Home The Bridge
Options

New Event Reward Changes

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I only chase a sub 1000 rank if the crew are advantageous to playing the game, rather than just being a character I like.
    For example, I like Dark Ages McCoy, who used to be the #1 base 5* MED crew, but with recent power creep he is no longer even in the top 10.
    Hence why I'd need to know the stats for the reward that I'm playing for before deciding whether to grind for a sub 1000 rank.
    If it's a Galaxy event, with it's associated last minute blood bath, and / or I can't guarantee a sub-1000 rank I'll consider buying packs, or even a 1/5* offer, but only based on knowing the crew stats in advance.
    So long as DB can give us the stats before the start of the previous event (which I honestly find unlikely), and as long as they resist the urge to change stats after the fact (cough ~ Polywater Yar ~ cough), then I'm happy to give this a go.
    I hate to say it though, but DB don't have a great track record with communicating such things to the player base. I can smell the compensation chrons / crew mounting up already.

rqfkssnehvk2.jpg

(Edited to include a quote from Shan in another thread, saying we WILL get both current and next event stats prior to start).

Let's see how this works out.

kyaekrf0ck6x.gif

• Options
    Keep the discussion rumbling on

glfdmcm0jpaj.png
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Long time lurker, first time voter.

I like the changes, it's fantastic for us mid-level players.
    No more going sub-1000 and getting another 5* that most likely will never see action, at least it'll get used at least once in the following week.
  • Options
    Voted "I don't like the change" and the reason is simple. I'm F2P player so one of my main concerns is slot number limitation. I'm at the point I could quite easily reach for top 1000 at least in Galaxy and Skirmish events but I refuse to do that because I don't like the idea of throwing away a gold character. You want me to participate further? Give me free slot with each gold character. Other than that I end up my participation at the last individual threshold.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I see this as, prior to the change, if a player ranked in the Top 1000, they earned a copy of a Legendary character (or multiple copies if they finished in the top 15/25), and now after this change, a player will still earn a copy of a Legendary character for ranking in the Top 1000. I could understand players being disappointed if the reward they could earn for finishing in the Top 1000 had been reduced, but that is not happening.
    What is really changing then? Prior to this change, the Legendary character earned from finishing in the Top 1000 had been event crew in an event that is already finished at the time when the reward can be claimed. After this change, the Legendary character earned will provide an additional benefit to the player who earned it by ranking in the Top 1000, since the character will be event crew the following weekend. Simply put, what DB has done here is increased the utility of the reward a player has earned. From my perspective, making a reward I have earned more useful is a positive change, and not a negative one.
  • Options
    makes sense. Now the p2p pay to have the best 5* for the event to be able to compete as best as possible. Which means, whales allready have a ff 5*. The freshly won 5* becomes useless. But if they win the 5* for next event, they need to spend LESS on next event...
    p2p who don't fully fuse the 5* to compete stay in the same boat. except they first have the 1* and then decide how much they want to spent to get their 5* to a certain * level. Now they buy some packs on luck and hope to be able to win an extra * to possibly ff it. Now they can first compete anbd if they don't win the 5* they can still decide not to purchase any packs cause they'll need to invest more. It seems to me people would buy less packs because they can make a better informed decision and it's a bit less up to chance.
    I don't see why the hate.
    Some people point out: mis 1 event and have a disadavantage for 2 weeks.
    Not true. If you where a p2p before, it just means you'll spend as much as before the change for an event...
    If you're not a p2p, you wouldn't have the 5* anyway. And thus no impact.

And even better, no more picard gate.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    If you where a p2p before, it just means you'll spend as much as before the change for an event...
    If you're not a p2p, you wouldn't have the 5* anyway. And thus no impact.

Not really. There are different types of paying players, not only the ones willing or able to invest 50 or 100$ a week. I think many of us (maybe the majority) put some money into the game with monthly cards and occasional offers and try to rank above 1000 from time to time. Those are the players who could be negatively affected by the change (I don't know if that will be the case but it could be).
    Normally, I try to rank above 1000 about once a month because I want the featured 5*. I do buy a few event packs and/or the 8 euros crew offer in the hope that I'll get the 5*. If I don't get it, I still have some crew that will help me rank higher and get me into the top 1000. This will change since event crew and the ranked 5* won't be in the same packs anymore. So that's one thing.
    The other thing is that this change is expected to increase competition for the 1-1000 ranks. If I had the ability to plan my strategy in advance I could try to rank above 1000 two weeks in a row, which would cost me more time and effort, but I could do it. But from what I understand, that won't be possible, because, and that's my main issue with this change, they will not provide us with event information any earlier than before. So we have no way to know what the ranked 5* on the next event will be.
    So if there is an event with a ranked 5* that I don't want, but the next one has a ranked 5* that I do want, I will only find out when the current event is already on the second/third day (when we find out the character's name) or over (when we get info on their stats). That means that at the beginning of the following event I won't have the featured crew from the previous one and its bonus. I can get that character out of packs by chance, but if I didn't have it, it means I didn't want it so I don't really feel happy about spending money on it. This could or could not be a problem, but if the change actually ends up in more competition for the top 1000 ranks, then it will be. If more people will try to get into those ranks because now they get a useful crew out of them, it will make things more difficult and from time to time the ranked 5* from the previous event may turn out to be necessary to reach the top 1000 on the next one. So that's why I think that they should at least let us know the event information and the ranked 5* for each event one week earlier, that is, before the previous event starts.
  • Options
    I don’t mind the new structure, I have always thought that getting crew at the end for a current event is a waste. My problem is the threshold rewards. Getting threshold used to mean you were decently ranked, at least in the upper thousands to get a decent character. Now it means nothing. The last time I was “threshold and out” I probably had 10 VP points above the minimum. I ranked 13,803. There were 10 THOUSAND people between me and even a single 4* . What would be my incentive to keep playing at all? That is a huge amount of time and resources for nothing, especially if the 4* is a repeat. There should be more threshold rewards.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Also, so far people could skip event types that they don't enjoy or only do threshold and out on them. Now that may become more difficult since every event is directly linked to the next one.
    And in case the competition around the 1-1000 ranks really increases drastically, it could mean that there will be the same 1000 people in those ranks every week.
    I think that maybe it would be better if the ranked 5* became an event crew on the next event of the same type, but that would probably be even more confusing.

I guess it would have been possible to add a second 5* to the ranked rewards, that can't be obtained out of event packs. It would have solved the same issues this change was aimed at, without creating that much confusion.
  • Options
    I expressed this on the other thread the one started by DB, why not make every event have more threshold rewards, meaningful ones to make people participate on events more.
  • Options
    DittoDitto ✭✭✭
    this change just encourages me to play events LESS .. so opposite effect they're after .. *shrug*
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been thinking a bit regarding these changes, I like that the crew you win becomes useful in the next event, but the overall domino effect is such that you have to rank in every event or spend more. Granted if you *always* rank top 1k, you might actually spend less, but it's not feasible for most players.

If DB were really doing this for the player base, there's a much simpler solution.

Leave the event rewards as they were, but make this week's event crew provide the same level bonuses on the following event.

Example: Next week's event would earn Tuxedo Nog in the Ranked rewards, and we add Boxer Tucker, Pugilist Q, and Klaa to the high bonus list, leaving the small bonus crew alone.

Want to skip a week? No problem. Want a leg up on the following event and want to go all out back to back, go for it.

Sisko

That’s brilliant!

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally, I try to rank above 1000 about once a month because I want the featured 5*. I do buy a few event packs and/or the 8 euros crew offer in the hope that I'll get the 5*. If I don't get it, I still have some crew that will help me rank higher and get me into the top 1000. This will change since event crew and the ranked 5* won't be in the same packs anymore. So that's one thing.

What? The event crew and the ranked 5* not being in the same packs makes no difference. You say that if you buy event packs, you are doing so because you are trying to get the 5* crew which offers a bonus in that event, correct? You still have the same chance of doing so as before, and the same opportunity to use any of those event crew for a max bonus in that event.

And if you want the ranked 5* crew, then just wait until the following weekend and buy event packs then.

There are a lot of people using some pretty strange logic here that I don't understand. This change does not affect anything regarding event packs. All it does is provide a potential head start to people willing and able to rank top 1000 in the previous event — but even that can be offset by simply buying event packs as you would have done in the past.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"