Home The Bridge

Bashir IS AN AUGMENT!!!

2»

Comments

• Data1001 wrote: »
    That's a really good point, furyd. So when you and I make our own Star Trek game, we'll do it right. o:)

I've actually considered doing just that, possibly in 18-24 months time, depending on personal circumstances, I'll do some groundwork and revisit the idea. The CBS licensing site might even have binned the Flash by then.

Biggest problem is going to be the image licensing, the Trek licence can be one to print money, however by the time everyone has had their cut I imagine the margins don't look that healthy!
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    furyd wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    That's a really good point, furyd. So when you and I make our own Star Trek game, we'll do it right. o:)

I've actually considered doing just that, possibly in 18-24 months time, depending on personal circumstances, I'll do some groundwork and revisit the idea. The CBS licensing site might even have binned the Flash by then.

Biggest problem is going to be the image licensing, the Trek licence can be one to print money, however by the time everyone has had their cut I imagine the margins don't look that healthy!

You'd also have another new ST game to compete with. Star Trek Fleet Command is in pre-registration now — from the same company behind The Walking Dead: Road To Survival. (Edit: Oh, but I neglected to mention that the game will only feature the Kelvin timeline versions of the characters, at least to start with.)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    furyd wrote: »
    This is all down to DB screwing up the concept of traits from the get go.

There should Species, Affiliation and Traits

So Bashir would be:

Species: Human, Augment
    Affiliation: Federation, Starfleet
    Traits: Engineered, Physician, yadda, yadda

Whereas Augment Picard would be:

Species: Human, Augment
    Affiliation: Augment
    Traits: Yadda, yadda, yadda.

But DB opted to pile everything together and so confusion reigns.

I don't know if I'd consider Augment its own species class though...
    And while I like the idea of affiliation, it has limits. What affiliation or species could be put for a character like Captain Okona? He has no species traits in-game, nor does he have any affiliations with institutions or factions, unless Civilian would be an affiliation. It'd be quite odd to see a character card be:

Captain Thadiun Okona
    Species:
    Affiliation:
    Traits: Romantic, Scoundrel, Jury Rigger, etc.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • I don't know if I'd consider Augment its own species class though...
    And while I like the idea of affiliation, it has limits. What affiliation or species could be put for a character like Captain Okona? He has no species traits in-game, nor does he have any affiliations with institutions or factions, unless Civilian would be an affiliation. It'd be quite odd to see a character card be:

Captain Thadiun Okona
    Species:
    Affiliation:
    Traits: Romantic, Scoundrel, Jury Rigger, etc.

Going off Memory Beta, he'd probably have a species of Humanoid, and Affiliations of Coalition of Madena and, possibly, Starfleet as affiliation isn't necessarily the same as membership. I'm not saying sorting out all the various pieces of data would be really easy, but it would remove the current confusion with traits and be easier.

As for Augment not being species, I think it would count. They're distinct from the rest of their parent species, enough that they should be treated like cross-species, like Spock, who is really neither Human nor Vulcan, but you'd give him both Species out of simplicity.
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    You'd also have another new ST game to compete with. Star Trek Fleet Command is in pre-registration now — from the same company behind The Walking Dead: Road To Survival. (Edit: Oh, but I neglected to mention that the game will only feature the Kelvin timeline versions of the characters, at least to start with.)

I'll have to take a look at that.

My idea is just a flight of fancy right now, but what I have in mind the actual logic isn't that complex, I could knock out an API over a long weekend, it's the legal side, platform-specific code, graphics, etc, etc. that concerns me.

Hopefully I'll have a bit of time after next year to weigh up if I could do it, if it'd be worth it, and if I should do it.