Home Strange New Worlds
Options

I Just Watched Discovery

I signed up for the free trial of CBS all access Thanksgiving weekend. I wanted to give Discovery a chance.

In short: I liked it.

Yes, the Klingons looked odd. Yes, the tech was too high-tech. Yes, they inappropriately and needlessly inserted the F-word. But it is still worthwhile and good for watching.

I think people get caught-up with the style difference between shows. This one has an over-arching story line and a main character to follow. These are modern story structures and don't affect the Trek-ness of Discovery.

Discovery still holds the basic Trek ideals. When a character goes against the ideals, that character discovers how bad it is and how good the ideals are. That's actually the point of the season storyline.

I liked it, but still like Enterprise and DS9 better. (Though I feel it fair to say it is better than Voyager.)

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S.

DB spat out a huge load of libel and slander against Burnham with that event where she was the Fun Sponge.
  • Options
    Oh, and Discovery is ok. Hopefully season two will be better. I liked it in parts. There were a few things that really irked me.
    Spore drive which made things with the plot a little too convenient, the episode where Saru has tinnitus and gets possessed by the planet, Burnham’s pithy speech at the end. Limited character development outside of Burnham, Lorca, Tilly, and Emperor Georgiou.
  • Options
    IMHO - Discovery is a good show. Only issue is the Klingons STINK (they turned them into Orcs from Lord of the Rings), ship of the dead was cool, but don't like any of the Klingon's other ships either, major screw-up on the series bad guys. They are working on fixing that.

71pfjzew8yzi.jpg

Crew is all interesting, i liked Lorca a lot, Burnham is good, Paul Staments & Tilly are both enjoyable.
  • Options
    Better than voyager ? Try to convince my why. I liked disco myself, it was quite good, but better than voyager ? How dare you! Voyager is better. Try to convince me otherwise.
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    gobolts07 wrote: »
    How dare you speak poorly of the series that gave us gems such as Threshold and Fair Haven? How dare you, sir? How dare you???

Look, I like Voyager probably more than the next guy, and Janeway is without question my favorite captain, but Voyager as a show was kind of bad. The cast was really good, the characters (for the most part) were excellent, but man the writing was just boring. There was SO MUCH POTENTIAL for that show, but by season 2 it was already a generic Starfleet show, complete with symposiums, diplomatic missions, etc. I think once it went away from the Maquis vs Starfleet and again away from the struggle to survive, it got very bland. Plus the later seasons were bogged down with insufferable doctor-centric episodes.

As for Discovery, I've never seen it, although I've read a few articles of late that makes me wonder if it will survive. Apparently and allegedly the producers got lazy and straight up stole the plot from a video game, and that video game's creator is in the process of suing. For that reason alone, I'm not sure at this point it makes sense to invest myself emotionally.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I was Ok with Disco the first time around but appreciated it more in re-watch, and decided that it's much better viewed in Netflix-style binge mode than a week at a time. The constant contortions of the plot over the course of the season actually kind of hang together a bit when viewed all at once. And in fairness, I don't think it's any worse than (and possibly much better than) any other season 1 post-TOS. Just my 2 dil.

However, the McGuffin Drive and all plotlines associated with it must go.

I'll save my Voyager exigesis (it being my favorite series), as I know I'm in a minority and will never win that debate!
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discovery is excellent.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sort of like Discovery. It could be much, much better though.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the plot twists of season 1, but could pass on the TV-MA stuff. Looking forward to season 2. Favorite episode so far? "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad."
  • Options
    AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    DS9 is the most realistic Trek. Discovery is simply a different IP.
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    Better than voyager ? Try to convince my why. I liked disco myself, it was quite good, but better than voyager ? How dare you! Voyager is better. Try to convince me otherwise.

Yah he lost me, and any credibility with better then voyager line lol
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

I'll save my Voyager exigesis (it being my favorite series), as I know I'm in a minority and will never win that debate!

It's my favorite too, which may have something to do with the fact that it's also the first one I watched. Or maybe, as ByloBand wrote, the characters were really good, I don't know. But I never found the main characters of any of the other ST series as interesting as the ones in Voyager, Discovery included. And I'm one of those who really liked season 1 of Disco.

• Options
    Voyager and DS9 are without question the best shows. I like them for different reasons, and I vary from day to day as to which I prefer. Janeway and Sisko are both incredible Captains, for different reasons.

Discovery is a totally different ball-game. I was actually on the edge of my seat for some of those episodes, and while I didn't like Burnham and there wasn't enough character development for the rest of the crew, the story was excellent. The Klingons were awful though, really awful.

Data is my favourite character, and The Wrath of Khan my favourite movie, by a long way. And I really enjoyed Enterprise, thought it was clever and interesting and could have gone much further given a chance.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my favorite too, which may have something to do with the fact that it's also the first one I watched. Or maybe, as ByloBand wrote, the characters were really good, I don't know. But I never found the main characters of any of the other ST series as interesting as the ones in Voyager, Discovery included. And I'm one of those who really liked season 1 of Disco.

Yeah, Janeway is awesome, Chakotay was cool until he traded in his Maquis credentials for archaelogoy, Paris was always interesting, Torres and Seven were well developed, and the holo doc was great until he started singing operas.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I signed up for the free trial of CBS all access Thanksgiving weekend. I wanted to give Discovery a chance.

I think people get caught-up with the style difference between shows.

Discovery still holds the basic Trek ideals. When a character goes against the ideals, that character discovers how bad it is and how good the ideals are. That's actually the point of the season storyline.

This highlights the issue I have with the show, the style is different but that's the issue it divorces from what Trek is. Trek is about thought provoking science fiction and if I wanted/felt like watching a mindless soap then over to Star Wars I would go. Discovery is turning more into a Space soap opera, than a science fiction series.

I have been meaning to compile the issues I have with the show for a while, this post has jolted me, thank you. And I will try and keep this spoiler free, no promises.

The going against ideals is an underlying trope in Star Trek but the moment trope becomes integral to the plot/story line of an entire season that makes a weak series of stories IMHO - because there is nothing else that provides any depth to the story.

The spore drive is perhaps the only thing that provided something interesting but I don't think it's concept was expounded upon enough and I personally felt that introducing something like that in the early Federation years was a tad bit risky.

The Klingon War was not capitalised on enough we could have got far more detail on the Klingon houses, gone into the history of the Klingons more. I felt there were a lot of missed opportunities and led to a rather anticlimactic bizzare conclusion.

I am sure the spore drive can or will be expounded upon and hopeful that there will also be more depth to the Klingons but time will tell on this.

One can even argue that focusing centrally on one character itself goes against the Trek ideal - there was always a balance in the other shows, for me Discovery didn't provide this, and perhaps this intensity leaves the audience gasping for any character who isn't Michael Burnham.

Throw in a bit of Mirror universe keeps the entertainment going but it propped up a large proportion of the series. I may be overly critical and aside of some major goofs like the spacestation one it is still an enjoyable show as entertainment goes but it is just not Trek. It's just another space opera.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »

Yeah, Janeway is awesome, Chakotay was cool until he traded in his Maquis credentials for archaelogoy, Paris was always interesting, Torres and Seven were well developed, and the holo doc was great until he started singing operas.

Chakotay was the only character that I found rather boring. He had almost no character arc at all, which might be the reason. But I loved all of the others, including Kes and Kim (well, Kim wasn't so interesting, objectively, but I still liked him :D ).

• Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »

Chakotay was the only character that I found rather boring. He had almost no character arc at all, which might be the reason. But I loved all of the others, including Kes and Kim (well, Kim wasn't so interesting, objectively, but I still liked him :D ).

Chakotay was great in his own way, but he was always a catalyst rather than a character.
    I think people get caught-up with the style difference between shows. This one has an over-arching story line and a main character to follow. These are modern story structures and don't affect the Trek-ness of Discovery.

True, and I'm not one of those people who say Disco "isn't Star Trek", but that style was where it let itself down IMO. It failed to put together a compelling and well-paced over-arching storyline, and it failed to produce episodes that stood alone. It tried to keep a foot in two camps, and as Leonard Nimoy once told me, if you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.

Overall fine for a first season (and I didn't mind Tilly's swearing, but was shocked and appalled by Burnham's bad language in the following episode - completely out of character and absolutely horrific to witness), and I'm looking forward to better things.
  • Options
    PenguinJim wrote: »

True, and I'm not one of those people who say Disco "isn't Star Trek", but that style was where it let itself down IMO. It failed to put together a compelling and well-paced over-arching storyline, and it failed to produce episodes that stood alone. It tried to keep a foot in two camps, and as Leonard Nimoy once told me, if you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.

I think that one of its weaknesses is that they tried to put too much stuff into it, they were chasing way more than two rabbits, so to say. But I appreciated the attempt to do something new, with the characters, the storyline and several aspects of the plot. To me, it was compelling.
    I still think it was a weird choice to have a Vulcan-minded character as the protagonist, especially since the whole season was so action driven, with little space for character development. But in the end, for a first season, it worked pretty well and I found it very enjoyable.

• Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    B+ for season 1. Get rid of Burnham.....A+ :)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Discovery season 1..... didn't hate it.... looking forward to season 2
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I never said Voyager was bad. I simply said I liked Discovery better. Someone has to be at the bottom. Also, my point of the thread was not against Voyager, but for Discovery. It is far better than I has heard. I suppose it helps that I watched the whole season over 4 days. Also, to be fair, I have not seen every season of Voyager. I will finish that next and possibly re-evaluate.
  • Options
    RaijinmeisterRaijinmeister ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Well, I'm happy the OP enjoyed but STD is an abomination.

Most of the people responsible for that are already out of CBS, eventually, it will be canceled by the utterly low number of viewers and how costly it becomes to CBS and NETFLIX, and removed from the canon and Star Trek once more will be something akin to intelligent plots and well-developed characters.

And of course without RADARs in space...