Home Ready Room
Options

Ultra Rare vs Legendary Citation

I'm trying to figure out if I should save my honor up to 50,000 each time to get a Legendary Citation or if at 18,000 I should get an Ultra Rare Citation. Part of me thinks that I should wait for the Legendary because getting multiple copies of a character is pretty hard to do whereas Ultra Rares I can usually manage to get 3 copies during an event. But then I wonder if it might be better to FF/FE my purples because that would potentially help me do longer voyages which in turn will help me get better rewards. I currently can do about 5 - 5.5 hours consistently. With more maxed purples I think I'd be able to eventually get that to 8 hour voyages to reap a better tier of rewards.

What do you think: Save for the Legendary Citations or go for the Ultra Rare citations? I'd love to hear your reasoning behind your suggestion. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only cite Super Rares if it lets me get them out of my active crew, or they're a base stat monster.

I only cite Legendaries if they're already at 4/5. Putting a second star on a Legendary isn't going to do much at all. You'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Pol wrote: »
    I never got a purple citation... the only purples i would consider for a citation are the voyage only purples (you get them only on voyages and only once). Golds are so much better and hard to come by... also you wont hit the 8 hour mark without a mostly gold crew

I thought having more purples would allow me to more easily get the things I needed to get to golds. Is that not so?
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    By that I mean more equipment/components and honor.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I never got a purple citation... the only purples i would consider for a citation are the voyage only purples (you get them only on voyages and only once). Golds are so much better and hard to come by... also you wont hit the 8 hour mark without a mostly gold crew

I've been playing nearly two years. Most of my legendaries sit there doing absolutely nothing except taking up space. My immortal super-rares (purples) are on every shuttle and lots of voyages. Otherwise I'm freezing them. The legendaries sit BECAUSE I can't get stars for them as quickly. But it's a long trek between 1 and 5, and it isn't worth 50k honor a pop. Not unless they're already at 3 or 4/5.
    muwoo wrote: »

This doesn't make sense. Do you mean your voyages last longer? That depends on the stats, not the "color" of the crew. Having legendaries there does not ensure you better "prizes" for the same amount of time.

The point is, do what you want with your honor, but be picky about what advice you choose to take.

• Options
    yes, but purples come at you from both events and voyages, while legendaries are much harder to get from events and don't drop from voyages at all. Investing honor in purples which you'll gradually be flooded in will be a waste, as you'll eventually freeze most of them as power creep brings newer better ones, while most people never airlock a legendary.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

I've been playing nearly two years. Most of my legendaries sit there doing absolutely nothing except taking up space. My super-rares (purples) are on every shuttle and lots of voyages.

This doesn't make sense. Do you mean your voyages last longer? That depends on the stats, not the "color" of the crew.

The point is, do what you want with your honor, but be picky about what advice you choose to take.

That's good advice. Kind of a bummer that golds aren't significantly better than purples always.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

I've been playing nearly two years. Most of my legendaries sit there doing absolutely nothing except taking up space. My immortal super-rares (purples) are on every shuttle and lots of voyages. Otherwise I'm freezing them. The legendaries sit BECAUSE I can't get stars for them as quickly. But it's a long trek between 1 and 5, and it isn't worth 50k honor a pop. Not unless they're already at 3 or 4/5.

This doesn't make sense. Do you mean your voyages last longer? That depends on the stats, not the "color" of the crew. Having legendaries there does not ensure you better "prizes" for the same amount of time.

Yes, i meant that I'd get longer voyages not that there was anything inherently more rewarding because of crew rarity.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    yes, but purples come at you from both events and voyages, while legendaries are much harder to get from events and don't drop from voyages at all. Investing honor in purples which you'll gradually be flooded in will be a waste, as you'll eventually freeze most of them as power creep brings newer better ones, while most people never airlock a legendary.

True - I think the OP and I both mean the purples that end with events at 3/4. I usually cite those, if I haven't risked buying a pack. Most of the time it's so I can freeze them. But occasionally, they're new base stat monsters, so I keep them in my active crew. It actually works out pretty well, I'll have 18k honor saved up by the time another faction or skirmish event rolls around.

I definitely wouldn't add a citation to anyone who is in the pack/voyage rotation, because I know the moment I do, they'll pop up for me.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

At this point I have very few FF/FE purps and feel a bit stagnant. I get what you are saying about being flooded in them but that seems like it's still going to be quite a ways away.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

True - I think the OP and I both mean the purples that end with events at 3/4. I usually cite those, if I haven't risked buying a pack. Most of the time it's so I can freeze them. But occasionally, they're new base stat monsters, so I keep them in my active crew. It actually works out pretty well, I'll have 18k honor saved up by the time another faction or skirmish event rolls around.

I definitely wouldn't add a citation to anyone who is in the pack/voyage rotation, because I know the moment I do, they'll pop up for me.

Exactly correct.
  • Options
    PolPol ✭✭✭
    I would also say that the final star on a mega event gold is a must...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'll also tell you the Legendaries I've cited:
    Kortar, Prisoner Cornwell, Surak, Bell Riots Bashir, Ru'Afo, and Guinan (she was at 4/5 when she left gauntlet for me).

I would have done Mirror Picard and Borg Queen but I got them other ways. The next one I might do is T'Kuvma, I just hate him. I'm thinking about putting a star on my Laborer Spock, who is 3/5 now. But I know that's when I'll get him in packs.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    That's always the way it happens. :)
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Kortar, Prisoner Cornwell, Surak, Bell Riots Bashir, Ru'Afo, and Guinan (she was at 4/5 when she left gauntlet for me).

I would have done Mirror Picard and Borg Queen but I got them other ways. The next one I might do is T'Kuvma, I just hate him. I'm thinking about putting a star on my Laborer Spock, who is 3/5 now. But I know that's when I'll get him in packs.

Why do you hate T'Kuvma?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Why do you hate T'Kuvma?

For one thing, the guy talked like his mouth was full of cement. It took him FOREVER to speak, those were the slowest moments in the pilot episode. Plus, he dies like a bi...

Plus he looks like an Orc from Lord of the Rings.

Plus he's two-stat. Yes, so is Laborer Spock - but they're more useful of a two.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    ROFL. I'm with you...but then I hate all Klingons.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I can only tell you that for myself it’s gold cites all the way. Purples will come with time and patience, but there are few opportunities to star up golds and in the long run multi star golds will make your roster better. I’ve only ever cited a purple once and that was with the free cite DB gave out a while back. Even then I waited until we got a particularly good crew.

Of course a lot of this goes out the window if slots are an issue. In that case you might need to cite so you can freeze for crew space.

When choosing who to cite I usually look at how good they are for voyages. I’ll usually look and see who I have for top 50 voyage crew as a starting point and whoever I have closest to the top of that list gets the most consideration (some golds just aren’t worth citing). I don’t always cite up the top first though, sometimes I’ll go with someone lower in the list depending on skill combinations.

Before voyages I’d pay attention mostly to base stats and would look at the average of my top four in each skill to see where I needed the most work. While this can also be useful/helpful especially when you don’t have bonus crew for an event I’ve put less of an emphasis on it since voyages started.
  • Options

I'm probably not the right person to ask, I have 314 immortals. My biggest problem right now is useless 1/5s taking up space in my crew. In fact, sometimes I cringe when I get a legendary behold with 3 people I know I don't want. I airlocked Abraham Lincoln the other day.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

I'm probably not the right person to ask, I have 314 immortals. My biggest problem right now is useless 1/5s taking up space in my crew. In fact, sometimes I cringe when I get a legendary behold with 3 people I know I don't want. I airlocked Abraham Lincoln the other day.

Abe wouldn't excite me much. I have airlocked a gold before but I don't remember who. As a new(ish) player the temptation to hold on to them with a kung-fu grip is strong but it's easier if I don't like the characters much.

• Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    I can only tell you that for myself it’s gold cites all the way. Purples will come with time and patience, but there are few opportunities to star up golds and in the long run multi star golds will make your roster better. I’ve only ever cited a purple once and that was with the free cite DB gave out a while back. Even then I waited until we got a particularly good crew.

Of course a lot of this goes out the window if slots are an issue. In that case you might need to cite so you can freeze for crew space.

When choosing who to cite I usually look at how good they are for voyages. I’ll usually look and see who I have for top 50 voyage crew as a starting point and whoever I have closest to the top of that list gets the most consideration (some golds just aren’t worth citing). I don’t always cite up the top first though, sometimes I’ll go with someone lower in the list depending on skill combinations.

Before voyages I’d pay attention mostly to base stats and would look at the average of my top four in each skill to see where I needed the most work. While this can also be useful/helpful especially when you don’t have bonus crew for an event I’ve put less of an emphasis on it since voyages started.

When you say you look for how good they are for voyages do you mean their base stats or is there some other consideration?
  • Options

If you're going to keep them in your active crew anyways, there's no need to cite them, they will still take up the slot whether 3/4 or 4/4. Base stats crew are only useful in shuttles, and stronger crew for daily shuttles don't matter, the difficulty just adjusts to keep you around 60% success rate. So they only matter for faction events. In faction events, the bigger determining factor of success is if you've got event crew or variants. Since this 3/4 is a brand new crew, they won't be event crew again for a while. So, the benefit of citing from 3/4 to 4/4 is only maybe a 1-2% bump in one shuttle on faction events, if that crew member is even useful for a slot.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

When you say you look for how good they are for voyages do you mean their base stats or is there some other consideration?

I look at their voyage ranking and voyage stats (base plus average roll) on the spreadsheet PeachtreeRex maintains. (There is a tab for voyages)

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/43/stt-level-100-spreadsheet#latest
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

I look at their voyage ranking and voyage stats (base plus average roll) on the spreadsheet PeachtreeRex maintains. (There is a tab for voyages)

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/43/stt-level-100-spreadsheet#latest

Great resource! Thanks for the link.

• Options
    edited August 2018

If you're going to keep them in your active crew anyways, there's no need to cite them, they will still take up the slot whether 3/4 or 4/4. Base stats crew are only useful in shuttles, and stronger crew for daily shuttles don't matter, the difficulty just adjusts to keep you around 60% success rate. So they only matter for faction events. In faction events, the bigger determining factor of success is if you've got event crew or variants. Since this 3/4 is a brand new crew, they won't be event crew again for a while. So, the benefit of citing from 3/4 to 4/4 is only maybe a 1-2% bump in one shuttle on faction events, if that crew member is even useful for a slot.

Why would I waste a crew slot on a new event 3/4 if I can cite them and either get rid of them or use them. A 3/4 is of no use to me, unless they're crazy OP like Mirror Jadzia Dax. Who I cited anyway.

They probably wouldn't even get a seat on the shuttle.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I do the following:

- I cite all mega-event 5*s (even though they will get into the portal pool at some stage). I figure the odds of getting an all mega-event behold is pretty small.
    - I cite Voyage-only 4*s. EDIT: Thot Gor has now dropped twice for me ... no more citations here for the immediate future.

- For a long time I cited all new 4* Threshold crew for Faction events (and now Skirmish) ... there were a couple of reasons for this:
    a) The portal pool was just not getting updated by DB and I was getting stuck with a lot of 3/4 crew from Faction events that were clogging up my roster ... I had around 150k in Honor so decided to start from the event The Daystrom Award (Commander Chapel).
    b) I was still missing a lot of the older crew, so I'd often get new crew in from Voyages (or the odd portal pull) ... there was a lot coming in but nothing going out. :) (I don not airlock 4*s I do not have).
    c) I pretty much freeze all immortalised 4* crew anyway, especially if they are 2-skill. So hey, why not.
    d) Last but not least ... I do not buy packs, so getting in new crew is pretty much only through Voyages and the Galaxy community pull.

--> However, with the mega-events coming at a more frequent pace now-a-days, and hopefully with more frequent portal updates, I just might revise my tactics.
    My Honor has gone down since then ... even though I can make 18k between two Faction events in general, but with the introduction of Skirmish events too (I don't count Expedition, because we very rarely get them) that also only give out a 3/4 ... I'm starting to see a marked reduction ... I'm down to 60k ... we'll see what the upcoming event schedule throws us.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only cite legendaries. I still have the free super rare citation we got from whatever bug or mistake they gave it to us for. I will prolly never use it. Gold is the standard
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually, you get to the point where the margins you improve your crew by citing a 4* get so tiny that it isn't worth it. For the most part, unless it's covering a rare stat grouping (MED+CMD, MED+ENG, ENG+DIP primarily), a 4* crew member probably doesn't break into a voyage or shuttle slot for me. The only way I can really improve those phases of the game is by citing 5*s.

For example, I have Jannar sitting at 1/4 and is the 4th highest voyage score for a 4* in the game. But, if I were to FF/FE him, he wouldn't even crack the top 25 of my crew. He'd be behind a host of 5*s at various stages of fusions.

The only reason I would spend the honor to get a 4* cited up would be of I was running out of crew space and they had a trait linked to a relevant collection. I am neither running out of space nor am I so eager to finish off collections that I would sacrifice growing my 5*s.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Legendaries are the way to go, I built Guinan up cited all mega legendaries after mirror picard I was one of the few happy bunnies to have that free picard ;)

Now I am looking to cite lawnmower man la forge who’s 2/5 because he is high ranking for voyages and not in the regular portal. I could finish mintakan riker who is 4/5 but he is quite low in rankings and in portal. So in short pick your best legendary preferably one that’s not in portal and build them up the better the legendary the more value you get out of using each citation. Also keep 50k in reserve for the next mega event, eventually purples will get put in to the portal and you have more chance they will drop so to my mind citing legendary is far better using 18k for a rare that will eventually only net you 200 honor the next time is far worse return.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I used to do purple citations a lot, but after i immortalized my first gold, i realized they are where the power is... now i always do 8hr voyages naturally (no dil), and that pulls in the purples on its own, but randomly, over time.