Home The Bridge

Should this deal be fixed?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
The VIP looks like it should be 1,250. And it's 40% more than the $20 standard purchase. So you have to spend 25% more to get 40% more dilithium. I think if they fixed some numbers, this might sell a bit more.

2of7c4dm8p36.png
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• /SSR/ Tichy/SSR/ Tichy ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So far it seems like DB doesn't want to discuss deals, as in take them how they are or don't.

For example I fail to see a 400% value here, just an offer that exceeeds even A+ rated games with all bells and whistles for a slim chance to get some legendaries*:
    q9a9nl9ecau5.png

*1,27% chance
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far it seems like DB doesn't want to discuss deals, as in take them how they are or don't.

For example I fail to see a 400% value here, just an offer that exceeeds even A+ rated games with all bells and whistles for a slim chance to get some legendaries*:
    q9a9nl9ecau5.png

*1,27% chance

Fear not. Someone will be along to illustrate the exact math very soon. I got this today too. For $100. Bought it as I need the honor

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    They value everything at the base purchase price. So 20k DIL + whatever it costs to buy 5k chrons.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

q9a9nl9ecau5.png

*1,27% chance

Fear not. Someone will be along to illustrate the exact math very soon. I got this today too. For $100. Bought it as I need the honor

I’ll be that guy:

-25 packs normally valued at 650 dil = 16,250 dil in 10x premium packs
    -4,000 additional dil straight up
    -20,250 total dil; at the best rate of 8,200 dil per $100, that would normally cost about $246 by itself (real cost would be $250 for two 8200-dil piles and one 4000-dil pile)
    -5,000 chrons at $10 each (as per the special deals available during Galaxy and Skirmish events) is another $50
    -total cash cost to get these items is $300

If they charge $100 US for it, this math only works out to a 300% value. Even if you use the worst rate of exchange for dil ($5/330) that’s about a 350% value boost. Less if this is a $125 deal and not $100 (105 euros currently works out to $117 US).

If you use the dil price for chronitons (50 chrons per 150 dil), you’d need to drop 15,000 dil (another $200) to get the 5,000 chrons; at 35,250 total dil, you would spend $400 on 8200-piles and need 2,450 dil already on hand to equal a 400% value. Or you’d have to spend another $40-50 dollars on smaller dil piles and the savings would then work out to up to 450%.

It all depends on what valuation DB chooses for dil and for chronitons. Without exact figures, it all looks like Enron Math to us.
    4,000 did is $50
    5000 chrons (going by the $10 deal during Galaxy events) is $40
    25 10x pulls is 16,250 dip which is $200
    So technically you get very close to $290 worth of stuff for $100.
    I’m not the best mathematician but that looks like a nearly 300% value
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    4,000 did is $50

You can't count the chrons as "going by the $10 deal during Galaxy events". That's like saying 25 10x pulls going by the $10 for 10 deal is $25. Dirk Gunderson has the math above.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep waiting for the $50 worth of dilithium for $25 deal but it does not come back. :( Also wondering where the next set of Prisoner and Interrogator discount packs comes. Tomorrow maybe?
    Let’s fly!
    AviTrek wrote: »
    4,000 did is $50

You can't count the chrons as "going by the $10 deal during Galaxy events". That's like saying 25 10x pulls going by the $10 for 10 deal is $25. Dirk Gunderson has the math above.[/quote}

Yes I knew I would be corrected. He must have been typing as I was
    edited April 2019
    The 50 chrons for 150 dil escalates the more you buy so you can’t go by that either. So what do we go by @AviTrek ?
    edited April 2019
    The 50 chrons for 150 dil escalates the more you buy so you can’t go by that either. So what do we go by @AviTrek ?

I did not know that...it’s been years since the one or two times I ever got that desperate for chrons. I’ll leave it at “Enron Math.” :smile:

Edit: for what it’s worth, the math doesn’t even work out on a deal without chrons:

0gmbx1bdgo4u.png

30 packs @ 650 dil plus 1500 dil equals 21,000 dil total. Compared to the value of the $100 dil pile, that’s over 500% increased value, not 400%, and only goes up from there with other dil exchange rates.

If we set the pack cost at its usual 650 dil, there would need to be a 20,000 dil pile for $200 entry in the time portal as the baseline for the value increase to be 400%.

If we set the dil/$ exchange rate at 82 (from the Best Value pile), DB would need to value packs at about 500 dil instead of 650 for the value increase to be about 400%.

Or someone biffed the value increase number on the deal listings.

I did not know that...it’s been years since the one or two times I ever got that desperate for chrons. I’ll leave it at “Enron Math.” :smile:

It’s been a long time for me too. I know credits are 10 the first time, 20 the next few times, 40 after that and so on. Don’t remember the chron escalation though

• Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's going on with that exchange rate? A Euro should be worth more than a dollar, not less.

As for percentages, it's easy to fudge them to say almost anything by adding or subtracting at the right point. It just depends how you do the "maths".

q9a9nl9ecau5.png

*1,27% chance

• WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The VIP looks like it should be 1,250. And it's 40% more than the $20 standard purchase. So you have to spend 25% more to get 40% more dilithium. I think if they fixed some numbers, this might sell a bit more.

2of7c4dm8p36.png

Yout right. This should be the $19.99

It's amazing how the $9.99 ship pack that includes 1000 dil. is the better offer.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    The VIP works out on all those other deals. That's the part that bothers me. The VIP is pretty consistent in all purchaces. That's what rubs me the wrong way.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So far it seems like DB doesn't want to discuss deals

I can second this. I've been pretty outspoken about my desire to receive/purchase the five 4* citation offer that was floating around several months ago, going so far as to directly ask for it multiple times on twitter. I finally got a reply as I was getting quite obnoxious about it, but the reply essentially amounted to "we're not going to talk about this." Message received, I've left it alone since (although seriously, people will buy that!)

My offer today is:

dfhtqnov4kfx.png

Honestly, I'd consider it but I'm once again up against the crew slots wall, so I really cannot justify it.

• [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    What's going on with that exchange rate? A Euro should be worth more than a dollar, not less.

Euro prices include taxes, US prices don't. At least that's my guess..
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the $10 dilithium overload deal last week. It had the right dilithium and VIP ratios. I don't think think it's too much to ask to get the right VIP, even if they don't want to change the dilithium. (Though I think they should.) And whoever asked about the next Prisoner/Interrogator packs - they came out on Wednesday last week. I look for that to happen again.
    Farewell 🖖
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be good if each week we were given three deals and we could choose the one we want. Or just let us have the ones we would buy. I have some money to spend but they wont give me the $50 dil for $25 deal I want. I do not want ship schematics. I do not want chrons. I do not want random portal pulls.
    Let’s fly!
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Euro prices include taxes, US prices don't. At least that's my guess..

That's it. And when European players see price differences between Apple/Android/Facebook/Steam that's because some charge VAT and others don't.
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, let me get this straight...
    In the USA they give you a price, you agree to that price and then they add tax afterwards?
    So you don't see the real price until you actually come to pay?

That's nuts....
  • HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you buy goods or services in the EU, you have to be clearly informed about the total price, including all taxes and additional charges. Each European country has its own tax rate, varying from 17-27%.

As compared to the US, EU taxes are higher. The US uses state and local "sales taxes" and the EU uses "value added taxes" (VAT) for consumer purchases. In the US, sales tax isn't included in the price. There is no national sales tax, and tax is usually only added if you live in the same state as the company selling the goods.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
    Wait, let me get this straight...
    In the USA they give you a price, you agree to that price and then they add tax afterwards?
    So you don't see the real price until you actually come to pay?

That's nuts....

Yes. And I have a defunct email address linked to my STT account so I don’t even see what the final cost is cuz I don’t get the emailed receipt

• KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    It's not tax. I pay the equivalent in Swedish krona. If the deal is $10, I pay 100:-. They're not bothering with exchange rates.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katla wrote: »
    It's not tax. I pay the equivalent in Swedish krona. If the deal is $10, I pay 100:-. They're not bothering with exchange rates.

Unless you are paying 10 krona, they are using an exchange rate. 10:1 is just as much a rate as 9.237:1.

DB doesn't determine the non-dollar prices. The platforms determine the exchange rate and only change them every so often when they have shifted enough to need a re-adjustment.
    Displaying US taxes with each purchase would require a level of localization that would be a giant pain. Some states have no sales tax and the rest run from 4-7%, though there are sometimes additional local taxes on specific kinds of goods and services. This is handled at least for iOS customers on the back end by Apple, who charges appropriate taxes based on the mailing address associated with the linked credit/debit card. To pull that information forward for every user based on location data, when literally every user of the game has a calculator on their phone or computer to work out the math on their own if they really needed to (24.99*1.055 is not challenging in the slightest), would be a phenomenal waste of resources.
    Cook county, the most populous county in the country, has a 10% tax. I live in the next county over, Will, and the difference is ridiculous. Some things are really brutal. A pack of cigarettes is 7.50 in Will, 12.50 in Cook. Gas is nearly $1 more a gallon in Cook.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Displaying US taxes with each purchase would require a level of localization that would be a giant pain. Some states have no sales tax and the rest run from 4-7%, though there are sometimes additional local taxes on specific kinds of goods and services. This is handled at least for iOS customers on the back end by Apple, who charges appropriate taxes based on the mailing address associated with the linked credit/debit card. To pull that information forward for every user based on location data, when literally every user of the game has a calculator on their phone or computer to work out the math on their own if they really needed to (24.99*1.055 is not challenging in the slightest), would be a phenomenal waste of resources.

It would be trivial for iOS/Android to provide the API and then for STT to use it to display it in the game. But it would be different from how US customers shop everywhere else. When you go to a store and pick up a product it doesn't display the tax, you just know to expect to pay an extra x% on top of it and do the mental math. When you go to Amazon to buy something the initial product page doesn't display the tax. It's only when you go to checkout that you see the final cost after tax. The same is true for STT. When you click the deal you only see the base price, but when you enter the Apple/Android window for checkout you see the additional sales tax added.

Although it should be noted, in a lot of states there are still no sales taxes charged for digital purchases when the company is out of state. I just checked my order history and none of my purchases include sales tax.
    When I was getting the receipt, all of them had tax but that is typical Illinois
    When I was getting the receipt, all of them had tax but that is typical Illinois

Let me just say, Illinois is the worst.

Signed,
    Man from Wisconsin

Let me just say, Illinois is the worst.

Signed,
    Man from Wisconsin

It’s god awful. It’s run by idiots, extremely political, and the state is broke.