Home The Bridge

What are your thoughts regarding the recent addition non-canon content?

Timelines contains quite a fair bit of non-canon content now.

We've got the whole TNG Mirror Universe characters, Aviator Yar, Tuskegee Mayweather, Mirror Janeway, the infamous 23rd Century Martok amongst others.

Recently, we've seen the inclusion of Army Chaplain Odo in what can only be described as a M*A*S*H cross-over event and now we have the inclusion of a fake planet in homage of some glass sculptor that the majority of us had never heard of.

My question is this:
"What are your thoughts regarding the recent addition of non-canon content?".

What are your thoughts regarding the recent addition non-canon content? 120 votes

Happy! I love the new content and would love to see what else DB has op their sleeves.
17% 21 votes
Cautious - I like some of the work that they have done. But I'm worried we will stray too far from true Trek.
41% 50 votes
Indifferent - I couldn't give a monkey's if the content is canon or not. Just give me more content!
15% 19 votes
Upset - I was under the impression that this game would be canon only.
13% 16 votes
Angry! - This content is offensive to me. I'm seriously rethinking spending any further time or money on this game.
4% 5 votes
Other - Because there's always room for a new perspective.
7% 9 votes

Comments

• IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a light and dark side to everything.

When DB made an Aviator Yar, we should've known that 23rd Century Martok was coming.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Well, since they added STD to the bunch I knew a lot more fanfic would slip into this game.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answered indifferent, but I'll also add that a new planet is easier to swallow than non-canon crew. There were always tons of "uncharted" star systems in Star Trek... so this is one of them now charted (apparently) who cares. I have to use crew a lot more in this game than I travel to individual planets... this is a smalllllll thing for people to care about IMO
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty indifferent. I would like new content rather than re hashing the same stuff over and over
    DB: Do Better
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Webberoni wrote: »
    The addition of the cartoon series and the mirror TNG crew that existed without being seen on screen was borderline at best for me, especially with some of the terrible artwork.
    The Animated Series doesn't bother me since it is officially considered canon. It was originally canon, then for a while it wasn't, then it was again.
    It's no surprise that it's canon since several of the script ideas were intended for a 4th season of the Original Series

• I guess indifferent. If I had my preference they would exhaust canon characters and planets before adding non-canon stuff, but I don't mind the non-canon - except 23rd century Martok, eff that artwork.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • I don't mind it as long as it's infrequent, looks good, or makes sense. I'm not crazy about the Mirror Universe in general, but non-canon Mirror versions are fine to me. "Fun" stuff like Chaplain Odo is good too.

I'm not really a fan of the Augment ones -- they're just weird looking, unexplained headswaps. I also loathe Borg Geordi. I was shocked that he didn't have a Borg-ified VISOR.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complaining about non-canon crew here is like complaining about how STO introduced new characters like Captain Shon, Commander Tiaru Jarok, and Proconsul D’Tan. “But unlike ST Online, Timelines is about mashing up existing characters!” Well, it’s about a convergence of multiple realities and time periods...this premise not only allows for versions of crew from universes never before seen or imagined, it practically begs for it.

I don’t want to see so many non-canon crew that we never get to see more of our existing favorites, of course. There are many more great characters out there to choose from to make a bevy of new stories for events (and hopefully more future Episodes). I just don’t get my knickers bunched up when a non-canon crew is released regardless of whether or not it’s an interesting character or one that fits into the given storyline, as so many here seem to do.
  • muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Complaining about non-canon crew here is like complaining about how STO introduced new characters like Captain Shon, Commander Tiaru Jarok, and Proconsul D’Tan. “But unlike ST Online, Timelines is about mashing up existing characters!” Well, it’s about a convergence of multiple realities and time periods...this premise not only allows for versions of crew from universes never before seen or imagined, it practically begs for it.

I don’t want to see so many non-canon crew that we never get to see more of our existing favorites, of course. There are many more great characters out there to choose from to make a bevy of new stories for events (and hopefully more future Episodes). I just don’t get my knickers bunched up when a non-canon crew is released regardless of whether or not it’s an interesting character or one that fits into the given storyline, as so many here seem to do.

I agree! Parallels is one of my favorite episodes. I love when you see all those different Enterprises. Heck, there are a lot of other universes we know nothing about that could be incorporated.
  • Well, since they added STD to the bunch I knew a lot more fanfic would slip into this game.

I see what you did there.
    Brunt, FCA wrote: »
    I don't mind it as long as it's infrequent, looks good, or makes sense. I'm not crazy about the Mirror Universe in general, but non-canon Mirror versions are fine to me. "Fun" stuff like Chaplain Odo is good too.

I'm not really a fan of the Augment ones -- they're just weird looking, unexplained headswaps. I also loathe Borg Geordi. I was shocked that he didn't have a Borg-ified VISOR.

I think I'm in the same boat as you on all of this. If you're going to make a non-canon character, at least have the art be decent. i.e. I somehow get the feeling that people wouldn't have complained as much about Mirror Data if his art wasn't so off-putting.

I think my only gripe with MASH Odo is that it would have made more sense (to me, anyway) to fit him into the whole "Second Battle of New York" plotline. It's established non-canon and a bit less hammer-on-head about last week being a secret MASHup event.
  • Indifference for me. As long as it doesn't get too out of hand and at least stick on some kind of point true to trek.
    I was skeptical at first about the Army Odo but then with the storyline from DB, it made it pretty good.
    I have to compliment @RennJaxo for the comment that Odo should maybe have had a MED skill with all the MED seats in the last F.E. shuttles and not much Dominion crew having the MED skill. Plus it would've made the M*A*S*H tie-in a bit better(army hospital)
    Army Odo had 3 skills, if DB would've givin the MED skill to Odo, I'm sure it would've been the lowest of all three like Diseased Founder, I would be alright with this and again, made something a little different from the other Odos.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I personally really love it. Creativity begets creativity, or as a different "Star" franchise video game put it to the contrary, "Apathy is death."

Just my point zero two dollars' worth, but games are meant to be fun, and creative/interesting characters that are invented for this game ARE fun. Like say next week they add in Assimilated Porthos, are you really going to pretend that wouldn't be awesome?! Or if they made a card where Q turned himself into Gandalf?!

Nothing that happens in this game is a threat AT ALL to the canonical legacy of Gene Roddenberry, lighten up and have fun.

EDIT

To summarize, "You kids, come and play on my lawn!"
  • Canonical.
  • Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    I think the new planet looks a bit too cartoonish to go with the rest of the game. But I don't mind it, or the idea behind it.

I really like "triva-based" (sort of) additions like Army Chaplain Odo though. It's like a puzzle being solved when someone on the forum figures out where it's from and then links other stuff to it.
  • While I think it's possible to go over-board, as long as they're not too common I rather enjoy them.

I also like subtler nods, like giving Yelgrun the "musician" trait as a nod to the actor playing him. Again, it would be too much if every other character had this, but as an occasional thing I see it as a treat.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • WhatMeWorryWhatMeWorry ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I think they should issue a He-Man collection, by the Power of Grayskull.
    I said hey, hey what's goin on
  • Whoever wrote the comics didn't stick to 'canon' too well did they? What about all the books? There's a difference I think between 'canon', what fits well into a universe and just adds more stuff not shown on TV, and just plain weird that doesn't quite fit.

I put the spore drive, Chaplain Odo and the glass planet into the last, as in they're a bit weird and don't really fit too well.

Aviator Yar and Combat Medic Paris though, fit into the more likely variety of non-canon. I can imagine both of them as Holodeck characters, at least.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • I really like chaplain odo (obviously lol, as if the name didnt give it away) but the planet to the glass blower guy? Its cool but it makes me wonder, and i am a tad bit concerned as to why they added this. It has nothing to do with star trek, and they will be putting a distress call here? It is odd, but one theory i have is that some how this glas blowing guy will tie into disco, how is still a mystery to me...
  • Characters from the books would be appreciated.
    Star Trek first season rankings from best to worst: DS9, TOS, ENT, VOY, TNG, TAS, ORV, DIS
  • muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Now we need a ship equipped with the Death Blossom. :)
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    muwoo wrote: »

dsuy7teqwpfj.gif

Might be slightly overpowered :)
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NivenFres wrote: »
    muwoo wrote: »

dsuy7teqwpfj.gif

Might be slightly overpowered :)

Oh man… now after seeing that I really want to see these guys added to the game. ;)

1g4kdy027cqg.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"