Home The Bridge

2 New Jadzia

Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in The Bridge
2 new Jadzia’s are met with excitement and joy, other than the disappointment that one Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan. No raging posts or paragraphs about Janecheal Burnway, not the hate or resistance like both Burnham and Janeway continuously receive even though we haven’t seen Janeway in an event since last year. What’s the difference here? Where is the Archer/Scotty/Kes/Sato brigade every 3rd week when we get another Dax? Why were Burnham and Janeway both drug through the mud during the Mega Event speculation yet again this time, but 2 Jadzia’s in the first event are celebrated. You guys really confound me at times lol. Not even the obligatory “Background 1 shot Character X from TOS Needs a Card” group has said a word unless I missed it.

Comments

• PolPol ✭✭✭
    One thing to look forward to if the trek universe comes true, is that women will be absurdly beautiful :D
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pol wrote: »
    One thing to look forward to if the trek universe comes true, is that women will be absurdly beautiful :D

No need to wait for the Vulcans to detect Zephram Cochrane's warp signature to appreciate all the brains & beauty... The real-life 21st century universe most of us live in has plenty of incredibly smart and beautiful women in it.

Yeah, like Terry Farrell :smiley:
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan
    Sorry for the borderline comment about the character’s attractiveness/appeal. Poor choice of words on my part but too late to self edit.
  • Torias327 wrote: »
    2 new Jadzia’s are met with excitement and joy, other than the disappointment that one Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan. No raging posts or paragraphs about Janecheal Burnway, not the hate or resistance like both Burnham and Janeway continuously receive even though we haven’t seen Janeway in an event since last year. What’s the difference here? Where is the Archer/Scotty/Kes/Sato brigade every 3rd week when we get another Dax? Why were Burnham and Janeway both drug through the mud during the Mega Event speculation yet again this time, but 2 Jadzia’s in the first event are celebrated. You guys really confound me at times lol. Not even the obligatory “Background 1 shot Character X from TOS Needs a Card” group has said a word unless I missed it.

Because Jadzia is a great/loved character with 7 seasons of a well-liked Star Trek, and Burnham is a (so far) very bad/disliked character with 1 season of a polarizing Star Trek behind her.

It's that simple.
    Immortalized: 465
    Tour of duty: January 2016 to present.
    Shut up Wesley.
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It's not even the amount of Burnham's that bother me, it's just the laziness with the variants. Did we really need a prospect and a graduation Burnham? And is Tactical Burnham really that different from First Officer Burnham?

And then those two Janeways from the killing game? Assimilated Janeway? Klingon Janeway?

Yikes.

Believe me, if Mirror Captain Burnham or a canon, iconic version of Janeway shows up soon, nobody will be complaining. Or at least, they shouldn't.

I'm just happy we're still on a break from Tucker and Riker.

Also I find Burnham really difficult to type for some reason.
  • Torias327 wrote: »

Because Jadzia is a great/loved character with 7 seasons of a well-liked Star Trek, and Burnham is a (so far) very bad/disliked character with 1 season of a polarizing Star Trek behind her.

It's that simple.

Please. Don't make me post my Daffy Duck self love gif. Everyone knows why Jadzia is "well liked" among Trek fans. The issue is Trek fans like to ride the high horse compared to other fandom but when you dig (not even that deep) into why a female character is "well liked" its pretty obvious.

Its best not to try to unpack this here because people will get defensive and this thread will get locked.
  • South of SuluSouth of Sulu ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Nobody complains about another Kirk, another Spock, another Picard or Data. Also, nobody complains about The Doctor or Seven, the only well written characters from Voyager. Don't worry, I'm sure Seska isn't the only Voyager appearance this event.

Well I would not say "nobody". I think there are too many Data's in general, and we have two really really dumb, DB trolling us Picard's, when the game is missing at least 1 iconic Picard.
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    1) none of them are made up.
    2)its a highly beloved main character, even DS9 detractors like Jadzia.
    3)it actually somewhat fit both mega event themes Bell paired with Bell Bashir, and another as DS9 character in a Dominion mega.
    4) all three versions have been on wanted lists for awhile.

Nobody complains about another Kirk, another Spock, another Picard or Data. Also, nobody complains about The Doctor or Seven, the only well written characters from Voyager. Don't worry, I'm sure Seska isn't the only Voyager appearance this event.

0nd45tmja5uh.jpg

Well I would not say "nobody". I think there are too many Data's in general, and we have two really really dumb, DB trolling us Picard's, when the game is missing at least 1 iconic Picard.

Ok, people will complain about anything, we are debating a complaint about people not complaining....

I meant more the volume of complaints.

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    Torias327 wrote: »

It's that simple.

Please. Don't make me post my Daffy Duck self love gif. Everyone knows why Jadzia is "well liked" among Trek fans. The issue is Trek fans like to ride the high horse compared to other fandom but when you dig (not even that deep) into why a female character is "well liked" its pretty obvious.

Its best not to try to unpack this here because people will get defensive and this thread will get locked.

This is bonkers insulting to both the character and her fans - and possibly women in general, but I won’t speak for them.

What? He’s right. She was not a good actress at all. If she looked like the grandma Dax from this event the whole time she was on the show, Trek nerds wouldn’t have a love affair with her. Be offended all you want, you shouldn’t ever deny the truth for any reason. Once you do, all of life is open to becoming untrue

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    Torias327 wrote: »

It's that simple.

This is bonkers insulting to both the character and her fans - and possibly women in general, but I won’t speak for them.

What? He’s right. She was not a good actress at all. If she looked like the grandma Dax from this event the whole time she was on the show, Trek nerds wouldn’t have a love affair with her. Be offended all you want, you shouldn’t ever deny the truth for any reason. Once you do, all of life is open to becoming untrue

I mean, I'll disagree. I thought she played the mix of wise old trill and fun loving headstrong young woman pretty well, and her technobabble is I feel one of the better performances of it in modern Trek. Her character was interesting, often well written (yeah there are some stinker scripts early), and competent and strong.

Contrast that with say Ezri, who I personally think is a more attractive actress yet had a horribly written character, and I thus hate the character. (The actress I don't fault with the performance as all the neurotic crap was gone in her mirror episode which I think reflects main universe ezri was just badly written, for goodness sake 6 seasons without a counselor, they finally get one and then they have to get Vic to actually help people).

People like different things, and I 100% agree there is some cringey learing in the fandom, but I don't think you can hold that against the actresses.

I don’t hold that against her or think she wouldn’t have been on the show without her looks. I just think her acting was very forced and unnatural. But then again I also thought Al Pacino was awful too so perhaps I’m not the best judge of acting ability

I agree with both Banjo and Roonis. I feel like Dax’s popularity is absolutely bolstered by Terry’s looks, but I do think Terry did a solid job with the role, technospeak and helping to lighten up an otherwise darker iteration of Trek. My initial post had nothing to do with Terry’s portrayal of Dax, and more to point out the long running constant Janeway/Burnham bashing which by 8 months Janeway free should have dried up, but is still very prevalent, even with Dax having starred in 2 event’s more than Janeway at this point. I have every version of each character, but I would be happy to pick up someone else too, I personally feel Jadzia needs to be shelved for a while after this event.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Definitely need more Janeway and Burnham. I too was wondering where the haters were. I guess Dax is considered prettier than average. There's definitely been a lot of excitement about the swimsuit version, that's for sure!

Perhaps if we were to have a version of Janeway in a bikini that would work, or Burnham in a leotard?

:wink:
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • LummelundaLummelunda ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I personally think that Burnham and Janeway are just as attractive as Jadzia, if not more, and I love all three of them. I also love Seven. But for me at least, loving them is not because they're nice to look at, that's just a bonus. I love them because they're very interesting, intelligent, strong and likable characters, and I can empathize with their struggles and feelings (except when they, for no apparent reason, get romantically involved with mostly useless men).

I've also been wondering if the hate against Burnham and Janeway was basically racism and misogyny, but I wasn't around when Janeway was in every mega. I hope it's mostly because the timing and variations were not very good, and then there's always the matter of taste. Anyway, I think it's good to bring this matter up.
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I'm generally positive about Burnham, but even I thought they were giving us too much of a good thing. There has only been one season of Discovery, and already there are quite a few Burnhams. However, I can't be bothered by it too much.

I think there has only been serious backlash towards Janeway when the non-canon mirror Janeway was launched. Personally I loved that card, and didn't really see a problem there. DB will occasionally give us a non-canon card, about one per mega-event if I'm not mistaken.

As for Dax, she's quite popular. But I think we're almost out of Daxes now ;-)
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    Antasil wrote: »
    As for Dax, she's quite popular. But I think we're almost out of Daxes now ;-)

Going to split hairs here.

I think you are right, we are probably running low on more Jadzias, think there is plenty of room for other Daxes.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • PolPol ✭✭✭
    Jadzia was one of the best written characters in DS9... after Dukat that is. She could look like quark and i would love the character anyway!
  • Pol wrote: »
    Jadzia was one of the best written characters in DS9... after Dukat that is. She could look like quark and i would love the character anyway!

Quark looked good in stockings and a negligee, so Quark in a swimsuit would make some nice variety on his character.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DS9 is far more popular than STD or VOY. That is it.

And Burnham is currently just a bad Mary Sue character. Maybe she will improve in season 2.
    We got 6 versions of her from 13 appearances.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is not playing anymore until I get a Mirror Ba'ku Burnham! Sits down in mud and pouts.... :disappointed:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    Is not playing anymore until I get a Mirror Ba'ku Burnham! Sits down in mud and pouts.... :disappointed:

Is a Mirror Ba'ku basically a Son'a?
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    NivenFres wrote: »

Is a Mirror Ba'ku basically a Son'a?

Uhh, good point! :smiley:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
    I am glad others have voiced the feelings I had through out this thread. I was apprehensive starting it because of the volatile nature of some assumptions that can be made or jumped to, but so far eloquently handled for both sides. Very impressed at this back and forth and I can agree with points on both sides.

And I feel Pallidyne raises a good point, inadvertantly. Where is The Albino, Killer of Children? His event can have Dax as bonus crew and not require a new Jadzia, and maybe finally give us the last Dahar Master for the set. Or as mentioned, maybe we can have Kurzon, Torias, Emony etc, even if just Zhain’tara versions like Odo. Ways to use the Dax army without being Jadzia so often.

As far as Janeway goes, I want Aunt Kathy with Medical from Q2, like Tourist Quark and other counselors and guides have received.