Home Ready Room
Options

Keeping bad 1/5s?

Hi All,
Been playing off and on for a couple years, but more seriously lately. Bought the 25% off pack and was pleased to get Irina. Bought it again and got Cardassian Kira (only character in pack I had FF/FE). Bought one more and got Maid Marian. Was initially pumped to get a new 5*, but then looked at her stats. She seems pretty meh, only 2 skills, not a main character, etc.

In the past I've never airlocked a 5* but its hard to imagine I'll ever get another one of this card, let alone 4 more. I am tight on slots but could conceivably keep her.

Any reason not to airlock?

Thanks.
Roghaltz (BadTrekDad)

Comments

• Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    She really has no practical use unless you have a REALLY thin dip/sec voyage crew (which would resolve itself due to the number of crew with these stats). She'd be right between Dancing Chekov and Dancing Uhura in DIP shuttle stats (#7 DIP base in my crew), but not being a main crew there's zero chance I'd ever citation her and she might get an event every 2 years or something. I would not even spend chronitons on her personally unless I just didn't need a slot and her rerun event eventually came up.

Grats getting Irina though she's a capable ENG voyage and shuttle crew.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    What I do with my 1/5s that I think aren't going to be much cop is keep them at level 1 currently i have 4:
    Admiral Cartwright
    Pah Wraith Dukat
    Loque'eque Sato
    Umpire Odo

I have however FE Vash personally I like the character and also if they ever did a rerun of any of the Merry Men Events she could still end up as a bonus crew. She also doesn't have too Bad Dip Base so if I am on a dip heavy voyage she might make the occasional daily shuttle runs.

If Odo comes up as event bonus I may work on umpire odo. If space becomes an Issue though then out the airlock they go. I find it's best to hold on to them once they are in the portal there is a chance you get a second star on them and then you may well start to look at them in a different light.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Thanks. Will hang on for now, til I need the slot.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never airlock a 5* as I may never see it again. and I say that now that I have some room yet. I have plenty of 4* that I can vault yet if need be, but someday that will change.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently got a 2nd star on her from a direct pack drop (not begold), which caused me to re-look. I honestly can't see as how I'd ever need her, but thanks to cadet slots freed up, I have enough holes that I'm not pressed.

Personally I don't think hoping for a Merry Men event is reason enough alone. So then I'd go to her traits and ask, could any of them conceivably be a candidate for a future trait-focused Mega, then at least she'd get some possible value in a DIP-and-SEC faction seat during two factions/faction phases, because doubled, her bases are playable even at 1/5. There aren't enough Smugglers to see that being a featured trait, while there are way too many Civilians and Humans. I could conceivably see an "all Scoundrels" or "Costumed-themed" mega, and there are about the right size of each to be a bumper feature like Pilot.

But that's a pretty thin stretch. I can't see ever intentionally putting effort into her, only keeping her around so long as crew slot pressure is OK for the off chance of direct pack drops like I got for more *'s, or as consolation prize during a really meh begold choice.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    ACEACE ✭✭✭
    Honestly, some 5* will never help you in anything, unless you're just collecting their card. Check out the Do Not Airlock list, here in the forums, and you'll get a good idea of who to keep.
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    I will never airlock a 5* as I may never see it again. and I say that now that I have some room yet. I have plenty of 4* that I can vault yet if need be, but someday that will change.

If you keep playing events you'll probably eventually have to change your mind on that since between tuesday releases, every weekend and mega recurring legendaries, 5* crew are now released at a faster rate than 4*. Even if you never buy Tuesdays, they end up in the drop pool later and you may get them then.

Of course if OP has no problem with slots there's no harm at all keeping every 4* and 5* crew until they're full, but eventually decisions will need to be made. lots of 4* are more likely to be event crew than Maid Marian and I would seriously consider that when deciding who to airlock.
  • Options
    Ive airlocked a few and not regretted it. There are some I keep but mainly because I liked the character on whatever show or movie. I generally rely on 4 star crew and can't bring myself to vault any of them. I've vaulted nearly all of my 2 star and 85% Of my 3 star except what I use on the daily cadet missions.
  • Options
    Ive airlocked a few and not regretted it. There are some I keep but mainly because I liked the character on whatever show or movie. I generally rely on 4 star crew and can't bring myself to vault any of them. I've vaulted nearly all of my 2 star and 85% Of my 3 star except what I use on the daily cadet missions.
    Are you not able to warp your daily cadet missions? I freed up tons of slots by freezing all of my 2* and 3* once we could warp them.
  • Options
    So did I, the only 3* not frozen are Kang and O'Brien.
  • Options
    Thanks again all. I decided to airlock her when slots got tight later that week. It was indeed liberating, Travis...
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 10 1/5 I've not even started working on yet....
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options

sounds like a symptom of buying too many packs when you've already got plenty to do. :smile:
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I airlocked her right after winning her from the relevant event. Happy to have the honor.

It’s very unusual for me to airlock legendaries, but Maid Marian was one. Dr. Soong was another . . .
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    I don't have and issue with 5*. It's 4* where I am hung up. Currently have 31 with only 1 at 4*(Warship Chakotay) and Tourist Quark at 3/4 and a few at 2/4*. Cadet Wesley will more than likely be air locked even with 2/4.
  • Options
    Sounds like some of you need to develop a KonMari Method for STT. Haha
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭

sounds like a symptom of buying too many packs when you've already got plenty to do. :smile:

I don't buy packs, after Yargate I'm monthly card only
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Acer wrote: »
    Are you not able to warp your daily cadet missions? I freed up tons of slots by freezing all of my 2* and 3* once we could warp them.

Yeah I have now frozen all my 2 & 3 star FFFE Crew now and just warp the cadet missions. It helped a bit. Freed up 6 slots. Now filled with more SR with varying numbers of stars (1 to 4). Had some luck with pulls from free packs and voyages and I've frozen a couple too.

• Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    BadTrekDad wrote: »
    In the past I've never airlocked a 5* but its hard to imagine I'll ever get another one of this card, let alone 4 more. I am tight on slots but could conceivably keep her.

Any reason not to airlock?
    Shes part of the Sherwood Forest Collection. I pretty much hang on to all my golds, I have only ever Air-locked one (Kortar, I had FFFE already and I have solid crew roster so no need to keep him).

I was tempted to airlock my second copy of Guinan but glad I didn't as at least she has event/gauntlet utility. (I have since got two more stars for her from the gauntlet since it was changed).

Jim

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    It is fine to airlock a 5* if they're weak. There's a lot of garbage out there.
  • Options
    I would never airlock a gold, but some of these are just hanging around waiting for more stars. Mirror Picard and the 4 stars are regularly used on Voyages etc. and Picard, Minuet, the Caretaker and Armus are my go-to team in the Gauntlet.

30 golds in my crew at present; 19 on 1 star, 6 of which I have equipped to 100.

Immortalised:
    Mirror Picard

4 stars
    Surak - 100
    Ahdar Ru'afo - 100
    Prisoner Katrina Cornwell - 100
    Minuet - 100
    Etana Jol - 90
    Bell Riots Bashir - 80
    Kol of House Kor - 70

3 stars
    T'Kuvma - 100
    The Caretaker - 100

2 stars
    Klingon Janeway - 90

1 star
    Klingon Bride Jadzia - 100
    Armus - 100
    Bartender Guinan - 100
    Suus Mahna Sarek - 100
    Obsidian Order Garak - 100
    Niners Sisko - 100
    Will Scarlet - 90
    Enterprise-E Picard - 90
    Tuxedo Nog - 80
    EV Suit Archer - 80
    Niners Odo - 70
    Dancing Chekov - 70
    Dark Ages McCoy - 60
    Agent Janeway - 60
    Mariachi Q - 60
    Prince Bashir - 60
    Mirror T'Pol - 50
    Romulan Picard - 50
    Seven in Silver - 40
  • Options
    Really? I have her. Im not sure what the negative feeling is toward 2 skill crew. In most 3 skill crew you get a high skill an intermediate and a low worth nothing skill. In a 2 skillset only usually both skills are higher. My maid marion is #3 on dip in my crew at 1360 and her sec is 1022.
    My #1 dip is professor sato 4/5 with a dip of 1558, but her second best skill is command only 890, and sci only 420. So her dip is alot more but the rest of her possible strength numbers are seperated by 2 other skills making the gap huge. Her sci skil is useless compared to her dip.
    Additionally marion goes in the sherwood collection and her traits are excellent. You cant just choose based on numbers. Traits make them event and voyage usable. Maid marion is more likely to give secondary small bonus in events than hoshi.
    If you wait and hope for someone better to come along they never will.
    I have airlocked 5* crew but only plain, no good traits, best skill numbers less than 1050, not gauntlet worthy, no collection possibility.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? I have her. Im not sure what the negative feeling is toward 2 skill crew. In most 3 skill crew you get a high skill an intermediate and a low worth nothing skill. In a 2 skillset only usually both skills are higher. My maid marion is #3 on dip in my crew at 1360 and her sec is 1022.
    My #1 dip is professor sato 4/5 with a dip of 1558, but her second best skill is command only 890, and sci only 420. So her dip is alot more but the rest of her possible strength numbers are seperated by 2 other skills making the gap huge. Her sci skil is useless compared to her dip.
    Additionally marion goes in the sherwood collection and her traits are excellent. You cant just choose based on numbers. Traits make them event and voyage usable. Maid marion is more likely to give secondary small bonus in events than hoshi.
    If you wait and hope for someone better to come along they never will.
    I have airlocked 5* crew but only plain, no good traits, best skill numbers less than 1050, not gauntlet worthy, no collection possibility.

I think three-skill crew are a little over-valued in the gauntlet - only two skills are used in each battle and that third skill is often fairly weak anyway - but they are key for extending voyages in the mid- and late-game stages. You can hit 8 hours fairly easily with a number of two-skill crew but making the leap to 9 or 10 hours means the likes of Minuet, T’Kuvma, and others who are strong but are missing even a pittance of points in a third skill would drag you down versus a comparable three-skillet. Professor Sato at 5/5* and no bonuses should have a total voyage score of 3293 while Minuet lags behind at 2650; T’Kuvma is likewise at 2497 while Mirror Picard is 3478 even though they are much closer together when only comparing their COM/SEC skills. Trying to match traits to improve your AM reserves is one place where a two-skill crew can be a better choice, and covering while better crew are wrappped up innevents is another. That’s actually why I have my 4/5* Minuet on a voyage right now - it’s a COM/DIP voyage and all of my other top crew for those two skills are already on the voyage or are busy getting me past the final threshold.
  • Options
    I was told not to airlock any 5 star, but now that I have access to the GotBot on Discord I just check their stats to decide.