Home The Bridge
Options

TOS Characters not yet in game

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rainn Wilson was great! What part of his performance did you dislike? I think he did well embodying the character of Mudd without being a ripoff. Maybe you thought the eps were too dark in tone or theme? Rainn Wilson's Mudd was a bit harsher and darker but that was the writing, not Rainn Wilson's portrayal. Watch the Mudd Short Trek, it is soooooooo goooooood!

I'm kinda surprised how many people aren't fond of Rainn Wilson's portrayal. I agree with your assessment---in fact, he is one of the few things I like about Discovery. The episode "Magic to Make the Sanest Man go Mad" was the only episode that felt like genuine Star Trek in season 1, IMO.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Roger C. Carmel has passed away. That always makes likeness rights much more complex.

True, but so has Leonard Nimoy. Where there is a will there is a way...

Perhaps Nimoy's image rights were already on file with Paramount/CBS?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options
    Rainn Wilson was great! What part of his performance did you dislike? I think he did well embodying the character of Mudd without being a ripoff. Maybe you thought the eps were too dark in tone or theme? Rainn Wilson's Mudd was a bit harsher and darker but that was the writing, not Rainn Wilson's portrayal. Watch the Mudd Short Trek, it is soooooooo goooooood!

Did anyone catch what he did as he left the bridge the final time in "Magic..."? He said "Adeiu, Mon Capitan" in a perfect Q Easter Egg.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Options

I'm kinda surprised how many people aren't fond of Rainn Wilson's portrayal. I agree with your assessment---in fact, he is one of the few things I like about Discovery. The episode "Magic to Make the Sanest Man go Mad" was the only episode that felt like genuine Star Trek in season 1, IMO.

I always watch that episode extra times when I watch the Blu-Ray.
  • Options
    DaystromDaystrom ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I’m still hoping to see Chief William!

And 3* Mirimani and Kirok that you can merge later into their 4* wedding ceremony shot.

And then why not T’Pring and (McCoy’s wife from that multigenerational ship)?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I have quite liked Rainn in The Office & Roadies, I was not a fan of his Mudd. But I don't blame him so much for that — I think more than anything, he was just not the right person for the role. There was a delightful playfulness (and yes, flamboyance) to Carmel's Mudd that Wilson didn't have. If he wasn't named Harry Mudd, but was a brand-new creation, I would've had no problem with what he did. But Mudd was a very specific creation, one which I feel Rainn just did not match up with.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »

Although I have quite liked Rainn in The Office & Roadies, I was not a fan of his Mudd. But I don't blame him so much for that — I think more than anything, he was just not the right person for the role. There was a delightful playfulness (and yes, flamboyance) to Carmel's Mudd that Wilson didn't have. If he wasn't named Harry Mudd, but was a brand-new creation, I would've had no problem with what he did. But Mudd was a very specific creation, one which I feel Rainn just did not match up with.

But, he was Super!!!!!
  • Options
    At least Disco gave us a Mudd. JJ skipped that encounter in the Kelvinverse. {They used Mudd's ship to land on Q'onos to look for "Harrison".}
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Rainn Wilson had the playfulness of the original Mudd it was just that the two episodes he was in were darker than the tos Mudd eps and as such had Rainn Wilson been more playful it would not have worked.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    ByloBand wrote: »
    *puts on my Shan disguise*

With respect to the OP, let's consider tabling Disco conversations (perhaps start a new thread for it?) and let this thread be about what it is supposed to be about.

{Dons cape and mask.}

EDIT: Done ByloShan

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/12905/who-would-you-like-to-see-added-from-disco-per-byloshan#latest
  • Options
    At least Disco gave us a Mudd. JJ skipped that encounter in the Kelvinverse. {They used Mudd's ship to land on Q'onos to look for "Harrison".}

In the JJ-Verse they don't even spell the name of the Klingon homeworld correctly. They call it "Kronos".
  • Options

In the JJ-Verse they don't even spell the name of the Klingon homeworld correctly. They call it "Kronos".

At least they stopped calling it "Kling"!!!!!!! Was it TNG? The Klingons from the episode where Geordi wore the thing to relay VISOR video back to Enterprise? One referred to "the traitors of Kling" and is very clearly talking about the Klingons Homeworld.......
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    All this chatter about TOS Mudd v. Disco Mudd prompted me to revisit "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd" last night. I'll readily agree that the overall tone of those episodes were lighter than "Choose Your Pain" and "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad", but I don't know that I would agree that the character is all that different. Carmel's Mudd is more easygoing, but he's also a ruthless con man.

For instance, in his first appearance, he makes mention that his alias, Leo Walsh, was the name of his ship's previous captain, who "died unexpectedly". Carmel delivers the line as though it was a euphemism, but no one says a word about it. I think it's reasonable to interpret that as Mudd having murdered Walsh.

In both of Carmel's episodes, he is openly committed to overthrowing Captain Kirk and seizing control of the Enterprise. He may be affable, but he's still villainous just the same, extorting Kirk with the threat of stopping him from acquiring the "lithium crystals" they need, and later schemes to hijack the Enterprise and trade its entire crew for his own release from his android keepers. This is not a friendly guy. And I'll add that seeing "Magic to Make..." retroactively imbues Carmel's Mudd with a violent subtext that makes his schemes feel as sinister as they really are.

I think Rainn Wilson's Mudd is more congruous with Carmel's than I had initially felt, and I am content to reconcile that it was being held captive by the Klingons during a war that pushed him to such vitriolic bitterness. A decade later, when he runs afoul Kirk, he's still himself, but he's put some distance between himself and his vendetta against Lorca. It all tracks for me.

Agreed. I do not know who could have done a better job as Mudd than Rainn Wilson. Sometimes the original actor or the greatness of the role can never be duplicated perfectly because no new interpretation will have the nostalgia and joy from the original character seen many times over the years. Zachary Quinto was great as Spock but he will never be Leonard Nimoy, no one could be. The closest, best recreation of any Star Trek character I have seen was when Chris Doohan played Scotty in Star Trek Continues and much of that was because he was James Doohan's son.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    rhzrdifdxxln.jpg

A 4* Khan wearing this outfit would be nice.
  • Options
    When I first started, I unknowingly sent a CS ticket asking them to add Lt. Kevin Riley, because the actor, Bruce Hyde was a beloved professor of mine.

Still waiting :)
  • Options
    When I first started, I unknowingly sent a CS ticket asking them to add Lt. Kevin Riley, because the actor, Bruce Hyde was a beloved professor of mine.

Still waiting :)

You didn't know you sent a ticket?
  • Options
    I didn't know there was a section in the forum for such requests.
  • Options
    The obvious still (Nomad)

Since Riley just got mentioned (which I've also requested before), I was thinking DB could issue a special St. Patrick's Day pack honoring the Irish and the green. It can contain Finnegan, Riley, and an Orion Slave Girl. If the last one is too politically incorrect for 21st century sensibilities, than just round out the pack with an O'Brien of some sort.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it. Maybe swap in the Orion Slaver instead of one of the 4* O'Briens.
  • Options
    [SFW] Quick Claude[SFW] Quick Claude ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    They will probably never do it because of the nazi imagery, but I would love to see characters from the Patterns of Force episode.

patterns+of+force+star+trek.jpg
  • Options
    They will probably never do it because of the nazi imagery, but I would love to see characters from the Patterns of Force episode.

It was discussed in depth in the Most Wanted thread. Most likely would be like the Hirogen Colonel. No armband or other Nazi regalia.
  • Options
    [SFW] Quick Claude[SFW] Quick Claude ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

It was discussed in depth in the Most Wanted thread. Most likely would be like the Hirogen Colonel. No armband or other Nazi regalia.

I'd be OK with that if it means getting them. ;) It would also make a great collection.
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I was channel surfing earlier tonight and I came across the TOS episode "Whom Gods Destroy". There were a couple of unique and interesting characters that aren't yet in STT. Here are some of them along with my made up traits:

"Governor Cory": Doctor, Human, Caregiver, Federation, Tortured

"Supreme Leader Garth" (or "Master of the Universe Garth"): Human, Federation, Insane, Inventor, Shape-shifter, duelist

"Marta": Orion, Dancer, Insane, Romantic, Tortured

What do you think?

That Kirk may not be unique enough to be a new variant, but I do like the other choices. However, the fact that all three of the people who played them are dead probably puts the kibosh on that — DB has not had great success getting rights to a character's likeness after the actor in question has passed away. Shame, since many of us have been wanting to see Marta for a long time (along with numerous other iconic TOS characters who will likely never see the light of day in STT, like the original Harry Mudd).

This situation stinks.
    I would be happy with artwork that is close enough, but not exact, like they do with Malcolm Reed.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I just don't like the whole show.

Sorry. I'm a hater. I'm an old crew guy.

I tried to like the show, but once I hit the episode where Georgiou fed Burnham Kelpien meat and killed all of her crew, this show wasn't for me and this didn't felt like "Star Trek."

Granted, it's on a streaming platform, but it doesn't have to be violent like "Game of Thrones." If Gene Roddenberry were alive today, he would get his lawyer on this show immediately. Does not have the heart and soul of "Star Trek." I wish Bryan Fuller were still in charge of the show. At least he knows "Star Trek."