Home The Bridge
Options

Character Revisions ?

Yankee TraderYankee Trader ✭✭
edited July 2018 in The Bridge
I have noticed that older characters in the game are not rated as highly overall as newer characters of the same rarity.

For instance, I have an immortalized 4* Dixon Hill Picard that has a combined maximum skills base of around 1400. Yet my newer 4* star characters (Young Khan, Buster Kinkaid Kim, Prospero Data and Mirror Leeta all have a cap of around 1800.) Does DB periodically update older characters to keep the on par with characters of like rarity ?

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    To date, there have been no major corrections to older crew...just a few minor item updates. Nobody expects it to happen, either, which is a shame for certain beloved crew.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does DB periodically update older characters to keep the on par with characters of like rarity ?

They don't and I seem to recall them indicating in one of their Q&A's that they don't plan to. They'd rather sell you new cards... ;)
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Also, Young Khan and Prospero Data are not that new.

Dixon HIll was introduced in Oct 2016.
    Young Khan was introduced in Sept 2016.
    Prospero Data was introduced in Feb 2017.

So Khan is older than Hill and Data is not much newer. Different cards just have different values. Not all cards are strong. That's all it is.
  • Options
    Well, that stinks, but I know the designers have other fish to fry. Still that won’t stop me from viewing my Dixon Hill as the Crown jewel of my crew !
  • Options
    Actually, very early on, they did some weird tuning of older cards to make them *worse*.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Nope. Also, Young Khan and Prospero Data are not that new.

Dixon HIll was introduced in Oct 2016.
    Young Khan was introduced in Sept 2016.
    Prospero Data was introduced in Feb 2017.

So Khan is older than Hill and Data is not much newer. Different cards just have different values. Not all cards are strong. That's all it is.

I stand corrected. That actually makes me feel better. It does track from the standpoint of diplomacy-rating that since Prospero and Khan are both cultural figures that they would be stronger in this area.

Additionally, I wouldn’t want to part with any of these characters. I would have airlocked their first copies right away. (Just ask Herb from last week’s event.)
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that stinks, but I know the designers have other fish to fry. Still that won’t stop me from viewing my Dixon Hill as the Crown jewel of my crew !

Stats aren't everything!

For instance, my favorite crew member that I have is Waitress Ezri. She's not a particularly strong card, and I don't think she was even especially strong when she was new. But I adore the character, and that particular episode stands out to me as an example of her growth. When we first met her, she didn't know which way was up, but by "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang", she's got it together enough to be part of the heist, thinking on her feet and helping to make it all work.

Waitress Ezri was also the first 4/4 I had to tank to get in an event, as we did not have cumulative rewards at that time. I could have had a Jazz Musician Odo, but I held back so I could have an immortalized Waitress Ezri instead. That was gratifying for me as I was strictly F2P/VIP 0 in those days and that event was an Expedition. She was among my top DIP and MED for months. I felt kinda sad when I reached the point where I had enough stronger crew to use that she stopped being assigned to shuttles or used in missions.

When I realized awhile back that she has the exact same ship ability that Mirror Phlox has, I swapped him for her. If nothing else, at least I could use her again! But I also reasoned that everyone was so used to seeing and using Mirror Phlox that maybe they'd forgotten about and overlooked Waitress Ezri. I figured sometimes I might get opponents who would pick me just because I wasn't using Phlox, only to find out that she does the same thing they were trying to avoid.
  • Options

Stats aren't everything!

For instance, my favorite crew member that I have is Waitress Ezri. She's not a particularly strong card, and I don't think she was even especially strong when she was new. But I adore the character, and that particular episode stands out to me as an example of her growth. When we first met her, she didn't know which way was up, but by "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang", she's got it together enough to be part of the heist, thinking on her feet and helping to make it all work.

Waitress Ezri was also the first 4/4 I had to tank to get in an event, as we did not have cumulative rewards at that time. I could have had a Jazz Musician Odo, but I held back so I could have an immortalized Waitress Ezri instead. That was gratifying for me as I was strictly F2P/VIP 0 in those days and that event was an Expedition. She was among my top DIP and MED for months. I felt kinda sad when I reached the point where I had enough stronger crew to use that she stopped being assigned to shuttles or used in missions.

When I realized awhile back that she has the exact same ship ability that Mirror Phlox has, I swapped him for her. If nothing else, at least I could use her again! But I also reasoned that everyone was so used to seeing and using Mirror Phlox that maybe they'd forgotten about and overlooked Waitress Ezri. I figured sometimes I might get opponents who would pick me just because I wasn't using Phlox, only to find out that she does the same thing they were trying to avoid.

Same here: Tommy Gun Dixon represents one of my absolute favorite Picard moments and even though I don’t even use him on Voyages anymore I still keep him on my active crew...the only super rare I ever spent honor to fuse because I couldn’t wait for a fourth star to drop.
  • Options
    I have a little of the best of both worlds, then. (Pardon the pun.) Dixon Hill Picard is still a very strong character. When I am preparing for the gauntlet, he is always the first character the computer recommends. It actually never recommends Prospero or Khan, who as I pointed out, rank higher in base stats. The same is true when readying for a voyage or shuttle missions.

That being said, I feel the same about stats not being everything. I would view him as my favorite even if he were a 3*.
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, main crew tend to have poorer stats in general I've noticed. Special crew in special packs have through the roof stats, and some of the older cards that never get used in events crank like anything. Galaxy legendaries are more likely to be 2 stat than faction legendaries. That's to stop me getting a decent engineering crew.

I do feel some stat buffs on some cards would be great, especially 2-stat crew, as there are some real weak cards out there that deserve some love.

However, some of the weaker cards have unusual, hard to get traits or amazing arena abilities so the usefulness is kind of hidden from general view.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I have a little of the best of both worlds, then. (Pardon the pun.) Dixon Hill Picard is still a very strong character. When I am preparing for the gauntlet, he is always the first character the computer recommends. It actually never recommends Prospero or Khan, who as I pointed out, rank higher in base stats. The same is true when readying for a voyage or shuttle missions.

That being said, I feel the same about stats not being everything. I would view him as my favorite even if he were a 3*.

Point of interest: the gauntlet uses characters’ proficiency stats rather than base stats. Dix pops up first because his DIP proficiency is much better than the other two.

Quick refresher:

Base skill - used on shuttles and for Galaxy events
    Proficiency - used in the gauntlet
    Combined - used for voyages and away missions