Home The Bridge
Options

Detective Data for $25 bucks, still not buying DB bring back the 10$ offer!

Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
I would be all over this offer if it was for $10, but not for $25.
No deal...
DB: Do Better

Comments

• Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    These offers are downright insulting.

Detective Data (although a cool variant) is very dated. He was the second legendary that I acquired and I hardly ever used him.

This crew is nowhere near worth $25 USD. I wouldn't even buy this for $10.
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    ELiL wrote: »
    As long as people buy these offers, they will not get back to 10.

Business as usual for DB - They’d rather sell 1,000 of the $25 offers than 10,000 of the $10.
  • Options
    It’s $34.99 Canadian .......... sorry DB, I don’t think so
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Hopefully they'll listen, but I doubt it. $10 a pop I'd be all over these
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider $15 for this Data. $25 is not happening. I <3 Detective Data, but the card is just not that useful.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Of all the cards they've offered, this is the one I'd be most tempted by. I've wanted this Data for a while (but passed on it in a couple of beholds for cards I've needed more at the time) and he would help quite a bit in the upcoming event. But at this price, it's just a non-starter. I wouldn't buy Burnham or Da Vinci at that price, much less this.

Same here, Detective Data was the 5* in the first event I ever played in, and I've wanted one ever since.

I even mentioned in another thread awhile back asking what it would take for you to spend again, and my answer was "If Detective Data was offered for $10, that'd do it."

Thanks for saving me the money, DB! I'll get him the old-fashioned way some day...
  • Options
    Let's get real, the older crew do not appreciate in value, just because they are sitting in a digital closet collecting dust! Add packs, or dilithium to make it worthwhile!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want another Detective Data, but not at that cost. I bought the Jadzia deal a long time ago. That came with packs, too. This doesn't even have packs.

Amen. At least with packs you have the chance to get some additional value (I got a bunch of extra Sareks from the Klingon Bride Jadzia deal, but honor isn’t the worst thing to accumulate). I didn’t buy all of the $10 deals but I happily did a couple that had crew I really wanted...$25 for the same thing, excepting perhaps crew not released to the premium portal pool, is a complete non-starter.
  • Options
    LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    Sherlock Data - yes. Don’t need the 1,250 chrons that badly to pay £24.

And on that, if the US players are being charged $25 for this offer, why are British players being charged £24 when the exchange rate would put it at £19? A 25% mark-up is questionable.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ljofa wrote: »

And on that, if the US players are being charged $25 for this offer, why are British players being charged £24 when the exchange rate would put it at £19? A 25% mark-up is questionable.

Ask your platform of choice. DB sets the US price and lets the platforms do the conversions, which is why Facebook might be cheaper than Google or Apple, etc. I could be wrong, but I believe you also have 20% VAT included while at least in the US any tax is added to the listed price, so that might explain some if not all of it.
  • Options
    Ooooh.....this hurts....ive wanted detective data since forever and i have yet to get him in a behold...this really hurts.........but...........i.............must............resissssssssst!!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want another Detective Data, but not at that cost. I bought the Jadzia deal a long time ago. That came with packs, too. This doesn't even have packs.

Amen. At least with packs you have the chance to get some additional value (I got a bunch of extra Sareks from the Klingon Bride Jadzia deal, but honor isn’t the worst thing to accumulate). I didn’t buy all of the $10 deals but I happily did a couple that had crew I really wanted...$25 for the same thing, excepting perhaps crew not released to the premium portal pool, is a complete non-starter.

DB, do not cave and add packs. I am happier not spending the money.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh.....this hurts....ive wanted detective data since forever and i have yet to get him in a behold...this really hurts.........but...........i.............must............resissssssssst!!

Don't give in JIL!
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭

He honestly isn't worth it. I understand the appeal from a collector's perspective, but it's likely you will never use him at 1/5 and possibly 2/5.
  • Options
    Won a Detective Data during his first event and have since been fortunate to have three more copies drop, making him useful in voyages. Might have considered immortalizing him for $10, but not $25.

I appreciate how easy DB makes it to not spend money.
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ljofa wrote: »

I believe VAT at 20% accounts for most of this, as somebody already pointed out.

The other issue is the poor exchange rate at present due to Brexit. Apple and most other tech companies adjusted their [semi-fixed] exchange rate a year or two ago (after the referendum result), and it doesn’t always get revisited/adjusted very often.

You might like to investage what Steam are charging, last time I checked that was the cheapest way to obtain packs/deals. They seem to have a more dyanamic exchange rate that isn’t quite as brutal as Apple’s.
  • Options
    The Facebook price seems to be the cheapest in the UK; comes out at £19. I'm not sure how it works but there are probably tax issues at play. Still not worth it though.
  • Options

He honestly isn't worth it. I understand the appeal from a collector's perspective, but it's likely you will never use him at 1/5 and possibly 2/5.

I know but ive always like mysteries and i have every other card from that episode except him...*sigh* oh well maybe in a behold one day
  • Options
    Got home in a portal pull a while back. He's level 70, doesn't even make the cut for shuttles. He gathers dust. Eventually he'll make it to the freezer.
  • Options
    AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    I airlocked Detective Data from a merit behold last week.
  • Options

Business as usual for DB - They’d rather sell 1,000 of the $25 offers than 10,000 of the $10.

Do you have data to back up your assumption, or do you just honestly think any retailer is dumb enough to do that if the sales numbers said they could move 10000 units? This entire game is basically a Ferengi honeypot, they'll do whatever maximizes profit.

Chances are much greater that they've figured out the number of purchases is fairly static at either price, so they go with the higher profit.
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    middlehead wrote: »

Do you have data to back up your assumption, or do you just honestly think any retailer is dumb enough to do that if the sales numbers said they could move 10000 units? This entire game is basically a Ferengi honeypot, they'll do whatever maximizes profit.

Chances are much greater that they've figured out the number of purchases is fairly static at either price, so they go with the higher profit.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they also keep offering people "Sail The Starry Skies" and no one in their right mind would buy that. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they also keep offering people "Sail The Starry Skies" and no one in their right mind would buy that. :)
    Not to mention their recent lay-offs in October 2017 and August 2018 for "restructuring".

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Disruptor-Beam-RVW22238199.htm

But hey sticking to topic, I am pretty sure that most whales will have the card maxed already especially as it is two years old, so who are they aiming this 'deal' at? I am pretty sure that those that are collecting them all probably have him already so that leaves the sharks and dolphins who wouldn't spend such a large amount on a card, no matter how you gloss over it.

Jim
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got home in a portal pull a while back. He's level 70, doesn't even make the cut for shuttles. He gathers dust. Eventually he'll make it to the freezer.

I got a single star for him somewhere a while back and haven’t used him once since finishing all his equipment. I don’t feel like SEC/SCI is an especially strong skill combo for me but I have a 3/5* Klingon Janeway, an immortal Mirror Picard, and an immortal Ruk all well ahead of him plus 8 more primary SEC crew that would still be above him for a SEC/SCI shuttle seat without any SCI at all. Plus, his proficiencies (while not awful) aren’t enough to put him above my 2/5* Gangster Spock for voyages and he’s actually got a worse voyage score than my immortalized Valeris.

More stars would be nice and I am sure he would get use around 3/5* or certainly by 4/5* but $25 to keep him on the bench except for an occasional voyage just isn’t worth it.
  • Options

New players might. That's the other piece that people on here can't seem to accept; some offers just aren't meant for the people that have been here for two years, they need to work on new users too.