Home The Bridge

"Rabid Fans" mission not doable.

2»

Comments

• {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a pain point but not a bug or something completely unobtainable.

If you've been around that long, you remember the early days of the game, before all the re-balances, where the highest difficulty missions on EP6 and Distress Calls required a 5/5 Drunk Troi Immortalized just to pass with the Empath bonus. That was decidedly evil. This is just a small inconvenience until your voyages return Tommy Gun.

I used 2/4 tommy gun when I cleared it but I think even 1/4 tommy gun can get it with a good roll.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    earthman34 wrote: »
    I've been playing this game for years. I have hundreds of characters immortalized, and many more working their way up...yet apparently none of which can do this stupid mission. Just how many years am I expected to play to complete it, and how much money am I expected to spend? As far as I'm concerned, it IS a bug...or really bad design.

I've been playing for years, barely spent any money, and have 3*'d every mission. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of crew who can crit that node. If you're struggling, then you need to prioritize picking crew for those missions.
  • TaskerTasker ✭✭✭
    Heck, just the other day I finally got the last command node in the Thursday cadet missions. That’s after the better part of 18 months and all 2 stars immortalized. It happens. It’s actually the part that makes the collecting interesting to me, and why I really wish DB would either release new episodes, or allow us to reset the old ones, or add a difficulty level, or all of the above.

I finally critted the node you’re stuck on with Tommy Gun Dixon. That was back in about the third or fourth month I played.
  • [TFA] Celeres[TFA] Celeres ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I've been playing this game for years. I have hundreds of characters immortalized, and many more working their way up...yet apparently none of which can do this stupid mission. Just how many years am I expected to play to complete it, and how much money am I expected to spend? As far as I'm concerned, it IS a bug...or really bad design.

You've been playing for years, but haven't gotten Tommy Gun Dixon yet? He's been around for a long time, and he's been dropping from the portal/voyages for a long time too. So...?

Took me a long time to clear the original-episodes node that only Detective Data could do (and maybe a couple others I didn't have either). Once I got that version of Data (from a free behold, no cash), it was easy-peasy. So, bug or intentional? Answer - Intentional.

It's not like your ability to play the game is limited by whether or not you clear the distress call anytime soon. Just relax. And stop airlocking Tommy Gun.

I’ll just point out that length of time in game certainly improves the odds that a player eventually receives a given card, but it’s no guarantee. You’re overstating the certainty that the portal will always cough up the goods. Case in point: I’ve played this game since 4 months after launch, and guess what? I’ve never gotten a Tommy Gun Dixon. I have 325 other unique cards immortalized, but shocker, there some that I just don’t have yet. Virtually all non-whale players will be missing a few cards like these.

Fortunately, in this case, it didn’t hurt me any. (Doctor LaForge to the rescue.) I have all the missions in game 3*— with the introduction of starbase and collection bonuses especially, there are thankfully many more paths available when it comes to knocking out tricky nodes.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • I did this with 2/4/100/FE Tommy Gun Dixon and it only took a few tries. It was my very last star on the entire map.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • ST_DreadnoughtST_Dreadnought ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    "Rabid Fans is part of Distress Calls/Celestial Temple. There is a lock on a node with a Security requirement for "Investigator". The only character I have with "Investigator" and reasonably high Security is three-star Odo, he's 586 with my bonuses, and a proficiency roll of 28-89 with a 188 bonus for Investigator. While he does the mission, on Epic difficulty, there is no way to get the reward, because it's mathematically impossible to reach the required number. Bug or intentional?

Dixon Hill/Tommy Gun Dixon can clear it
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I believe I got it with Tommy Gun.

Personally, the "Serious Business" one is one of three I'm still missing. I just don't have a security pilot high enough to crit it, though I can pass every time.

I did that one with Mirror Archer

He would surely work on Normal and maybe Elite but not Epic. Epic requires a 4/5* Aviator Yar, a 1/5* Ushaan Archer, an FF EV Suit Archer, maybe a 1/5* Joachim, an FF Lt. Ash Tyler, maybe an FF Anbo-jyutsu Riker, or an FF Undercover Sulu.

You only need Aviator Yar as a 1/5 ... she's gets the Maverick bonus ... 848+215 (1063) is her minimum role without Starbase bonuses ... for me now it would be 956+215 (1171) ... that's an easy pass/crit.
    I passed it with Yar back in the day without Starbase bonuses.

FF Lt. Ash is a straight up minimum 994 (without Starbase) or, for me, 1125 with Starbase.

Anbo Riker also has the Maverick trait ... so he should be able to pass it ... 867+215 (no Starbase) , but with a lower potential max compared to Yar. I don't have him FF (only 1/4).

--> for certainty go Aviator Yar 1/5 because she has a great SEC proficiency roll and can easily pass that node seeing she has the Maverick bonus too.

ps - the Rabid Fans node is the only star I'm missing, don't have Detective Data and my Tommy Gun is only 1/4 ... they're the first crew I'm picking if they ever come up in a behold! :)

EDIT: Just passed it! A 1/4 Tommy Gun Dixon works! Rolled a 274 ... 707+188(+274) = success.
    Starbase SEC bonus: 14% on base and 9% on proficiency roll.
    Other crew FF Thelin and a FF Mirror Phlox.

Thanks to @{DD} Smelly (recruiting4lvl115sb) above for the inspiration to give it a go.

Good call, I forgot about the Maverick bonus. And congrats on clearing Rabid Fans with a 1/4* Dixon!
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, just noticed, new crew to do this mission. Incognito Kirk. Looks like anybody's who been around for the last month can finally put this mission behind us.
  • Yeah, :D that was the only mission i needed to clear for a long time too (I feel you Bro).

Tommy Gun Dixon Hill - as most mentioned is the way i beat it.

Detective Data even 1/5 can beat it too.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • I just tried the new Kirk we got and he can hit it now problem.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Rabid Fans is part of Distress Calls/Celestial Temple. There is a lock on a node with a Security requirement for "Investigator". The only character I have with "Investigator" and reasonably high Security is three-star Odo, he's 586 with my bonuses, and a proficiency roll of 28-89 with a 188 bonus for Investigator. While he does the mission, on Epic difficulty, there is no way to get the reward, because it's mathematically impossible to reach the required number. Bug or intentional?
    You just don’t have a character that can crit the node. That’s not a bug.

This. Once you have an Odo with higher Stats or another Investigator with Stats, you can do it.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Traits

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Category:Investigator
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

It's surprising that you've been playing that long, with hundreds immortalized but don't have Tommy Gun Dixon... he's the one you want for this mission for sure
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »

It's surprising that you've been playing that long, with hundreds immortalized but don't have Tommy Gun Dixon... he's the one you want for this mission for sure

And a free copy is available in Mission Nine.........
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • It is doable. You just have to wait until you have one of the few characters that can meet that specific threshold. It is not a bug or glitch, nor are you entitled to any character that can pass it. Keep at it and when you earn one of those toons, the mission will still be there waiting for you.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...