Home The Bridge

Would you pay dilithium for alternate card art?

Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
I think it would be a cool option if some cards had alternate art to purchase.

Etana Jol is the character who first got me thinking about this. While her scene running around with Riker is certainly the more prominent, I think I'd like the card more if it depicted her in uniform instead. And it's not like we're likely to see a second Etana Jol.

It would also provide an option to spruce up older cards that would presumably pay for itself - art can be expensive.

Given how competitive the game can be, I could see a lot of people eschewing cosmetics, but personally I think it could have potential.
Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport

Comments

• ByloBand wrote: »
    Would I personally do this? No. Do I think it is a good idea? Yes.

I feel the same way, I haven't spent money in the past 6 months save the Campaign premium reward track, but it is a good idea non the less
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomalok
    Very much yes
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The other game I'm playing right now does something similar in that you can earn "threads" in most events as part of threshold & rank rewards and when you get enough of a specific toons threads you can build an alternate costume/outfit for them to wear.

Is it a fun idea? Yes, and I like it. Would I pay for such an option? No, not personally (maybe if it was a very small cost). It doesn't make me try any harder in events for that game either.

• KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love cosmetics (in games that is, real cosmetics, eh, more of a necessary chore), really anything that makes a game customisable, and yeah if it's a reasonable price and I like the variant art I would buy them, I just wonder if it'd look like a good deal from DB's point of view.

I mean the dilithium cost would have to be less than a whole new character, but from DB's point of view it is 'cheaper to make' than a new character? A character's just stats and art, and the stats are just numbers (oh and the license to use the likeness, but a bunch of 'new' characters are variants anyway, so that's not always a factor). I don't know what DB pays their artist(s) (given the way the art's been really nice lately, enough to keep them from slacking off I guess), but whatever it is, that same amount of work could make a wholly new variant, does it make sense to spend it on something players could get for much less dil/money? Presumably how the game works now is what DB thinks will get the best return on the effort that goes into new crew, it seems like cosmetic variants would just lessen the return for basically the same amount of effort.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the cost and it depends on whether DB would then put out bad art to get people to pay for the better art. I would only be interested if it gave me an avatar choice but people pay thousands of dilithium for a new card just for the avatar already. What I would like to see is an action card. So the card goes from sitting to standing, from pointing a phaser to shooting it, and that the card would change back and forth like the hologram decals on products.
    Let’s fly!
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    In general I wouldn’t object to alternative art however the Etana Jol example is not quite a good example; puns aside she has the undercover operative trait (quite a useful one), when she was in uniform, that variant if you like, was when her cover was blown and she was not actively an undercover operative.

By and large the undercover operative trait fits under these parameters well, with perhaps one glaring omission Leland, and perhaps 2 questionable ones Lily Sloane unless she is portraying a character from the holonovel I don’t think that was ever mentioned, and TA Daniels although the latter we do know that is a large part of a temporal agents work similar to say Harris. Now it could be implied to that Etana Jol was working as a covert op for a lot of the time but that is a big assumption.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Yes, absolutely. There are a few older cards that badly need an outright re-draw, and since that doesn't seem likely to be just gifted to us, I'd cheerfully pitch in some dilithium for the cause. (CMO Bashir's 'art' - If we can call it that - is one of my personal pet peeves. I'd don't care that the card is useless. I'd pay real money to fix that.)
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great idea, whether I'd do it or not would depend on the art and I think it would lead to a problem of having "lacking" original art on purpose to make people want the alternate really badly
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Skins" could also - just like in other games - provide some stat benefits. This would make them attractive especially for older cards with outdated stats.

For cosmetics alone I would not spend any other currency than credits, and even that is questionable.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • BakerbeanzBakerbeanz ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    No
  • BakerbeanzBakerbeanz ✭✭✭
    For cosmetics alone I would not spend any other currency than credits, and even that is questionable.

What he said...
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like too many people would mistakenly believe it is a new card, not the existing one. Pass.
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i loved the alternate artwork I'd spend 50 cents sure. DOTA's taught me however some people are insane with their money spending $50-100 for an outfit on one of over 100 characters each of which have many outfits. Some people have no concept of the value of money and I hope this game does not go that far.
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    No
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    Uluru wrote: »
    No

Same
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me double down on my NO by saying this:

The whole point of this game is that it pulls multiple versions of our characters from a "SNAPSHOT" in their timeline. That's the way they end up with multiple different versions of the characters with different stats. The fact that a character is in a certain outfit or pose is literally because it represents the scene or moment from which they were pulled. To that end, DB is free to produce as many "VERSIONS" of the character as they want, not as many outfits as they want.

Swapping the character's art basically takes away what DB has marketed as their unique twist. Now I'm not sure whether the OP simply wants to replace bad art with better art, but I feel like if DB ever wanted to do this, they'd probably have to simply replace every copy at once, to avoid confusion.

This. I recall reading an early Timelines FAQ, and this issue came up. DB said that each piece of artwork has to be approved seperately.

As long as you are approving a new piece of artwork, might as well assign it to a new card.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    And of course u only can fuse cards with the same art...... ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • UGH. Don’t give DB any ideas like this. Please.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    UGH. Don’t give DB any ideas like this. Please.

Thread starter called for it and gave DB ideas....i just pointed out what DB would make of it... And i don t need different artworks for the same crew, we already have enough money grabs in game...no need for another...
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Depends on the cost and it depends on whether DB would then put out bad art to get people to pay for the better art.
    While I understand where this concern comes from, I'm skeptical this would happen. It's probably no cheaper to produce "bad" art, and risks a backlash in terms of sentiment.

This being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see alternate art get a bit more attention, which may comparatively mean the basic looks "bad," even if it's really just a bit more plain.
    In general I wouldn’t object to alternative art however the Etana Jol example is not quite a good example; puns aside she has the undercover operative trait (quite a useful one), when she was in uniform, that variant if you like, was when her cover was blown and she was not actively an undercover operative.
    This is an excellent point for the character. I still think she looks better in the uniform than the bed sheet. And I could see the justification for her having been an undercover operative that episode.

This. I recall reading an early Timelines FAQ, and this issue came up. DB said that each piece of artwork has to be approved seperately.

As long as you are approving a new piece of artwork, might as well assign it to a new card.
    This is a fair point, but DB has a fairly steady release schedule for new characters. They could expand this, but increase the rate of new releases could lead to other problems. Alternate Art avoids this.

There are certainly downsides, including the risk that few players would take them up on this. (And it's not like developing the system for a one card test takes less effort than developing that system for everyone.)
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • No, I would work harder in events to to earn pieces for the ability to build new art but I would not pay for it.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay enough for the crew itself. I would draw the line at art variations. I wouldn’t even spend my precious honor on it
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we just get more sound quotes in game? So few crew have them.
    Let’s fly!
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thought but I think it would cause confusion. Players will end up mistaking secondary art for new characters and spend resources building them up. It will cause a CS backlog trying to fix every mix up.
  • muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Lots of games have multiple art for the same cards. I think it's a great idea! It could be a new revenue stream for DB that doesn't alter game play or give advantage to one player class or another.
    muwoo wrote: »
    Lots of games have multiple art for the same cards. I think it's a great idea! It could be a new revenue stream for DB that doesn't alter game play or give advantage to one player class or another.

Those games also have one CARD for each character. Please refer to my above post for more information.
  • muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭

Those games also have one CARD for each character. Please refer to my above post for more information.

I disagree. Take Magic the Gathering for instance. You can have a single card with 3, 4 or 5 different pieces of art. The functionality doesn't change at all. The name is what ties the functionality to the card, not the art. So Archnia Janeway would always be the same card it is now but you could have a pose from a different shot in the episode so it would still make sense that it's that version of that crew.

I also don't think it's necessary for every crew to have alternate art.

I disagree. Take Magic the Gathering for instance. You can have a single card with 3, 4 or 5 different pieces of art. The functionality doesn't change at all. The name is what ties the functionality to the card, not the art. So Archnia Janeway would always be the same card it is now but you could have a pose from a different shot in the episode so it would still make sense that it's that version of that crew.

I also don't think it's necessary for every crew to have alternate art.

I see where you're coming from, but I have to reiterate that the only true reason to ever change the art would be to correct absolute travesties like Mirror Data and Blood Oath Jadzia Dax. And to that I would add, if they replaced the art, they'd have to replace ALL copies at once and announce it, to avoid confusion.