Home The Bridge

PSA: Don't Cash in Honor on Citations to Hold. The Inventory Cap May Eat Them.

Comments

• What's the Federation shuttle bug? I don't know about this?

Basically, for whatever reason, Federation shuttles have become stuck for many players during events causing their shared crew, purchased event crew, and even entire shuttles to become stuck (to where you cannot claim any and also cannot send any so you are totally dead in the water during an event). Sometimes it will still let you send some, but not all, or let you send all -- but of another faction.

It has happened to me personally, and I'm aware of a number of other players for whom the same has happened. We've all had to file tickets to get our shuttles unstuck, so DB is absolutely aware of this. The first reports of this bug date back to April.

As I mentioned, it appears to only happens with Federation. So why they keep putting Fed into faction events is beyond me. But I refuse to send any outside of the quickstart shuttles now after having it happen recently.

That's really bad.

I have had shuttles that 'disappear' - on return, you hit 'complete' and they vanish, and you can't send another shuttle in its place. An app restart does fix this though, and I'm not sure it's the same 'bug' because I assume most players would be savvy enough to do a restart when things glitch up: or for some.reason I've been lucky enough for that to work. I do the same when voyages get stuck too. It's usually a connection problem from what I can make out. The worst voyage I had was when I updated the app halfway through a voyage and it was as glitchy as anything, but I also had internet issues that day that was doing all sorts of weird things.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • They already have a record of every citation you have purchased and they have a record of every citation that you have used (the Voyage Portal Crew refund shows this) so it sounds like they just didn't want to do the homework. Citations Purchased minus Citations Used equals the number deleted.

I really wish they would just remove the cap. Don't keep creating new items if they can't be held. Every new crew results in multiple new items. Just stop making them crew specific. Instead of Scotty's Security Uniform 4* and Worf's Security Uniform 4* and Reed's Security Uniform, just make it Security Uniform 4* so it only takes one inventory slot with a quantity of 3 instead of 3 if you had all 3 with a quantity of 1.

Actually, that's not how they calculated the voyage honor refund. The refund was based on 18,000 honor per star you had on a voyage exclusive crew above 1/4.

Seriously. So if you got another due to a bug or them being featured in packs, you got 18k honor for that too.

That can’t be the way they did it. I got refunded for 5 out of the 6. I had all 6 FF. I did not get refunded for Colonel Worf. He’s the only one that I FF with drops. If they did it the way you suggested I would’ve gotten another 72,000 honor.

You should only have gotten 54k maximum per crew.

I don't know if they accounted for Guinan's star in the achievements. So somewhere from 306-324k for all 6 of them. How much did you get?

Correct. When I was typing I was just doing the math in my head multiplied by four.

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the Federation shuttle bug? I don't know about this?

Basically, for whatever reason, Federation shuttles have become stuck for many players during events causing their shared crew, purchased event crew, and even entire shuttles to become stuck (to where you cannot claim any and also cannot send any so you are totally dead in the water during an event). Sometimes it will still let you send some, but not all, or let you send all -- but of another faction.

It has happened to me personally, and I'm aware of a number of other players for whom the same has happened. We've all had to file tickets to get our shuttles unstuck, so DB is absolutely aware of this. The first reports of this bug date back to April.

As I mentioned, it appears to only happens with Federation. So why they keep putting Fed into faction events is beyond me. But I refuse to send any outside of the quickstart shuttles now after having it happen recently.

Now that you have described the problem, I had something very similar happen with a Maquis shuttle a few events ago, where one of the four I sent out would not collect (it just three out an error message the first time I tried to collect and then did nothing on subsequen attempts). I chalked it up to a connection issue on my end that confused the server and it did fix itself after about six or seven game restarts, but now I really wonder if it wasn’t a similar problem to what you are seeing on Fed shuttles.
  • The damn ghost shuttle! I had crew stuck on a shuttle for 10 MONTHS. I had 4 FF crew I could no longer use. When it first happened DB refused to give me back any but one copy of each. It took 2 weeks of emailing before they finally gave me the appropriate crew copies at the appropriate levels.

They killed my will. After that incident I just roll with the bugs. I will usually ask my fleet if its worth contacting CS. If it is a widespread issue you have a better chance of getting resolution. If its and issue only happening to a few players, like the ghost shuttles, you will basically be called a liar by the first 3-4 CS people and only after multiple escalations you may get resolution with not so much as an apology.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove the game is broken to bunch of people who should already know.
  • TonyZeeTonyZee ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Item deletion seems ludicrous. Game should make you make room, or allow deletion of new items, just like.....every othe game I've ever played? I religiously replicate with items so I don't have this problem.

And...uh.... more like Gold-pressed Latinum Rose! $1.7 million in on this game? You should be able to make up rules as you go!

Honestly, its deeply frustrating to hear so many people with issues, I have had nothing but a great experience myself but it does make me nervous to see so many people unsatisfied, especially the top player in the game. I've spent $3k since April and just now feeling competitive, and like @Dirk Gunderson said (shout out to my starbase partner!) The last month plus has been rocky and gives one pause. I think I will also tone down my spending until things smooth out a bit (but I got my Dehner, Dirk 😎😎)
  • Please just increase the maximum capacity to 1500. Easy as that.
    Interested in being part of the TLA fun?
  • edited September 2018
    [TLA] 84wb wrote: »
    Please just increase the maximum capacity to 1500. Easy as that.

Or better yet, increase the cap to infinity, a cap for a game where you gotta build stuff...sort of stupid imo
  • The damn ghost shuttle! I had crew stuck on a shuttle for 10 MONTHS. I had 4 FF crew I could no longer use. When it first happened DB refused to give me back any but one copy of each. It took 2 weeks of emailing before they finally gave me the appropriate crew copies at the appropriate levels.

Yes, I had the same issue once. I had four crew "locked" on a shuttle that never returned. Eventually, CS deleted those characters and then gave them back... at level 1. It took a few times going back and forth but eventually they sorted it out.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
    Chief Intelligence Officer
  • I'm really sad to read your latest experience with cs, SilverRose. Ever since the Independence Day bugged pack fiasco it almost seems like db is trying to alienate their most faithful customers. In a game riddled with bugs and human error you'd think it would only make good business sense to have cs that acted in a timely, knowledgeable manner, with a benign policy rather than presenting a brick wall. I know a goodly number of top players have recently left the game or stopped spending due to DB errors, it would be interesting, and perhaps salutary for DB, if we knew how many.
  • We can also add 9) Not fixing or properly working to prevent players from encountering known issues.

The inventory cap is just one of many. There's also the stuck voyages that we have to use a 3rd party tool to possibly fix, and the Federation event shuttle bug that they've known about since April and haven't taken any steps to fix at all - and while knowing about it, they keep shoving Fed as a faction into a lot of shuttle events.

The Time Portal bug which means some players cannot see what has been received/which behold to choose. This has cost them my money for twelve months.
  • Shan wrote: »
    I have already escalated this, but yes contacting me would have helped.
    I will also bring up again the inventory management pains.

This isn't a crack at you, but what about non-forum members? Are they supposed to just **tsk tsk** it up when CS fail?

I think we'd all appreciate it if you had a much easier job as admin.
  • y'all realize the game would grind to a halt w/o some kind of limitations on crew slots/inventory/etc, right?

Their databases are built on one the most basic version of SQL imaginable and their entire infrastructure was messily designed and implemented. It does not scale well at all leading to constant performance issues, hence their constant attempts of messing with things such as number of shuttles you can open in events, crew slots, etc.

This. I'd love to know if they plan to rectify this. Functionally, the game doesn't do that much, and should be easy to horizontally scale.

It's whether they're inclined to throw the resource at it, or just let the game gain cruft until it collapses in on itself. The last few weeks hardly inspire confidence in the former.
  • y'all realize the game would grind to a halt w/o some kind of limitations on crew slots/inventory/etc, right?

Not really. They could remove the cap without impacting performance simply by stopping the creation of unique character specific items. Performance remains good and players don’t get shafted
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    y'all realize the game would grind to a halt w/o some kind of limitations on crew slots/inventory/etc, right?

Not really. They could remove the cap without impacting performance simply by stopping the creation of unique character specific items. Performance remains good and players don’t get shafted

Except there are already well in excess of thousands of unique items in the game. The cap was implemented some time ago and items have just grown since. Even if they were to stop creating new items (which would seem unlikely) they still have the issue of the previously created items.

Except there are already well in excess of thousands of unique items in the game. The cap was implemented some time ago and items have just grown since. Even if they were to stop creating new items (which would seem unlikely) they still have the issue of the previously created items.

There’s also an easy solution for that. Remove all of those unique items in the recipes and replace them with the generic version of those items. The total number of unique items in the game would drop dramatically. Then just convert everyone’s inventory of those unique items to the new generic version

y'all realize the game would grind to a halt w/o some kind of limitations on crew slots/inventory/etc, right?

There’s also an easy solution for that. Remove all of those unique items in the recipes and replace them with the generic version of those items. The total number of unique items in the game would drop dramatically. Then just convert everyone’s inventory of those unique items to the new generic version

I guess I disagree that updating every single item in the game is anywhere near an easy solution without potentially other (worse) ramifications.
  • Where in the gameplay notes and guide does it say there is a cap on the inventory?

Nowhere, because there isn't a guide.

Let's be fair, CS is expected to find out about this in the same way we do.

Word of Mouth.

Hopefully the CS reps share that new information with each other, but now that cigarette breaks have been all but abolished I can't see that happening any time soon
  • Where in the gameplay notes and guide does it say there is a cap on the inventory?

Nowhere, because there isn't a guide.

Let's be fair, CS is expected to find out about this in the same way we do.

Word of Mouth.

Hopefully the CS reps share that new information with each other, but now that cigarette breaks have been all but abolished I can't see that happening any time soon

I don’t know how ZenDesk works but any good CRM system should have a knowledge database that the CS reps could search for known issues or previous ticketed cases. With support personal working from anywhere in the world (potentially even out of their homes) there is no need to have smoke breaks or water cooler conversations to share information.

This wouldn’t be the first time someone has opened a ticket for this issue.

If the CS agents aren’t provided with the proper tools or knowledge, the players shouldn’t be the ones educating them or having to feel the pain of this lack internal DB procedures.

I work in customer support. I work out of my house. My company provides me with the tools and knowledge needed for me to do my job. If I can’t find the answers to help my customers, I don’t call them liars and close the ticket. I go ask my co-workers if they’ve seen this before. Or I go look at internal documentation and if all else fails I go talk to a developer for clarification. Developers shouldn’t be off limits to help with questions. They wrote the code. They (should) know how it works. If they don’t get new developers who know wat they’re doing.

Simple as that.

And that's how CS SHOULD work. I was attempting to be amusing, I hope you realise :smiley:

I just don't get how SilverRose had so much trouble tbh. It's kind of mind boggling actually. These days I'm mostly amused: I'm also gathering lots of information on how not to do things. I'm very glad she got her citations back, but that should have been a done deal the moment she opened her ticket. Sigh.
  • I keep seeing the reference to the shuttle calculations being nerfed. I get that they don't do what they say, but when it affects everyone the same, is it really this massive issue that everyone makes of it? For most faction events, I'm hitting 90% on most shuttles before using a boost.
    Also, you should be reimbursed your honor or citations, that's only fair. I go through my equipment every month and burn off equipment I'll never use as replicator food until I'm under 900 equipment to make sure that issue never happens for me.
    I keep seeing the reference to the shuttle calculations being nerfed. I get that they don't do what they say, but when it affects everyone the same, is it really this massive issue that everyone makes of it? For most faction events, I'm hitting 90% on most shuttles before using a boost.
    Also, you should be reimbursed your honor or citations, that's only fair. I go through my equipment every month and burn off equipment I'll never use as replicator food until I'm under 900 equipment to make sure that issue never happens for me.

So as to not derail this thread, I recommend you check out this one regarding the shuttle issue. I posted (what I think) is a pretty good summary of the problem on page 2:
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10481/faction-event-again-shan-will-we-get-an-update-about-the-bug-ticket-on-the-shuttles/p2

Their databases are built on one the most basic version of SQL imaginable and their entire infrastructure was messily designed and implemented. It does not scale well at all leading to constant performance issues, hence their constant attempts of messing with things such as number of shuttles you can open in events, crew slots, etc.

MSSQL?
  • I was thinking SQLite. Every discount game producers favorite go to.
  • Crap. I was at 1011/1000 a few days ago. I have no idea what I lost.