Home The Bridge

"All Good Things..." Silver Anniversary Approaching

Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
For anyone who wants to feel old, the TNG series finale, "All Good Things..." premiered on 23 May 1994. It so happens that this year, that will be a Thursday. Y'know, the day that events begin. Sure be nice to get, say, a Skirmish introducing the Alternate Future Enterprise-D and Professor Data or Novelist La Forge. Just sayin'.

Comments

• GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the first things I can viscerally remember watching live on TV. The excitement of seeing the three-nacelle 1701-D for the first time, I'll never forget it. I even remember rushing to the kitchen on commercial breaks to take bites of my food, which I wasn't allowed to bring into the TV room!
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the first things I can viscerally remember watching live on TV. The excitement of seeing the three-nacelle 1701-D for the first time, I'll never forget it. I even remember rushing to the kitchen on commercial breaks to take bites of my food, which I wasn't allowed to bring into the TV room!

I remember the week before, when they ran the TNG Viewer's Choice Marathon. By far, the most exciting part of that entire bloc was the teaser for "All Good Things..." that featured at the end of the Journey's End special, which I taped and may or may not have rewound and watched a dozen times between then and the episode itself. Also, I'll spare anyone the hazy memory or Google search. The marathon consisted of, in the following airing order:

Journey's End
    "Relics"
    "The Inner Light"
    "Yesterday's Enterprise"
    "The Best of Both Worlds" Parts I & II
    Back then it was aired in syndication via local affiliates, who may or may not have aired the marathon the week before. My local affiliate did a "Super Borg Sunday" every year on the day of the Super Bowl.

I think I taped it too, actually! But later, during the scheduled repeat airing. Anyone else remember having to check the TV guide line by line? People today have it so easy.
    Back then it was aired in syndication via local affiliates, who may or may not have aired the marathon the week before. My local affiliate did a "Super Borg Sunday" every year on the day of the Super Bowl.

I think I taped it too, actually! But later, during the scheduled repeat airing. Anyone else remember having to check the TV guide line by line? People today have it so easy.

Here in the Louisville market, the NBC affiliate, WAVE, carried TNG. New episodes aired Saturday at 7:00. That marathon ran during the morning/afternoon on a Sunday, as I recall. There for awhile, TNG was all over WAVE. In addition to the current season, they ran reruns Monday through Friday at 4:00, another Friday evening at 8:00, I think?, one Saturday morning at 11:00, one after SNL at 1:30, and again Sunday morning in a 2-hour bloc with a TOS episode from 10-noon. It was pretty sweet.

And yes, I remember consulting TV Guide, and having to cross-reference the series title in the schedule grid with the synopsis list to identify which actual episode was going to air, and when. I don't miss the hassle, but I do miss the ritual.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was never a big fan of the three-nacelle Enterprise...it felt like the following conversation happened:

“Part of the episode takes place in the future, we have to make the Enterprise look different.”
    “What, like a hull color other than silvery gray or a multi-tone scheme? Maybe a different font for the letters and numbers? Differently colored or placed lights?”
    “Nah, those aren’t shocking enough.”
    “Maybe some hull modifications? There was the bar on the Reliant, the superstructure in the Nebula-class, and those long sensor pods on the New Orleans-class.”
    “I have a GREAT idea - how about another warp nacelle!”
    “Uh....where do we put it?”
    “Stick it wherever, I don’t care.”

I do really like the idea for a 4* USS Pasteur, however. And Professor Data? Yes, please.
    I was never a big fan of the three-nacelle Enterprise...it felt like the following conversation happened:

“Part of the episode takes place in the future, we have to make the Enterprise look different.”
    “What, like a hull color other than silvery gray or a multi-tone scheme? Maybe a different font for the letters and numbers? Differently colored or placed lights?”
    “Maybe some hull modifications? There was the bar on the Reliant, the superstructure in the Nebula-class, and those long sensor pods on the New Orleans-class.”

I do really like the idea for a 4* USS Pasteur, however. And Professor Data? Yes, please.

To be fair, they also added a really big laser cannon under the saucer.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, no one could have guessed they would destroy the Enterprise-D at that point. Plus a 3rd Nacelle doesn't even make sense from an engineering standpoint, so please DB, NO Alt Future Ent-D, Pasteur would be okay, or just drop the Prometheus, Phoenix, or Ent-C for us?!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...

Yeah, no one could have guessed they would destroy the Enterprise-D at that point. Plus a 3rd Nacelle doesn't even make sense from an engineering standpoint, so please DB, NO Alt Future Ent-D, Pasteur would be okay, or just drop the Prometheus, Phoenix, or Ent-C for us?!

The Prometheus, Phoenix, and Enterprise-C have nothing to do with "All Good Things...", though. And why are we still doing this thing of requesting something not be added to the game? Not getting/keeping/using something is perfectly doable. Use the schematics as replicator fuel. Or build it to level 1 and run it in the Arena unmanned just to watch it blow up out of spite.
    edited May 2019
    Guys, let's be rational. The "symmetrical nacelles" rule is just something Gene Roddenberry thought of. He also thought of putting the command bridge, with ALL of the senior officers, EXPOSED at the very top of the ship.

Assuming you create an oval spheroid (ovoid) warp bubble around the entire ship, it doesn't matter how many nacelles are inside to support it. Even one nacelle would be more than capable, if it generated enough power.

The gun was a bit much, though.

EDIT: And by that I mean the gun wasn't practical at all. Weapons like that can only be fired when you orient the entire ship to the exact direction of the target. Much better to use phaser strips and torpedoes that can fire in multiple directions.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone who wants to feel old, the TNG series finale, "All Good Things..." premiered on 23 May 1994. It so happens that this year, that will be a Thursday. Y'know, the day that events begin. Sure be nice to get, say, a Skirmish introducing the Alternate Future Enterprise-D and Professor Data or Novelist La Forge. Just sayin'.

And we were just celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the premiere of ST:TNG less than two years ago.

How time flies.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Zc8Co2H3w
    (A little PG-13, but fun)
    Intentionally Left Blank
    Flemming wrote: »

And we were just celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the premiere of ST:TNG less than two years ago.

How time flies.

Other upcoming milestone anniversaries this year:

5/8* Star Trek (reboot) 10th
    6/1 The Search for Spock 35th
    6/2 DS9 "What You Leave Behind" 20th
    6/9 The Final Frontier 30th
    11/18 Generations 25th
    12/7 The Motion Picture 40th

*World premiere was 4/7 at the Sydney Opera House; 5/8 was its wide release
    gobolts07 wrote: »
    Flemming wrote: »

How time flies.

Other upcoming milestone anniversaries this year:

5/8* Star Trek (reboot) 10th
    6/1 The Search for Spock 35th
    6/2 DS9 "What You Leave Behind" 20th
    6/9 The Final Frontier 30th
    11/18 Generations 25th
    12/7 The Motion Picture 40th

*World premiere was 4/7 at the Sydney Opera House; 5/8 was its wide release

So if I start watching TMP now it should be over by the time the 40th anniversary hits.

Provided you don't pause for more than four minutes, yes.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

The Prometheus, Phoenix, and Enterprise-C have nothing to do with "All Good Things...", though. And why are we still doing this thing of requesting something not be added to the game? Not getting/keeping/using something is perfectly doable. Use the schematics as replicator fuel. Or build it to level 1 and run it in the Arena unmanned just to watch it blow up out of spite.

Well...I was going to make a retort about the Pasteur not being in that episode either (I remembered just hearing about it), which is why I mentioned the other ships. I dragged out the BluRay and rewatched the entire thing. And, here it is, in all it's ugly bubbleness:

zmk00vskp7d0.jpg

But if we are going to get specific about stuff from that episode that we want, how about the Klingon Warships that attacked the Pasteur!

z6qnn3fwa9yb.jpg
    eaxerl1o4jmy.jpg
    yyxck0at3fup.jpg
    s9rj9djafeas.jpg

And I give you...Cambridge Professor Data!

p3e3wl9rn998.jpg
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not really an 'All Good Things' variant unless you think about it, but I'd really like to see a season one Picard, with the old no-collar uniform. I mean I like the collars, I think they look better - that's what TNG looks like to me - but those old uniforms tickle my nostalgia place. (Can I have nostalgia even though I wasn't there when they were current? Whatever.) The future stuff's cool and all, but it was the 'Encounter at Farpoint' bits of the episode that really wowed me, with literal-minded Data and O'Brien in his red one-piece and Tasha and all that.
    But if we are going to get specific about stuff from that episode that we want, how about the Klingon Warships that attacked the Pasteur!

I can totally get behind that! The studio model was slightly tweaked subsequently for use on DS9 as both Gowron's flagship in the Prime Universe and Regent Worf's in the Mirror one, with Worf's being considerably larger in in-story scale than the other incarnations of the design. And another slightly modified version turned up in the Alternate Future in VOY's "Endgame". I'd be down for any of these being added. Perhaps Gowron's or Worf's as a 5*, and other versions at lower rarities?
    Kaitee wrote: »
    It's not really an 'All Good Things' variant unless you think about it, but I'd really like to see a season one Picard, with the old no-collar uniform. I mean I like the collars, I think they look better - that's what TNG looks like to me - but those old uniforms tickle my nostalgia place. (Can I have nostalgia even though I wasn't there when they were current? Whatever.) The future stuff's cool and all, but it was the 'Encounter at Farpoint' bits of the episode that really wowed me, with literal-minded Data and O'Brien in his red one-piece and Tasha and all that.

I hate those uniforms. But I do share your adoration of those Back to the Future segments of "All Good Things...", especially the return of O'Brien. I remember knowing that Yar was going to be in it, but didn't find out until much later that he was, too. I got a kick out of that. I loved the little callback to his and Picard's throwaway bit of bonding over model ships from several years prior. Who'd have guessed that dude in a bit part only known as "Conn" would go on to become our beloved Chief?
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »

I hate those uniforms. But I do share your adoration of those Back to the Future segments of "All Good Things...", especially the return of O'Brien. I remember knowing that Yar was going to be in it, but didn't find out until much later that he was, too. I got a kick out of that. I loved the little callback to his and Picard's throwaway bit of bonding over model ships from several years prior. Who'd have guessed that dude in a bit part only known as "Conn" would go on to become our beloved Chief?

I also love catching the small set mistakes they missed in recreating the Farpoint scenes.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Three nacelles equals thrice the women for Riker... He has a rep to uphold. lol

t7a4ltocsbuk.jpeg
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...I was going to make a retort about the Pasteur not being in that episode either (I remembered just hearing about it), which is why I mentioned the other ships. I dragged out the BluRay and rewatched the entire thing. And, here it is, in all it's ugly bubbleness:

zmk00vskp7d0.jpg

z6qnn3fwa9yb.jpg
    eaxerl1o4jmy.jpg
    yyxck0at3fup.jpg
    s9rj9djafeas.jpg

And I give you...Cambridge Professor Data!

p3e3wl9rn998.jpg

A shame Star Trek Adversaries ended. They had all those ships in the game and they were awesome!
    Let’s fly!