Home The Bridge

Borg Update Thoughts?

So the latest update. Lots of stuff to praise, like warpable cadet missions. However, it seems like DB needlessly spends time on "improvements" the game doesn't need.

Case in point: once again changing the layout of crew selection for shuttles. Last update made text smaller, this just changes layout with no noticable improvement.

Thoughts?

Comments

• This change is necessary for the newer phones. I am guessing they finally figured out a way to dynamically change screen sizes between devices. (That's what it looks like.) Plus there is extra room to see all the for Skirmishes! (again, hopefully)
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The layout is great for me. I was having to scroll to see the back-end of x10 Mission Warps. Which the tablet does not always do. Now, I can see everytinhg I get.......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • edited January 2019
    I'm having the exact opposite problem after updating. I used to be able to see everything fine. Now, everything is way too large. I'm only able to see a fraction of what I used to, and I have to scroll constantly. I used to be able to get all 5 cadet challenge missions on my screen. Now I can only see 3. Everything is way too large. And the crew selection screen for shuttle and away team missions is absolutely terrible.
  • I am afraid to login to steam STT. larger icons = slower mouse sweeping over huge distances to the next massive button in skirmishes and galaxy events
  • Don’t update until they fix the bugs is my advice (so mad I did)...

I wish DB would give an iPad to the janitor so he can click on every screen and report bugs before they release a new version. How hard is it to do basic QA (too hard I guess).

Meep meep
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    Im usually skeptical when it comes to all things DB, however I really think this update, was pretty awesome. Even just for the warp cadets alone, I mean how mind numbing is that doing it manually for all these years? and then as a bonus, getting to free up space, like free slots, with no longer needing them as crew.

I'm not sure if the visual stuff was needed or not, but does make sense if it helps with the new phones etc.

overall Im happy about it
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I do like the Borg stuff (new Seven game icon, cube splash screen etc) but I'm not happy with the change to screen resolution. Mostly everything appears to be closer.

Edit: the vault has a weird gap on the right side now.
    t94fak6btua7.jpg

Now rows are 5 across instead of 6. Since everything is bigger, there is more scrolling required.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    The QOL updates, the Borg...both are amazing adds. I think I understand why the interface changes were made and hope they are a sign that DB has figured out a better way of scaling the screen across all devices. They just need to make some more tweaks as per our suggestions and we might be okay.
  • I do like the Borg stuff (new Seven game icon, cube splash screen etc) but I'm not happy with the change to screen resolution. Mostly everything appears to be closer.

Edit: the vault has a weird gap on the right side now.
    t94fak6btua7.jpg

Now rows are 5 across instead of 6. Since everything is bigger, there is more scrolling required.

Must be the specific code for your device. My Vault is still 6 across with no gap.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Major KonigsMajor Konigs ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    pc01l9a2jfp7.png
    same for me,mine is still rows of 6 crew ,loved the new updates only less good is for shuttles mission is not the best crew to be the first one in the row for the mission u need to class it be skill :)

94 Legendary, 4x 5/5 , 8,x 4/5 , 2x 3/5 , 11x 2/5 , 68x 1/5 ,
    78 FE ,78 Lvl 100,
    Immortalized: 190
    Vip:12 Lvl :64
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it only mine that does this then?
    waru8bcyaf3b.jpg
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Is it only mine that does this then?
    waru8bcyaf3b.jpg

Nope, I am also seeing that on my iPhone 8.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are trying to make the game resize correctly regardless of screen size, ratio, or resolution. But they are clearly not testing on enough different combinations to find issues.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of the changes seem to be superficial, hardly ground breaking anyway. Warpable cadet missions is good, everything else is just window dressing
    DB: Do Better
  • I agree, I'm enthusiastic about some things like cadet changes but constantly changing visuals is unnecessary
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely hate the new look on my device and all other improvements are meh to me until it's fixed
  • You know, immediately after they released changes to the look of shuttle rewards there were a lot of forum complaints about the fonts and icons being too small and hard to read/click. Now everything is HUGE and we're all complaining again LOL.

I love the amount of crew that appear on the screen when I am looking at my crew roster for example, that seems to fill the screen well. I think the vault could benefit to similar scaling to fill the screen well, since it's essentially the same thing displaying crew.

Please also apply the same scaling to components in inventory and fully fill the screen, to at least make it somewhat easier to manage. Then sort by volume of components, and add an optional filter for unique crew components AND THEIR NAMES (when selecting for replication) and we'd be really getting somewhere.

I am scared to launch Steam. Some of this must look ridiculous on a large high res screen.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You know, immediately after they released changes to the look of shuttle rewards there were a lot of forum complaints about the fonts and icons being too small and hard to read/click. Now everything is HUGE and we're all complaining again LOL.

I love the amount of crew that appear on the screen when I am looking at my crew roster for example, that seems to fill the screen well. I think the vault could benefit to similar scaling to fill the screen well, since it's essentially the same thing displaying crew.

Please also apply the same scaling to components in inventory and fully fill the screen, to at least make it somewhat easier to manage. Then sort by volume of components, and add an optional filter for unique crew components AND THEIR NAMES (when selecting for replication) and we'd be really getting somewhere.

I am scared to launch Steam. Some of this must look ridiculous on a large high res screen.

Actually it looks the best on Steam, and on my 16x10 ratio screen.
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    Wait, do you guys actually play the steam version in 'fullscreen mode', I just shrink the window to be something like 5-6'' in size... easy clicking
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks great on my Pixel 2 XL. Haven't really noticed and issues and like that it's more scaled for my screen now.
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I finally have an interface that suits my iPhone X

It’s brilliant for the first time
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I actually like how the shuttle results screen looks now, I can actually read it. The other UI changes are a mixed bag.
  • Have to say I was surprised at the apparent lack of testing and design in the UI with this recent update.

Obviously all the obvious errors with the different resolution and scaling mentioned above and in the engineering thread, but the seeming lack of thought in usability and presentation of information is pretty disappointing too and makes you wonder what, if any, QA/testing was carried out.

There are some improvements, cadet warping, readability of some screens, etc, but responsive design isn't new anymore and for an app popular on differing mobile platforms more consideration should've been made to this important area.
  • I can finally see my Borg self clearly!!!! WOOO!

I TOLD that eye doctor I didn't need bifocals... hahahaha!
  • kapu wrote: »
    Wait, do you guys actually play the steam version in 'fullscreen mode', I just shrink the window to be something like 5-6'' in size... easy clicking

Full screen steam all the time!
    tuol2y3992wc.png
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Silver Seven at Midnight Reset, or Noon Portal Reset?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."