Home The Bridge

How good is Degra?

eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone! We just hit the phase change, so I figure this is as good a time to ask as any - just how good is Degra for you?

Screenshot-20190504-015452-Star-Trek.jpg

There's been a lot of talk about older 5* not being as useful anymore since the stats on newer ones are so much higher, but I've been playing this game since almost the beginning, have all of the mega-event characters at 4/5, and somehow Degra still winds up as my very best SCI

Screenshot-20190504-015624-Star-Trek.jpg

AND ENG

Screenshot-20190504-015640-Star-Trek.jpg

I did have to buy several citations for him over the past year, but he has been more than worth it, and I think he is proof that if you have patience with this game, even old guys like him will help you out.

SO - what do you think of Degra?

How good is Degra? 76 votes

I have Degra 5/5 already and he's awesome
28%
ADM Fletcher [ET]Jim RaynorEndgame BluesAntasileXo | RajiMoogie's Favorite SoupKitchen Riker(HGH)Apollo=GBP= Bearguest_757423444811776Torias327ChaoticDNAWebberoniSecret JourneyNavarch Captain SushiLegate Damar RiriaTheComedian[GSA] bSeRk 22 votes
Eh, I have better
25%
Captain_Who[KM]VidemSabine of AthensRocpileIvanstoneLady GaghgaghJim SteeleHungry Dog DDM(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]RaraRacingOdo MarmarosaJax2UFCranky (SC) PompeyMagnusIshmael MarxUluruAce_RimmerThe Notorious B.O.P.ST_Dreadnought 19 votes
I have him/will get him at 1/5 and plan to cite him up
3%
eXo | das411guest_1037833704361987eXo | RodenberryPie 3 votes
Just another 1/5
22%
WaldoMagNS111111RENTAN(10F)GeekgirlTcalYateballTP:ToPetter ~SE~PrimusAutomaton_2000Average Guy[ISA] Big McLargeHugeAldudeDoug Jones' LockerPrime LorcaBylo BandProontGezesh RahlCaptain_Romo83 17 votes
I don't have him yet, still pushing during galaxy phase
17%
HaBlackDavideBookstytlalkapuDirk Gunderson[10F] gobolts07 KarthonMe [AUS]Sisko's Self-Sealing Stembolaya [FF]Veterinary PhloxMadman1Uhtred of Bebbanburgguest_691165260378113 13 votes
Who's Degra?
2%
RennJaxoJoeSage 2 2 votes

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my 5/5 Degra. He rocks in shuttles and he is very good in voyages when you have a eng-sci combo. He is very high in both and has astrophysicist trait which is there frequently.
    Let’s fly!
  • Just another 1/5
    None of these options fit me. I don’t have him and will be happy to have him, but I will not cite him. Strong ENG/SCI will definitely have a place on my roster, but he doesn’t beat out a lot of other options in line for my citations.
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta ask, why do you have Ru'afo split? Surely he would serve you better as a 4/5?
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta ask, why do you have Ru'afo split? Surely he would serve you better as a 4/5?

because back when we got him, they were my first and 2nd best ENG...and i haven't needed to free up a slot since then :)
    edited May 2019
    Degra has been crushing this event and he is also good in arena. He is not quite as good as Da Vinci for Voyages since he missed he third skill but still quite a good workhorse. Both eng and sci are very good and almost equal so you can have him strong for either. All the event pics are just after I got a bonus chart item so there is no extra bonus from not getting a special item. Those are his pure numbers.
    gfq1unh063iq.png
    o5m87pk3imaz.png
    h1251nih4td7.png
    aqp50bt6jnse.png
    Let’s fly!
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    I currently have him at 2/5 (and will be 3/5 by tomorrow). He's currently the 19th best ENG an 24th best SCI on my active roster. Others in the vault beat him too. I'm not saying he's not a solid card, and obviously I don't have as many stars on him as I do on some other cards, but he's just another guy on my roster right now.
  • Jax2UFJax2UF ✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    My immortal Degra is my 3rd best Engineer and 7th best Science. My soon to be 3/5 FE Degra is a welcome addition to my crew as well. Both came in handy for phase 1 and the immortal is crushing phase two with 98% Rare Reward chance.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    His best feature is that he's part of three collections. His double base skills are fine but he'll invariably be beat out by just about any bonus crew. He's also not in the top 10 list for either SCI or ENG base. I have him at 5/5 and he rarely gets used in events.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just another 1/5
    On regular shuttles, you do not want to use your best crew. Just stick with superrare at around 900 base stat.

For voyages I have a lot of other options. I do not need to have Degra 5/5 for SCI ENG. Because I get enough with all my crew in SCI ENG. one does not need to have crew with both SCI and ENG though it it hard to avoid. Many top ENG voyage crew have SCI. So since ENG is the weaker one you use your top crew. Then you get side benefit of the SCI that they have.

Maybe if one is trying to get to a 10 hour voyage Degra may be useful. I do not know. Until I can get there and not have to refill, I will not find out. All my voyages stop at 8 hours. If I get there and have higher than 2000 AM I might give it a try. Has not happened yet, even in stronger stat combos. Did get to 8 hour with over 1500 AM but right away I got three failures and decided just to return. RNG was not with me at that moment of pushing the 8 hour mark. The longer you go into the voyage the more likely every hazard is a failure.
    Don't forget that the Degra event keeps repeating. Besides Dark Ages McCoy I cannot think of another legendary that has repeated as much. Hold onto Degra and maybe his event will continue to repeat and you can get more stars for him.
    Let’s fly!
  • Eh, I have better
    Skin of evil is very useful SCI at 5/5*
  • ST_DreadnoughtST_Dreadnought ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Eh, I have better
    CB4_V'ger wrote: »
    Skin of evil is very useful SCI at 5/5*

Surak and Dr Ann Muhall also good SCI
    RAF O'Brien, Etana Jol & Ru'afo good ENG stats
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    I have better SCI in characters like Assimilated Janeway, Leo da Vinci, Ilia, and better ENG in characters like Ru’afo and Captain Lorian. But Degra is indeed awesome, I find him super useful in the arena or skirmishes.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    He’s great, use him every day including ship battles.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Degra has been crushing this event and he is also good in arena. He is not quite as good as Da Vinci for Voyages since he missed he third skill but still quite a good workhorse. Both eng and sci are very good and almost equal so you can have him strong for either. All the event pics are just after I got a bonus chart item so there is no extra bonus from not getting a special item. Those are his pure numbers.
    gfq1unh063iq.png
    o5m87pk3imaz.png
    h1251nih4td7.png
    aqp50bt6jnse.png

He should have gotten COM as the tertiary skill. He was a senior official, a high ranking member on the council of his people, and was in command of the ships he worked with.
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the feedback (so far) everyone - isn't it interesting how we can all look at the exact same thing and see something different? :)
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just another 1/5
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    gfq1unh063iq.png
    o5m87pk3imaz.png
    h1251nih4td7.png
    aqp50bt6jnse.png

He should have gotten COM as the tertiary skill. He was a senior official, a high ranking member on the council of his people, and was in command of the ships he worked with.

You know you are right.
    Just does not make sense. He is one of the leaders. But his SCI and ENG stats are where they should be. If he would have gotten a third stat of CMD he probably would be top in voyages.

@das411
    As far as seeing differently. It really comes to the number of fuse levels. Maybe if one has him 4/5 he is a top pick for a citation.

I am not one who cites a 4/5. (Unless I do it for preparation for an event or for a megaevent crew)
    Didnt the Reptilian leader get Degra kicked from the Council?
    Let’s fly!
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have him 5/5 and still find him useful after all this time, just not quite as useful as he once was. He still makes shuttles quite often when better crew are on voyages. Where he once was my best ENG and SCI bases he's fallen to 4th best ENG and 6th best SCI.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just another 1/5
    somehow Degra still winds up as my very best SCI

Because he has more stars. If you had invested them in da Vinci or Surak instead, you would have gained ~20% more base and voyage power as well as about triple the event count.
    I love my 5/5 Degra. He rocks in shuttles and he is very good in voyages when you have a eng-sci combo. He is very high in both and has astrophysicist trait which is there frequently.

Trait AM adds about a minute to your voyage length without refreshes. Using an average 3-skill crew with an equivalent star count and no trait match would be more valuable in most circumstances.
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Maybe if one is trying to get to a 10 hour voyage Degra may be useful.

He would not be. The 600-700 stats he's missing compared to an average 3-skill crew will cause early AM failures and handicap the run. There are very few skill pairings where 2-skill crew should be on voyages for an established roster and ENG/SCI is not one of them as it's the most common skill pair among legendary crew outside of CMD/DIP/SEC permutations.

edit: you can make 10hr runs with one or two 2-skillers, but they are clearly worse than equivalent 3-skill crew no matter the trait matching or featured skill stacking. The ancillary skills matter for long voyages. Not everyone has the luxury of great voyagers, but it should be a consideration when building your roster.
    Don't forget that the Degra event keeps repeating. Besides Dark Ages McCoy I cannot think of another legendary that has repeated as much. Hold onto Degra and maybe his event will continue to repeat and you can get more stars for him.

"Dark Ages" McCoy (4), the twelve megas (4), 1701 Sisko (3), Arachnia Janeway (3), Frank Hollander (3), Grand Nagus Zek (3), 23rd Century Martok (2), Agent Janeway (2), Aviator Yar (2), Captain La Forge (2), Captain Morgan Bateson (2), Captain Nog (2), Dancing Uhura (2), Delta Flyer Paris (2), Detective Data (2), Disguised Kira (2), Doctor Chaotica (2), Dr. Soong (2), Garak, Elim Garak (2), General Chang (2), Goddess of Empathy Troi (2), Kal-if-fee Kirk (2), Mirror Kirk (2), Mirror T'pol (2), Obsidian Order Garak (2), Pah-wraith Cult Dukat (2), RAF Miles O'Brien (2), Rogue Kai Winn (2), Scientist Degra (2).

For those of you in awe of his Galaxy crafting prowess this weekend, keep in mind that he gets a 10x boost over normal crew. That's part of how DB encourages purchasing new crew - 'Look at how great they perform in this circumstance tailor made for them!' Judging an immortal crew with a 10x stat bonus in an event with trait bonuses tailored to them is Instagram model levels of warped reality.

There are ~25 crew with better ENG (two megas), ~30 with better SCI (one mega) and about two hundred who are better on voyages and/or catch event bonuses more frequently. He is fine for shuttles and has a very unique ship ability which I'd be happy to snag this weekend if you can.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    Degra was my first ever FEd 5* crew (I'd like to say late 2016, but am not 100% sure) ... as a 1/5 he was critical for all aspects of the game for me back then ... I even used to send him into the Gauntlet when that first started up and I was sending crew like Command Wrap Kirk in ...

Now he's a 2/5 that never gets used anywhere ... later today he'll be 3/5 and I doubt he'll see much use.
    - He's currently 11th SCI base for active crew on my roster.
    - He's currently 8th ENG base for active crew on my roster.
    As a 3/5 that won't change too much.

Yes, he's be stellar on my roster as a 5/5 ... but I don't have easy access to resources to push him to that ... I'd prefer to add stars to the likes of Surak, Etana, Ru'afo, RAF O'Brien ... and I did, as those four are immortal on my crew and all 4 are used constantly, over just one crew being used all the time.
    If I see Degra in a behold I'll add stars because I really do want to immortalise him due to sentimental purposes, but not going to cite him up.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    Thanks for all the feedback (so far) everyone - isn't it interesting how we can all look at the exact same thing and see something different? :)

What's funny to me is that you think we're looking at the exact same thing ...

- I'm looking at a rose bud that will one day turn into a really nice flower.
    - You're looking at a flower in full bloom.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    You’re missing a few options in your poll.

I have had him immortalised for a long while now. He started off great, but now is just good. I have more immortalised legendaries now and there have been other newer ones that surpass him too.
  • My answer isn't in the poll. I'm getting my 3rd copy of him in hopes of some day FFing him for the collections. He probably has to be 3 - 4 stars to be get shuttle spots and would probably have to be 5/5 to even be considered for an Eng/Sci voyage.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt the Reptilian leader get Degra kicked from the Council?

Degra was never kicked off the council. The reptilians were always threatening to do things without the councils approval blah, blah, blah, but Dolim eventually killed Degra.

• AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Degra used to be an awesome card, and he's still pretty good. And on the plus side, he's a central character with an interesting story in the Xindi arc from Enterprise.
  • ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    5/5 here, cited twice IIRC and a few mediocre beholds got him up to 5 long before the event to snag some collection bonuses.

He's good for the arena and shuttles. Occasionally he's viable on a voyage, but not often.
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Ace_RimmerAce_Rimmer ✭✭✭
    Eh, I have better
    Got him 5/5 and he gets on the odd shuttle. I doesn't even get on the science/engineering voyage.When you have hundreds of crew he isn't that great. early on he is useful though.
    somehow Degra still winds up as my very best SCI

Because he has more stars. If you had invested them in da Vinci or Surak instead, you would have gained ~20% more base and voyage power as well as about triple the event count.

Trait AM adds about a minute to your voyage length without refreshes. Using an average 3-skill crew with an equivalent star count and no trait match would be more valuable in most circumstances.
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Maybe if one is trying to get to a 10 hour voyage Degra may be useful.

He would not be. The 600-700 stats he's missing compared to an average 3-skill crew will cause early AM failures and handicap the run. There are very few skill pairings where 2-skill crew should be on voyages for an established roster and ENG/SCI is not one of them as it's the most common skill pair among legendary crew outside of CMD/DIP/SEC permutations.

edit: you can make 10hr runs with one or two 2-skillers, but they are clearly worse than equivalent 3-skill crew no matter the trait matching or featured skill stacking. The ancillary skills matter for long voyages. Not everyone has the luxury of great voyagers, but it should be a consideration when building your roster.

"Dark Ages" McCoy (4), the twelve megas (4), 1701 Sisko (3), Arachnia Janeway (3), Frank Hollander (3), Grand Nagus Zek (3), 23rd Century Martok (2), Agent Janeway (2), Aviator Yar (2), Captain La Forge (2), Captain Morgan Bateson (2), Captain Nog (2), Dancing Uhura (2), Delta Flyer Paris (2), Detective Data (2), Disguised Kira (2), Doctor Chaotica (2), Dr. Soong (2), Garak, Elim Garak (2), General Chang (2), Goddess of Empathy Troi (2), Kal-if-fee Kirk (2), Mirror Kirk (2), Mirror T'pol (2), Obsidian Order Garak (2), Pah-wraith Cult Dukat (2), RAF Miles O'Brien (2), Rogue Kai Winn (2), Scientist Degra (2).

For those of you in awe of his Galaxy crafting prowess this weekend, keep in mind that he gets a 10x boost over normal crew. That's part of how DB encourages purchasing new crew - 'Look at how great they perform in this circumstance tailor made for them!' Judging an immortal crew with a 10x stat bonus in an event with trait bonuses tailored to them is Instagram model levels of warped reality.

There are ~25 crew with better ENG (two megas), ~30 with better SCI (one mega) and about two hundred who are better on voyages and/or catch event bonuses more frequently. He is fine for shuttles and has a very unique ship ability which I'd be happy to snag this weekend if you can.

With voyages you need multiple people for the primary and secondary skills. It isnt if he is better than all eng-sci people that exist in the game but if he is in the top 4 of a person's eng-sci crew. I never said cite him over Leo Da Vinci just that if you have him at 3 or 4 stars you should consider citing him up. I have gotten 10 hrs several times in eng-sci voyages with Degra in combo with Leo Da Vinci, Proto Barclay, Ruafo and others. It is true that you should not be so concerned with traits in voyages that you put in a subpar person over a much better person just because he/she has the trait. But if you ignore traits completely you are costing yourself a couple hundred points. Degra is good and matches astrophysicist trait which comes up frequently. Maybe you have many great eng and sci people that can match that trait. I only have three and sometimes they are needed for an event or another spot in the voyage. You said Degra has only been in two events. Seems like it has been more than that but I can find no proof on wiki to support that. I guess I got a couple of his extra stars in behold. Hopefully DB will make more Xindi. I still want an Avian Xindi. In conclusion, I like Degra. He is not top tier but certainly second tier and very useful all around workhorse, arena, voyage, shuttle. He is also in cryo collections. Definitely worth keeping and worth citing up if you have him at 4 stars, possibly citing up if you have him at 3 stars depending on your other crew and needs.
    Let’s fly!