Home The Bridge
Options

key information about next week?

Is there a thread that I am missing with the event crew for next week? I saw the mega event announcement, but can't find next weeks crew....

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to believe that the overwhelming negativity towards the ranked reward changes has DB doing some last-minute soul searching and is making changes on the fly...but more likely, Shan got held up in traffic on her way back from lunch.

If not let’s get this $H|T show started so I can start planning my next two weeks. So yes please, put the next two weeks up

• Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I could care less on the ranked rewards. Only pushed to the top 1k once and realized I don't want to spend that much time/effort to keep doing it so I'll defer to the masses/the powers that be as it won't really impact me. But I'd love to know what I need to start thawing out.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [S14] Bri wrote: »
    I would like to believe that the overwhelming negativity towards the ranked reward changes has DB doing some last-minute soul searching and is making changes on the fly...but more likely, Shan got held up in traffic on her way back from lunch.

The forums are almost always negative. Here’s a thought, why don’t we actually try the new reward system before judging it? I love the idea of being able to use 5* crew I’ve won from being ranked within the top 1000 in the previous event.

It will affect different playing styles different ways. Personally I am very opposed to it because though I play every event to one degree or another, I am truly only all out interested maybe once every 6 weeks. I don’t want other weeks affecting the one week I want to attack. Money wise or resource wise
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Personally I could care less on the ranked rewards. Only pushed to the top 1k once and realized I don't want to spend that much time/effort to keep doing it so I'll defer to the masses/the powers that be as it won't really impact me. But I'd love to know what I need to start thawing out.

Saying that you could care less means that you do actually care.... The correct term is, “I couldn’t care less” which implies that you do not care. It’s a common example of North American English making no sense.

Actually, whether you use "could" or "couldn't" is a regional thing. They're both intended to mean the same.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭

Saying that you could care less means that you do actually care.... The correct term is, “I couldn’t care less” which implies that you do not care. It’s a common example of North American English making no sense.

Idioms don’t care about logic

People might not have any thought of sarcasm, positive/negative phrase pairs, or implied comparison when they use “I could care less,” but when they use it, it’s as a set idiom, something they’ve heard before and learned as a unit. We have plenty of idioms that serve us perfectly well, despite the gaps in logic that appear if you look at them too closely. Consider “head over heels” (shouldn’t it be heels over head?) or “have your cake and eat it too?” (shouldn’t it be eat your cake and have it too?) or “the exception proves the rule” (shouldn’t it be the exception invalidates the rule?). There are reasons these idioms developed the way they did, but we don’t have to know anything about those reasons, or the original meanings, to use them perfectly sensibly. Same goes for “I could care less,” which people only ever use to mean “I couldn’t care less,” never the opposite. It doesn’t cause legitimate confusion, though it does cause quite a bit of consternation. In any case, it’s here to stay.

Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    PolPol ✭✭✭
    Starting this week, we should get two weeks data in advance for the new reward system to work
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, we know at least that Nog variants are bonus crew. Just not going to be a part of the reward structure.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    KayJay47 wrote: »

Actually, whether you use "could" or "couldn't" is a regional thing. They're both intended to mean the same.

I am firmly in the camp that the correct saying is "couldn't" as was the original saying and the logical meaning. Switching to could is a miss-use that drives me nuts like saying flush our instead of flesh out.

from online grammar site:
    "Regardless of the reason people say they could care less, it is one of the more common language peeves because of its illogical nature. To say you could care less means you have a bit of caring left, which is not what the speakers seem to intend. The proper "couldn’t care less" is still the dominant form in print, but "could care less" has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s."

We may need to have a squad discussion about this one @KayJay47 :-)

To get back to my original question, then nothing has been posted.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time I used to be a student of linguistics, but I'm actually not sure whether I remember enough of that to hold up my end of the discussion... And in any case I agree with you that "I couldn't care less" should be the preferred form. B) But there's no stopping language from evolving... sometimes in unfortunate ways.

I have people at work that literally text the word finna

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <performing a group slap on the last ten posts, just because>

Hey, Mr. Lincoln you have a rich history with my town. You were here to observe the construction of the I & M Canal, you funeral train passed through here, citizens lined the streets at 2:00 AM to lay their respects as it went by. I have a picture of Banjo standing on the very spot you stood as you visited Lockport. And also this one of you petting Banjonaupsdqbzapx.jpeg

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where is the event info for next week? I would be willing to try the new reward system if there was a way for me to get Tuxedo Nog without buying packs. He was the one character I was really looking forward to and now I cant get him without buying packs. And if I buy packs I have no guarantee of getting him and I will get a bunch of super rares I dont need as I can already get them 4/4 in a hybrid faction/galaxy.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Pol wrote: »
    Starting this week, we should get two weeks data in advance for the new reward system to work

Actually on Wednesday, we should get the Gloria (Guinan) stats. I don't think they plan on telling us anything today besides the event type (which we already happen to know) and bonus crew for the upcoming event

Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options

Oh Dirk, you ol' optimist, you!!!
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer
  • Options
    Took all of 5-6 comments for this thread to go off the rails into a battle between Strunk & White!
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took all of 5-6 comments for this thread to go off the rails into a battle between Strunk & White!

That’s cuz we are bored waiting for the event notes but we are hanging around for them

• Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that the other three pictured crew have been more or less confirmed as event crew I'm levelling Author Doctor.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    When has wait and see how it goes -ever- gone good for us ?

When we all rally with pitchforks before they do something less then intelligent they barely listen.

Wait and see just gives them time to dig in.
    "Well our matrix of catnip says that's not actually the case and you do like it, you just didn't realize, you're welcome". Lol

Or
    "Well, now that it's implemented we can't reverse course, if you'd all said something before hand, maybe we could have stopped cyberdine .. but it's formed its own intelligence so.. taa taa ! (Waves)".

This used to be the company that talked with the player base. That card about what we thought and what we wanted to make this more fun. Now they just talk -at-us.
  • Options
    S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Idioms don’t care about logic

People might not have any thought of sarcasm, positive/negative phrase pairs, or implied comparison when they use “I could care less,” but when they use it, it’s as a set idiom, something they’ve heard before and learned as a unit. We have plenty of idioms that serve us perfectly well, despite the gaps in logic that appear if you look at them too closely. Consider “head over heels” (shouldn’t it be heels over head?) or “have your cake and eat it too?” (shouldn’t it be eat your cake and have it too?) or “the exception proves the rule” (shouldn’t it be the exception invalidates the rule?). There are reasons these idioms developed the way they did, but we don’t have to know anything about those reasons, or the original meanings, to use them perfectly sensibly. Same goes for “I could care less,” which people only ever use to mean “I couldn’t care less,” never the opposite. It doesn’t cause legitimate confusion, though it does cause quite a bit of consternation. In any case, it’s here to stay.

Quite a lengthy reply. The saying originated in England. I suspect an American heard it, said it wrong, and it caught on. The actual saying is, “I couldn’t care less”... educate the masses
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Once upon a time I used to be a student of linguistics, but I'm actually not sure whether I remember enough of that to hold up my end of the discussion... And in any case I agree with you that "I couldn't care less" should be the preferred form. B) But there's no stopping language from evolving... sometimes in unfortunate ways.

I have people at work that literally text the word finna

I work with urban elementary students and I hear that all day...linguistic evolution can be very frustrating.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

“have your cake and eat it too?” (shouldn’t it be eat your cake and have it too?) or “the exception proves the rule” (shouldn’t it be the exception invalidates the rule?).

The meaning of this expression is to highlight that someone wants the impossible. They want to both have the cake and eat it at the same time. When the reality is that once it is eaten they can no longer have it

With that in mind the order of the words are pretty meaningless.
  • Options
    So what does "finna" mean then? I've never heard the term.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means going to or will do

• Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

It means going to or will do

Ta. I hate not knowing what a word means. It's obviously not reached this side of the Pond yet. :-)