Home The Bridge

@DB - Is There Plan for the Romulans?

Ostensibly, Timelines has been set in the post-Nemesis Prime timeline. The Kelvin timeline movies not being part of the licensing agreement made sense for the game to disregard the destruction of Prime Romulus. But we now know that that event will be featured as a prominent starting point for the forthcoming Picard series, which I presume DB intends to include in Timelines.

The coexistence of myriad possible versions of people and places is the game's conceit, so there's a built-in mechanism to just say that these other versions of Romulans exist even though that one version of Romulus was destroyed, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But it seems like the kind of major thing that merits being addressed in-game in some manner. Perhaps an event (or mega) having us react to it?

Also: On the off-chance that the Picard series were to use footage from the '09 reboot in some fashion to recap the destruction of Romulus and that footage included Leonard Nimoy as Ambassador Spock, Eric Bana as Nero, the Jellyfish and/or Narada, would that constitute a basis for bringing them into this game?

I'm not looking for player debates about whether DB "should" do any of this; just a response from @Shan or @SunshineRiker whether these are things DB will do, might do, won't do, or can't do.

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ostensibly, Timelines has been set in the post-Nemesis Prime timeline. The Kelvin timeline movies not being part of the licensing agreement made sense for the game to disregard the destruction of Prime Romulus. But we now know that that event will be featured as a prominent starting point for the forthcoming Picard series, which I presume DB intends to include in Timelines.

The coexistence of myriad possible versions of people and places is the game's conceit, so there's a built-in mechanism to just say that these other versions of Romulans exist even though that one version of Romulus was destroyed, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But it seems like the kind of major thing that merits being addressed in-game in some manner. Perhaps an event (or mega) having us react to it?

Also: On the off-chance that the Picard series were to use footage from the '09 reboot in some fashion to recap the destruction of Romulus and that footage included Leonard Nimoy as Ambassador Spock, Eric Bana as Nero, the Jellyfish and/or Narada, would that constitute a basis for bringing them into this game?

I'm not looking for player debates about whether DB "should" do any of this; just a response from @Shan or @SunshineRiker whether these are things DB will do, might do, won't do, or can't do.

I'm not sure the Picard show is after the DESTRUCTION of Romulus & Remus. The quote that causes this theory mentions the DISSOLUTION of the Romulan Empire, NOT "destruction"
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Ostensibly, Timelines has been set in the post-Nemesis Prime timeline. The Kelvin timeline movies not being part of the licensing agreement made sense for the game to disregard the destruction of Prime Romulus. But we now know that that event will be featured as a prominent starting point for the forthcoming Picard series, which I presume DB intends to include in Timelines.

I'm not sure the Picard show is after the DESTRUCTION of Romulus & Remus. The quote that causes this theory mentions the DISSOLUTION of the Romulan Empire, NOT "destruction"

From the Hollywood Reporter interview:

I mean, they could dissolve a longstanding intergalactic empire without using the destruction of its homeworld in a story written by the guy responsible for the franchise under CBS, but sure, those weren't the individual words used in that one piece. Tell you what: If they do canonically include that the empire has dissolved but that Romulus still exists, I will PayPal you $3.99 for you to get a monthly card that month. I'll even include whatever the tax rate is where you live.
  • AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude this game will be over by the time we have to worry about any of that. No plan required.

From the Hollywood Reporter interview:

I mean, they could dissolve a longstanding intergalactic empire without using the destruction of its homeworld in a story written by the guy responsible for the franchise under CBS, but sure, those weren't the individual words used in that one piece. Tell you what: If they do canonically include that the empire has dissolved but that Romulus still exists, I will PayPal you $3.99 for you to get a monthly card that month. I'll even include whatever the tax rate is where you live.

Thanx. That is the very first article I have seen that actually mentioned they plan to acknowledge the JJVerse. All the other articles I read just said "After the dissolution of the Romulan Empire..."

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine they'll continue the Roman allegory and have the fall of Romulus mirror that of the Rome. It should take years for the Romulan empire to actually dissolve into assorted factions, slowly being torn apart by the corrupting influences of Vulcan ideology and Federation "root beer" culture.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    I imagine they'll continue the Roman allegory and have the fall of Romulus mirror that of the Rome. It should take years for the Romulan empire to actually dissolve into assorted factions, slowly being torn apart by the corrupting influences of Vulcan ideology and Federation "root beer" culture.

Unless a Supernova.....
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Unless a Supernova.....

Even after the Supernova, it should still take some time for the Empire to continue crumbling. Power had probably decentralized already, considering Shinzon murdered much of the Senate.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Shy Khan wrote: »

Unless a Supernova.....

Even after the Supernova, it should still take some time for the Empire to continue crumbling. Power had probably decentralized already, considering Shinzon murdered much of the Senate.

I've still never quite been sold on Romulan leadership all remaining on the planet. Or, for that matter, why they entrusted its saving to Ambassador Spock. Sure, he had worked to establish relations between the Federation and the Empire, but it's not like he was a scientist in his prime by then. Seems like the wrong time to entrust something major to a ceremonial figure.

Canonically, the Romulans have always been calculating, methodical isolationists with periodic ambitions of conquest. Not having contingency plans and protocols in place for a catastrophe seems unlike them. The only explanation I can see being made convincingly is that it was hubris that led them to such ruin. We'll see later this year, but it's going to take some work for them to sell me on this.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJ Abrams is an effing idiot.

The supernova thing doesn't make any sense. This is typical "Abrams-esque" nonsense. Meanwhile, I heard the Picard show might call it canon? That would TRULY disappoint me. Although Discovery already looks like the Abrams trek more than the prime anyway.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJ Abrams is an effing idiot.

The supernova thing doesn't make any sense. This is typical "Abrams-esque" nonsense. Meanwhile, I heard the Picard show might call it canon? That would TRULY disappoint me. Although Discovery already looks like the Abrams trek more than the prime anyway.

Actually, the fine folks running ST Online found a great way to explain the supernova, how/why it happened, and dealt with the aftermath in a truly fascinating way.
  • I'm not looking for player debates about whether DB "should" do any of this; just a response from @Shan or @SunshineRiker whether these are things DB will do, might do, won't do, or can't do.

It's too early to say what we will or won't do regarding content around the new Picard show. We're definitely excited about the possibilities for related stories, characters, and ships in STT, but it would be a bit premature to make any promises.

Side-note: as someone who cut their Star Trek teeth on TNG, I'm over the moon about seeing Sir Patrick return to the role of Picard. :)

Yeah I'm really glad that some TNG people are finally getting around the table. Having Frakes on the team for disco is, in my mind a very positive step in the right direction. His shows and movies, especially first contact, have stoood up very well.
    Account on it's final tour, soon to be retired!