Home The Bridge

How much will new offers increase pay-to-win on Faction events?

Special offers available in the portal today:
  • For $33.99 CAD - 10 shuttle rentals, 25 varied time boost cards, 500 dilithium (max. 1 purchase)
  • For $12.99 CAD - 15 shuttle rentals, 15 varied 9-hour reward boost cards (max. 5 purchases)
  • For $12.99 CAD - 10 shuttle rentals, 10 3-hour reward boost cards (max. 5 purchases)

I'm sure these are going to make first place more expensive, but I'm really curious to see to what degree they make top-1000 more difficult to attain.

I don't feel like they're a good investment, and as a result my suspicion is that I'm no longer going to be able to place top-1000 whenever I wish in the faction events; I'll have to pick and choose.

I'm not really complaining - I don't begrudge DB their money - but if I'm right a lot of players will change their strategies.

Comments

• Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put, without hard core addict level gaming for 96 hours, established good crew, and out of game timers, you can no longer rank top 1000 free to play.

I think this will push the new top 1000 rank to 380-400k vp within 2 or 3 events.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Kind of makes it official, if you want to play and rank in top 1K in shuttle events, you must spend money. Not saying good or bad, just sayin...........

y15oraigzkpj.png
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • I am interested to see what happens. I've been able to easily rank top 1000 for a while without much effort. I don't plan on buying any of these offers, but I might need to be a bit more diligent about sending shuttles regularly.
  • Same here @[SJ] Admiral Aki . I can easily make top 300 in faction events with a kick start. I do not even use time boosts outside the kickstart; and often no skill boosts either given AND-gate/OR-gate/RNG-gate.

I am going to try my usual strategy this time and see what happens. Maybe most ppl wont have the crew to make much of a difference. Maybe I will fail to make it to 1000. I am ok either way. If I don't make it to 1000, that's just the new normal. I am not doing P2W. At least it saves me from accumulating 1/5s that are mostly useless. And I can get better sleep during faction events :p
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I think it will make Top25 more „expensive“ ( still the option to save time boosts and tokens over a longer periode for a certain faction event and cash all in, without having to spend anything).

I don t think it will affect Top 1000 much. But i can tell for sure, after 1-2 Factions, since 2/3 of my toons toons are monthly card only and never spend on boost packs or anything, and they always made top1000 past faction events.

Btw even without the new introduced tokens and boosts, this event would have been harder than usual, since i assume many want a Spock.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • jestergeniejestergenie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    #nomoneyfordb

No money for DB before, certainly no money now. So simple philosophy and the only one which guarantees mental comfort. :p
  • FlayFlay ✭✭✭
    I don't think much will change for the people who compete for the top spots - paying for instant shuttle returns was always possible, so still pay-to-win as always.

However, for the newer players, who are very under-represented on the forum, the new rewards and rental shuttles (remember, they also drop from the threshold and can be hoarded) mean more tactical possibilities, they can decide if using those additional rewards is worth it.

Unlike the threshold crew from recent weeks, Penk is a very powerful character as far as super rares go, both voyage and arena stats are really good - so this event would be a good example for one to go all-in, even as a newbie!
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
  • muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Rather sad. It was nice when the F2P and monthly days early on you could rank under 1k and get a 5*. Gave you something to strive for, gave you a reward and sense of accomplishment when you could get there.

Now that's just gone. There's no more progress, no more pretense. If a new player comes in today, it's flat out pay to win. If I started in that environment, I know I would have left quickly. And I doubt I'm unique there. I think this structure today is VERY unfriendly towards growing the population.

I disagree. I'm fairly new - about 6 months. I don't try to hit the top 1k but there is plenty of progress to be made for me. There are hundreds of crew I don't have which I earn during voyages and events that I quit at threshold. Shuttle events I often don't make threshold but I still get some new crew. I'm not getting 5*'s necessarily but I still get a few from time to time and I have a lot of purples needing to get fused. I get a lot of enjoyment out of the game without having to be in the upper echelon.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte wrote: »
    The best bet for F2P is to save the boosts and shuttle requisitions for a time when you can win. The problem is that if you waste the boosts every week, just to place 2 or 3 thousand, you will not have any left to actually win something. If F2P save up the boosts and packs they get, then use them all in on one event, it should still provide a solid rank.

By skipping a few events you should easily be able to play a few hundred 90 minute time reductions, which can amount to huge points.

Keep in mind also, the game cannot continue to run and develop new content on F2P, seems like a pretty good trade off to me to play a game 100% free and the only downside is that you cannot get the gold star every week.

Fully agree. And it not goes only for F2P. Everyone has to pick the right "battles" cause of resource management and to have the right reserves in the "tank". In advance I would have liked this version of Spock as well. But the stats are so yesterday, the card would mainly collect virtual dust. So I use this event to simply build up further reserves for another day. When I attack an event, like you said, I build up time reductions boosts etc. for weeks - or longer.

Also agree with the rest. Compared to monster hits like Fortnite, Candy Crush etc. this game has a limited userbase. And of this limited userbase many are F2P or monthly card only. With only that kind of revenue coming in not only would we not get new features anymore, STT would long be on the spaceship graveyard by now. And as you say: With no or tiny spendings you simply cannot expect the "jackpot" each and every week. And those who keep the servers running obviously deserve certain advantages...

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do not think it will change things much. Might change the ranki a bit of people in top 300 but otherwise not do much. Extra shuttles are only much good if people have very good crew to staff them.
    Let’s fly!
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I think the recent changes represent a blatant cash-grab by DB, as opposed to actually trying to improve the gaming experience for players. Having said that, I'm not sure how much more difficult it will be to finish top-1000 in a faction event. I don't think these new offers are very attractive.

I normally do my kickstart (11 x 3* speed boosts & 2 x 4* speed boosts) and then set my alarm to repeat every 3 hours for 4 days, day and night. I don't use any other speed boosts, and have never used dil during a faction event. Unless I miss some waves of shuttles, I usually finish in the 300-600 range. I'm going to see how I do with the same approach this event, even saving my stash of rental shuttles (14 from faction achievements + whatever we get from event thresholds).

I'm currently sitting around 1600, with my first standard wave of 3-hour shuttles (4 @ 3,500 points) an hour away from returning. That's about what I would expect... I'll report back in after the event with my 2 cents about the impact of the additions/changes to shuttle missions.
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    And those who keep the servers running obviously deserve certain advantages...

It depends on what kind of advantages you're talking about. Some are quite neutral on other player's goodwill, some aren't. When you pay for a first class plane ticket you're certainly not getting there faster but you have better accommodation and the food is better. And people still pay for that.
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sheer amount of cash offers I logged into today tells me Hearthstone is getting closer and closer to replacing Timelines for my attention.

Whether or not it affects rank is something I feel Admiral Patrick would be the best person to ask.
  • You've got to hand it to DB, they certainly picked the right event to introduce their new rental shuttles. A new event strategy coupled with a much loved and wanted 5* means there will be a lot of players will spend more on this event than they will in future faction events.

Part of me thinks that I should just accept that I will not make top 1000 in this event (I have completed the quick start and have my usual stash of time reducers); put part of me is also concerned that the time I've invested in this game developing a really good core of crew so that I can compete in faction events, is now for nought.

I don't want to throw my toys out of the pram just yet, but my success on this event and maybe the next faction event (one presumably without a much wanted character) will make me evaluate if I continue to play this game for much longer.

+1

Let's wait and see how much of an impact this actually has on ranking. It's perfectly possible that it will only affect the players in the top 25 or 50 or 100.

That being said, it took me two years (one of which as an f2p player) to get to a point where I can rank in the 1k with an acceptable effort and little or no extra investment and it's already become more competitive due to the new ranked rewards system. I really hope this change won't have the impact that some of you expect.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a slow start, I was an hour late starting the event due to RL issues but using an assortment of 3* boosts Im back up to ca ~500. It can be done, and I was expecting the scores to go more quickly if Im honest. Still, early days I guess.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • i don't know how much the whales spend on these bonus packs. But if you willing to spend a lot of money to push for the top places, then you have more possibilities now. And i don't like it. ;)
    "I am First Omet'iklan and i'm dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember: victory is life"

VIP-Level: 14
    Fleet: [GER]StarFleet
    Immortals total: 437; 23 Legendaries; 257 Super Rare; 79 Rare; 51 Uncommon; 27 Common

Collections: Rare; Uncommen; Common; Live Long and Prosper; Do no Harm; Chain of Command; The neutral Zone; Valor in Combat; The Daystrom Award; The Eugenic Wars; Rules of Aquisition
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I think the pay to win element is more pressing for top25 tham for top1000. Some people will spend tokens for extra shuttles, but those can still fail.

I usually do well in factions but I can't get a 5th shuttle comfortably above 80%
  • HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte wrote: »
    I don't think this is as bad as yall make it seem. The best bet for F2P is to save the boosts and shuttle requisitions for a time when you can win. The problem is that if you waste the boosts every week, just to place 2 or 3 thousand, you will not have any left to actually win something. If F2P save up the boosts and packs they get, then use them all in on one event, it should still provide a solid rank.

By skipping a few events you should easily be able to play a few hundred 90 minute time reductions, which can amount to huge points.

Keep in mind also, the game cannot continue to run and develop new content on F2P, seems like a pretty good trade off to me to play a game 100% free and the only downside is that you cannot get the gold star every week.

I agree. This will only change how to play for F2P (like me). For a few weeks there is very little chance to get above 1K spot, but that is not necessarily bad. This will get you some merits, one 3/4 character and some other stuff but not gold. Gives you more time to develop crew you already have. Actually that is good as I already have lot 1/5 golds that need honor.

And one carefully chosen weekend with many accumulated time reductions F2P can compete with P2P.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, after first day I’m not seeing the apocalypse or expected bloodbath happening from my ranking position. I’ve used 4 or 5 of the “free” rentals and the usual slate of Thursday cadet time doublers but it hasn’t made much of a difference. I’ve only gone from “in the top 1000” to “easily on the top 1000”. But I can easily ascribe the better performance to:

- having focused on leveling up bonus crew (biggest factor)
    - Happening to be on vacation this week, so discipline in timing and not trying to kickstart in the middle of a workday
    - Avoiding factions with “poison pill” (for my crew) missions

I can see this maybe making a big difference for the top 25, some difference for events with lots of bonus crew, and maybe for play if the new TBD ranked rewards put thresholds for things of substantial value outside the 1-25 and 1000 marks.

A solid and purposefully cultivated bench still seems a huge win factor...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, after first day I’m not seeing the apocalypse or expected bloodbath happening from my ranking position. I’ve used 4 or 5 of the “free” rentals and the usual slate of Thursday cadet time doublers but it hasn’t made much of a difference. I’ve only gone from “in the top 1000” to “easily on the top 1000”. But I can easily ascribe the better performance to:

- having focused on leveling up bonus crew (biggest factor)
    - Happening to be on vacation this week, so discipline in timing and not trying to kickstart in the middle of a workday
    - Avoiding factions with “poison pill” (for my crew) missions

I can see this maybe making a big difference for the top 25, some difference for events with lots of bonus crew, and maybe for play if the new TBD ranked rewards put thresholds for things of substantial value outside the 1-25 and 1000 marks.

A solid and purposefully cultivated bench still seems a huge win factor...

Agreed on wondering where the bloodbath went...I burned through every shuttle requisition token, 4* time boost, and 5* time boost I had in the fear that 2000 other people were doing the exact same thing and am still somehow in the top 150. I can’t imagine that will last but still...I’ve never been this highly ranked for this long.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anything, higher rankings this event will be driven by the 5* Spock reward and the 10-pull in threshold rewards.