Home The Bridge

Gauntlet "Loot Crate" Drop Rates?

Comments

• SunshineRikerSunshineRiker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I wonder if they will refund honor spent to add citations to these gauntlet-only crew, as they did when they made multiple copies of voyage-only crew available via voyages?

Nothing is planned, no. This is definitely a value-add, and it's different than the Voyage situation.

With Voyages, there was previously a hard limit on how many of certain crew you could get and you had to cite them to complete and immortalize them. With Gauntlet, there was always a chance (though RNG affected, smaller chance) of getting more crew, so you didn't HAVE to cite crew to complete them. There have also been some past Gauntlet crew available outside in the gauntlet in other places in the game like a pack or two.

Actually, not true. Before this announcement, there were no known ways to get previous Gauntlet crew, so you would HAVE TO cite them if you only had 1+ of them, just like the Voyage predicament.

You could have said the exact same thing about the Voyage announcement as a "value-add" when you made the change.

Please explain how these problems differ?

(Don't take this as an attack or, that I'm not grateful, I just want you to understand your explanation doesn't hold up)

Before this announcement, there were packs that featured crew like Locutus in them in the past. Locutus specifically is also available as an achievement reward.

And this is different than the old way it was possible to Voyage exclusive crew. Previously before the change, you could only get a Voyage exclusive crew once and then you never had the ability to get one again. With the Gauntlet, you previously had a large window of several months (sometimes closer to a year) to get multiple copies of a crew. Just because the chance was smaller doesn't mean it's the same thing as the Voyage situation.

Edit: As other players have also mentioned in this thread: "Voyage was always called a voyage exclusive. Gauntlet has constantly been talked about as other means of getting them eventually."
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Voyage was 1 time only drop. Gauntlet could have been multiple during their appearance in the gauntlet.

Voyage was never available elsewhere. Locutus has been available in packs.

Voyage was always called a voyage exclusive. Gauntlet has constantly been talked about as other means of getting them eventually.

The discussion would all be a moot point if the honor exchange rates were better.

I still find it appalling that I need to trade in 90 crew in order to get 1 crew (for 4* or 5* crew/citations)!
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will refund honor spent to add citations to these gauntlet-only crew, as they did when they made multiple copies of voyage-only crew available via voyages?

Nothing is planned, no. This is definitely a value-add, and it's different than the Voyage situation.

With Voyages, there was previously a hard limit on how many of certain crew you could get and you had to cite them to complete and immortalize them. With Gauntlet, there was always a chance (though RNG affected, smaller chance) of getting more crew, so you didn't HAVE to cite crew to complete them. There have also been some past Gauntlet crew available outside in the gauntlet in other places in the game like a pack or two.

Actually, not true. Before this announcement, there were no known ways to get previous Gauntlet crew, so you would HAVE TO cite them if you only had 1+ of them, just like the Voyage predicament.

You could have said the exact same thing about the Voyage announcement as a "value-add" when you made the change.

(Don't take this as an attack or, that I'm not grateful, I just want you to understand your explanation doesn't hold up)

While Guinan hadn't been in a pack, Locutus was in a Borg pack that appears in the portal approximately once every 6 months or so. DB had also never indicated that they would not include Guinan or Caretaker in such packs, and if Locutus had been in such a pack why couldn't the others.

They had also indicated in a Q&A several months ago that they were exploring ways for retired Gauntlet crew to be earned by players.
  • Well, well, well, well, well! It seems that DB has caved into all the whinings regarding the "impossibility" of winning the featured exclusive Legendary in the Gauntlet. So for in v.7.0.10, they are doubling the chances for the existing Legendary and they are including the opportunity to get old ones.

Alas, DB has heard your cries. But is that good enough for you...
  • Doesn't see any changes yet in drops.

Blue trainers. Blue trainers everywhere...
  • Webberoni wrote: »

For a period of months, including when you landed that first Locutus star, you could get more stars in more gauntlets. For Lucien or the other Voyage exclusives, you could only get one star from voyages no matter how many you ran. If Locutus dropped from a pack, he was like other pack exclusives. The voyage ones supposedly were only ever going to be available by citation. Also different, Locutus and Guinan are useful. If you immortalized them you have done well by it. If you immortalized voyage exclusives it was because having a 1* crew annoyed you. I did it with Lucien and I am pretty sure he has never been on a shuttle or a mission or in a gauntlet
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wundigore wrote: »

For a period of months, including when you landed that first Locutus star, you could get more stars in more gauntlets. For Lucien or the other Voyage exclusives, you could only get one star from voyages no matter how many you ran. If Locutus dropped from a pack, he was like other pack exclusives. The voyage ones supposedly were only ever going to be available by citation. Also different, Locutus and Guinan are useful. If you immortalized them you have done well by it. If you immortalized voyage exclusives it was because having a 1* crew annoyed you. I did it with Lucien and I am pretty sure he has never been on a shuttle or a mission or in a gauntlet

Indeed. Even if we were to consider the hypothetical player that started playing one day before, say, The Caretaker was replaced by Armus - someone who had no chance of immortalizing the Banjoman before he was gone - the announcement that there would be future plans for obtaining older gauntlet special crew has been around for a while. Maybe not as far back as when Locutus was still the top prize, but for some time now anyway. Voyage-only crew were explicitly one-time-only options until DB reverses the decision.

As someone who used two of the $25 4* citation deals to finish Lucien and Thot Gor, the honor received after that announcement surely wasn’t “free” as some might think. Based on the awful frequency of getting the dilemmas to show up over the course of a six or eight hour voyage, maybe it was a little much to expect that we could have immortalized any of the voyage-only crew purely through dilemmas alone...then again, that further highlights how truly generous DB was with that change.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad this announcement didn't come two weeks ago when I dropped a second citation on Caretaker to get him to 5/5.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭

Disruptor Beam's official messages have repeatedly referred to crew leaving the gauntlet as "your last chance to win" them. See this post, for example:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/12161/the-caretaker-will-soon-be-leaving-the-gauntlet#latest

There's no mention of any way for them to come back in the future. It explicitly says "your last chance". You've changed position on this and even if the original posts are now lies, it merits refunding citations.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad this announcement didn't come two weeks ago when I dropped a second citation on Caretaker to get him to 5/5.
    Im sure you'll get your honour back once you airlock 180 legendaries won through the gauntlet.

DB: Do Better
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viscous wrote: »

Disruptor Beam's official messages have repeatedly referred to crew leaving the gauntlet as "your last chance to win" them. See this post, for example:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/12161/the-caretaker-will-soon-be-leaving-the-gauntlet#latest

There's no mention of any way for them to come back in the future. It explicitly says "your last chance". You've changed position on this and even if the original posts are now lies, it merits refunding citations.

If you're commenting specifically on the "last chance" language - at the time when we said this was the "last chance to win" them, we thought it was. We hadn't come up with the idea for this update yet.

That last paragraph! :o
  • Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    Regarding wallbreakers... Two fine examples:

cjg5wgw322yi.png
    y3uryf3rm8m5.png
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're commenting specifically on the "last chance" language - at the time when we said this was the "last chance to win" them, we thought it was. We hadn't come up with the idea for this update yet.

Yups, while something may be true "today" "tomorrow" can be very different. Or we all would still love the same person we said "I will love you forever" 2. Some surely do, while with many others this forever love has become hate in time :p If such things can change GAME details even more so...

edited February 2019

When we said it "your last chance to win them," that was true. That did not mean there would be no other way to acquire them over the course of the game (packs and achievements only, in the past). Your fellow players have pointed out that we've mentioned in the past that there would be ways to acquire past Gauntlet exclusive crew at some point in the future.

With this update, we've made good on that promise. Now you are able to acquire past gauntlet champions again.

I think most players will like the idea. This isn't the issue. When you come up with new ideas, all you need to do is communicate them in advance, especially when they will change the way people play. If you announce a month to a month in a half in advance that citations won't be the only way to acquire unique crew, players won't waste them. If this announcement was made a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have wasted a citation on Caretaker. Another person cited him a couple of days ago. It's not necessarily about compensation, it's about building ill will between players and DB because we wasted time and money to get that honour. It's a routine now where everyone takes their turn getting shafted at some point or another.
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Im sure you'll get your honour back once you airlock 180 legendaries won through the gauntlet.

That's not the point. It's the time and money wasted because major changes are made that significantly change game play. Waiting 4-6 weeks to cite an overvalued legendary is becoming tedious when you reach a certain point because less characters are available to work on at lower levels. Now I have to wait 2 years to get it back through the Guantlet.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

Except for when they've said they were working on other ways to make those toons available.

Such as... (from April '18)
    Will there be more chances to get Guinan and Locutus?
    Yes, old gauntlet jackpot crew will show up in the game at some point. For instance, there has been a pack that featured Locutus. That wasn’t enough, so we are talking about what our preferred method for introducing them to a larger population of players should be. We won’t be making it so that the time and effort people spent getting these characters out of the gauntlet is trivialised. So, at the very least, those crew will experience a period of exclusivity even after they are removed from the gauntlet.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    When we said it "your last chance to win them," that was true. That did not mean there would be no other way to acquire them over the course of the game (packs and achievements only, in the past). Your fellow players have pointed out that we've mentioned in the past that there would be ways to acquire past Gauntlet exclusive crew at some point in the future.

With this update, we've made good on that promise. Now you are able to acquire past gauntlet champions again.

So you are conceding that you DID tell us it was our last chance to win them, and then changed your minds on that, but this is another DealWithIt situation where you have no intention of compensating people who made good-faith decisions based on your official announcements. I think you owe those people the option to refund their citations. Citations aren't cheap. They take nearly a month of normal gameplay, each.

But please, please stop bringing up the idea that these crew members are also sometimes available in paid packs. Those are not the same as winning the crew members in free game modes like the Gauntlet. When you say "last chance to win", that's different from "last chance to buy".
  • Moose1Moose1 ✭✭✭
    You guys are making it sound like they are giving these out like candy on Halloween. Without knowing exact drop rates, it’s a safe assumption that your increased odds of winning these went up by a minuscule portion. Take it from someone who never got caretaker, the odds still **tsk tsk** and is all based on random luck.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Except for when they've said they were working on other ways to make those toons available.

Yes, old gauntlet jackpot crew will show up in the game at some point. For instance, there has been a pack that featured Locutus. That wasn’t enough, so we are talking about what our preferred method for introducing them to a larger population of players should be. We won’t be making it so that the time and effort people spent getting these characters out of the gauntlet is trivialised. So, at the very least, those crew will experience a period of exclusivity even after they are removed from the gauntlet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're quoting something obscure that was buried in a long post on the forums rather than a message that was sent to all players in-game like the "last chance to win" announcements were.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're quoting something obscure that was buried in a long post on the forums rather than a message that was sent to all players in-game like the "last chance to win" announcements were.

It’s from the Q&A with Erin which was posted to the forum and IIRC a message pointing to it was sent in game.
    I gave the matter some more thought and came to the conclusion that pretty much any of the gauntlet specials are worthy of having multiple copies. The Caretaker is a no-brainer for his voyage utility and the others are also pretty excellent.

I had this thought about 30 seconds after spending a citation on a second star for Leonardo instead of a fifth star on the Banjoman...oops.
  • RaijinmeisterRaijinmeister ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    20,000+ rounds later I know the odds to get something useful AKA a gauntlet 5* are terribly low.
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy they made all the gauntlet chars available the way they did. However, they announced it less than a week after I dropped 100k honor to put the last 2 stars on my Caretaker. Had I known they were going to do that, I DEFINITELY would have cited another char instead. Who wouldn't be annoyed by that? I specifically waited until he was out of the gauntlet to cite him because I figured it would be a long time until he'd be available any other way. The right time to make this announcement was when they announced that Armus was going to be the new gauntlet char. Even if they couldn't give us the exact how, they could have at least let us know that the old Gauntlet chars were soon going to be available once again.
    I'm happy they made all the gauntlet chars available the way they did. However, they announced it less than a week after I dropped 100k honor to put the last 2 stars on my Caretaker. Had I known they were going to do that, I DEFINITELY would have cited another char instead. Who wouldn't be annoyed by that? I specifically waited until he was out of the gauntlet to cite him because I figured it would be a long time until he'd be available any other way. The right time to make this announcement was when they announced that Armus was going to be the new gauntlet char. Even if they couldn't give us the exact how, they could have at least let us know that the old Gauntlet chars were soon going to be available once again.

Would you really say no to a second Caretaker? Who other than the bluest of whales is so secure in their ENG/MED crew for voyages that they couldn’t legitimately make use of two Caretakers?

I struggled with this myself a month or two ago. I figured that I wouldn’t take my Caretaker past 4/5* in case he was available in an achievement or by some other means, and so spent my last two citations on Delta Flyer Paris. Then I realized...the only thing better than one Caretaker is two of them.
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you really say no to a second Caretaker? Who other than the bluest of whales is so secure in their ENG/MED crew for voyages that they couldn’t legitimately make use of two Caretakers?

I struggled with this myself a month or two ago. I figured that I wouldn’t take my Caretaker past 4/5* in case he was available in an achievement or by some other means, and so spent my last two citations on Delta Flyer Paris. Then I realized...the only thing better than one Caretaker is two of them.

Engineering is my strongest skill right now, so adding another Caretaker would be at the bottom of my priority list. I have no duplicate characters in my roster and I'm content to keep it that way. It may seem crazy to you, I get that, but with power creep being the factor it is, I don't see much utility in hanging onto duplicates. If you can't understand why I would be annoyed by the sudden announcement 6 days after dropping 100k honor on him, then pretend it happened to you.