Home Ready Room
Options

The importance of Shuttles

muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
I run shuttles all the time but I'm starting to wonder why. I do the 7 to complete the daily missions and of course I need to run them during events but should I keep running them all the time? Every once in a while when I need something I can only get from a certain faction I'll do a bunch of those until I get it but it take so long to get those med kits or whatever. I think the stuff I get back is junk most of the time. Is that the case? What is the real benefit of running shuttles once you have done the daily missions?

Comments

• Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    muwoo wrote: »
    What is the real benefit of running shuttles once you have done the daily missions?
    Trainers (aka Rep fuel)

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the real benefit of running shuttles once you have done the daily missions?

I mostly run them past the two batches for dailies in order to help my fleet get the daily honor for doing faction missions at this point.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Trainers (aka Rep fuel)

That's what I use most of my trainers for.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I run them constantly to stockpile equipment. I generally have 80% of what I need for any given crew and rarely run out of any faction-only supply except 0* holoprograms and 2* science experiments. I had too many times where I was held up waiting for shuttles.

Edit:
    Also, if you run extra shuttles, it can help make up for fleet mates with fewer shuttles or whi simply are not able to that day.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    I run them constantly to stockpile equipment. I generally have 80% of what I need for any given crew and rarely run out of any faction-only supply except 0* holoprograms and 2* science experiments. I had too many times where I was held up waiting for shuttles.

Edit:
    Also, if you run extra shuttles, it can help make up for fleet mates with fewer shuttles or whi simply are not able to that day.

Ah, that's a great point. I don't mind running them and if it helps the fleet.

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Faction-only items
    2) Trainers
    3) Faction rep (unless you're already at Honored status)
    4) Daily fleet rewards and daily mission rewards

Holoprograms, gagh, security codes, science experiments, bloodwine, ancient films, orchids...all can be challenging to keep in stock even with certain away mission, ship battles, and cadet missions that will drop them. 3* alcohol is another tough item to get from missions at a reasonable rate, which is why I prefer to run Klingon or Terran Empire shuttles in events and, occasionally, outside of events.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Dirk Gunderson . I don't need more trainers of more rep but helping out the fleet is always good. And I do look for those faction only items but it seems like the chances of getting the stuff I need are so low that I could often just replicate what I need.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    My question really comes from reading posts about crew strengths. And I don't know how much I should factor in shuttles. Probably not much.
  • Options
    I have several tanked (intentionally failed back down to 30 second mission) factions, and often I will not do anything shuttle-related things until the end of the day, and run 14-16 30 second missions to hit my dailies. Shuttles are dead last in my priority list outside of faction events.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    I have tried that technique after reading about it here but it seemed like a lot of work
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Also, great name.
  • Options
    [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Also, great name.

Thanks!
    I have tried that technique after reading about it here but it seemed like a lot of work

It can be, but it only takes about a week depending on how many successes you've had, and once you've done it it doesn't take much to maintain. I understand that it's not for everyone.
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    I watched Space Mutiny about a month ago for probably the 10th time.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Be Prepared" basically, I'm running shuttles for the following factions on a near constant basis (like others above):

Section 31 - 0* Holoprogram
    Federation - 0* Ancient Film
    Augment - 2* Science Experiment
    (Borg - some of the above items ...)

These items can only be obtained that way (or through Borg shuttles) and almost every single crew I level up needs those items in some amount.
    For example ... Fugitive Spock (who we all get through the Campaign) needs Holoprograms, Ancient Film and 2* Science Experiments!
    So, I've never got more than a handful of each and would like to build a stock of 100+ (at least) for each.

- I use the leftover crew after I've staffed up a Voyage ... not really bothered about success percentage;
    - I don't really use the replicator, except for the odd item that really irritates me (3* Champagne, 3* Psych Eval. Holoprogram etc.).
    - Once in a blue moon I run other factions ... I ran Dominion for a week a while back to restock on their specific items.
    - I don't religiously send out shuttles every 3 hours, I just do so when I log on ... just making sure to do it twice a day and to help out the fleet as much as possible.

For any beginner/intermediate player it is probably critical to send out shuttles as often as possible to be able to level up the boatloads of crew who come in ... for the advanced player there's not as much need (if any really) ... I've only got around 2-3 crew to level, have max trainers, have almost all the equipment I need to ... so I get where you are coming from.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you feel your inventory is sufficiently stocked in faction only items, then no, there isn't much reason for it to be an important part of your regular, non-event game play. I don't feel I can ever have enough Ancient Films, Holoprograms, Science Experiments, or Security Codes. Voyages are my priority, so my A-team goes on those, and whoever's left over gets sent on shuttles.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    The benefits of running shuttles far outweighs the cost in merits. So run them as often as you can, but don't let it stress you out if they sit for a few hours or overnight now and then.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    I think I'll continue to run them. Thanks for the input, everyone!
  • Options
    I typically run 4 shuttles twice daily on 3 hour missions. I don’t know why 🤔.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first piece of (good) advice I ever received in UC was to always keep my shuttlecraft flying. After almost three years of playing, I still do so, mostly out of habit. 🖖

P.S.: Y’all don’t want to know what the bad advice was, trust me. UC hasn’t changed much. :|
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust