Home The Bridge
Options

New Ads Are Cumbersome

2»

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    [KM]Videm wrote: »
    These aren’t ads. They are hijacking for page view counts. The auto play videos are embedded inside the pages.

No, it was an advertisement embedded in the page of the first that was advertising a totally different product.
    It wasn't more of the same ad or article.

So Page 1, start reading advertisement for Hollywood Insider, then I get a video pop up ad for Paper Towels, which then ends and I can then click to page 2 of the Hollywood Insider ad, then eventually claim my reward.

• Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    These aren’t ads. They are hijacking for page view counts. The auto play videos are embedded inside the pages.

No, it was an advertisement embedded in the page of the first that was advertising a totally different product.

So Page 1, start reading advertisement for Hollywood Insider, then I get a video pop up ad for Paper Towels, which then ends and I can then click to page 2 of the Hollywood Insider ad, then eventually claim my reward.

You can kill the pop up videos and not lose the ad credit since you go back to the original page to hit the next page or finish button. I had a 4:30 long video pop up and killed it out of frustration and discovered I was in the clear to get credit still.
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    If the new ads are so bothersome, do what I do and just don’t watch ads any more. The annoyance involved just isn’t worth it to me most of the time...using the rewards doubler on Thursday cadet missions is really it for me these days.

I would do this but you really can accrue some stuff by watching them. I farm galaxy items several times a day, grab 180 extra chrons on mon-wed-fri, and best of all, FREE SCANS!!! You can also double your money on Saturday cadet challenges. Makes it over 150000 credits each run.

I get free scans by waiting, already have a good supply of credits, and am only just starting to run low on crew to level up (I do not yet hoard chrons for events). The extra shuttle boosts are worth it but I have been too impatient to wait an hour between each cadet mission to take advantage...I like to knock them all out as soon as possible so I don’t forget to finish them by the end of the day.

I hear ya on the patience. It is difficult to wait that long between cadet missions. I do it though cuz I figure I have 24 hours to complete them

I take a more "Scientia" approach to this strat. I have a notepad and pen with me, and I write down the times of each warp. I'll run the first Ex Astris Scientia challenge, do the ad warp double reward, note the time, and then 20-25 minutes later I will run a free ad warp, note the time, and then wait 41-46 minutes to ensure the 1 hour cool down on the double reward warp is up (often I'll fire a tracer warp on a 4 chroniton mission to make sure the double reward is off cool down), then repeat. I've found that logging my times has really made this less stressful and maximized my efficiency. And more ads get watched this way too, so DB wins too.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

You can kill the pop up videos and not lose the ad credit since you go back to the original page to hit the next page or finish button. I had a 4:30 long video pop up and killed it out of frustration and discovered I was in the clear to get credit still.

I didn't see a way to kill the video, no X, back button didn't have any effect, it was part of the process so doing a force close closed the parent ad as well.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see a way to kill the video, no X, back button didn't have any effect, it was part of the process so doing a force close closed the parent ad as well.

If you tap on the video while it’s playing you’ll see the usual video controls and there is an X to close it. At least there is on iOS.
  • Options
    Ok so this is the official odd yet strangely normal absurdity in the new 2 part ads.
    One of the ads was interrupted in the first page, for what? Another add that was on the page.
    Was the Hollywood Insider one about the show "Blackish".
    I just about lost my **tsk tsk** laughing at the thing.

Should I get double rewards for looking at an advert within an advert?

Yeah, the ads that have internal popover ads are bizarre.

Besides being more annoying the new ads are buggier than the old ones. I lost out on doubling a Cadet Challenge reward the other day because the ad repeatedly could not be loaded.
  • Options
    The new ads are irrelevant to me. I have no interest whatsoever in what they're showing. Nor do I have any interest in waiting three times the amount of time it took with the previous ads, before I can get back to the game I'm there to play
    HIGH RANKING, HIGHLY SEXY FLEET SEEKS HOT & ACTIVE PEOPLE FOR SOME FUN PLAY.

Have you been naughty? Playing with yourself again? Has another fleet touched you in bad ways? Don’t worry, we will train you…. Gently. Light bondage only. Bring your own handcuffs, though…. We don’t supply them.

We’re not those other guys. Here we shower often, and we treat our members like family.
    We know how to whip some serious tail, yet no one is left to shiver out in the cold. If you need advice, help, strategy, tips or anything at all…. I and my officers are here to help you.

Currently, we're looking for more good people to enjoy the game with us, and we offer a TON to our members, in return. We prefer level 50 members and above. Lower level players than this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

We use the DISCORD app for all our fleet chats (it's free). We're much better organized than many other top-tier fleets in the game, while a heck of a lot more relaxed and much more fun to be a part of. I have numerous other former fleet Admirals who joined me, and we have a world of knowledge and experience to share with you. Sure, we all love the game, and we enjoy playing it often; but we're also a fun family of kooky friends from around the world, who enjoy playing the game together. On top of playing, we also hang out often and share plenty of good laughs, an excellent supportive environment and one another's company.

It's OK if you don't play every day. You don’t have to be a daily player, but the more you play the more fun you’ll have with us. So long as you let me know ahead of time whenever you know you're going to be offline from the game for five days or more, I won't kick you for inactivity. You can send me that message on DISCORD at any time you need to; it takes only a moment. That rule helps keep our fleet as active as possible.

All Captains MUST have a name other than just “Captain” so that others may recognize you. We have no drama, but instead are a close-knit group of good people who treat each other as if we’re both friends & family.

WE’RE ALMOST ALL VERY HIGHLY ACTIVE, and help is never far whenever you might need it, at any stage of the game, nearly 24/7. Whatever your skill level, we can help you.

If you are interested in joining our fleet, please feel free to message me and I will be glad to assist you.

Free steak & Lobster available from our resident chef upon joining (alternate meal suggestions are possible), drinks available through our in-house bartender/barista/host. Please be sure to tip your wait staff. They're nuts, but they're worth it.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new ads are irrelevant to me. I have no interest whatsoever in what they're showing. Nor do I have any interest in waiting three times the amount of time it took with the previous ads, before I can get back to the game I'm there to play

Hmm, the 2-part ads I'm seeing are actually shorter than many of the previous ads. Two parts, of 10 seconds each.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know that it's three times the amount of time. Personally they're worth double cadet loot to me.
  • Options
    I have a small screen, watching visual ads were much more likely to keep my attention than the 2 part ones I'm supposed to read, since i can't on my device without glasses.

And the frequency i fall asleep playing during events makes the glasses impractical just so i can read ads i don't want to read.
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »

Hmm, the 2-part ads I'm seeing are actually shorter than many of the previous ads. Two parts, of 10 seconds each.

mine are 15 second each part, with a break of an average so far of about fifteen to twenty additional seconds for buffering. If you don't hit the next button it can go on for several minutes in between parts one and two. The ads I was previously seeing that were only one part ads, only ran for 15 seconds or at the most to 30.

Have you been naughty? Playing with yourself again? Has another fleet touched you in bad ways? Don’t worry, we will train you…. Gently. Light bondage only. Bring your own handcuffs, though…. We don’t supply them.

We’re not those other guys. Here we shower often, and we treat our members like family.
    We know how to whip some serious tail, yet no one is left to shiver out in the cold. If you need advice, help, strategy, tips or anything at all…. I and my officers are here to help you.

Currently, we're looking for more good people to enjoy the game with us, and we offer a TON to our members, in return. We prefer level 50 members and above. Lower level players than this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

We use the DISCORD app for all our fleet chats (it's free). We're much better organized than many other top-tier fleets in the game, while a heck of a lot more relaxed and much more fun to be a part of. I have numerous other former fleet Admirals who joined me, and we have a world of knowledge and experience to share with you. Sure, we all love the game, and we enjoy playing it often; but we're also a fun family of kooky friends from around the world, who enjoy playing the game together. On top of playing, we also hang out often and share plenty of good laughs, an excellent supportive environment and one another's company.

It's OK if you don't play every day. You don’t have to be a daily player, but the more you play the more fun you’ll have with us. So long as you let me know ahead of time whenever you know you're going to be offline from the game for five days or more, I won't kick you for inactivity. You can send me that message on DISCORD at any time you need to; it takes only a moment. That rule helps keep our fleet as active as possible.

All Captains MUST have a name other than just “Captain” so that others may recognize you. We have no drama, but instead are a close-knit group of good people who treat each other as if we’re both friends & family.

WE’RE ALMOST ALL VERY HIGHLY ACTIVE, and help is never far whenever you might need it, at any stage of the game, nearly 24/7. Whatever your skill level, we can help you.

If you are interested in joining our fleet, please feel free to message me and I will be glad to assist you.

Free steak & Lobster available from our resident chef upon joining (alternate meal suggestions are possible), drinks available through our in-house bartender/barista/host. Please be sure to tip your wait staff. They're nuts, but they're worth it.
  • Options

I don't know that it's three times the amount of time. Personally they're worth double cadet loot to me.

I wish! I'm only getting the same loot out of having to watch much longer ads that are in no way relevant to me at all!

• Options
    Data1001 wrote: »

I agree that the 2 part ads seem shorter than many of the regular 1 part ads I receive.

I also haven't noticed any issues with the ads and do not find them cumbersome in any way. I have never seen an ad asking me to input any information and have always received the correct items, etc. that I should receive (both regular ads and 2x ads). I also have never had to deal with an ad cap but I believe that's because I use Android and someone told me that this was an Apple thing but I'm not sure though. In summation, love the ads and find them very helpful for collecting extra loot.

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    @ByloBand, I thank you sincerely for introducing the term "tracer warp" to the STT Forums
    lexicon. LLAP

edited to minimize inflammation
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Haven't seen any of these myself, but why does it seem (an induction based on your comments) that these are web pages that pay DB the cheap rate so that they can get extra views on the ads they are hosting themselves, which pay them more than this costs them?

If true, that is both brilliant and reprehensible.
  • Options
    Ok so this is the official odd yet strangely normal absurdity in the new 2 part ads.
    One of the ads was interrupted in the first page, for what? Another add that was on the page.
    Was the Hollywood Insider one about the show "Blackish".
    I just about lost my **tsk tsk** laughing at the thing.

Should I get double rewards for looking at an advert within an advert?

Yeah, the ads that have internal popover ads are bizarre.

Besides being more annoying the new ads are buggier than the old ones. I lost out on doubling a Cadet Challenge reward the other day because the ad repeatedly could not be loaded.

Me too. Wish they'd fix that