Why does Leland have Trill spots?

Bri Bri ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in The Bridge
Is this him being “undercover”? as far as I’m aware he’s humanuz4w16m5no1m.jpeg
jp1atb40afx9.jpeg

Best Answers

Answers

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was mentioned in the webisode where he recruits Georgiou.

EDIT: it was actually a deleted scene from the season 1 finale.

Here is the link to the scene
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/03/reflections-on-discoverys-first-season-and-secrets-of-those-mysterious-black-badges-revealed-at-wondercon/

This. And his spots fooled Lippy for all of zero seconds!!!!!!
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe he was supposed to be Trill in that original scene, but then they backed off and just made him human. He was released in the game just before season 2 began IIRC, so DB might not have known of the change - I don't think any of the promo stills for season 2 really featured him.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    I believe he was supposed to be Trill in that original scene, but then they backed off and just made him human. He was released in the game just before season 2 began IIRC, so DB might not have known of the change - I don't think any of the promo stills for season 2 really featured him.
    The whole point was that he is Section 31, a spy agency. How do you show that better than have him disguised as a Trill. Remember too that Leland was originally released a while ago in a Tuesday pack.
    Let’s fly!
    Yep but Georgiou only knew cause she is wicked smart and knew much about every species.
    Let’s fly!
    Yep but Georgiou only knew cause she is wicked smart and knew much about every species.

He didn't walk like a Trill, wasn't it?

On the image in game, was it added to the game before we ever saw him in the new season? If so, the main reference footage would have been from season one finale. And that a deleted scene. Maybe the artist thought his cover to travel under was always a Trill, also s a possibility. If he was added in-game before appearing season two.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Covert Operative Leland was added all the way back on 30 October 2018, well ahead of his first "real" appearance in "Point of Light" (31 January 2019). I thought the artwork including the bogus Trill spots worked really well as a tease.
    Uebermind wrote: »
    Because Star Trek Discovery is written by buffoons who simply mash up Star Trek elements haphazardly, without any care for the universe they're defiling.

We get it. You don't like the show. No need to spam beyond this point.
  • <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    Uebermind wrote: »
    Because Star Trek Discovery is written by buffoons who simply mash up Star Trek elements haphazardly, without any care for the universe they're defiling.

Isn't that the truth. This must be what Star Wars fans have felt like on a daily basis for the last few decades.
  • Uebermind wrote: »

That is why I hate this show. It is simply not Star Trek. They have defiled 53 years worth of history in one single show. To say that it is canon is simply egregious, when it is not.
    Isn't that the truth. This must be what Star Wars fans have felt like on a daily basis for the last few decades.

That's because J.J. Abrams and Alex Kurtzman are friends. After all, Kurtzman's company Secret Hideout spawned from Abrams's Bad Robot company.

Don't know why Abrams ever worked on "Star Trek" if he didn't understand it. His "Star Wars" hasn't been all that good and I doubt Episode IX will be any good either.

• Because of course you need to tie in original stuff when you do a spoof. How about borg? Maybe trill? good thing he didn't have Ferengi ears....
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if his art has Trill spots for him disguising himself as Trill, shouldn’t he have the [Trill] trait? Other racially disguised characters have gotten those racial traits in the past, e.g. [Romulan] Romulan Picard, Romulan Data, Romulan Kirk, & Rakal Troi. [Ferengi] Grand Proxy Neelix. [Vulcan, Mintakan] Mintakan Riker & Mintakan Troi. [Suliban] Suliban Reed.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • No doubt that there will be a variation that includes the "trill" trait.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    People,

This doesn’t need to be made into a big
    DSC/JJ Trek/Canon debate.

Leland, with Trill spots, is not canon (was not seen onscreen, other than a deleted scene), but that doesn’t mean he can’t appear in game. We have plenty of precedent here.

He is not a Timelines exclusive
    He is not canon
    He isn’t trill (just disguised)
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Covert Operative Leland is already missing traits such as [Federation], and [Starfleet]. Because after all, Section 31 is a branch of Starfleet intelligence and it is obvious Leland is a Federation citizen. As for [Trill] because his undercover design explicitly uses Trill morphology such as the spots, I say he deserves [Trill] as a trait, doesn’t matter whether this scene aired or not, or whether this version of him is canon or not.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
    edited April 2019
    People,

This doesn’t need to be made into a big
    DSC/JJ Trek/Canon debate.

Leland, with Trill spots, is not canon (was not seen onscreen, other than a deleted scene), but that doesn’t mean he can’t appear in game. We have plenty of precedent here.

He is not a Timelines exclusive
    He is not canon
    He isn’t trill (just disguised)

He is canon. I get what you are saying that that scene was deleted but Georgiou refers to his spots in a season 2 ep firmly establishing it. I think the deleted scene was also in the dvd as a special feature and the execs of the show told people to watch the deleted scene so they certainly believe it to be canon.
    Let’s fly!
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the actual scene in case anyone hasn't seen it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGRJ4CvOvhc
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Covert Operative Leland is already missing traits such as [Federation], and [Starfleet]. Because after all, Section 31 is a branch of Starfleet intelligence and it is obvious Leland is a Federation citizen. As for [Trill] because his undercover design explicitly uses Trill morphology such as the spots, I say he deserves [Trill] as a trait, doesn’t matter whether this scene aired or not, or whether this version of him is canon or not.

Agreed. Covert Operative Leland should have the Trill trait. Also, it's a nice bit of attention to detail that Georgiou establishes that Leland is with the Federation once he reveals that he's not Trill--consistent with why Jadzia had to obscure her spots while aboard the Enterprise a decade later. So while we're at it, 1701 Jadzia Dax should have her Human trait restored.

Agreed. Covert Operative Leland should have the Trill trait. Also, it's a nice bit of attention to detail that Georgiou establishes that Leland is with the Federation once he reveals that he's not Trill--consistent with why Jadzia had to obscure her spots while aboard the Enterprise a decade later. So while we're at it, 1701 Jadzia Dax should have her Human trait restored.

Unfortunately, it always easier to get a Trait removed, then put there when it belongs there.

We are still waiting for "Klingon" on the most Klingon Non-Klingon dressing as a Klingon, after all.....

{And it was supposed to be coming!!!!!!}