Home The Bridge

Farming, of a sort

Captain SushiCaptain Sushi ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in The Bridge
I recently immortalized and froze enough crew to consider the following plan, and would like some advice.

In order to replicate an item, you need a crew who has that item in a build. For example, Desert Michael Burnham has a Biological Sample Kit, which requires 0* Science Experiments.

Instead of letting daily replicator uses go to waste, I'd like to use them to stockpile various Faction-only items that have a low credit cost, or those items while not Faction only, are annoying to get. Obviously this means letting some otherwise useless incomplete crew sit there taking up space, but so be it.

I'd like some advice on what items would be good to stockpile, and more importantly, what easy-to-come-by crew are good templates to use for these items, better still if one crew could have multiple items in required builds available at the same time.

So far my "wish list" has:

(updated with suggestions)

0* holoprograms
0* medical experiments
0* Science Experiments
2* Science Experiments
0* ancient films
0* Dominion PADD
0* gagh
0* orchids
0* bloodwine
2* security codes
0* translation algorithms
1* hyperspanner
0* medical lessons
0* encoded communique
0* case files
2* blood wine
2* science lessons (4 x 0* science experiments)
3* science lessons (8 x 0* science experiments)

Comments

• 2* SEC codes, novels and Science Experiments.
    Also useful to get some Ferengi RoA and Romulan emblems stockpiled.

I'll sometimes do champagne and social lessons too.
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nurse Kes can get you science experiments and either medical experiments or medical lessons without leveling her at all. I've used Keevan to get Dominion PADDs at level20.
  • I use GI Chakotay for ancient film and holoprograms.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Yeah, I do this strategy. I highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't have characters to level.
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replicator farm. Welcome to the party!

I have 49 crew members that exist solely to sit at a certain level so I can replicate items or trick Dabo/Gauntlet to give them to me.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but a quicker solution for nearly all of the listed items is to fail your faction shuttles down to 10 minutes, and run those repeatedly. I've gathered 30 0* holoprograms in an hour this way.

The only thing that's really difficult for me to get and I've given up on 100% and replicate the next level up equipment is 2* science experiments.
  • a quicker solution for nearly all of the listed items is to fail your faction shuttles down to 10 minutes

How many failed shuttles does it take to fail an honored faction down to 10 minutes?
  • Check the faction stores everyday. You can get useful items there.
    I don't spend DYC to get items, just merits or credits.
    Section 31 store always has holoprograms. Federation always has films. So on.. Another method is the Cadet challenges, they're free
    You might want to replicate 1* security codes as they are always in need.
    I consult wiki quite often as it can be helpful where in the game to get/obtain items easily.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've been doing this with several unlevelled 1/5 crew, but that list has dwindled to single digits, so I find this thread very timely. I agree that farming faction exclusive or hard to get 0-3* equipment via extra daily replicator uses can be a fantastic (and relatively cheap) strategy.

Though some of these may have been mentioned above, they are not yet updated in the OP:

- 0* medical experiments (or the 0* medical lessons that I farm on Thursdays)
    - 0* encoded communique
    - 0* case files
    - 1* security codes
    - 2* security codes
    - 2* science experiments
    - 2* blood wine
    - 2* science lessons (4 x 0* science experiments)
    - 3* science lessons (8 x 0* science experiments)
    edited September 2018
    a quicker solution for nearly all of the listed items is to fail your faction shuttles down to 10 minutes

How many failed shuttles does it take to fail an honored faction down to 10 minutes?

Honored doesn't have anything to do with it. There's a difficulty that's roughly measured in trainers. 2 or 3 blue tiers, 3 or 4 purple tiers, and infinite gold tiers, 6-7 trainers per success being the highest I could sustain.
    Probably ~ 40 failed shuttles to go from 4-5 gold trainers to the 10 minute blue trainer tier. The better part of a week of failed shuttles. And only a few days to get back up. Worth it to me for the ones I did.

The daily shuttle faction difficulty matches the event shuttle difficulty I think, but 5 minutes being 2 and 10 matching the 10. One loss does equal 1.5 successes for sure.

Event shuttle difficulty FWIW:
    25cwupff8wej.png

• Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep Dr. Laforge around to run holoprograms and medical experiments through the replicator...
  • a quicker solution for nearly all of the listed items is to fail your faction shuttles down to 10 minutes

Honored doesn't have anything to do with it. There's a difficulty that's roughly measured in trainers. 2 or 3 blue tiers, 3 or 4 purple tiers, and infinite gold tiers, 6-7 trainers per success being the highest I could sustain.
    Probably ~ 40 failed shuttles to go from 4-5 gold trainers to the 10 minute blue trainer tier. The better part of a week of failed shuttles. And only a few days to get back up. Worth it to me for the ones I did.

The daily shuttle faction difficulty matches the event shuttle difficulty I think, but 5 minutes being 2 and 10 matching the 10. One loss does equal 1.5 successes for sure.

25cwupff8wej.png

Thanks. I've tried failing my shuttles down before but never seemed to make any progress. I might give it another go now.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    a quicker solution for nearly all of the listed items is to fail your faction shuttles down to 10 minutes

25cwupff8wej.png

Once you factor in how long it takes to "fail down", it really isn't worth it.
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭

25cwupff8wej.png

Thanks. I've tried failing my shuttles down before but never seemed to make any progress. I might give it another go now.

it took me 10 days non-stop failing to get my section31 down to basically zero... first 6 days i was still getting gold trainers (fewer but still), but after that it fell at pretty decent pace. Once you hit the bottom you need to keep failing half of your shuttles to maintain the low difficulty.
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "fail shuttles" solution seems cumbersome to me, but if you have no crew slot space, then I suppose it's a decent option. The "keep farmable crew on roster" solution seems far more user-friendly... IF you have the slots available for it. Otherwise, just be opportunistic about it. When you have a crew member that needs item X, do max replication before and after the day-change (in my case, I can replicate 14 items that way). It'll hold you for a little while at least.

But hey, whatever works best for you.
    The "fail-down" is annoying with how long it takes to get some factions down. But the few factions I've done it to you use very few of the 2* items, and at the high difficulty, the 0* items that you need a metric buttload of actually drop. Unlike at the 3+ gold trainer difficulty where they essentially never drop. I still get some 4* clothing patterns and what not out of it too. Considering you can get down to completing 4 shuttles every 10 minutes, it lets you farm those annoying faction items much more easily when you need them in a pinch.

To each their own, that's just how I've ended up playing it. DB just screwed the pooch on shuttle design and drops, with no choice to pick a difficulty and sticking you at crappy reward tiers.
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've bottomed out two factions, Section 31 and Federation. You can get them to the point where they complete in 30 seconds each, and can go through 14 at a time failing half intentionally to keep it at the lowest difficulty. I am never low on 0* holoprograms or ancient films anymore.

A small added bonus not yet mentioned is that if one of your "crashed" factions is the winning faction of a faction event, you can use the post-event bonus to turn merits into chrons by sending out as many instant-complete shuttles as you have the resources for, at 5 bonus chronitons a pop.
  • Captain SushiCaptain Sushi ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've updated my list in the OP with some suggestions, but would like more.

Also, I'd like more suggestions for which characters are good for which items. Perhaps the list in the OP can be reorganized to be easier to follow, with specific crew listed by each item!

I'm aware of the faction stores, of course, and visit them every day, but there is not always wanted items, or at least not at a price I'm willing to pay.

And of course I do the cadet missions daily, and the new double-the-rewards ads really help with things like 2* Covert Contacts.