Home The Bridge
Options

Squad exploit still in use

edited October 2017 in The Bridge
-- DISCLAIMER - This isn't me bitching and complaining, but informing the community (as much as I feel safe doing) so everyone has equal knowledge --

Many of you probably don't know about this, but for almost a year there has been an exploit used by the very top end fleets/squads to rig the events. If I explain the exploit, my post might get deleted and mods might take action against me, I don't know. So I'm sorry I can't explain it to you. <snip> ˜Shan But this isn't about me or my fleet, so I'm not going in to that or calling anyone out, only that we had 6 people in top 50 and the other 4 in the top 100 to show that I'm not making things up. Those of you tracking the top 100 know what I'm talking about. You can't get 1st place or even top 10 without placing at least 4 members in top 100. I have plenty of screen caps as proof.

Months ago we ranted and raged about this and did what needed to be done to make a point. We moved on and are competing as the game was designed. DB didn't care about the exploit then, and through inaction it seems they don't care now either. IF you want to compete as a top squad, this is your only option. We will not be doing this, we would rather lose than win this way. But if you REALLY want to win, you need to know this is your only option in the current competitive environment of STT. Good luck folks.

Comments

• Options
    Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭
    you fail to take into account those of us who never even see a purple reward in the event these people like me can only dream of being at the level you are and honestly i give no cares about it cause i am still getting the same rewards i have always gotten: blues and premium pulls but other than that i get nuthin
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neos472 wrote: »
    you fail to take into account those of us who never even see a purple reward in the event these people like me can only dream of being at the level you are and honestly i give no cares about it cause i am still getting the same rewards i have always gotten: blues and premium pulls but other than that i get nuthin

So basically you don't care if folks cheat as long as it doesn't affect you directly? Wow. You belong on the Discovery.
  • Options
    Killer KittyKiller Kitty ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Not to question your math on this, but didn't the top squad's top player have 1 million more points than the second squad's top player? IIRC the squad points is the sum of the 5 top players. So it doesn't matter if squad A has ranks 1 51000 51001 51002 51003 and squad B has rank 2 3 4 5 6, if squad A's #1 has more points than the rest put together.

I was also watching the leaderboards, like you, and there WERE indeed about the same number of players of both fleets in the top 50. In fact, my example above was clear in the squad of the player who finished in #2, he amassed 99% of the squad points for his squadron.
  • Options
    Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

So basically you don't care if folks cheat as long as it doesn't affect you directly? Wow. You belong on the Discovery.

not really i know coding and i also know that there are people out there who will do whatever it takes to win does it make it acceptable? no but can i do anything bout it? no hence why i give no cares
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame this hasn't been fixed in all this time. Just add a 24 hour cooldown.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

not really i know coding and i also know that there are people out there who will do whatever it takes to win does it make it acceptable? no but can i do anything bout it? no hence why i give no cares

Sounds a little different from your earlier statement.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    DB can put all this to bed by posting some analytics. Post the FINAL leaderboards and squad members of the top 10 fleets. Then everyone would know for sure.

EDIT - top squads are welcome to come on here and post their 5 squad member totals to "disprove me"
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually isn't this the first mega event where we didn't get all the recaps?
  • Options
    Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭

again not really why should i care when this all could be handled different ways other than a rather vague post that i have no clue what they are on about add to it seems limited to the top area and not a general population problem it just makes no sense to get worked up over something that affects so few people.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my senior year of high school, I took a course on political science. We had to conduct a mock election. I participated as one of the candidates, and others worked with me as the VP, as the campaign manager, etc. I was not popular, but I had a really strong performance in the debate we had in the auditorium in front of the school body before the vote.

We voted at lunchtime. No one was even hiding their ballot stuffing. It was laughable just how corrupt the whole thing was. My teacher pulled me aside later and told me that even with all that, I still came in second and he was certain that if the votes had been collected properly, I would have won.

Twenty years later, I still have the satisfaction of knowing I ran an honest campaign and didn't steal anyone's ballot and had earned the win from a student body that had never been kind to me. I don't even remember who "won", but I can't imagine it means anything to them to know their pals collaborated with them to rig a win in a mock election.

And that's all I have to say about how dim a view I take of people so pathetic they go to ridiculous lengths to be "#1" in something that doesn't even mean anything or matter.
  • Options

again not really why should i care when this all could be handled different ways other than a rather vague post that i have no clue what they are on about add to it seems limited to the top area and not a general population problem it just makes no sense to get worked up over something that affects so few people.

You are the one of the players i'm trying to speak to. If your reaction is disillusionment, then there is a problem. You should care that no matter how hard you try you can never win. Just b/c the NFL lets the Patriots cheat and win doesn't mean you (the Cleveland Browns) shouldn't keep trying.
  • Options
    Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭

You are the one of the players i'm trying to speak to. If your reaction is disillusionment, then there is a problem. You should care that no matter how hard you try you can never win. Just b/c the NFL lets the Patriots cheat and win doesn't mean you (the Cleveland Browns) shouldn't keep trying.

then what would your solutions be to this problem? ya can't really ban em cause they will return under a different guise, we don't know how complex the exploit is if there even is one for if there is one and it is a super complex one it could take a long time for it to untangle years even that's how complex coding can be. but back to the question at hand what would you do in this instance apart from a vague post?
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    The suspected exploit is that they move multiple fleet members through the squad. In this case, they would join the squad every time they collected/sent a mission and then leave it. This would have the net effect of adding all the earned points to the squad as well as adding the points to the squad leader (for their shared character).

This could also explain why their squad leader was significantly higher.
  • Options
    The suspected exploit is that they move multiple fleet members through the squad. In this case, they would join the squad every time they collected/sent a mission and then leave it. This would have the net effect of adding all the earned points to the squad as well as adding the points to the squad leader (for their shared character).

This could also explain why their squad leader was significantly higher.

Wow. :/
  • Options
    Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭
    that sound easy enough to reproduce the problem then would be what is causing this?
  • Options

then what would your solutions be to this problem? ya can't really ban em cause they will return under a different guise, we don't know how complex the exploit is if there even is one for if there is one and it is a super complex one it could take a long time for it to untangle years even that's how complex coding can be. but back to the question at hand what would you do in this instance apart from a vague post?

If the exploit was super complex, I would agree with you. Sadly, it's not and a simple rule such as, you can't join more than one fleet per event (or making fleets static save leader changes) would go a long way to addressing the issue.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options

There's an easy or at least obvious fix, which has already been suggested once in this thread, do the same as for Starbases, add a 24 hrs cooldown after joining a squad before your points start adding towards your new squad total and squad leader's points. The fact that DB did implement this for Starbases in the first place suggests to me they are well aware of this exploit.
    [9RS | Combs] Kilana
    9RS fleet is recruiting, PM me for more information!
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    This only affects squad rewards of replicator rations and some credits which we get lots of already in voyages. Seems like the big thing you want is bragging rights which you still have if they are using an exploit.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This only affects squad rewards of replicator rations and some credits which we get lots of already in voyages. Seems like the big thing you want is bragging rights which you still have if they are using an exploit.

Unlike doing this in galaxy events, in faction this impacts individual rewards because of the shared crew points for squad leader.

• Options
    Even if this was what this fleet did, and i'm not at all convinced this was the case, since the numbers looked like they added up (see my post above) how is this an exploit? It looks like a perfectly legitimate strategy, since that is exactly how the squadron system is set up, and I have seen multiple posts of this kind with no action from DB.

Also, I assume you guys are implying that the fleet in question got people to jump into the squadron at the end of their shuttles every 3 hours, turn in their shuttles, start new shuttles, and jump out. Which begs the question, why doesn't OP's fleet, or any other fleet do the same thing? I would imagine a fleet as well known as theirs has the tactical nous to organize their members to do this, and I would like to see them prove that it can be done. Otherwise, this entire post just looks like a bunch of people whining about a strategy that they either do not understand, or are not willing to implement.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Even if this was what this fleet did, and i'm not at all convinced this was the case, since the numbers looked like they added up (see my post above) how is this an exploit? It looks like a perfectly legitimate strategy, since that is exactly how the squadron system is set up, and I have seen multiple posts of this kind with no action from DB.

Also, I assume you guys are implying that the fleet in question got people to jump into the squadron at the end of their shuttles every 3 hours, turn in their shuttles, start new shuttles, and jump out. Which begs the question, why doesn't OP's fleet, or any other fleet do the same thing? I would imagine a fleet as well known as theirs has the tactical nous to organize their members to do this, and I would like to see them prove that it can be done. Otherwise, this entire post just looks like a bunch of people whining about a strategy that they either do not understand, or are not willing to implement.

As DB keeps deleting the threads where this is discussed in detail, I take that as tacit acknowledgement that they consider this an exploit. And though I cannot speak to this instance it has been validated several times that this is very possible and has been done.

• Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

If the exploit works in shuttle events, this is actually not true anymore. If >4 people can use the shared crew, then, in addition to the squad points the people going in-and-out provide, the leader will ALSO be receiving individual points as well for those shuttle successes using the shared crew.
  • Options
    For the squad to win multiple fleet members have to sacrifice squad rewards to make it happen. From one point of view this could be seen as the most sincere form of fleet loyalty. Then you realize squad rewards aren't really that much of big a deal to these people.
    This exploit [ call it what it is ] in no way supports a true competitive structure between squads. It's an exploit that DB has ignored for the simple fact that the players involved organizing these efforts are some of the largest spenders in the game. That's it. That simple.
    eXo | Z•A•P•P
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z-A-P-P wrote: »
    For the squad to win multiple fleet members have to sacrifice squad rewards to make it happen. From one point of view this could be seen as the most sincere form of fleet loyalty. Then you realize squad rewards aren't really that much of big a deal to these people.
    This exploit [ call it what it is ] in no way supports a true competitive structure between squads. It's an exploit that DB has ignored for the simple fact that the players involved organizing these efforts are some of the largest spenders in the game. That's it. That simple.

Though to be fair, some of the harshest (albeit polite) critics are also some of the largest spenders in the game.
  • Options
    I will address this as a member of the squad who won the last galaxy event at the end of the mega event. We were aware of the exploit and were concerned about someone using it against us. We decided that we would rather win it fairly or lose. Our squad members finished #2, #5, #8, #39, and #78. I have pics to prove all of our scores other than the last. Just our top 4 scores would have won the event as a squad by almost 3 million pts. We had several other fleet members that finished in the top 50. While it takes planing and effort it is definately possible to still win events without using the exploit. It just takes real teamwork. LLAP.