Home The Bridge

Gauntlet "Loot Crate" Drop Rates?

13»

Comments

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy they made all the gauntlet chars available the way they did. However, they announced it less than a week after I dropped 100k honor to put the last 2 stars on my Caretaker. Had I known they were going to do that, I DEFINITELY would have cited another char instead. Who wouldn't be annoyed by that? I specifically waited until he was out of the gauntlet to cite him because I figured it would be a long time until he'd be available any other way. The right time to make this announcement was when they announced that Armus was going to be the new gauntlet char. Even if they couldn't give us the exact how, they could have at least let us know that the old Gauntlet chars were soon going to be available once again.

Would you really say no to a second Caretaker? Who other than the bluest of whales is so secure in their ENG/MED crew for voyages that they couldn’t legitimately make use of two Caretakers?

I struggled with this myself a month or two ago. I figured that I wouldn’t take my Caretaker past 4/5* in case he was available in an achievement or by some other means, and so spent my last two citations on Delta Flyer Paris. Then I realized...the only thing better than one Caretaker is two of them.

Engineering is my strongest skill right now, so adding another Caretaker would be at the bottom of my priority list. I have no duplicate characters in my roster and I'm content to keep it that way. It may seem crazy to you, I get that, but with power creep being the factor it is, I don't see much utility in hanging onto duplicates. If you can't understand why I would be annoyed by the sudden announcement 6 days after dropping 100k honor on him, then pretend it happened to you.

I put one citation on my Caretaker. More than 6 days ago, admittedly, but that’s 50k honor that could have gone elsewhere. And engineering is also a pretty strong skill for me, thanks to RAF O’Brien, a lucky Tuesday pull that gave me Mirror Cochrane, Ru’afo, and Protomorphosis Barclay from the chase for Gary Seven. But the combination of engineering and medicine is one of my worst, and there are few characters in the game (and fewer yet in my crew) that can improve it quite like The Caretaker.

Besides...the way RNG works in the gauntlet, you’ll probably never get him again anyway. Or you might get all five stars for a second FF copy. :)
  • I have to say again - if a player used citations on any of the gauntlet crew in the past (I did), that made them stronger and they benefited from that. That was worth something in game. You may have brought home more shuttles and voyaged further due to that. The honour spent was not wasted it was utilised.

So we have more chances to add more in the future - that's a good thing! Any player who used a citation and is now upset - you don't have any way to know if that character will drop again for you tomorrow, next month, or never.

Having said that I do get that it's a bit of a bummer if you used a citation literally the day before. But even if they had announced a month in advance there would still have been players that took a citation the day before THAT. So - whatayagonnado??
    “Holodeck 2 tomorrow, 1600 hours. Just you, me and a tuning fork”
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    While respecting the frustration, I would put it in the same category as me starting my fuse 1/5 Zhian’tara up to FF project last November, then to have humbled archer and chancellor l’rell promptly edge him out in some bases. He’s still a solid card, and I will use him way more fused, and I can’t control what will change in gameworld dynamics tomorrow, only make good choices today ...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.