Home The Bridge

How are Gabriel Bell and T'Kuvma not inspiring?

[SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
These trait misses are pretty big for the "to boldly go" collection.

Gabriel Bell: Every other Sisko is inspiring and as Gabriel Bell, his actions and sacrifice became the central point of inspiring a transformation of earth society. Without his actions the federation never even exists.

T'Kuvma: Inspired a legion of cult-like followers with extreme devotion. Unified the Klingons in a war against the federation. Voq who couldn't keep the cult together was giving the inspiring trait, but the guy who literally created the entire movement doesn't?

Comments

• The designer had an off day at the trait dartboard when making those cards.

Also, you may want to ping this thread with the above suggestions:
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10931/trait-audit-thread-new/p1
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just happened to watch the Bell Riots episode this weekend. So funny to see Darth Bashir (for the 0.4 seconds he was on screen in that pose).

I would speculate that Gabriel Bell, as portrayed in the episode, isn't all that "inspiring". A leader, sure. But the episode didn't really explain how he inspired the movement that changed society. He wasn't even really the "face" of the hostage-takers, since he let the older guy (whose name escapes me right now) take that role. He was just a guy that helped take over an office, and then "died" in the police raid while trying to protect the hostages. While such a noble death could be considered inspiring (and perhaps helped trigger the societal response), his actions while alive seemed more opportunist and self-preservationist than inspiring. Considering there were hundreds that died in the police raid, it actually seems a bit odd that the event comes to be called the Bell Riots. Why was Gabriel Bell of any larger importance than any other person that died? Why was he memorialized while others were not?

Having said all that... those of you that are DS9 aficionados are free to correct me. Perhaps I'm underselling Sisko/Bell here.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just happened to watch the Bell Riots episode this weekend. So funny to see Darth Bashir (for the 0.4 seconds he was on screen in that pose).

I would speculate that Gabriel Bell, as portrayed in the episode, isn't all that "inspiring". A leader, sure. But the episode didn't really explain how he inspired the movement that changed society. He wasn't even really the "face" of the hostage-takers, since he let the older guy (whose name escapes me right now) take that role. He was just a guy that helped take over an office, and then "died" in the police raid while trying to protect the hostages. While such a noble death could be considered inspiring (and perhaps helped trigger the societal response), his actions while alive seemed more opportunist and self-preservationist than inspiring. Considering there were hundreds that died in the police raid, it actually seems a bit odd that the event comes to be called the Bell Riots. Why was Gabriel Bell of any larger importance than any other person that died? Why was he memorialized while others were not?

Having said all that... those of you that are DS9 aficionados are free to correct me. Perhaps I'm underselling Sisko/Bell here.

It was described in the episode that the act of dying to protect the captives from the other rioters was that act that caught the public’s eye and inspired the social reform movement.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

Martin Luther King Jr died before I was born, yet he has been inspirational to millions and millions of people born after the 1960s.
  • I just happened to watch the Bell Riots episode this weekend. So funny to see Darth Bashir (for the 0.4 seconds he was on screen in that pose).

You are completely underselling Sisko/Bell here. There, you're corrected.

For further consideration, I highly recommend this essay published by The Atlantic in 2017.
  • edited February 2019
    I've got to agree: "Gabriel Bell"/Sisko absolutely should have the inspiring trait.

He may not have been the public face, but the survivors all saw how important "Bell's" roll was: stepped in, kept the hot-headed hat guy from hurting anyone, took charge, ultimately took a bullet for one of the guards, and that guard promises to tell what happened... Hence the whole thing getting named 'the Bell Riots.'

The episode makes it pretty clear that Sisko/Bell's leadership and (apparent) sacrifice quite literally inspire the planet-wide social change that makes the Federation possible, soooo....

Yeah. Inspiring!

• Agreed, this seems like an oversight...
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs