Home The Bridge
Options

3 minutes into the event...

Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
After sending out my first few shuttles I thought I'd have a giggle and check my rank with my 8 VP. I expected to be somewhere near the top because I had made a quick start, but I was given a surprise...
qrc9bf9x5lbo.jpg
My rank was in the 5000's.
But my point, how could a player get 2500+ points in the first 3 minutes? Are they just spending dilithium like crazy, or is there something I'm missing? I could understand a player having more than 8 points by releasing extra shuttles at the starts etc, but so much extra seems beyond extreme.

note: I am aware that my timer shows 4 minutes have passed, but that is because I sat there in stunned silence for a while before taking a screenshot.

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly dilithium, but more likely time boosts to instantly complete missions. If you do things in a specific order, you can jump past the low reward missions. Hmm... actually, it only costs 1 dilithium to instantly complete the one minute missions. They could potentially do all 24 one-minute missions with 24 dilithium. Not that they did, but they could. And 24 dilithium is probably a small price to the players at the top.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The fact that 92% chance of victory shuttles fail regularly takes ALL legitimacy out of this game. Why on earth you would spend money to rent shuttles just so DB can fail them is beyond my comprehension. Fun fact for people who hate their money: burn it in your fireplace instead...that produces a brief moment of warmth.
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously I don't know the strategies these players used, but modifying my own kickstart process to minimize time used, here's what I might do:

1. Open max missions, time-boost 11x2pt (1min) missions so that they instant-complete.
    2. Open 11x350pt missions, time-boost each - instant-complete.
    3. Time-boost the remaining 2pt missions (13) - instant-complete.
    VP = 3898
    Time to perform = ??, but certainly seems possible in 5min.

So I would guess that your screenshot captured these players in the middle of step 2. In looking at their VP totals, my procedure wouldn't actually generate those values at any step, so clearly they're doing something different, but the concept is the same.
  • Options
    At the end of a 4 day shuttle event check that screen again. U will see that if u do math on VP, a person must have sent a successful shuttle every 30 sec to 1 min for the entire 4 day event. It doesnt make sense. The amount of vp being earned some ppl try to explain away as large purchases of packs and di and speed ups. But still a person must sleep. Some of these numbers are impossible.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @Jedzrilanna croishven
    Do not forget the extra shuttle tokens too. The effect of being a squadron captain. Also, the use of Dil. 1.8 mil. who knows exactly how it was achieved there are multiple ways. But it really means, they want to finish number one.

1.8 mil. use to be a four day faction total for rank one.
    But that was before 2x rewards and extra shuttles. Keep in mind they probably had stockpiled purchases of the extra shuttles in previous events.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well as the person in 4th with 1.1 million, I’ve spent a little dil on recalling three shuttles at the end of the QuickStart to get to 4K. Other than that it’s been 24 shuttles going the whole time. 4 with 90 minute boosts that I missed maybe 2 rounds on due to sleeping through alarms.

The other 20 have been with the tokens and 9 hour boosts. 20 shuttles going out 5 times at 2x points is about 700k.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much dilithium just for the glory, the fame, the hono...oh wait you were not buying packs so no honor for citations. Impressive and herculean task though Banjo. Shame you didn't get number one in the Number One event.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    i didn't bother with the skirmish part. I waited for the galaxy part and went from 25000 to 10000, where i usually end up.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didn't bother with the skirmish part. I waited for the galaxy part and went from 25000 to 10000, where i usually end up.

Funny. So far, I haven't done any of the Galaxy part. I hit the faction part super hard and am currently still top 250. I'm assuming I'll need another 100K to 150K to remain top 1500, but even with that, I'll save myself a ton of chronitons this event.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Well as the person in 4th with 1.1 million, I’ve spent a little dil on recalling three shuttles at the end of the QuickStart to get to 4K. Other than that it’s been 24 shuttles going the whole time. 4 with 90 minute boosts that I missed maybe 2 rounds on due to sleeping through alarms.

The other 20 have been with the tokens and 9 hour boosts. 20 shuttles going out 5 times at 2x points is about 700k.

If I may ask, with 24 shuttles going out at the same time, how many of those shuttles are you sending WITHOUT event/bonus crew?

-EDIT-
    Also, I'm trying to imagine what your ship must look like, it must just be one gigantic shuttle bay with a small bridge and a couple nacelles!
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is crying foul.

My eyes are now WIDE open about the dangers of the top of the leaderboard, consider me scared off forever. This might actually cause me to change my entire outlook on the game, because up until a second ago I've been little-by-little building up my reserves to go for it in a future event, and I now realize just how stupid that is and will just be content to stay in my lane and let you guys continue to pass the crown back and forth.

You just can't expect to win a faction event. There's always someone willing to light their wallet on fire to prove a point. A skirmish or galaxy isn't pay to win nearly as much as grind your fingers to the bone. If you want to go for it, do it on one of those (or a hybrid).
  • Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ eXo | Frank, I made no attempt to cry foul. In fact, I covered up names because I didn't want anybody to feel they were getting "special treatment". No need to worry.

As for my question, it seems there's a lot of different ideas how this could be possible, I had no idea...
    It seems a colossal waste of resources (and ultimately, real world money) to me, but I won't judge.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody is crying foul.

My eyes are now WIDE open about the dangers of the top of the leaderboard, consider me scared off forever. This might actually cause me to change my entire outlook on the game, because up until a second ago I've been little-by-little building up my reserves to go for it in a future event, and I now realize just how stupid that is and will just be content to stay in my lane and let you guys continue to pass the crown back and forth.

This is one of the rare times when the Awesomes being anonymous is kind of irritating. If the Awesomes are from fellow dolphins or even FTP players it would read as a show of solidarity that it can be frustrating to always have to live in the giant saltwater pool. However if the Awesomes are from the whales it would definitely read as "Yes puny mortal, the ocean is not for you."

I think I'm more supersized manatee (metaphorically speaking, that is) than dolphin or whale, but I'm in awe of @Paladin 27 and @eXo | Frank 's crew and determination, while simultaneously being at peace with the likelihood that I will never get there. I awesomed them.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I long ago accepted that I will never win a Faction event, and that I don’t enjoy mindless tapping enough to win Skirmish or Galaxy events.
  • Options
    So we got this far without anybody saying "pay to win"........
  • Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    @Jedzrilanna croishven
    Do not forget the extra shuttle tokens too. The effect of being a squadron captain. Also, the use of Dil. 1.8 mil. who knows exactly how it was achieved there are multiple ways. But it really means, they want to finish number one.

But that was before 2x rewards and extra shuttles. Keep in mind they probably had stockpiled purchases of the extra shuttles in previous events.

When i did the math was before suttle tokens. They are pretty new. With 4 shuttles at that time being the max the amount of vp was divided by 4k for less confusion. Assuming all were 4 k successful shuttles it was one shuttle every 30 seconds over the entire 4 day event. Even with di instant returns thats alot of red bull over 4 days.
    And who would spend that much on di anyways for the rank reward which at that time was 1 copy of the 5*. You would be better off just buying the event pack with 2/5 plus 10 x 10 pks.
    I suggest we revisit this next weekend with a 4 day faction. Even if u use 10 or 20 tokens at a time not all of them come back successful? There is a % for event and bonus crew. How can u return 10-20 successful shuttles every 30 sec?
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, you are not taking into account there are players who, despite the insanity of the idea, spend thousands of dollars per event to win.

This game has been around for 3 years now. People that continue to play at a high level have a lifetime spend of well over $50,000.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @Jedzrilanna croishven

When i did the math was before suttle tokens. They are pretty new. With 4 shuttles at that time being the max the amount of vp was divided by 4k for less confusion. Assuming all were 4 k successful shuttles it was one shuttle every 30 seconds over the entire 4 day event. Even with di instant returns thats alot of red bull over 4 days.
    And who would spend that much on di anyways for the rank reward which at that time was 1 copy of the 5*. You would be better off just buying the event pack with 2/5 plus 10 x 10 pks.
    I suggest we revisit this next weekend with a 4 day faction. Even if u use 10 or 20 tokens at a time not all of them come back successful? There is a % for event and bonus crew. How can u return 10-20 successful shuttles every 30 sec?

Agreed
    It is a lot of expense and resources.
    There was comments of sending all 24 faction missions at a time.
    That is twenty shuttle rental tokens a trip. I will assume a total of twenty trips sent, this will probably be less than what was actually sent.(Edit: could actually be the right amount or less with overnight using x2 rewards boost)
    But that works out to 400 tokens. I cannot remember off hand. So guessing 15 can be bought at ten dollars. 400*$10/15 = $233.33.
    So one could buy the $100 and $50 cadet offers also the $25 DYC offer and end up with at the very least with 4 copies. With 15 event packs to open mostly likely would get one. But, if they get two, no need to buy the $25 DYC offer.

Edit: I think they also would have to buy the shuttle rental tokens at a higher price to get that many tokens. So I underestimated the cost of 400 shuttle rental tokens
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

@Jedzrilanna croishven

Agreed
    That is twenty shuttle rental tokens a trip. I will assume a total of twenty trips sent, this will probably be less than what was actually sent.(Edit: could actually be the right amount or less with overnight using x2 rewards boost)
    But that works out to 400 tokens. I cannot remember off hand. So guessing 15 can be bought at ten dollars. 400*$10/15 = $233.33.
    So one could buy the $100 and $50 cadet offers also the $25 DYC offer and end up with at the very least with 4 copies. With 15 event packs to open mostly likely would get one. But, if they get two, no need to buy the $25 DYC offer.

Edit: I think they also would have to buy the shuttle rental tokens at a higher price to get that many tokens. So I underestimated the cost of 400 shuttle rental tokens

As one of the folks using tokens to have 24 shuttles out at once, I used 9 hour boosts on all of them, so only 100 used during phase 1, nowhere near the 400 referenced.

Also keep in mind next week is a rerun so packs will around 1/20 for the new gold and not 1/10 as usual.

• Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    @Jedzrilanna croishven

Agreed

As one of the folks using tokens to have 24 shuttles out at once, I used 9 hour boosts on all of them, so only 100 used during phase 1, nowhere near the 400 referenced.

Also keep in mind next week is a rerun so packs will around 1/20 for the new gold and not 1/10 as usual.

I was figuring on the rank one. Not all ranks. 1.8 mil. Can be acquired in many ways. But it does look like if 400 tokens were not used, it was replaced with dil. which is actually is going to cost more in money.

You make an important point. Tuvok will be even harder to get. So 15 packs only 75% chance of getting one Tuvok.

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yep you cannot win faction events without spending a ton of cash. But that is okay with me. The whales that do are supporting a game I really enjoy. They are keeping the lights on at DB much more than my $8 a month.
    Let’s fly!