Home The Bridge
Options

Hidden Diabolical Layer in Skirmish/Galaxy Hybrid Format

Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
It just occurred to me that there is a diabolical element to this new skirmish/galaxy hybrid format, and I really want to congratulate DB in advance for coming up with it, because the results will be fascinating to observe!

Phase 1 is skirmishes, which most people seem to love. True, there are a few crankypants among us who seem to hate the format, but by-and-large most people seem to at the very least recognize how valuable they are, and look forward to them (I mean seriously, you get valuable bonuses after each success AND you can spend a pittance of dilithium to get MORE rewards, what's not to love?!). As such, even with the U.S. players celebrating Thanksgiving, I suspect phase 1 will be well-received and scores to be high, because skirmishes are absolutely worth doing, and doing well.

Which is why having the galaxy portion in phase 2 is such genius by DB, because of the shared community rewards. Assuming a decent percentage of players decide to go threshold and out for this event, and assuming most of those people will be smart about it and go for threshold during phase 1 for those sweet, sweet between round bonuses, how many people will still be really going hard in phase 2? It seems at least reasonably likely the the max community reward for phase 2 is not nearly as guaranteed to trigger this time as it usually is, which will be very interesting to track this weekend. Is it an inevitable outcome that we hit that top community reward no matter what? Will we fall well off the required pace as interest in the galaxy portion wanes? Will this lead to an artificial push during the late stages of phase 2 to try for the community rewards?

I can't wait to see what happens!

Comments

• Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ... it has been a while since we didn't hit all the community rewards.

I for one hope we do, those 10x packs are crucial for me to upgrade my crew ... be it via Honor, 4*s or 5*s.

Not in a Thanksgiving-zone (thankfully) ... I'll see how it goes ... if the new 5* (Layna) would be handy for the event the week after I might see if I try to squeak into top 1000 ... examples would be a faction event with few bonus crew or an event where I still need a couple of copies of the "old" 4*.

If not, I'll put in some effort, but not much. This means stay top 3000 to at least have some chance at adding stars to crew.
  • Options
    There is always the chance that people outside of the US will go all out on phase 2 because of the possibility that they might make a top X milestone (I for example mulled the possibility of a top 25 finish).

I agree, It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    This format could allow people to take it easy or completely skip phase-1 (to enjoy US Thanksgiving or for any other reason), then go hard in phase-2.

Personally, I'm looking forward to dropping a supply kit tonight, clearing thresholds, then having a relaxing weekend. Of course I won't forget to craft at least one recipe, but with Burnham immortalized and little desire to burn chrons for the 5*, I don't have a ton of motivation. Having said that, if I notice that it is a slow weekend and I could sneak into the top-1000 at a discounted rate, I may change my mind...
  • Options
    By the title, I thought you were going to mention that it is diabolical to set it up to go all out in Skirmish to obtain mega-chrons to burn in galaxy portion.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    By the title, I thought you were going to mention that it is diabolical to set it up to go all out in Skirmish to obtain mega-chrons to burn in galaxy portion.

Same here actually. DB giveth with one hand...
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I think we'll hit the community portal easily enough. Skirmish generates a lot of points, and even US players will put in some work on Friday. Not sure where I'll rank after skirmish (I will be playing that phase reasonably hard, so I might do well early on), but I won't be keeping anyone from earning Layna. Have at it, friends!

Edit: apparently, my brain wasn't on yet when I typed this. Skirmish doesn't count (duh!), so... yeah, it should be very interesting to see how phase 2 plays out.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also just want to make the top 2500 to FF Burnham. Hopefully I can go hard enough in the Skirmish portion to do that without having to burn too many resources in the Galaxy half.
  • Options
    I also just want to make the top 2500 to FF Burnham. Hopefully I can go hard enough in the Skirmish portion to do that without having to burn too many resources in the Galaxy half.

In the same boat w/ Burnham. Except I HATE Skirmishes. Rewards are great and all, but the gameplay just isn't enjoyable enough. Did enough to threshold out while the turkey is cooking, and any extra work I'll happily wait for the Galaxy portion.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Options
    When I clicked on this, I thought it was going to be about the OTHER diabolical layer...

Phase 1 is Skirmish. You get lots of rewards in a skirmish, including chrons. Which is great, because you need chrons in Phase 2 for Galaxy.

But to get more Intel, you have to (mostly) spend chrons. So, do you go full-out in Skirmish, using the chrons you get to make more Intel and make more VPs (and more chrons), or do you bank all the chrons you get, and hope the natural Intel generation over time is enough to get a big bank of chrons for the Galaxy phase?
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or do you use the chrons to farm items for galaxy, doing ship missions so you gain intel as well?
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    The people at the top who want to win will carry everyone. There's no way we won't hit community rewards and it'll probably be day 1 too.
  • Options
    The thing is, with this format, phase 2 participation is some what easy if you play phase 1 correctly. By that I mean, one could use phase 1 to farm items for phase 2. If you do that then participation in phase 2 would be higher since you don’t need to spend as many chronitons as you would normally and build many items generating points for the community thresholds.
  • Options
    The thing is, with this format, phase 2 participation is some what easy if you play phase 1 correctly. By that I mean, one could use phase 1 to farm items for phase 2. If you do that then participation in phase 2 would be higher since you don’t need to spend as many chronitons as you would normally and build many items generating points for the community thresholds.

Any idea which missions are best to farm for that?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Im threshold and our as...i dont even remember who the ranked legendary is, however i may actually get alot of my points from phase 2 because of Thanksgiving and how busy i am. But its still up in the air.
  • Options
    I have all the threshold rewards already in phase 1, but I'm not playing phase 2 because I'm OUT OF CHRONS having received 76 TOTAL in the entire set of all skirmishes. I get 6000 VP each run. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    Depending on where I'm ranked at the end of phase 1, I may or may not go for 1K. The desire for the community rewards, for me, only extends to getting the 4th copy of Pabst. I don't care if we get a community reward pull or not. I only have Burnham 1/4 so I only need to get high enough to get three copies of her. So i only need to be top 2K. I'm only going to do the second phase just enough to ensure that. But like I said, if scores are low and I'm cruising along, I'll pull top 1K, just so I can airlock stuff for the extra honor.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Chief Eud{DD}rickChief Eud{DD}rick ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    easypeasy wrote: »

Yep...There's even a list generated by one of my Fleeties however, you have to be in our fleet to see it. Sorry.

"Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig" Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love, R.A. Heinlein
  • Options
    Uggh. I've been grinding hard in phase 1 hoping to get far enough ahead that I can coast to an easy top 2500 and FF Burnham too. Based on the comments above, there's a lot of us in the same boat. Good luck everyone! May the best grinder win!! :)
  • Options
    easypeasy wrote: »

This is a spreadsheet of items, missions, etc. that can be found here in the forums

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KiRTr3ri6BQBIdOVgKbckqA2iQu_hgWoIS3pPYLmDog/edit#gid=1375355394

Thanks very much!
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice Man wrote: »
    I have all the threshold rewards already in phase 1, but I'm not playing phase 2 because I'm OUT OF CHRONS having received 76 TOTAL in the entire set of all skirmishes. I get 6000 VP each run. What am I doing wrong?

I would guess that you failed to offer the appropriate sacrifice to the RNG deities, and you are being punished accordingly. :'( But seriously, that's incredibly bad luck. (FWIW, it doesn't matter how many points you're getting - just that you are picking the reward option each time instead of the hull repair option.)
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    you made a lot of interesting points that I didnt even consider. So does that mean the points from phase one do not count for the community reward? was not sure if they carried over..

Either way I think that phase 2 might surprise you. I think because the Legendary is not a high demand card, that many people might see it as an easy win, and people who usually do not compete for higher ranks might;)

Cant wait to see hehe
  • Options
    DeanWins wrote: »
    you made a lot of interesting points that I didnt even consider. So does that mean the points from phase one do not count for the community reward? was not sure if they carried over..
    Community rewards counters started during phase 2, so I'm assuming that will be the case this week.
    DeanWins wrote: »
    Either way I think that phase 2 might surprise you. I think because the Legendary is not a high demand card, that many people might see it as an easy win, and people who usually do not compete for higher ranks might;)

Had a similar thought. Even considered it myself, but too busy and want to save my chron stashbtor later. The other thing I keep in mind is that this forum is but a small subset of all players, there will all ways be a certain level of competition for 1k.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Phase 2 has been going for two hours so far and we JUST hit 1/3 of the way toward the FIRST community reward! It seems that at this pace we will hit the 1,000,000,000 community grand prize, but just barely!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    UPDATE: 4 hours into phase 2, still over 100,000,000 away from the FIRST community reward!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    9.5 hours into phase 2, still only 423,000,000. This is so interesting! I'm no longer certain we will hit the 1,000,000,000!
  • Options
    It's been slowly but steady. Im amazed my rank hasn't slipped more, holding steady in the 800s. A great opportunity for anyone who wants to go all in!
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    It's been slowly but steady. Im amazed my rank hasn't slipped more, holding steady in the 800s. A great opportunity for anyone who wants to go all in!

This is nuts, it has only gone up 4,000,000 in an hour! I completely agree, as things stands now this is a really great chance to just go for it and see what happens!