Home The Bridge
Options

Really Starting to Hate Voyages

For me, Voyages have become extremely frustrating with the introduction of the Revival Tokens. I would rather they eliminate the Revival Tokens from the game, than leave them as is.

In the last 2 weeks I have abandoned, if my count is correct, 8 voyages. In the past, I would have extended all of them. It's very common for me forget to recall a voyage so I just spend the 100 or so dilithium to extend it. To me, that's an acceptable cost as long as the rewards are good.

I refuse to waste a Revival Token for the rewards achieved from an 8-10 hour voyage. I'll save the Tokens for an extended run to get Picard and McCoy. I'll happily spend Chronitons, but not a Token.

I'm sure that DB intends to force users to waste the tokens on low cost revivals, but it's a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. So in their attempt to guide behavior, they have actually lost money. In my case around $10 in dilithium that I would have spent but didn't. Multiply that by the number of people in a similar situation not extending their voyages, and it turns into a significant amount of revenue lost. For me, that was for a 2 week period. Now multiply that out 26 times for what they are losing over a year from me. Suddenly their Revival Tokens have cost them $260 in revenue from one player, and again, multiply that by the number of players who react in a similar manner and it's quite a lot of money.

Comments

• Options
    I agree completely. I found myself with the extra token from last weeks Event, and abandon a couple voyages for the first time in months, and I have been recalling a bunch early, because they were doomed from the onset (no ship AM bonus, poor skill crew bonuses).

I think there is a dedicated thread to making this an option between Token and Dilithium in "Make It So" forum.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    For me, Voyages have become extremely frustrating with the introduction of the Revival Tokens. I would rather they eliminate the Revival Tokens from the game, than leave them as is.

In the last 2 weeks I have abandoned, if my count is correct, 8 voyages. In the past, I would have extended all of them. It's very common for me forget to recall a voyage so I just spend the 100 or so dilithium to extend it. To me, that's an acceptable cost as long as the rewards are good.

I refuse to waste a Revival Token for the rewards achieved from an 8-10 hour voyage. I'll save the Tokens for an extended run to get Picard and McCoy. I'll happily spend Chronitons, but not a Token.

I'm sure that DB intends to force users to waste the tokens on low cost revivals, but it's a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. So in their attempt to guide behavior, they have actually lost money. In my case around $10 in dilithium that I would have spent but didn't. Multiply that by the number of people in a similar situation not extending their voyages, and it turns into a significant amount of revenue lost. For me, that was for a 2 week period. Now multiply that out 26 times for what they are losing over a year from me. Suddenly their Revival Tokens have cost them $260 in revenue from one player, and again, multiply that by the number of players who react in a similar manner and it's quite a lot of money.

Of course not to be forgetful, you could set your alarm on your phone as most other people do that I read on here because they also do it during faction events.
    Remember, about 1200 AM is about an hours time.
    But yes, DB needs to put in the option to use either.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, you would even prefer to have this item eliminated, so u don t save any dilithium at all, just because u can t maximize the benefit of it?

Makes no sense to me sorry.

And yes, its unlucky u don t have an option to choose when to use it...but still it does saves you dilithium either way.

Look at it a different way: in the current setup, DB wants to get us to drop 150-300 (or more) dil on subsequent extensions by making us use the tokens first. It makes a kind of sense - revive a voyage at 8 or 10 hours for free, have a chance at dropping some more 4* crew and then the pressure to spend on further extensions leads to players spending more than they would if they had dropped 100 dil on the first extension - but this reasoning falls apart because we understand that we’ll get more value from the revive tokens later on. DB’s chase for a few people dropping a lot of dil is causing them to lose people who would have spent a smaller amount on a more frequent basis.

I’d be surprised but this approach - promote big splash purchases at the expense of a slow, steady income - is pretty normal for the game.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you'd spend the dilithium to revive voyages anyway I'm struggling understanding why you wouldn't just burn the token and go back to your normal way you manage voyages. It seems weird to want the item to be eliminated rather than just burning the damn thing and going about your business
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    If you'd spend the dilithium to revive voyages anyway I'm struggling understanding why you wouldn't just burn the token and go back to your normal way you manage voyages. It seems weird to want the item to be eliminated rather than just burning the damn thing and going about your business

Planning for a very long voyage is a significant undertaking. One token is a huge saving in dilithium if used late in the voyage. The last 22 hours of a Voyage costs as much dilithium as the first 50 hours. When I did my one long Voyage I had two tokens in the mail box and used them same for two extensions. That saved me roughly 1400 dilithium.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

You can leave the ones they send for mistakes in mail. Btu, there really should be a way to choose when we spend what, for the ones fom Thresholds and whatnot.............
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just to be clear, you would even prefer to have this item eliminated, so u don t save any dilithium at all, just because u can t maximize the benefit of it?

Yes. That is 100% what I meant. The frustation is causes for me makes me prefer it didn't exist at all if it has to exist in its current form. Would I prefer that they just put your tokens in inventory to use when you wanted to use them rather than force you to use them? Of course.
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    I think Althea is more making a case that we should be able to manually choose to use the tokens, and that the current setup is actually harmful to DB's bottom line.

Yep. Exactly the point I was trying to make

Of course not to be forgetful, you could set your alarm on your phone as most other people do that I read on here because they also do it during faction events.

Unfortunately I don't really have that option a lot of the time because my voyages tend to end in the middle of my work day and I can't have an alarm going off in the middle of a meeting. Since I don't wake up in the middle of the night to do dilemmas there is always an overlap with work unless it's the weekend
  • Options
    edited December 2018

You aren't considering extended voyages. Yes, I would revive using dilithium when it was around 100 dilithium, but if I want to plan for a 30+ hour voyage to get Picard and McCoy, I don't want to waste those tokens.

Right now, my only option is to abandon voyage after voyage after voyage until I've accumulated enough tokens for that long voyage. That's money that never makes it to DB's bank account.

Long voyages are very, very expensive. I posted a thread on here a long time ago about my 73 hour voyage where I spent a fortune in dilithium just to finally get all the event crew. Never spending that much again.

If you want to read about that voyage (that cost me around 14,800 dilithium), here's the thread
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/2569/my-73-hour-voyage
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »

Planning for a very long voyage is a significant undertaking. One token is a huge saving in dilithium if used late in the voyage. The last 22 hours of a Voyage costs as much dilithium as the first 50 hours. When I did my one long Voyage I had two tokens in the mail box and used them same for two extensions. That saved me roughly 1400 dilithium.

I understand your sentiment, but this falls apart upon scrutiny. You are suggesting that the OP is capable of planning for a long voyage while simultaneously admitting that they are incapable of planning/managing short voyages.

Revival tokens are new and will require players to adjust how they play. To the OP, I would suggest you adjust how you play by learning to actually keep track of your voyages, or simply accept that once per week you get a free voyage revive.
  • Options

I hate that I get this - efficiency can be so, so satisfying. Althea and I would make excellent drones.

504f0hsnd1ug.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Remember, about 1200 AM is about an hours time.
    But yes, DB needs to put in the option to use either.

Set the alarm on the phone for voyages you say? Well let's see... I already have alarms set up for shuttle returns (because the notifications still dont work after the update), alarms for ad warp refresh, alarms for gauntlet character refresh, alarms for portal refresh, alarms for chroniton bonus, a new alarm for the legendary behold offer refresh, alarms for....
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem is it's a moving alarm. She's willing to spend just a single dilithium's worth to get an extra dilemma or two. But 300 AM doesn't always equal 13 minutes. And the second refill doesn't provide a reasonable ROI.
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭

You aren't considering extended voyages. Yes, I would revive using dilithium when it was around 100 dilithium, but if I want to plan for a 30+ hour voyage to get Picard and McCoy, I don't want to waste those tokens.

Right now, my only option is to abandon voyage after voyage after voyage until I've accumulated enough tokens for that long voyage. That's money that never makes it to DB's bank account.

Long voyages are very, very expensive. I posted a thread on here a long time ago about my 73 hour voyage where I spent a fortune in dilithium just to finally get all the event crew. Never spending that much again.

If you want to read about that voyage (that cost me around 14,800 dilithium), here's the thread

Im confused, did they add rewards to achievements that I do not know about? how do you get a Picard and Mccoy from extended voyages? last achievement I got I think was from a 20 hour one, and don't remember getting an officer, and I dont see any other achievement for it listed.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeanWins wrote: »

Im confused, did they add rewards to achievements that I do not know about? how do you get a Picard and Mccoy from extended voyages? last achievement I got I think was from a 20 hour one, and don't remember getting an officer, and I dont see any other achievement for it listed.

Picard and McCoy are the newest voyage only 4* crew. Both come from 3 part dilemma chains. Best chance of getting all three parts would be on a long voyage.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeanWins wrote: »

If your voyage is long enough, you can get all the possible dilemmas and choose voyage-only crew to win.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »

I understand your sentiment, but this falls apart upon scrutiny. You are suggesting that the OP is capable of planning for a long voyage while simultaneously admitting that they are incapable of planning/managing short voyages.

Revival tokens are new and will require players to adjust how they play. To the OP, I would suggest you adjust how you play by learning to actually keep track of your voyages, or simply accept that once per week you get a free voyage revive.

Sometimes crap happens. I actually messed up a Voyage over lunch today. I should've set a timer and normally I would've but I got distracted by customers and hunger. Missed it by 5-10 minutes. I refreshed this one because I didn't want to lose any honour and chrons due to other in-game plans.

Its also pretty easy to save tokens. I saved up 4 months worth of daily logins and two achievement rewards to do my very long voyage. Doing nothing takes no effort beyond tolerating disappointment.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ByloBand wrote: »

Those are 2 completely different things. And yes, after doing a 73 hour voyage using dilithium, I am quite capable of planning for a long voyage.

The first step is planning your ship, your crew and your timing. You have to time it's when there isn't a Faction or Expedition event since it ties up 12 of your best crew and you don't want it to hurt you in the event. You have to make sure you select a ship that gets the maximum bonus and you have to make sure you pick 12 crew that match all 12 traits. You need to make sure you total starting anti-matter is the maximum amount possible. If you don't have a ship that gives the max bonus or matching crew for all 12 traits, wait a day for the new voyage period until you can.

It is significantly more important to max your anti-matter than it is the have high values for your crew. You are better off having 12 crew that can only complete a 6 hour voyage than having 12 crew than can complete a 10 hour voyage if it means starting with less anti-matter. Remember, if you have no trait matching crew and no ship bonus, you only start out with 2500 anti-matter and each refresh will only be 2500 anti-matter. If you max everything you start with 2950 anti-matter. That extra 450 anti-matter each refresh is much more important than being able to go 10 hours before the first refresh.

There are 36 dilemmas. It takes 2600 anti-matter between dilemmas once you fail every hazard

Getting to 10 hours before a refresh with 2500 anti-matter means you will need 33 refreshes to do all dilemmas

Getting to 6 hours before a refresh with 2950 anti-matter means you will only need 30 refreshes to do all dilemmas.

That is a huge savings in dilithium because adding 3 refreshes at the end is a couple thousand dilithium

The math is the number of dilemmas remaining times 2600 divided by your starting anti-matter. Any decimal/fraction remaining takes a whole refresh (which is why my voyage went 73 hours even thought there were only 72 hours worth of dilemmas. I wanted those extra goodies)

• Options
    Here you go @Althea Biermont – This really needs to happen!

17gukggt8vv7.jpg

Yes. That is exactly what should happen. Then it works for everyone and no one is "shafted"
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to leave this thread before I get into trouble. You all have fun.