Home The Bridge

Been said before, will be said again

Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
I wish that RNG criticals in the gauntlet were simply eliminated. They cause nothing but confusion and delay! Thomas will never get there on time! But seriously, if they were eliminated would that not make life easier on here?

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don’t like the unpredictability this provides? Makes things interesting.
  • FlayFlay ✭✭✭
    No, it would make things much harder. Some new player perspective here - I've been playing for almost 2 months (f2p), and I run the Gauntlet every 4 hours because it's a thing to do and sometimes I get lucky and obtain some merits from it. Whenever a certain skillset is on, i run into an inpenetrable wall of Mirror Picards, Guinans, Suraks, T'Kuvmas and so on. I might get some decent legendaries in the future, but there is absolutely no chance to ever catch up to the people who were around when the best of the best Gauntlet crew were obtainable. Without critical hits there would be almost no point anymore to even try for those meager rewards (getting maybe 1-2 wins before all my gauntlet crew are dead).

Other developers like Blizzard are doing a power reset for everyone (in Hearthstone and WoW) so new players eventually can compete with everyone else, but as far as I've seen DB doesn't do that and the players who were around for longer will always be better at everything compared to newer players. The rich get richer ;=)
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
  • Without crits, the Gauntlet would be extremely predictable. In a lot of cases, you would have either 100%, ~50%, or 0% chance to win matchups.

The mechanic I don't like is that losses are very punitive, especially losing a character on its first usage. When that happens, you don't get points/rewards that match, you lose access to the skills that character covered for the rest of the round (forcing additional merit resets), and you lose your streak. These mechanics heavily encourage the players to pick conservative matches where the only way you can lose is an unlucky string of rolls and/or crits.

If losing a match was a bit less punitive, then the losses (and crits) would sting a lot less.

Agreed. I think a lose shouldn't be an out. I also think that degraded crew should stay degraded and you don't lose points you've won, and each player only gets two goes per character per round. . That way by the end of the second day if you haven't used your crew they are hard hitting but you are so low on points you can't get a high score. Using five different crew in a round will give you the bonus items, and all crew used twice a bigger set of rewards. A mechanic like that, with points gained as a percentage of what your opponent has would be far more interesting imo.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Flay , I had the same complaint at one time. Just keep playing and soon you will be challenging everyone. Power creep for newer cards means that many older cards that established players possess are gradually becoming useless.

I agree that some level of variance is needed to make gauntlet work. My main issue is the variability in whether or not you even get the crit. Instead of 5/25/45/65%, I'd prefer a system of 0/1/2/3 guaranteed crits. No promises about which of your rolls they would hit (that would still be variable), but when you go into a match with your 65% crew against someone with stronger rolls but only 5%, you are counting on the crits to make you competitive. When they don't hit, it's renders your strategic choice moot. I don't mind losing because of the variance in the proficiency range, but it burns when it's because of skewed crit outcomes.
  • pieman247pieman247 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    <snip> My I suggest a more civil manner to provide feedback? Thanks. ˜Shan
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I don't mind the occasional bad beat in the gauntlet, but was irks me is how the bad RNG luck tends to come as you're nearing the 3x multiples in your streak, meaning you miss out on the better rewards.

Sorry I didn't take a screen shot, but here is my most recent example:

ME - Drone 7 @ 65% critical, both skills over 350
    OPPONENT - Duelist Yar @ 25% critical, one skill just over 600

ME - 1/6 on criticals (33% instead of 65%)
    OPP - 3/3 on criticals (100% instead of 25%)

I lose 2400+ to 1900+

My streak stops at 5. No reward @ streak of 6, no 200 gauntlet points for winning that battle, my streak ends, my previously fresh character is unusable.

EDIT: to rub salt in my wound, the very next battle sees my opponent's Drone 7 go 3/3 with all insanely high scores, to upset my 690 @ 25%, 0/3 Abe Lincoln. Lovely
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pieman247 - I won’t quote you because some of it is going to turn blue real soon...anyway, congrats on being on the far end of the bell curve today, it happens to all of us at some point. Such is bound to happen with a random set of outcomes (see also: Peachtree Rex’s excellent gauntlet data collection project). One way to reduce frustration is to not spend merits on re-rolling skill matchups - redshirt your weakest remaining crew and move on to the next battle. Sometimes this means you will lose five in a row and be done almost before you’ve started, but the gauntlet will turn into a merit farm rather than a merit black pit of despair.
  • Keeping crew usable after a loss, (just resetting the steak), would absolutely encourage more adventurous pairings, I agree.
    When you only ever look for pairings you "can't lose" the wins get kind of boring, while the rounds you inevitably lose anyway sting that much more.
    And sooner or later, there will always be "the wall"... If losses didn't knock out crew, I think more players would be willing to try to climb it! Might break things up a little more at the top.
  • PolPol ✭✭✭
    I feel the reward system in gauntlet is what is really unfair
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I don't mind the occasional bad beat in the gauntlet, but was irks me is how the bad RNG luck tends to come as you're nearing the 3x multiples in your streak, meaning you miss out on the better rewards.

I lose 2400+ to 1900+

My streak stops at 5. No reward @ streak of 6, no 200 gauntlet points for winning that battle, my streak ends, my previously fresh character is unusable.

EDIT: to rub salt in my wound, the very next battle sees my opponent's Drone 7 go 3/3 with all insanely high scores, to upset my 690 @ 25%, 0/3 Abe Lincoln. Lovely

I encourage you to check out my research on "reward round" performance: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sYlf7A6M-kaENSsxoHhiUrpNuv71zNRz50Izi-ARB6E/edit#gid=351465128

In the 1100 or so gauntlet rounds I have tracked, about 270 were, what I call, "Reward Rounds", where the user stands to get a reward OTHER than merits/credits. So far, those rounds do not show any remarkable deviations from normal behavior in terms of numbers rolled, crits observed, or direct win/loss expectations.

EDIT: There's a thread dedicated to discussing these results here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10548/1000-gauntlet-rounds-of-data#latest
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭

I lose 2400+ to 1900+

I encourage you to check out my research on "reward round" performance: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sYlf7A6M-kaENSsxoHhiUrpNuv71zNRz50Izi-ARB6E/edit#gid=351465128

In the 1100 or so gauntlet rounds I have tracked, about 270 were, what I call, "Reward Rounds", where the user stands to get a reward OTHER than merits/credits. So far, those rounds do not show any remarkable deviations from normal behavior in terms of numbers rolled, crits observed, or direct win/loss expectations.

Furthermore, I think it is always best to look at min starting rolls for which Yar's is comparatively much higher than Drone Seven's
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pol wrote: »

In general I don’t think it is too bad but getting a handful of blue trainers is a big slap in the face.
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    You don’t like the unpredictability this provides? Makes things interesting.

I am ok with that unpredictability for crews with same or similar stats. but there are certain matches that I expect to win but still lose badly

eg. there is big chance (i personally think at least) i should have won in below match, but i lost badly anyway. This is the thing I don’t expect and what kills gauntlet

zalswrvple90.jpeg
  • people also collect stats that seems to prove gauntlet are Ok

But there are always people raising this as issue, including me. So maybe this so called gauntlet curse only affecting some players...
  • PolPol ✭✭✭
    Pol wrote: »

In general I don’t think it is too bad but getting a handful of blue trainers is a big slap in the face.

You sound like you got a 5* crew... i´m nearing the Locutus achievement and never got a 5*. So Guinan is unobtainable by any means for me
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭

I lose 2400+ to 1900+

This is a perfect post, it displays exactly what is wrong with the gauntlet. The crits are not the problem, its the fact that they are slanted and broken that is the issue. Why does the defender seem to have 2-3x the crit chance against an opponent? I agree that I am okay with the occasional loss, but I have played the gauntlet long enough to notice easily that the percent my opponents get, especially when it comes to the end of a 3 streak, are way higher, regardless of what the percent actually states.

Obviously its tweaked, to force us to spend more dil, for revives when we shouldn't need too, or to limit reward crates, and encourage over all spending.
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flay wrote: »

Other developers like Blizzard are doing a power reset for everyone (in Hearthstone and WoW) so new players eventually can compete with everyone else, but as far as I've seen DB doesn't do that and the players who were around for longer will always be better at everything compared to newer players. The rich get richer ;=)

So they should having played for so long. I've been playing 5 months, and I've achieved a rank No1 in the gauntlet. Not because I've spent tons of money, but because I think I have quite a good strategy, I sometimes get lucky with the time I start and when I'm lucky enough to get a behold I know who the best gauntlet cards are. My fleet have 100% helped me achieve my No1 rank, because their advice is amazing and has really helped.
    also, power creep is a real thing. A lot of the older legendaries are comparable to recent 4*, plus, and this is really rather a big deal, you don't need to fuse gauntlet cards, one copy is all that's required. therefore unlike many other aspects of the game, its far easier to climb up that ladder.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Flay wrote: »

So they should having played for so long. I've been playing 5 months, and I've achieved a rank No1 in the gauntlet. Not because I've spent tons of money, but because I think I have quite a good strategy, I sometimes get lucky with the time I start and when I'm lucky enough to get a behold I know who the best gauntlet cards are. My fleet have 100% helped me achieve my No1 rank, because their advice is amazing and has really helped.
    also, power creep is a real thing. A lot of the older legendaries are comparable to recent 4*, plus, and this is really rather a big deal, you don't need to fuse gauntlet cards, one copy is all that's required. therefore unlike many other aspects of the game, its far easier to climb up that ladder.

I have heard several ppl in my fleets (players with no so strong decks) also have easier time in gauntlet.

I think this depends on what gauntlet group you fall. maybe they do it randomly or maybe they do it based on your deck stats or something else.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The only problem I have, is defendering crew do not get tired too.
    When a list of six crew come up to defend against me, I choose one. My choice was based on all six. All six that came up should be weakened too. If the one I battled was the only one weakened this would have no effect. So it needs to be all six that the RNG chose because they all had an influence on who I picked. I do not expect the defending crew to be knocked out like attacking crew on loss.

I do not know if this would have that much of an effect but it would be interesting to see if it would. When RNG picks crew for defense, I see a big variance in ranks. If you ever look at those walls, you will see ranks in the 100s. I know not everyone has that crew. Yet the defenders chosen do. I usually will not see walls until I am at a higher rank(one being highest)
    So something happens so I do not get walls at the start of gauntlet. But when I get up in rank, it seems to go out of its way to give me tougher battles. So even if defenders got tired, they may not be picked again to be defenders, if for the stats chosen, it would force inclusion of tired crew.

Edit: Forget it. Even if defending crew did get tired in a gauntlet round, the odds out of two hundred choices and then the odds of the same two stats, make my suggestion almost useless. actually would have an effect if one uses refresh.
    Edit2: just to reinforce no defender in List is tired when I refresh. Only when I battle does this list of 6 get tired.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, to @Webberoni 's example of 65% Drone Seven vs. 25% Duelist Yar, you had a 91% chance of winning if it was SEC/SCI (ignoring potential Starbase/Collection bonuses):
    vc7gnyx4rp8k.png

SEC/ENG would be a little worse off (89%). Neither of these are incredibly rare upsets. They should happen approximately 10% of the time.

The Caretaker vs. O'Brien example from BeamMeUpScottie is even more likely of an upset (85% chance of a win):
    n2l28yocl52s.png

The biggest reason, I think, "different people have different experiences" in gauntlet isn't some nefarious "curse" DB puts on some people and not on others. People's expectations are different. These two examples, in this thread, are held up as "paragons of what is wrong" with the gauntlet. That's silly. You had a 90% chance to win...and lost. It happens and will continue to happen. That's what 90% means. It stings a little when it happens, but until someone produces actual evidence (which I am more than willing to accept!) all it is is tin-foil-hattery.
  • WaldoMag wrote: »
    The only problem I have, is defendering crew do not get tired too.
    I do not know if this would have that much of an effect but it would be interesting to see if it would. When RNG picks crew for defense, I see a big variance in ranks. If you ever look at those walls, you will see ranks in the 100s. I know not everyone has that crew. Yet the defenders chosen do. I usually will not see walls until I am at a higher rank(one being highest)
    So something happens so I do not get walls at the start of gauntlet. But when I get up in rank, it seems to go out of its way to give me tougher battles. So even if defenders got tired, they may not be picked again to be defenders, if for the stats chosen, it would force inclusion of tired crew.

sooo... you're saying you encounter more walls of similar very strong gauntlet crew, as you move up the ranks? It surprises you that the top ranked people commonly have some of the strongest gauntlet crew? Even someone who has surak, caretaker, locutus etc, could start a gauntlet then not have time for STT or forget to play for a day or two, so their strong crew could be in the low 100's ranked too. There's no conspiracy here, we are all players who have those crew in that rank you see.
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    r8o0kvegnub7.png
    06s0ohkyof8x.png
    2qcw8s1hb9d5.png

Locutus was 65% vs 5% 1 Fatigue. Caretaker was 5% vs 5% Fatigue 2 or 3, and Seven 45% vs 25% Fatigue 2. These are 3 of my 4 losses this hour after seeing this thread. It happens to everyone, the randomness, but you are not assured victory by any means just from having the “Powerhouses”, so don’t give up hope. My All-Stars go down regularly to random mid level cards, Selar has beat Phlox, Nurse Garland is a monster, and the sheer amount of times Deanna Troi or Bridge Troi has whomped a Gauntletized 4 or 5* beast makes her the number 1 crew I avoid, and also one most players should have access to. The walls stink, but they still stink when you have the 7th one to throw at it, because at best you’re 50/50. Like others have said, invest less resource and learn to laugh, or at least just roll your eyes, when the crazy numbers roll on in.
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    The crits are the only thing keeping people from using the same 5 cards every time. Removing them would completely destroy the entire concept.

Wait, how is this preventing it? My lineup never changes and I always top 5 unless I ignore too many rounds.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    Flay wrote: »

I have heard several ppl in my fleets (players with no so strong decks) also have easier time in gauntlet.

I think this depends on what gauntlet group you fall. maybe they do it randomly or maybe they do it based on your deck stats or something else.

I have noticed that it seems like there are different gauntlet groups? I might be wrong, or imagining things. But I have noticed that some gauntlets, are super easy, and some are pain crushingly hard lol. No idea what determines which group you fall in, how many there are, or if its just completely random.
  • edited August 2018
    The gauntlet you're put in is determined by the day and time you enter. Once one fills up, another opens until it fills up, and so on. There are also two major groups for traits, so someone who joins on one day will have different traits than those who join the next day.