Home The Bridge
Options

key information about next week?

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    So what does "finna" mean then? I've never heard the term.

It means going to or will do

Ta. I hate not knowing what a word means. It's obviously not reached this side of the Pond yet. :-)

I wouldn’t worry about not knowing this one. You’re only missing out on incorrect English

• Options
    Captain BlighCaptain Bligh ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Ta. I hate not knowing what a word means. It's obviously not reached this side of the Pond yet. :-)

I wouldn’t worry about not knowing this one. You’re only missing out on incorrect English

It's a mashup of the words "fixing to," like "gonna" from "going to." See also, tryna=trying to. Isn't American English great?
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

It's a mashup of the words "fixing to," like "gonna" from "going to." See also, tryna=trying to. Isn't American English great?

That isn't any type of English. At best it is jargon. It can charitably be called slang. It is most appropriately called illiterate devolution of the language. There may once have been a place for such shorthand, but it isn't necessary or cute now.
  • Options
    Captain BlighCaptain Bligh ✭✭
    edited September 2018

That isn't any type of English. At best it is jargon. It can charitably be called slang. It is most appropriately called illiterate devolution of the language. There may once have been a place for such shorthand, but it isn't necessary or cute now.

U mad, bro? Language evolves, deal with it. Why can the word "ain't" be used as three different contractions, "are not," "am not" and "is not?"
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

U mad, bro? Language evolves, deal with it. Why can the word "ain't" be used as three different contractions, "are not," "am not" and "is not?"

I think he was pretty tame in his response. Let’s not have a slap fest over who can describe it best. My point was it’s one thing to say it, it’s another to text it when you have a moment to think about what you’re going to say
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

It's short for "fixing to", correct? As in, "I'm fixin' to do that."

(And don't worry, Chance — it hasn't even hit all of the States yet. I only know about it second-hand from friends who have told me it's a regionalism where they come from.)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options

I think he was pretty tame in his response. Let’s not have a slap fest over who can describe it best. My point was it’s one thing to say it, it’s another to text it when you have a moment to think about what you’re going to say

I'm not tryna (XD) derail the thread, here. Honest. Just seemed like gatekeeping to me. I wonder, in a related vein, if there is a list of Trek jargon, changes to the language in the intervening centuries between today and 23xx AD. On topic, I approve of the change to ranked rewards, especially after DB announced that we would be getting Nog. It never made sense to me that the prize was more useful before you could use it. Hopefully they address the crush of players cramming into the top 1000 sooner rather than later. I advocate a percentage based tier system, like how Arena is handled. LLAP
  • Options
    Some of you should never come visit New Orleans if you get that worked up over language, you'll be likely to commit suicide (or mass homicide). Things like, "I'm finna go da market and make groceries", "Howya ma and dem?", "we gonna go aks dem querstions about da earl in da car...think weneeda earl change", and the like might push you over the edge.

Btw, none of that is a typo, it's phonetic. :D

One of the funniest nights of my life was watching my wife and my dad try to follow the speech in Treme when it first aired! 😂😂
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • Options

I am very hard to anger (except by my daughters who know exactly what buttons to press). Nothing there is said or intended as being upset. I comment for something to do, not because it drives me crazy or any such. Colloquialisms, slang, and jargon, along with ridiculous new words have place in humor and some situations. However, I object to them being called legitimate English or an "evolution" of the language. The English language includes more than enough vocabulary to effectively express your ideas without lazy and illiterate shortcuts. I use some of those shortcuts in some settings, but I never pretend they are equal to proper language. I feel the same about French and Cebuano, in both of which I am fluent, and in as much Spanish as I have learned. Language can be very powerful. Again, I don't object to shortcuts and so forth in appropriate situations or when brevity is key. Nor do I wish to insult anyone who uses such, especially when space is an issue. However, we should agree that they are not proper and should not be regarded as improvements.
  • Options
    I think we would get along fine, Captain Bligh.
  • Options

I'm not tryna (XD) derail the thread, here. Honest. Just seemed like gatekeeping to me. I wonder, in a related vein, if there is a list of Trek jargon, changes to the language in the intervening centuries between today and 23xx AD. On topic, I approve of the change to ranked rewards, especially after DB announced that we would be getting Nog. It never made sense to me that the prize was more useful before you could use it. Hopefully they address the crush of players cramming into the top 1000 sooner rather than later. I advocate a percentage based tier system, like how Arena is handled. LLAP

Sure, for example in the original series, at least in season 1, they called shields screens
  • Options

I am very hard to anger (except by my daughters who know exactly what buttons to press). Nothing there is said or intended as being upset. I comment for something to do, not because it drives me crazy or any such. Colloquialisms, slang, and jargon, along with ridiculous new words have place in humor and some situations. However, I object to them being called legitimate English or an "evolution" of the language. The English language includes more than enough vocabulary to effectively express your ideas without lazy and illiterate shortcuts. I use some of those shortcuts in some settings, but I never pretend they are equal to proper language. I feel the same about French and Cebuano, in both of which I am fluent, and in as much Spanish as I have learned. Language can be very powerful. Again, I don't object to shortcuts and so forth in appropriate situations or when brevity is key. Nor do I wish to insult anyone who uses such, especially when space is an issue. However, we should agree that they are not proper and should not be regarded as improvements.

Objection noted. It seemed to me that the severity and emphatic nature of your comment was indignant, not angry, and my flip comment "U mad, bro?" is only in jest, hence the Twitter slang-iness. I actually agree for the most part and in my opinion the 'word' "bae" should die a whimpering and unnoticed death without a grave marker. You have my compliments on your multi-lingual ability. I am an American morbidly amused by my fellow citizens who are critical of others in our country for whom English is a second language when they themselves can't use the proper "your," "their" or "too" in a sentence, not to mention spelling. *sigh* But, I think that new and compounded words are able to enhance meanings and are their own poetry in the proper perspective.

Lol. :-) Shakespeare was fond of inventing new words (or maybe it was just existing slang that no-one had used in writing before). No doubt many people were outraged at the time. :-)
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m honestly not sure how this thread happened....
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I also am not quite sure how it got derailed but if memory serves this is the second discussion we’ve had on the nature and validity of new English dialects in the last year.
  • Options

Well the original excuse was boredom, right @Banjo1012 ? :D

I also am not quite sure how it got derailed but if memory serves this is the second discussion we’ve had on the nature and validity of new English dialects in the last year.

You are correct...at least twice, maybe more. :o
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the original excuse was boredom, right @Banjo1012 ? :D

You are correct...at least twice, maybe more. :o

Yeah. We were all hovering around The Bridge waiting for the event post. Had to have something to do while we waited right?

• Options

It was my initial comment about Americans saying “I could care less” instead of “I couldn’t care less”... didn’t mean to hijack the thread. Peace!
  • Options

So people have shortened "fixing to" or "fixin ta" down to finna??
  • Options

So people have shortened "fixing to" or "fixin ta" down to finna??

Yes, "fittin' to" as well. :p
  • Options
    So how long will this mega event be?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

4 weeks.

It will seem much longer...
  • Options

4 weeks.

And it's all about holograms? Since it will be October, why not do "dark" versions of crew (i.e. Warship Janeway)? Mirror characters, assimilated characters, etc?
  • Options

4 weeks.

This. So much this!
  • Options
    Besides, I literally have NO hologram characters. What's a captain to do?
  • Options
    Besides, I literally have NO hologram characters. What's a captain to do?

Yellow Alert and 1/4 impulse. Shields up. ;)