Home The Bridge

No redeeming qualities

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in The Bridge
This week really seemed horrible for new crew. The Tuesday pack had the Binars and the event had Mirror Landry. It's a bunch of two-stat crew. And the stats are awful. Not a hint of stat creep. Base scores are low. Proficiencies are low. And just to make sure they are not used outside of events, the ship abilities are low.

It was a welcome week of not using resources, but I'll really be ready for some good crew next week.

(Edit: sorry for posting in the wrong place. I am unable to move to correct channel. If anyone is able to move it, I would appreciate the help.)
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    This week really seemed horrible for new crew. The Tuesday pack had the Binars and the event had Mirror Landry. It's a bunch of two-stat crew. And the stats are awful. Not a hint of stat creep. Base scores are low. Proficiencies are low. And just to make sure they are not used outside of events, the ship abilities are low.

It was a welcome week of not using resources, but I'll really be ready for some good crew next week.

(Edit: sorry for posting in the wrong place. I am unable to move to correct channel. If anyone is able to move it, I would appreciate the help.)

I'm thinking that maybe Tuesday we will get someone brand new
    we have only seen in trailers.
    But it is not like I have a huge brain or psycho powers, so I may be wrong.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Moose1Moose1 ✭✭✭
    They can't all be powerhouse crew. And another 1/5*...nah, got enough now.
    Moose1 wrote: »

The biggest problem people have with 01 & 10 is that it is a huge load of work {or cashy folding money} to create a 5* that is abysmal. Someone suggested the 5* FF/FE should have had both Skill Stats be 1001 as a base, without Bonuses. That would have been a cool little Easter Egg. And the outrage would have been less!!!!!!
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Probably i am posting in the wrong place as well but related to this past event crew:
    What i would like to know is why Dr Noah is in the do no harm collection???? He is not a physician, he tries to destroy the earth doing much harm, and he has the villain trait. Does anyone else find this odd???
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moose1 wrote: »

Not every crew can be a game changer, like Killy, FO Burnham, or Caretaker. But as a general rule, newer crew tend to be better than most of what was released over a year ago. Be it voyage totals, base stats, proficiencies, ship abilities, or future event potential. The crew this week doesn't excel in ANY of these areas.

A few months back, this would have been an ideal event for new players to make up ground. But as I mentioned in a post a while back, threshold is too high for that. Newer players generally aren't going to hit 400k VP in a faction event (or probably any other type of event). So for players capable of ranking high enough, there is just not a significant improvement (if any at all) in their game. Any part of their game. Landry will be useful in one event with an outside chance of one future event where she will probably only be on the bottom end of useful.

I don't expect every week to be something awesome. I can settle for occasionally useful. We did not get that this week.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well while Mirror Landry wasn t good enough for me, i disagree that her status are crap. Not everyone has a roster full of the highest 5/5 crew. ;)

1200+ SEC Base and close to 1k CMD base , aren t bad at all. On top comes the Mirror Trait and shes Discovery crew, so she will be bonus crew for a lot events to come.

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    What i would like to know is why Dr Noah is in the do no harm collection???? He is not a physician, he tries to destroy the earth doing much harm, and he has the villain trait. Does anyone else find this odd???

His name's 'Hippocrates' though, the way Bond movies work that pretty much guarantees he was the world's most brilliant doctor before he went mad.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well while Mirror Landry wasn t good enough for me, i disagree that her status are crap. Not everyone has a roster full of the highest 5/5 crew. ;)

1200+ SEC Base and close to 1k CMD base , aren t bad at all. On top comes the Mirror Trait and shes Discovery crew, so she will be bonus crew for a lot events to come.

5 events a year. I suppose I shouldn't throw shade at that. But those bases are FF. Who is going to fuse a 2-stat crew like that? Probably just a few players with nothing better to do.
    Farewell 🖖
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

5 events a year. I suppose I shouldn't throw shade at that. But those bases are FF. Who is going to fuse a 2-stat crew like that? Probably just a few players with nothing better to do.

Sorry, like in your initial posting I find this 2 stat thing bs. I read this many times, not only from you. And I could understand it if Voyages were the only game mode, but they are not. For day to day shuttles, shuttle events, Galaxy events etc. 2 stats crew have many valuable uses if the bases are right.

Mind you, I don´t like the artwort of Mirror Landry (a further point which could make me want a card or not) and she would do nothing to improve my crew even at 5/5, but I find general slashing of 2 stat cards kinda funny. Also stats are one thing, liking a character, the artwork etc. are further aspects. Hence next to Gary Seven (one of the best cards in the game right now) Seven in Silver despite only having 2 skills is also in the Top 3 of my fusing up priorities just now...
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Or people without better crew to work on. Not everyone is sitting on each one of the top 25 voyageurs, needing only honor to get crew good enough to regularly push them past the 10-hour mark.
    Probably i am posting in the wrong place as well but related to this past event crew:

He's grandfathered in. The "Physician" trait used to be "Doctor." The collection was created around that, and he qualified for it because of that. When it was changed, he was allowed to remain.

Why, though. Katrina IS a physician and is not counted......
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Probably i am posting in the wrong place as well but related to this past event crew:

He's grandfathered in. The "Physician" trait used to be "Doctor." The collection was created around that, and he qualified for it because of that. When it was changed, he was allowed to remain.

Cornwell has a massive MED stat, but does not and never did have the Physician or Doctor trait. As far as Noah, my assumption is that they kept him in since he was in the collection at its inception and DB did not want to retroactively penalize any who immortalized him on that basis. If he was added to the game today, he would not be in the collection.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Cornwell has a massive MED stat, but does not and never did have the Physician or Doctor trait. As far as Noah, my assumption is that they kept him in since he was in the collection at its inception and DB did not want to retroactively penalize any who immortalized him on that basis. If he was added to the game today, he would not be in the collection.

Correct. Imagine what would have happened for people that had just cleared the collection and then had Noah drop them below again. Do they lose the bonus, do they get to earn the bonus when they clear it again? The simplest solution was to keep him in the collection.

Exactly my point about Katrina. She IS a doctor. But does not have the Trait. I guess Doctor Noah spent eight years in Evil Medical School.........
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Once you have a good roster of 4/4* and a few 1/5* sprinkled about for main cast, you can hit the 400k mark to pick up the legendary. The question is, why would someone want to spend the time and resources to do it on a regular basis? A game is supposed to be fun but committing that much time and energy on a regular basis to rank top 1500 or try for the legendary at 400k isn't fun for me any more. I might do it occasionally but not regularly. I don't try to fill my roster with this week's 5* because there are too many to collect and not enough honour to complete them. I think a lot of players are in the same boat. The play certain aspects of the game regularly but have gotten tired of the grind so they just do the minimum to get by on weekends. That's probably why so many people want the 400k threshold dropped. Some of them just don't see the value of grinding away anymore for a game that is supposed to be fun.
  • easypeasyeasypeasy ✭✭✭
    I'm with @ByloBand 💯 on what he just said..... Too much effort for so little reward.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    For hitting the threshold rewards, this event shows that faction events earn the least VP. So therefore, they should have the VP earned increased by 50%. Byloband's 361,000 would have been 541,500.

His Ranking would not have changed. But, he would have hit 400k threshold either Saturday night or Sunday morning.
  • bluetibbluetib ✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    The 400,000 point prize feels like a free commuter car that only billionaires can win.

I'm by no means a newbie, I'm a day one player, and even with a good amount of bonus crew, yeah, I wasn't even close to the 400k VP mark. I didn't even get as high as you did as I've never sprung for that fourth shuttle.

I find myself just less and less enticed to try to get past the last character or piece of equipment in the threshold rewards...

• ByloBand wrote: »
    As an aside, I suspect very few people actually got up to 400,000. I finished in 1,982nd place, and I finished with 361,000 points. There is a lot is real estate between there and 400,000 points, so my guess is no more than around 1,200 people worldwide won Janeway, and to your point, I bet very few of those people actually needed her. I am not sure what the goal is of the 400,000 threshold prize but to me, especially on a 100% faction event, it seems horribly broken. Actually, the 300,000-400,000 thresholds seem broken collectively. 300,000 gets you a shiny worth about 90 dilithium that can ONLY be used to extend a voyage, for a lot of the people who hit 350,000 it is nothing more than around 1,000 honor, and at 400,000 I'm not even sure what to make of that other than the fact that the people who actually NEED that reward are not able to achieve it, and the people able to achieve it probably have little use for it.

The 400,000 point prize feels like a free commuter car that only billionaires can win.

I finished 1,593rd with around 412k. So a lot more people earned Janeway than you think.
    I did have Agent Janeway at 1/5 FE, and both Ro and Noah FFFE. It cost me all my reward multipliers, all my 3* time boosts (of which I didn't have too many, around 40-ish, some used on kick start) and some of my extra shuttle tokens and I got there with just 8 minutes to spare, but it is doable for everyone provided they save up enough on shuttle boosts.

As I'm now out of boosts, I'll definitely go easy on the next (hybrid) faction event(s) and stock up on whatever I can get my hands on through event rewards and Thursday cadet missions. Because I really want to get Garak in the next rerun event :)

Most anticipated character not in the game: Mr. Homn
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    As an aside, I suspect very few people actually got up to 400,000. I finished in 1,982nd place, and I finished with 361,000 points. There is a lot is real estate between there and 400,000 points, so my guess is no more than around 1,200 people worldwide won Janeway, and to your point, I bet very few of those people actually needed her. I am not sure what the goal is of the 400,000 threshold prize but to me, especially on a 100% faction event, it seems horribly broken. Actually, the 300,000-400,000 thresholds seem broken collectively. 300,000 gets you a shiny worth about 90 dilithium that can ONLY be used to extend a voyage, for a lot of the people who hit 350,000 it is nothing more than around 1,000 honor, and at 400,000 I'm not even sure what to make of that other than the fact that the people who actually NEED that reward are not able to achieve it, and the people able to achieve it probably have little use for it.

I finished 1,593rd with around 412k. So a lot more people earned Janeway than you think.
    I did have Agent Janeway at 1/5 FE, and both Ro and Noah FFFE. It cost me all my reward multipliers, all my 3* time boosts (of which I didn't have too many, around 40-ish, some used on kick start) and some of my extra shuttle tokens and I got there with just 8 minutes to spare, but it is doable for everyone provided they save up enough on shuttle boosts.

As I'm now out of boosts, I'll definitely go easy on the next (hybrid) faction event(s) and stock up on whatever I can get my hands on through event rewards and Thursday cadet missions. Because I really want to get Garak in the next rerun event :)

I finished 350th with 499k. I did have the luxury of squadron shared Agent Janeway (dind't have my own), immo Noah, didn't have Ro but did have bunch of other 1/5 and 4/4 bonus crew. Used my biweekly allowance of 3* time boosts (still have 30 or so left), 4 doublers (2 failed at 91%), 2 extra shuttles with 9h boosts... but thats about it... Shuttle percentages were iirc 94, 91, 89 and 74, I could have run 2 factions to get that 4th shuttle into mid 80s but decided against it.

Ro started to get into the shuttles at fe 2/4 so she was really usefull after saturday morning.

Basically I didn't 'overspend' any of my boosts so this doesn't really affect me going forwards. Just saying...

bluetib wrote: »
    as I've never sprung for that fourth shuttle.
    there's no chance in hell you're gonna do well in factions with just 3 shuttles... the extra shuttles were the first thing I spent my (reward) dill on...
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm by no means a newbie, I'm a day one player, and even with a good amount of bonus crew, yeah, I wasn't even close to the 400k VP mark. I didn't even get as high as you did as I've never sprung for that fourth shuttle.

I find myself just less and less enticed to try to get past the last character or piece of equipment in the threshold rewards...

If you're a day one player, even as F2P, you should be able to get that fourth shuttle from achievements/collections. It's probably the single most important thing to do to improve your faction rank. I'd suggest saving for it as soon as you can.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    For hitting the threshold rewards, this event shows that faction events earn the least VP. So therefore, they should have the VP earned increased by 50%. Byloband's 361,000 would have been 541,500.

His Ranking would not have changed. But, he would have hit 400k threshold either Saturday night or Sunday morning.

The problem with increasing Faction VP by 50% for every shuttle is that Faction events seem to be more pay-to-win than any other. It's a doddle to get a load of shuttles returned quickly by spending dilithium, or to buy a load of shuttle boosts and keep sending out 5-8 shuttles. Doubling shuttle VP might make it easier to get the crusty old Legendary, but it'll make it a heck of a lot tougher for low/non-spenders to get the shiny new Legendary.

(Edit: changed "It" to "Doubling shuttle VP" to make it easier to read.)
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

I did say it was a guess ;)
  • easypeasy wrote: »
    I'm with @ByloBand 💯 on what he just said..... Too much effort for so little reward.

I am with Byloband 80%

(I love Disco 😊 )
  • bluetibbluetib ✭✭✭
    kapu wrote: »
    as I've never sprung for that fourth shuttle.
    there's no chance in hell you're gonna do well in factions with just 3 shuttles... the extra shuttles were the first thing I spent my (reward) dill on...

I'm well aware of that fact. I've known that for a long time and I simply refuse to spend that much DIL on a fourth shuttle. It's my choice and I know the consequences.

• kapukapu ✭✭✭
    I'm well aware of that fact. I've known that for a long time and I simply refuse to spend that much DIL on a fourth shuttle. It's my choice and I know the consequences.
    well if you don't play with all the cards you can't win... *shrugs*
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.