Home The Bridge

Alpha and Omega = Frustration and Dissapointment

So I was really excited about this weeks event. I finally dusted off my 1* Dr Hipocrates and Fully Equipped him. And I was finally gonna get to use my 2/5 Agent Janeway in an event. Totally looking forward to adding a star to Janeway and hopefully adding a couple stars to Hipocrates, so he can actually be usefull.
But to be honest I don't know how either of those is gonna happen.
There's no way I can hope to get 400,000 Points to get another Janeway and with all the people chasing Agent Janeway there's no way I'm gonna rank anywhere near whats needed to add even one star to Dr Hipocrates.
So I'm kinda left feeling like what the hellps the point.
Even with a well developed crew to round out the event crew...
1/5* Niners Sisko, 4/4* Disguised Tuvok, and 1/4* Assimilated Tuvok. I just don't see how I can possibly reach those rewards thresholds.
Am I missing something, am I totally wrong?
For those of you do hit 400,000 points in a Faction event, what's it actually take?

Comments

• JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kickstart and many saved up time reducers (+ of course the right crew which you seem to have). If you are choisy about the events you attack that will be enough even with 9 hour overnight shuttles...
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I hear you I am doing ok, but I do have the crew for it (just about), I am glad I got Benny, Bartender at 1/5 FE along with a F/F F/E Noah otherwise I would be in a similar boat the problem is there are a lot of seats that Noah could fill but not many else can even assimilated Janeway is a bit of a misfit on the Sci/Dip ones. To make things worse all three factions are exactly the same.

This is a tough one if you don't have the event crew already FF/FE.

I would still try and go for 400k it is still possible but focus on quality rather than quantity.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • ImoklesImokles ✭✭✭
    You need a strong enough crew to have a reasonable success rate for the shuttles you run. Only then time reducers really make sense because you can use either a time reducer or skill enhancer buff, but not both. The crew you mention (1/4* Noah, 0/4* Ro (I assume), 2/5* Janeway, 1/5* Niners Sisko, 4/4* Disguised Tuvok, and 1/4* Assimilated Tuvok) is probably not strong enough to get you to 400k or even close, I'm afraid.
  • BakerbeanzBakerbeanz ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It's a very busy weekend and I'm not too enthused for this event, so if I get a 2* Maquis Ro and 1 premium pull I wouldn't even be sad.
  • I've airlocked Ro to many times to want to start spending resources on her now, but I could push her up too 100 if I thought that would Make the difference. And my squad leader was nice enough to share an Assimilated Janeway, I just don't see them making a strong enough impact.

As far as shuttle bonuses and time reducers go, I do have a lot saved up. 300 premium boosts unopened and 40+ of the Rare 10 packs. I just have the feeling that I'd run through them all and then stall out at 250 or 300K and have wasted them.
    And the alarm thing every 3 hours through the night is just not gonna happen. Sleep and life are just too important. Lol
    So, like I said...

I guess that's what you get when you play a game that is designed to **tsk tsk** money from your wallet every week.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've airlocked Ro to many times to want to start spending resources on her now, but I could push her up too 100 if I thought that would Make the difference. And my squad leader was nice enough to share an Assimilated Janeway, I just don't see them making a strong enough impact.

As far as shuttle bonuses and time reducers go, I do have a lot saved up. 300 premium boosts unopened and 40+ of the Rare 10 packs. I just have the feeling that I'd run through them all and then stall out at 250 or 300K and have wasted them.
    And the alarm thing every 3 hours through the night is just not gonna happen. Sleep and life are just too important. Lol
    So, like I said...

I guess that's what you get when you play a game that is designed to **tsk tsk** money from your wallet every week.

The last time I went all-out in a Faction event, I went through about 100 3* time boosts...I did, however, have a good stable of bonus crew to rely on.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are actually 28 4* or 5* variant event crew between Tuvok, Sisko, Janeway and Ro ... so with 5 you're a touch light there actually ... granted there are a number of quite weak 4* (and 1/5) options like Mirror Sisko and Warship Janeway (1/5 Admiral Janeway) ... However:

- You should be levelling Maquis Ro immediately if you do not have her ... she will be of use, even as an (almost FE) 2/4 if those are your event crew.

- Next time you know there's a faction event coming up, try to get the 5* the previous week ... Bartender Tuvok has been excellent for me. The previous event was hybrid, so not out of the realm of possibility for even f2p to rank top 1500 (i.e. me).

- Unless you are willing to spend a lot of resources, time boosts etc., or time (every three hours), then reaching 400k will be difficult no matter what, it all has to go perfectly for you ... I failed one of my first overnight shuttles (90% ... doh) so I'm already around 6000 VP below my max.
    If you have very little event crew then it will be even harder for you.

- I noticed you're missing a number of DIP event crew (Agent Janeway is your only one - other good options Tuvix, Gabriel Bell etc.) ... DIP is one of the most common skills, so that means you're relying on non-event crew ... if you then apply a 3* boost to DIP you don't get as much "bang for your buck" as it were.

- Lastly ... yes, as a 2/4 Ro would make a difference and as a 3/4 she'll be even better ... I doubt you have many crew with 1700+ SEC base ... she has that as a 2/4 (583*3 - without starbase etc. bonuses). Your crew looks like it needs all the help it can get.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've airlocked Ro to many times to want to start spending resources on her now, but I could push her up too 100 if I thought that would Make the difference. And my squad leader was nice enough to share an Assimilated Janeway, I just don't see them making a strong enough impact.

So, like I said...

First question, why are you saving boost packs? Just open them to see what you get. It's not like crew where you need to worry about space or waiting for the next portal refresh. There is no reason to not open your packs and then have the exact boost available for use.

Second question are you maximizing ad doubles/ad warps on Thursday. 40+ may seem like a lot, but you can get 18 a week without sacrificing sleep or buying extra. So you're only talking 2+ weeks worth of boosts.

Third point, Noah is available down to 5000. There will be less than that who clear 400k. Keep pushing and you'll be able to get at least another copy of Noah.

Fourth, this game is a sprint not a marathon. Yes it looks rough, but you're competing against players with a lot more bonus crew from playing the game longer. Go get your 3/4 Ro, add an extra star or two on Noah, then next time one of them are bonus crew you'll have more options to use on your shuttles.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    For those of you do hit 400,000 points in a Faction event, what's it actually take?
    $$$££€€

You need a decent crew

I have Ro and Noah FFFE, along with Arichiana 5/5*,Tuvix, Undercover Tuxox, Coffee Janeway, Mirror Janeway a host of 1/5 or 2/5* Siskos. Even I am struggling to keep up with top 1500; this event does seem slower paced than previous ones.

Coupled with this, you'll need boosts or shuttle tokens.

I don't have Katrine so I am not bothered about the last threshold, but it would be nice to get the Portal Pulls.
    DB: Do Better
    What does it take?

I've done this calculation before:

- Disregard Thursday shuttles, i.e. ramp up VP.

- Total number of overnight shuttles = 16 for 8000VP per shuttle success = 16*8000 = 128k VP

- Total number of 3 hrs shuttles at 4000 VP is 69 ... send at 9am, 12, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm send overnight at midnight = 69*4000 = 276k VP

- Total VP (without ramp up) = 128k + 276k = 404k VP.

So, with 100% success you can just scrape it to 400k by the end of the event ... I didn't include Thursday VP but that can be around 10k (depending).

Lets use 404k though ... at an 80% shuttle success rate it means you actually make about 324k ... so somewhere you need to make up the 80k ... which means you need to send out an extra 25+(!) shuttles at a success rate of 80% (20 shuttles make 80k, but that would need 100% success ... where (3*) time boosts actually do not help your success rate).

And just as an indication ... I'm currently sub-1000 ... with a standard ramp up and no extra boosts/shuttles run whilst failing one overnight (i.e. just your average player) ... you should easily be able to add stars to Noah by just sending out the standard shuttles every 3 hrs and one batch overnight ... if that is enough to make it to 400k? Probably not, I don't think I will (but I hope I do).
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It certainly doesn't require money, or even a ton of time-boosters, once you've been playing long enough to have a deep event crew. Having said that, I can understand how this game is even more frustrating for newer players, even up to a year into playing, after all the changes to events (ie: reward structures, more types of boosts, rental shuttles, etc...).

Key requirements:

- 13 time boosters (11 x 3* & 2 x 4*) to get to 3500 point missions within 15 minutes of the event starting

- deep roster of crew (with shared crew) to fill 4 x 4000 point shuttles (14 event crew minimum) that are all over 90% with 3* skill boosts

- set alarm every 3 hours for 4 days, day and night

- enough merits to be able to be strategic with the 4 missions you constantly re-run (let the other missions sit idle until they expire every 12 hours)

This approach will allow you to easily clear thresholds, and should be competitive for at least the top-1500. Sometimes it may take another 4 or 8 time-boosts at the end of the event to ensure you finish inside the top-1500.
  • I do use the add warps/doubles all week. I depleeted a bunch of the 3* boost packs as I did go all out for my 3 copies of Section 31 Georgiou. Highest I've ever ranked in a faction event.
    Problem with leveling Ro is that I'd have to freeze crew to make room for her. Then I've spent resources on 3 copies of her which I can't freeze, on a card I don't really want, and after Monday won't be able to use.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yeah I was disappointed on warship Janeway's 3/4 stats but if it freed up M Picard for voyages it would have been worth it. I have been using some non event crew however; namely:
    Ru'Afo for that Eng slot
    Cornwall as Dip/Med cover for Noah as I usually put him straight in the Med/SCI Seat,
    Bell Riots Bashir is off voyage duty too slotting in the single MED seat
    Interfaced La Forge (thank god I imortalised him) is Dip back up.

Haven't used Katrine once which is also a shame.

msm8y2su1lm4.jpg
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    I do use the add warps/doubles all week. I depleeted a bunch of the 3* boost packs as I did go all out for my 3 copies of Section 31 Georgiou. Highest I've ever ranked in a faction event.
    Problem with leveling Ro is that I'd have to freeze crew to make room for her. Then I've spent resources on 3 copies of her which I can't freeze, on a card I don't really want, and after Monday won't be able to use.

That Georgiou was threshold (4 weeks ago) ... so at 120k VP you had 3 copies ... don't want to sound crass ... but if it took you a lot of effort to get there just imagine what 4x the VP will require.

Maybe you just set yourself an unrealistic goal.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think others have covered most of the points quite well.

One thing - I simply do not agree that you need to wake up every 3 hours during the night to rank for the 5* and/or hit the 400K threshold. It certainly depends on your crew depth and shuttle success rates and so on, but there is no need to sacrifice sleep to get there. This game requires enough of our attention during the day. Unless you are shooting for top 10 finishes... sleep!

Not to be "that guy", but of course AviTrek meant that it is a marathon and not a sprint.
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Fourth, this game is a sprint not a marathon.

There was a time when I could not fathom what it took to be able to send 1800 vp shuttles at better than 60%. These days, I'm annoyed when my fourth best 4000 vp shuttle is under 90%. It just takes time, and crew accumulation. Find a way to create space for any main cast or semi-main cast characters until you build up a deep roster of them. Roster depth is ultimately the key to success in faction events. In this event, having Ro would have (and will) help you. But you could live without her if you had a deep set of Siskos, Janeways, and Tuvoks.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this event, my bonus crew is not doing as well as I'd like. When that happens, I can usually get at least 2 shuttles around 90%. I send those off with 3* time reducers and the other two off with whatever skill boosts are best. That gives 6 shuttles every 3 hours with about 90% success. I'm also not spending time boosts when i have no prayer of good successes.
  • Rara, Frank and Weberoni,
    Thanks for the breakdown. That actually helps to give me some realistic expectations and ideas of what I need to do. One huge hole in the plan is that I only have 3 shuttles and no prayer or getting a 4th. 2500 Dilithium is way beyond my meager F2P reaches.
    I do use the time boosts in the first 15 minutes to race through a whole bunch of missions but I don't go all the way to 4000vp shuttles. Knowing I wasn't gonna hit 400k I was a little lax and haven't even hit the 3000vp ones yet. Lol
    Been playing for about a year and a half and was finally thinking I had a halfway decent roster. Lots of main cast crew, lots of the best 4* crew, a bunch of them at 3 & 4*, even a healthy selection of 5*'s. Lots of Starbase and Chryo bonuses also. But when it comes to Alpha and Omega, that all means squat. Real slap in the Face when I think of the time I've spent on this game. So, just a little Dissapointed.
    Your info however does give me hope that maybe someday I can reach those levels.

And on the Section 31 Georgiou topic. With all the event crew I raced up to 120k pretty quick. A lot quicker then I ever thought. So I was basically able to end my event time a day and a half early. So even if I doubled the score of that event from 120k to 240k, I'm still way off the the 400k mark.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rara, Frank and Weberoni,
    Thanks for the breakdown. That actually helps to give me some realistic expectations and ideas of what I need to do. One huge hole in the plan is that I only have 3 shuttles and no prayer or getting a 4th. 2500 Dilithium is way beyond my meager F2P reaches.
    I do use the time boosts in the first 15 minutes to race through a whole bunch of missions but I don't go all the way to 4000vp shuttles. Knowing I wasn't gonna hit 400k I was a little lax and haven't even hit the 3000vp ones yet. Lol
    Been playing for about a year and a half and was finally thinking I had a halfway decent roster. Lots of main cast crew, lots of the best 4* crew, a bunch of them at 3 & 4*, even a healthy selection of 5*'s. Lots of Starbase and Chryo bonuses also. But when it comes to Alpha and Omega, that all means squat. Real slap in the Face when I think of the time I've spent on this game. So, just a little Dissapointed.
    Your info however does give me hope that maybe someday I can reach those levels.

And on the Section 31 Georgiou topic. With all the event crew I raced up to 120k pretty quick. A lot quicker then I ever thought. So I was basically able to end my event time a day and a half early. So even if I doubled the score of that event from 120k to 240k, I'm still way off the the 400k mark.

A good way to manage crew space and build your dilithium bank is to immortalize and freeze 1-3* crew. Even if it seems like a waste of crew space, time, effort and resources, the 750 dilithium achievement rewards are worth it (especially as F2P, I would think), and should help you eventually acquire that essential 4th shuttle!
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do use the add warps/doubles all week. I depleeted a bunch of the 3* boost packs as I did go all out for my 3 copies of Section 31 Georgiou. Highest I've ever ranked in a faction event.

This game is about building crew. How many times in the past have you made a similar decision? How many Siskos, Tuvoks, or Janeways do you not have today because you didn't want a 3/4 you coudldn't use after the event.

If there is someone else to freeze, freeze them. Ro will help you in this event and then she can drop from any free portal or a voyage. You might get lucky and get a 4th copy on a Voyage now, or maybe she won't drop for you and she'll sit at 3/4(I've sat on her for 2 years since the first Alpha and Omega). But if you refuse to level/keep her now, then she won't help this event and if that 4th copy drops it'll be a random 1/4 instead of a 4/4.

Rara, Frank and Weberoni,

If you don't want to race to 4k, then save your boosts in general. Open all 24 missions, run them all at 1 min each. After 10 minutes when you're done you'll be at 1800 VP and have spent 0 boosts. Then you can use your boosts when you need them the most.

Also, you ended your event a day and a half early. That means every speed boost you used to race to 120k was wasted. You could have hit 120k over the next day without using any boosts and had those boosts for now. It' again about planning your boosts and using them when they'll make the most impact.

Lastly, the 400k threshold is supposed to be hard. It was added for experienced players who were clearing threshold early. Don't worry if you can't reach it. Get your 3/4 Ro, try to add some stars on Noah, and know that you're improving your crew. Then those crew will be available to help you in a future event and eventually you'll be able to reach that 400k target.
  • I've already maxed out the 2* Chryo collection bonuses. Need just a couple more to complete the 1*.
    Rare crew I need 14 more for top reward/Dilithium bonus. 130 total Imortalized.
    But like people have said...
    It's a marathon and, sadly I'm realizing I'm only half way there instead of 3/4.
  • Can you do it? Absolutely. Is it hard work? Yep. Is it meant to be? Sadly, yes.

Digging a ditch is hard work. Subsistence farming is hard work. Teaching children is hard work. This is a game, so I fundamentally don't understand how "hard work" belongs anywhere in the experience.

No disrespect intended to anyone that prioritizes this game over sleep and life's other responsibilities, but this is a ridiculous benchmark. And that for a single star of an older legendary that isn't particularly useful outside of Janeway events. Besides which, this is obviously a small fraction of the player base that enjoy this advantage that is not even remotely derived from "hard work".

Sure you can be a resource hoarder and stock up enough boosts etc., but this still isn't a sustainable strategy for people playing events every week. Then again the question is why expend so much resources for a weak card at a VP level that still won't net a top 1500 finish?

So what we're left with is DB expects the rest of us to have spent money to make it to 400k (to the tune of around $25). If it was a star on the stat creep new release, then I can see a case for the value proposition. Since it's not, clearly this is DB continuing to push frustration levels to the max and taunt its players.

Y'all wonder why there's so many whiners, complainers, and rage posts on the forum? This is the result of choices made by DB - they have designed this experience into the game. People that are dissatisfied have a tendency to make poor choices when processing the resulting emotions. You can talk about personal responsibility, self-awareness, and confirmation bias to the upset masses til you're blue in the face - it won't ever change the root cause of their dissatisfaction (it's also a form of trolling that is more likely to exacerbate bad behavior).

That said, kudos to all in this thread for bucking the standard trend of dissatisfaction posts. This is Exhibit A for why a Threshold at 400K is poor UX.
    I've already maxed out the 2* Chryo collection bonuses. Need just a couple more to complete the 1*.
    Rare crew I need 14 more for top reward/Dilithium bonus. 130 total Imortalized.
    But like people have said...
    It's a marathon and, sadly I'm realizing I'm only half way there instead of 3/4.

Part of the marathon is keeping 3/4 (or less) crew ...

Case in point ... with next week's event notice up ... your 3/4 Ro will be bonus crew there too (Bajoran trait) ... so much for being "useless" after Monday, but hey.

The point is ... freeze when you can to accommodate new crew, you never know when they'll be useful ... I'm sure you've probably airlocked Resistance Shakaar a billion times etc. because they seemed useless at the time ... and yeah, he's not great, but he counts none-the-less towards immortalisation achievements and collections (Veteran).
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    As of 10:30 this morning I'm sitting at 104K. My strat:

Modified kick start. Open 24 shuttles. Run 3 1-min S31 Shuttles. Open 3 10min S31 shuttles with Basic Reducers. Run 5x 1 S31 minute shuttles. Open 8x 1.5 hour S31 shuttles with 3* reducers. Run remainder of 1min shuttles.
    This puts me at 2750 VP shuttles. This saves on reducers and the difference in VP is minimal.
    After hitting 4K shuttles I run them every 3 hours. I only run 3 seat shuttles. Currently running Terran and S31.
    All the 3 seaters for those two factions have SCI seats on them and I run 3* skill boosts for SCI. Which I have way too many of.
    I get up in the night once for shuttles. I do not run 9 hour shuttles.
    I do have 12+ bonus crew including 3/5 Janeway, 3/5 BarTuvok, 1/5 BarTuvok (from squad), 4/4 Ro and 4/4 Noah. It makes things faster for sure but I'd run the same strat regardless of crew. I only use bonus crew since they work better with skill boosts.

This is my standard strategy for faction events that I don't care about. Strong placement nowadays does require more time reducers, bonus shuttles and/or reward doublers.

The only time I spend money on events is buying event crew packs to get the 4th star on the threshold reward crew.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    One suggestion that I don’t think has been mentioned: if you’re not in a squad with a relly good share, you’re missing out on having access to crew that can help you achieve your goals. A good fleet can also help with strategy, such that you can do the kickstart correctly which is invaluable in terms of getting to 400k points.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Did not read though all. You need to cherry pick the missions you run.
    Since all factions have same missions, you may want to run two factions three seaters. That will be two set of identical three seaters one for each faction. (Only need two of the three factions.)

This faction event is not normal. Since each faction has the same seat arrangement as far as crew skills. Do not expect that in the future.

Also you may not want to time reduce your weaker shuttle or shuttles, so you would stat boost those.

Edit: if you have dil maybe take a chance on one x10 event pack.
    Edit2: if spending money I would suggest the $24.99 cadet offer. That gives two superrare Ro Lauren at the moment tomorrow it will be Hippocrates at 12pm EST Ideally you would level the extra superrare and use them on shuttles too. But this really has to do with whether you can level them to level 100 quickly enough to make use of them. Tomorrow's Two Hippocrates could be more useful.

Edit3: I to think it may not be worth your effort. If you could level the crew easy enough, you could buy the 24.99 cadet offer. However, Ro Lauren is going to need Maquis Command outfit and security outfits. True you could send the Maquis faction shuttles to help. However, you would need all your copies leveled quickly to help.

If on Wednesday I decided I was going to go for it, I would only do it after buying both the $24.99 and $9.99 cadet offers. Further I have to be able to level a 2nd Hippocrates and a second Ro Lauren. Also if I get a legendary Tuvok I need to level him too. But really Wednesday was the better time to make this decision.
    Every hour into the event makes it unlikely you can hit 400k.

The best choice is wait for an event where you can send all shuttles better than 85% success rate. That is when you try to get the rank 1500 or better. So long as you want the legendary in that event. If that event is a rerun, then 400k threshold will have the legendary.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not even struggling since To is FF, just getting what Points I get. My "bedtime" Shuttles last night were 3500.......

At 54.5 k Points, so should easily stumble into the 5* Item for Ro.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."