared?
    The VIP 0 Heroes and VIP 0 Champions are looking for like-minded fellow VIP 0 players to join our family of fleets. Please contact me here or on Discord.

Come join the Star Trek Timelines Discord Community!
    Invitation code: https://discord.gg/8Du7ZtJ
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Yet...actions suggest otherwise.
    Someone at DB has to reset the dice.

Jim

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Hello, Captains,

Earlier this year, we let you know that we were committing to sharing key information about events a week before they are scheduled to run. The primary intent was to give you time to prepare crew for the next event. We wanted to give you the best chance of excelling in Timelines and help to grow the relationship between us, the developers, and you, our players.

As you may have seen the past few weeks, we bit off more than we can chew. There were a few instances of Incorrect information going out, and we’ve been inconsistent about when we deliver information about events and updates. We want to do a better job providing you with a polished experience, and that means we need to take more time doing our due diligence.

This means that going forward, this will be the new schedule for sharing event information:
    • Friday morning: Event title, type, and Featured Crew (new characters) are announced.
    • Tuesday afternoon: Additional information on bonus crew (such as all Augments, or all versions of Worf) is released.

We know this means you won’t have as much time to level up new crew or remove immortalized crew from the Cryostasis Vault in preparation for an upcoming event. We were faced with the choice of continuing to try and deliver information as we have been (this choice would be prone to inaccuracies) or to develop a more rigorous production process which would result in more limited information (but which will be more reliable).

Will changing to this schedule mean there won’t be any bugs? No, but it’s one of the many steps we’re taking to ensure stability and earn your confidence going forward. Game development is a process that involves many moving parts and rapid updates. We want to have a higher level of confidence in regards to event information before we share it with you. This will be an ongoing process, our intent is to get better at it over time.

Live long and prosper,
    The STAR TREK TIMELINES Team

So now, you don't want us to excel??
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Shan, I appreciate the quick response as to why, but do you have the information requested regarding clarification of how this is going to go directly below your post? Specifically on repeat characters and if you are changing if other versions of a character will now not automatically be eligible for bonus? Or are you waiting to hear back from above on those details?

• Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I got the impression that Nod and Erin did most of the work coordinating the events..
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    rootiesrooties ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    my idiot statement has already been quoted below for posterity
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    rooties wrote: »
    Tarrant wrote: »
    "Tuesday afternoon" so non-US players will get to know on Wednesday morning and as result will most likely have to pay more to un-freeze event crew.

My heart bleeds for this only slight inconvenience faced for playing in the US timezone. Meanwhile others lose out every day by not being able to claim fleet rewards.

1) Timezone(s) as we have several. I believe 4 or 5 depending on how you look at it.
    2) He was stating it was penalizing "non-US" so you are making comments about someone who was sticking up for your interests.

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Shan, I appreciate the quick response as to why, but do you have the information requested regarding clarification of how this is going to go directly below your post? Specifically on repeat characters and if you are changing if other versions of a character will now not automatically be eligible for bonus? Or are you waiting to hear back from above on those details?

I am waiting for more information.
    There is no change to variants, and how they would provide a bonus for the event.
    Where it is sometimes more tricky is when non variants are added, to give more choices to players.