Home The Bridge
Options

Does the IAmPicardTool violate the Ts & Cs?

13»

Comments

• Options
    This game is very time consuming and complicated, and the iampicard app is one of the available tools to simplify the game and help make my choices quicker and reduce the huge time sink it can be. Between sending out shuttles, voyages, cadet missions with 2x bonus, arena, gauntlet, adwarps, using some chrons so they don't hit your max, this game can be very time consuming just to play all the basic components, without any thought to crew management, planning needed leveling equipment, and playing events.

It offends me that some people are actively contacting DB because they don't like other users making use of a tool to try and simplify a very complex and time consuming game, before you even consider time commitment for events. It's developed to a point where external tools and resources like this and the wiki are imperative to some people to help manage the monolith that is this game, without it totally taking over our lives.

I've never played a game in my life where I maintained 2 spreadsheets!! to help me manage it, in addition to this app!
  • Options
    DippyDippy ✭✭✭
    Tbh , the tool cuts down on a lot of the tedium of the game. And as it currently stands, this game is becoming boring. The only thing keeping me playing is the fact that i put money into it.

This captures most of my feelings on the subject. The game's user interface has a lot of eye-candy that is interesting the first time or two, but then ultimately seems like a waste of time. If the native user interface had an option to skip animations I would.

While automation to gain a competitive advantage over other players is clearly cheating, the automation that iampicard offers I see as an enhancement to the user experience. I will conceded that it could be leveraged for a small advantage in gauntlet, but the impact is minimal and probably offset by the fact that the tool keeps some players, like myself, playing the gauntlet thus diluting the pool of competition.
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'd say yes by that definition.

It gives anyone using an edge picking possibly a better choice for voyage (better chron rewards, 4-star cards, rep rations, etc.).

I didn't realize it also plays gauntlet rounds for you.

It doesn't automate anything. You have to tell it to do everything. One click = one tap. Anybody can use a Voyage calculation spreadsheet to find the best combo. Anybody can use Gauntlet calculators to find who best to use. You can't ban a spreadsheet.

I'm already riding the fence on quitting this game due to the ABSOLUTELY STUPID AND IDIOTIC change to the event reward structure. Ban or disallow this tool and I'm gone the exact same day. It's the only thing that takes away the tedium of crap like Gauntlet and SORTING THROUGH MY INVENTORY because the inventory management in this game looks like it was programmed by a six year old. It's absolute trash.

The only reason to ban it is out of sheer embarrassment that a fan tool has a better interface than the actual product. The game's interface seems like it was purposefully designed to annoy and anger the player.

tl;dr: The tool is just that. A tool. It doesn't do anything that you can't do with a spreadsheet and just the game. Nothing more. It's just a convenience with a much better interface than the game has.

EDIT: Ok, yes. One click isn't *technically* one tap, but it's one click to an action. One click will select your voyage crew, but the one *action* is starting the voyage. Same with gauntlet or anything else. That's just a quality of life convenience which goes back to the point that the tool simply makes the game less annoying.
  • Options
    DippyDippy ✭✭✭
    it also does what some would consider worse than automating repetitive action, and automates decision making. It always places the highest success gauntlet matchup in the same place, so there is zero though required,

I do agree that the tool automates some tasks, but I have never considered decision making to be one of those tasks. It certainly simplifies decision making by putting the information in an easily accessible format with all of the math worked out, but the match with the highest percent chance of success is not always the best choice. Often I will chose a match with a considerably lower chance of success if the reward is more lucrative.

• Options
    t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    We should take a poll. Either you are Picard, or you will punch Q in the face and tell the world that you are NOT Picard.

I mean it's a complicated issue, even the OPs question. Yes, it is explicitly against the TOS, but it has received special status as oked by DB.

I think it's a great tool, and does things the default client should do itself, and I'm not against it myself, I just think its laughable there is such a double standard around the TOS and what is ok cheating and not ok cheating
  • Options
    So...TL;DR:

Argument 1:
    "let us macro or ban IamPicard; both are equivalent TOS violations"

Argument 2:
    "IamPicard falls on the continuum of automation but doesn't rise to the level of macroing; the two are too dissimilar to compare"

Argument 3:
    "DB knows about IamPicard and has blessed it so, since it's DB's game and rules to define and they're OK with it, there's by definition, no problem with the tool until and unless they choose to change their minds."

...did I miss anything?
This discussion has been closed.