Home The Bridge

How is this possible?

GAWAGAWA ✭✭✭
How is it possible to get so far ahead only 50 mins into a faction event?gq2x74pbkeq3.jpg

Comments

• [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money (dilithium & high level time boosts)
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • GAWAGAWA ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of boosts
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Ya boost then dil.
    It is cheaper to speed up after a time boost.

Also would guess a squadron leader.
    Bridge crew is two polywaters and two Mirror Garaks.
    Forgot to mention immortalized.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have money, boosts are unlimited because you can buy as many shuttle boost packs as you want. I can't image how much it costs to jump that far ahead that quickly. Then with the shuttle speed ups someone could easily run 4 shuttles every minute or two.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    So alright, let's assume this person bought event packs yesterday as well. I know, a stretch, but follow me here. What exactly is their prize after spending so much to win? Just seeing their name at the top of the list?

Ya they got two Polywaters at least. I guess they want three for skirmish? That would imply they only have two immortalized.
    But who knows they might be trying to crew their ship with 4 immmortalized Polywaters?
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just seeing their name at the top of the list?

That and a paltry achievement reward that you just burned thousands of dil and dollars just to get, pretty much.
  • sorinevsorinev ✭✭✭
    So alright, let's assume this person bought event packs yesterday as well. I know, a stretch, but follow me here. What exactly is their prize after spending so much to win? Just seeing their name at the top of the list?

I've wondered this since I started playing over two years ago. Since the people that most often win shuttle events already have all the event crew immortalized before it even starts, and they have crew rosters that make the rewards for finishing first / top 25 insignificant, I've wondered what the point really is (let's ignore the one-time achievement for 1st, since achievements weren't always there). Other than e-ego for personal / fleet bragging or whatever.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all ego/bragging/glory.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume they bought all the cadet offers and DYC.
    So $160 to start with I wonder if they plan to buy the rest on Sat. for another $110 asuming they buy the DYC again.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

You nailed it. I can't imagine doing such a thing. It means no real reward and takes possibilities of real rewards from others. I can't imagine that is fun.
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Or they had 6500 dilithium saved up and then just got REALLY lucky and got polywater in each of the ten packs.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • gdo46fzq5hv5.png
    GAWA wrote: »
    How is it possible to get so far ahead only 50 mins into a faction event?gq2x74pbkeq3.jpg
    I was going to post the same question here.. looks like I found my answer thanks to the brilliant captains here.
    This was taken an hour and a half after the event started.
    Must be nice to have $$ to burn! Did they really want that hideous lookin Polywater Yar so badly and beat the pants off the leaderboards? $160 or more to get the top prize which are not worth that much in the game if you make doubles or trade for honor(since that's all you can do) illogical! Takes the fun out of the competition as mentioned by DavideBooks.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    The funniest part to me is that, personally, I have absolutely NO desire to get that Yar, and Admiral Ross is going right into the freezer come Monday morning. I mean, of all the events to burn hard on, this would not be the one I'd choose. :)
  • Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭
    This is why WE can't have nice things. 8o)

p21q2wmy8t13.png
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do I stay in a resort hotel when I could stay in a Motel 6, because both have beds and suit my immediate needs?

Why do I drive a premium luxury car, when a used domestic car still gets me from A to B?

Why, in Vegas, did I play $50 a pull slot machines vs. $0.25 a pull - when both give me the same odds of winning?

Because I can.
    Some people have different valuations, budgets and overall outlooks on money than the next person. Doesn't make them wrong, guilty, or any less of a person than the next.

I don't say it is wrong. I just personally think it wouldn't be fun.
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    And, beyond that, nobody needs to explain or justify why they enjoy doing what they do, playing a game or otherwise. Their money, their time, their business. As it relates to this, the game is designed to give players this option, and these players are choosing to use it, for reasons that are their own. I can't ever see myself in the position to play this game that way, as, like several of you have said, I don't think I would find it personally rewarding relative to the expense. But I have no qualms letting those who can do. They help keep this game going for as long as it ultimately will.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    So - just so we are clear - I chose to spend my free time playing this game and supporting the developer and its future because I've found value and life-long friends, whom I've met many times in real life, as well as a potential wife because of the 'random Star Trek game'.

You better believe it.

So do I, my friend. To all of that. Well, except I haven't met a potential wife, but that's really cool, and I wish you two the best.

I also stay in relatively upscale hotels, because I don't like going home with new infections. :smile:
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't ever get upset or tired of seeing this response/question - be it here or over on reddit. It's a perfectly natural thing to ask that after 30 mins into a faction event - faction events are the only event you can use straight cash money to speed up and instantly increase your score. Every other event type requires some form of time, resources or effort.

It can also be disconcerting for some people new and old that, as time goes on, the window for finishing high in an event and getting that achievement grows smaller and smaller. As the game continues on, it's rare to get an opportunity where a shuttle event with no real interest pops up - that's as fine a chance as any to gun for it. Sadly, what you'll see, is that the top 50 is nearly unreachable in the end without spending *something*. I say nearly, because VIP0 has made it to the top 50 of a faction - more than once - but it requires 4 shuttles, amazing crew and all the boosts.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran the numbers the last faction event. Running 4k shuttles at 80% success and running 9 hour overnight and 1.5 hour boosts nonstop the rest of the time, that wouldn't have cracked the top 50. You'd need to run 1.5 speed boosts overnight and not sleep or have better than 80% success.

Squad leader getting a big boost from a really good squad could help also.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do I stay in a resort hotel when I could stay in a Motel 6, because both have beds and suit my immediate needs?

Why do I drive a premium luxury car, when a used domestic car still gets me from A to B?

Why, in Vegas, did I play $50 a pull slot machines vs. $0.25 a pull - when both give me the same odds of winning?

Because I can.
    Some people have different valuations, budgets and overall outlooks on money than the next person. Doesn't make them wrong, guilty, or any less of a person than the next.

Fair enough, I mean yes, if I literally had money to burn, I would probably spend more in this game. But if you've been lucky enough in life to be successful and financially well-off, does it really matter if you see your name at the top of some leaderboard in a mediocre event that people will forget as soon as its over, in some random Star Trek game that very few people have heard of?

I mean, you'd think for this hypothetical version of myself, all of the achievements I had in life would be far more meaningful to me than any in the game.

Let’s also be clear about another thing. Luck had nothing to do with where I am in life. Nothing was ever handed to me

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Because I can.

Fair enough, I mean yes, if I literally had money to burn, I would probably spend more in this game. But if you've been lucky enough in life to be successful and financially well-off, does it really matter if you see your name at the top of some leaderboard in a mediocre event that people will forget as soon as its over, in some random Star Trek game that very few people have heard of?

I mean, you'd think for this hypothetical version of myself, all of the achievements I had in life would be far more meaningful to me than any in the game.

Let’s also be clear about another thing. Luck had nothing to do with where I am in life. Nothing was ever handed to me

Nobody's attacking you, please try not to take this so personally. You volunteered all of this information yourself. I assure you, no one said you were lucky, or got something you didn't earn.

You know you’re right. Perhaps I was a little over reactive to that and I do apologize. I struggled with life but worked and worked and kept at it. It wasn’t until I was 38 that it paid off and I was given a chance to either climb the ladder or fall off of it. The very day I started the best position I ever had, my wife left. I was devastated yet I had to push through or I would fall off that ladder. I did push through and I climbed. So I’m sorry to have been snippy. The road was not laid out for me with rose petals so I take pride in where I am.

• WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I must add if DB nerfs Polywater in the future this person is owed money. I assume they bought Polywater for skirmish purposes with side bonus of arena. Nerfing Polywaters ship battles stats would be a bait and switch. Which we all know is against the law. DB heed my warning here.

Edit: Though DB could do it another way by having ships with sooner cloak🙄

Edit2: I made this comment because when I saw Polywaters ship battle skills I knew she would be top crew for that. My first thought was DB will nerf her after mega event. I have only spent $45.00 and 400 dill. more in my attempt to get more than 1F of her. My spending is small compared to the two leaders so far.